PDA

View Full Version : how do you know how many lawn's to take on

tedfrk
08-16-2008, 03:38 PM
my dad and i are starting this business together i am going to run the cutting service and he is going to run the installs,we are planning on getting everything legalized by the 1st of the year.how do you guys know when you have enough lawn clients?i dont want to take on to many right now we have 13 and we split them up between 2 days i can do more then that but this is part time for me this year.i would like to have enough accounts to cut on wed thur and fri .but how do you handle it if the weather does not cooperate?iknow working sat and overtime is a must for running your own business i dont mind putting in the time.i just have so many question's.thanks for all your help

hackitdown
08-16-2008, 05:18 PM
That is a tough question. In my case, I can cut 7 or 8 lawns per day solo, or 13 to 15 max per day with a helper.

I schedule cutting for Tues/Wed/Thurs, so I have Friday as a rain day, and sometimes I cut on Monday if I fall way behind. I tried wed/thurs/fri last year, but it didn't work for me when it rained. This year I am running one truck with a helper, 2 mowers, 2 trimmers, etc. We have been cutting 35 to 38 lawns in 3 days. So an average of 12 per day.

FYI, I tried 2 helpers one day, and we did 19 in a day with 2 guys mowing, and one trimming/blowing. In 7 hours.

mowerbrad
08-16-2008, 05:30 PM
Mowing solo I can usually get 2 lawns done per hour. If I had a helper I would probably be able to get 3 lawns done per hour. If you have a fairly tight route you should be able to get all 13 of your accounts done in one 8 hour day (depending on average size). Do your own experiment and see how long it takes you to do all 13 of your accounts in 1 day. If you can get them all done in 1 day then I would say 39 accounts would be what you want to get for next year. Best of luck!

BLL4285
08-16-2008, 05:44 PM
I don't think there is necessarily a limit...If you're new to it, it will take you twice as long as an experienced person per lawn...When I was younger I had about 15 and could do them in 1 day but it felt rushed...but with experience you learn how to do everything faster and more efficiently.

Personally I can handle 25-30 a day by myself...and i use wb's only...but I'll admit...this wasn't a fun spring for me and for the first month i felt like i was gonna die at the end of everyday (my hands especially)

railman
08-16-2008, 07:24 PM
I don't think there is necessarily a limit...If you're new to it, it will take you twice as long as an experienced person per lawn...When I was younger I had about 15 and could do them in 1 day but it felt rushed...but with experience you learn how to do everything faster and more efficiently.

Personally I can handle 25-30 a day by myself...and i use wb's only...but I'll admit...this wasn't a fun spring for me and for the first month i felt like i was gonna die at the end of everyday (my hands especially)

experience helps a lot. 25-30? damn that's a lot of yards for a solo man. the most I've done in one day by myself is 15 and it took me 10 hrs to do and I was beat by the time I got to the house. and I use a ztr. drive time kills me. next year tighter routes.

ericmcj31
08-16-2008, 07:31 PM

:hammerhead:I'd like to see those lawns--either they are postage stamp size or you're not doing something right--they'res NO WAY you could even drive to that many in a day (unless they're part of a neighborhood or something)-but to each his own I guess-for every bad job someone's putting out-there's someone like me waiting to do them good job:laugh::clapping: just be careful-running yourself to death like that might make the old ticker throw in the white flag!*trucewhiteflag*

cowboytim
08-16-2008, 07:47 PM
I do 24-27 a day by myself. All very close some can do three in one stopp with a 52" walk behind

ALC-GregH
08-17-2008, 09:11 AM
I don't think it matters what anyone else can cut in a days time. Most properties are different and will take more or less time to mow then others. Priced right you could only have to mow 5 a day and still yield the same profit from mowing 10 or even 15 a day. Personally, I'd rather have 20-25 that pay more money. It will be less headache maintaining the work and customers.

ALC-GregH
08-17-2008, 09:12 AM
With that said, you have to find them first. :)

J&R Landscaping
08-17-2008, 09:21 AM
How large are the lawns you are targeting?

I generally work solo and can get 10-13 done per day. If you are looking at 2 days worth of work, I'd say 18-20 would be a good start. Once you get the feel, you can add more if you want to.

socallawndude
08-17-2008, 01:55 PM
Just do as many as you can, but be sure not to overbook, as I've found side jobs are typically more lucrative and not only that, they serve to break up the monotony. However, if all you want is lawns, what the hell take as many as you can get better to have too much work than not enough...

Big C
08-17-2008, 07:47 PM

25-30 solo a day including drive time, lunch and breaks...it's getting deep in here today.:nono::laugh:

J.A.G LAWNCARE
08-17-2008, 11:15 PM
you can not go by how many yards ...............its the price per yard you go by ..........
...................................................................................................
one day i do 20 yards solo , the next i do 8 make the same on both days .....i like the smaller yards you know how long it will take week after week ... bigger yards can some times take longer to make look good from week to week ............

JohnnyCuts
08-18-2008, 10:12 AM
30 yards, average 15 min on each and 3 minutes drive time = 9 hours. Not unheard of..

J.A.G LAWNCARE
08-18-2008, 06:32 PM
30 yards, average 15 min on each and 3 minutes drive time = 9 hours. Not unheard of..

good job :cool2::cool2::cool2:

J&R Landscaping
08-19-2008, 08:47 PM

How large are these yards and how many guys in your crew?

bigw
08-19-2008, 09:00 PM
I did only 7 lawns today because 2 canceld due to grass has not grown since last week at all and i still made $440.00 today.
Now my buddy did 19 lawns and made around 600.00$ "but" had to pay his helper a days pay so its all relavent to your route and size of lawns and oh yeah did i mention knowing how to price those lawns? Oh and my work day was over at 1;30 and i believe his was over around 6pm and i started at 930am.

J.A.G LAWNCARE
08-19-2008, 09:34 PM
$110 per hour mowing solo not a bad day ..................

AzLawnMan
08-20-2008, 12:12 AM
I run 2 guys in each one of my crews (2). And I rotate myself depending on the day and what I have scheduled. Now I usually do my own thing on friday(buy parts, bid, run errands, etc) WIth a crew of 2 they usually average between 12-15 yards a day each crew also depending on the size. I schedule work for 5 days a week mon-fri. Why do some of you only schedule a few days a week?