PDA

View Full Version : Help Pricing Trim Jobs

JConner
08-16-2008, 02:11 PM
I was mowing one of my regular weekly customers earlier this morning and she simple asked me if i could trim her bushes. i jumped the gun of coarse and said sure 20.00 dollars. She only has a row of 6 lugustrums 4 ft tall and 3 ft wide and 4 singular boxwoods. she jumped on it. Maybe 30 minutes tops cleaned up and out of there. I'm not sure how everyone prices is there a hourly rate. i know you dont charge the customer hourly rate but i was wondering how to price these jobs. She said yes so quick i was thinking her last guy must of charged her more
sorry posted the last one in the wrong place
thanks for any help
Justin

TPLawnPro
08-16-2008, 02:48 PM
Hello there Justin from Inverness. We purchased our boat down there about 5 years ago from Apopka Marine and trailered it all the way back here to Metairie, Louisiana.
We thoroughly enjoyed the trip.

As for trimming shrubs, IMO, you probably did alright. Usually whenever we take on additional tasks other than routine mowing maintenance, we charge our clients $30 per hour for things like shrub trimming, tree pruning, weed pulling, etc. However, if we can forsee that it is going to be a potentially messy job that might take 30 minutes to an hour, I will charge them a flat rate of $45; but in all actuality $30 per hour seems to be just right.

Hope this helps.

JConner
08-16-2008, 03:22 PM
thanks i didnt think that that was too cheap but just wanted to double check
ive really allways been that way just enough to get the job but now i am starting to see that not only do i not make enough money on some of these jobs but i am also lowballin and well i just dont want to be that kind of gut but thanks for the help

kabrac
08-16-2008, 04:32 PM
Knee high shrubbery $3.50 a shrub. Knee to chest high $5.00 a shrub. Over chest high $10.00 and up. Grooming, shaping, out of control, whatever, I think this is a fair price. Never hourly on shrubbery for me.

JConner
08-16-2008, 04:35 PM
thanks for the help

daveyo
08-16-2008, 09:46 PM
Have you ever sat down and figured out every last expense it cost to run your business? I have a long list in excel and in an expense program. My list is huge, Gas (equipment & trucks), five different insurances, repairs (equipment & vehicles), oil, maintenance (equipment & vehicles) huge list for that, advertising, dues, subscriptions, licenses the list goes on and on. After figuring all of it out add it all up divide it by how many hours you work in a year that number will be your hourly expense rate (what it takes to keep your business a float) now from there add your your salary. Your not making squat mowing, nobody really does but its a great way to up sell, a $20 rate for trimming wont even cover my cost for cleaning up the trimmings let along having to dump it. trimming isn't easy it takes special tools and skill to trim properly, your selling your self way short.

capnsac
08-16-2008, 11:29 PM
Do what TPlawnpro suggested. $30/hr is extremely reasonable, but be sure to charge them for disposal separately, and while you are disposing those clippings be sure to continue to charge them that hourly rate. Once all is said and done you will have made yourself some good money. Best of luck

ALC-GregH
08-17-2008, 09:44 AM
I charged one of my customers $20 to prune 5 small bushes. It took me 10 minutes. If it's going to take 30 minutes or more, I'll charge an hourly rate, otherwise, $20-$30 is fine.

ALC-GregH
08-17-2008, 09:49 AM
I have one customer that wants me to trim all of the shrubs and bushes but doesn't want to pay anymore then what she pays to mow. The grass is slowing down a bit so every other week, I mow but every other week I trim now. I get $65 to mow, I started trimming and work 1 hour every other week to do trimming. Next week I'll only mow.

Mike's LawnCare Landscape
08-17-2008, 10:01 AM
I have one customer that wants me to trim all of the shrubs and bushes but doesn't want to pay anymore then what she pays to mow. The grass is slowing down a bit so every other week, I mow but every other week I trim now. I get $65 to mow, I started trimming and work 1 hour every other week to do trimming. Next week I'll only mow.
Thats what IM doing now . Grass is slow and I do a little extra on other things !!!
Last week I got 3 more jobs on the same rd!!!:)
It pays to be nice

TPLawnPro
08-17-2008, 05:20 PM
Do what TPlawnpro suggested. $30/hr is extremely reasonable, but be sure to charge them for disposal separately, and while you are disposing those clippings be sure to continue to charge them that hourly rate. Once all is said and done you will have made yourself some good money. Best of luck

Absolutely capnsac! I failed to mention that.
Great feedback!

grassyfras
08-17-2008, 05:42 PM
I would of at least charge them $50 without seeing the job. The reason being is that no one would come to her house for $20, unless she resorts to craigslist but thats unlikely. You also have to dispose of the stuff. Even if you throw that away at your trash can at home its still a hassle and takes time. And my other point is that she already knows the work you do and she hasn't fired you yet. So , she trusts you to do a good job and will probbly have a reasonable price. That alone will get you some extra money.

david shumaker
08-18-2008, 08:55 PM
I would of at least charge them $50 without seeing the job. The reason being is that no one would come to her house for $20, unless she resorts to craigslist but thats unlikely. You also have to dispose of the stuff. Even if you throw that away at your trash can at home its still a hassle and takes time. And my other point is that she already knows the work you do and she hasn't fired you yet. So , she trusts you to do a good job and will probbly have a reasonable price. That alone will get you some extra money.

I'm with you. It cost more than $20.00 in trip time and gas just to get to someone's house if they live more than a few miles away. I'm thinking of charging a 2 hour minimum if I have to make a special trip. It's a different story if I'm already at the house and they want me to do some clipping, etc. I get people that want an estimate on 1 or 2 hours work before I do it. It's getting too costly to drive to the house, give estimate and sometimes have to come back after they make up their mind. When I call someone to do work at my house like a plumber, etc....they charge at least $120.00 to come look. There's no thinking about it with them. They either do the job then or you pay the money for looking. They also want their money before they leave the house. They always ask "how are you going to pay....credit card?"

Lawnut101
08-19-2008, 12:41 AM
I just look at the shrubs and figure a price. Usually around $10/ bush for bigger ones, plus a dump fee for the time going to the dump and back. I charge about $15 to $20 for that. In time, you will get good enough to make better estimates. The first time jobs for anything always suck, always take longer, and are always a learning experience. I'm not a pro yet, I'm still learning, but I'm getting a lot better at pricing stuff. It sounds like you didn't do too bad though for your first job. Keep it up.

One other thing. When I quote a job, I never, never give a price to the person right away. I don't like feeling presse. I like to go home and think logically about it. I just tell them I have to go and run some numbers or something like that. Which is not a lie, it's the truth. Also, I'm the type of person that may forget about something. Just today I had a meeting with a lady. I got out the quote, and I realized I forgot to put in one stupid $20 thing. Not a big deal, but:hammerhead:!!!!! So, yeah. Keep working hard, you'll get the hang of it.

JConner
08-19-2008, 12:57 AM
thanks forr everyones help i was there today right after i had one to mow across the street it it took me 20 minutes to trim and about 5 to dump it in the woods (his property) I told him if i had to haul it that would cost him another 15 and he said throw it in the woods. i think everthing worked out good but i think i could have got more but you live and learn. Being 19 probly doesn't help much but thanks to every person that had somthing usefull to say im trying to be one of those few legit business's here its tuff with all of the compotion