PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor lighting demand?

Hicks
08-16-2008, 06:10 PM
I am a licensed electrician. I have been kicking the idea around of doing outdoor lighting. I was wondering what the demand is. I want to focus with commercial work, however Residential is of interest.

Thanks

NightScenes
08-16-2008, 06:25 PM
Nobody wants lighting these days, it's probably a thing of the past. Just joking. It does pretty well if you know how to design it properly and then install a maintenance free system. I have been an electrician for many years and never knew how much was involved in landscape and achitectural lighting. Do your homework and learn it as a craft instead of a trade and you'll do well.

Pro-Scapes
08-17-2008, 08:08 AM
also depends alot on the demographics of your area.

Hicks
08-17-2008, 08:42 AM
Thanks for your input guys. Location Raleigh, NC.

Nightscenes, do you have any good links, book, threads that might be of use?

I agree lighting is a different animal or niche. I am on a research mission. I will continue searches on this forum.

Thanks again.

NightScenes
08-17-2008, 08:48 AM
The first thing I would do is read this forum, there is a ton of info here. Then go to the AOLP website where you can check out their bookstore which will have all of the books that you'll need.

Raleigh should be a very good place for a quality lighting company.

Good luck,

Mark B
08-17-2008, 09:27 AM
There are several lighting compaines in the raleigh area. I'm sure there is room for more. Raleigh is a big area, plus it is growing.

Take what Paul said and spend some time on the site lurking and reading past threads. There are some great lighitng guys on here that have posted alot of great info.

cgaengineer
08-17-2008, 03:05 PM
Thanks for your input guys. Location Raleigh, NC.

Nightscenes, do you have any good links, book, threads that might be of use?

I agree lighting is a different animal or niche. I am on a research mission. I will continue searches on this forum.

Thanks again.

Check out The Landscape Lighting Resource Manual by Nate Mullen (http://www.uniquelighting.com/education/Bookpage.html)(Owner of Unique Lighting). Great book, but get the hardcover.

PaperCutter
08-18-2008, 08:12 AM
Check out The Landscape Lighting Resource Manual by Nate Mullen (http://www.uniquelighting.com/education/Bookpage.html)(Owner of Unique Lighting). Great book, but get the hardcover.

why- is there info that's not included in the wirebound?

cgaengineer
08-18-2008, 08:24 AM
why- is there info that's not included in the wirebound?

Its the exact same book, but the pages are easy to tear out in the wirebound. If you can be careful the wirebound will be fine.

PaperCutter
08-18-2008, 09:43 AM
that's a relief! I ordered the wirebound over the weekend, I was afraid I made a huge mistake!

JoeyD
08-18-2008, 02:17 PM
I love the wirebound for keeping with you in your truck. The Hardback is nice for on the desk! It really is like a manual you can refer to while on the job to help you solve tricky situations. There are some cool things in the book that you electricians will really eat up, like the section where it shows you how to use our 240v transformers where you have 240v a/c power supply.

Let me know if you have questions. My rep will be teaching a lot of seminars in and around the carolina's. She can really bring you up to speed. Feel free to contact me and I will be happy to send you out plenty more info!!

Tomwilllight
08-24-2008, 08:12 PM
Hey Hicks,

You may want to look at my web site. On it, I reviewed all of the books on landscape lighting I could find that weren't published by a manufacturer.

The link to the reviews is:
http://www.wlld.us/book_reviews/index.shtml

If you are really serious about this lighting stuff, I recommend you invest in Janet L. Moyer's "The Landscape Lighting Book". It's a tough read but well worth the effort.

Tom

David Gretzmier
08-24-2008, 09:56 PM
Tom- checked out your website. nice reviews, very professional website. love the photo's of trees in the seasons. would love to see more lighting photo's on homes.

Tomwilllight
08-25-2008, 10:45 AM
I really wanted my web site to be available to assist both consumers and the industry in some way. I thought the reviews would be a good way to do both and help me to deepen my understanding of our industry and craft.

I just don't get many clients who want their house lighted. I've done a few, but mostly they have asked that I not publish any photos that could ID their home. The one exception is posted somewhere - either here or at AOLP. I guess there's really something about the New Englander's native reticence.

Gotta love that Japanese Maple... I fell into the pool photographing it. Fortunately that happened while taking the winter shot. The pool cover was on and the worst part was that I ended up wet and cold. I managed to keep the camera and tripod above the ice melt pooled on the cover.

Tom