PDA

View Full Version : What is a good product for killing grass that will last

QualityLawnCare4u
08-17-2008, 02:11 AM
I have some rental property that I am tired of spraying roundup on and it only lasting 3 weeks or so. What is a good product that will kill everything and last for awhile. I had a gallon jug few years back that a client gave to me, don't remember what it was called but it was purple. Where I sprayed it burned it off for over a year. You could not even get bahai to grow back in that spot! Pesticides and herbidices are not my expertise since I will not spray it for any clients until I get certified.

grass4gas
08-17-2008, 08:28 AM
Sahara 2g will give you the results you want. However, and this is very important... Keep it away from any tree or trees or shrubs that are in the middle of turf or along the border of where you are planning to spray, as this product will be taken up by the feeder roots and can harm and possibly kill the trees and shrubs.

I believe this is a "restricted use" only product, so you would have to be certified to purchase this.

If these properties are your personal homes, Ortho use to or still does make a product called Triox, which is also a soil sterilizer and will work up to a year. Ortho is usually found in the True Value hardware stores, but may be in other stores as well.

Good luck
Jack

QualityLawnCare4u
08-17-2008, 10:12 AM
Thanks Jack. Yeah, I figured you had to have license to get the real good stuff but will check with he HW store. Last time I checked at the local True Value and Blowes they did not have anything like I wanted or you listed.

teeca
08-17-2008, 11:06 AM
try a mix of round up, pre-m (grass weeds), and gallary (broadleaf weeds).. thats what i use around buildings and no need to worry about harming trees and shrubs (from leaching/run off)

Marcos
08-17-2008, 12:30 PM
If you're getting into trying to control the more serious woody stuff like asian honeysuckle, russian olive, multiflora rose, and YES, even kudzu:cry:...

A lot of folks, including myself, have had great success with Tordon RTU, usually as a 'paint on' product, to be applied by brush immediately after cutting everything down to within 2" to 3" of the ground.

Here's info on it:
http://www.dowagro.com/usag/prod/051.htm

This stuff is perfect for fencelines, because it is applied to the woody part of the plant & trans-located quickly through the roots.
It's quite unlike stuff like Sahara, which has to be 'locked into' the SOIL before it can work.
And picloram, the main A.I. of Tordon, has a MUCH longer residual than does diquat, in what's sold in Roundup Quikpro.

Tordon RTU also already includes a blue tracker dye...so you and your people can easily see the stumps you've painted, vs. the ones you haven't.
But again....it must be painted on the exposed cambium of the 'woody'...IMMEDIATELY after cutting it down to a stump!

I'll bet I've killed 100 acres worth of CRUD in my lifetime with this stuff....(so far!)