PDA

View Full Version : Chevy 2500HD "REDUCING ENGINE POWER"

Brian B
08-17-2008, 01:32 AM
I have a 2003 Chevy 2500HD and whenever I am pulling a heavy load such as a dump trailer of mulch, a bobcat excavator, soil, etc... I always seem to get this messageon the message center of the truck saying "Reducing Engine Power" and my transmission light comes on. why is this?

Thanks

coolluv
08-17-2008, 07:12 AM
It sounds like the transmission is on its way out. It is probably slipping and that triggers the computer to reduce power. Are you running an after market programmer?

Dave...

TandM
08-17-2008, 10:04 AM
I agree with the above maybe put a bottle of tranny slip in it. that should help some what. how many miles are on it?

Brian B
08-17-2008, 10:48 AM
no programmer, its all stock. there's about 104K miles on it. it doesnt feel like its slipping or anything, but maybe it is and i just dont feel it because the weight behind it. once the transmission cools back down to about 150 the transmission light goes off and the message goes away too. we took it to the dealership and they couldnt fix it. we thought they did, but obviously not.

fool32696
08-17-2008, 11:32 AM
Gas or the diesel with the allison?

Brian B
08-17-2008, 12:33 PM
just gas. i wish it was diesel with an allison :weightlifter:

fool32696
08-17-2008, 12:41 PM
Is it doing it around town or on the highway in overdrive? When pulling heavy with my duramax I get some slip in O/D. I'm surprised I haven't gotten a message like you. I monitor slip with my Edge.

nosparkplugs
08-17-2008, 01:50 PM
I have a 2003 Chevy 2500HD and whenever I am pulling a heavy load such as a dump trailer of mulch, a bobcat excavator, soil, etc... I always seem to get this messageon the message center of the truck saying "Reducing Engine Power" and my transmission light comes on. why is this?

Thanks

AHHH, The Chevrolet "limp mode" no matter the model diesel or gasoline allison 1000 or not you can get the "limp mode". Many You-tube video's posted buy pissed off chevrolet owners regarding this problem. If it is your transmission I would have it rebuilt heavy duty for towing, if out of warranty. These issues can happen to anyone, but it's frustrating regardless of the truck brand; hence you never ever have too much truck.

GravelyNut
08-17-2008, 04:14 PM
That "limp mode" is the truck's way of telling you the tranny is overheating.

On the 8.1 with the Allison the limp mode is to kill the A/C compressor till the tranny cools down. It doesn't cut the power unless the engine temp gets too high.

GravelyNut
08-17-2008, 04:25 PM
no programmer, its all stock. there's about 104K miles on it. it doesnt feel like its slipping or anything, but maybe it is and i just dont feel it because the weight behind it. once the transmission cools back down to about 150 the transmission light goes off and the message goes away too. we took it to the dealership and they couldnt fix it. we thought they did, but obviously not.
Does your tranny have a guage on it or is that a guess? For the Allison the temp would be about 260° before you notice anything.

TandM
08-17-2008, 05:09 PM
go get her rebuilt or install a tranny cooler.

topsites
08-17-2008, 05:24 PM
That "limp mode" is the truck's way of telling you the tranny is overheating.

Ding ding ding!

Install a transmission cooler and your problem is fixed.
I would also go ahead and get the trans fluid and filter serviced.

TandM
08-17-2008, 05:26 PM
agreed this would be the easiest way to fix it.

nosparkplugs
08-17-2008, 06:38 PM
The 2500HD already comes with an OEM transmission cooler, you might need a larger transmission cooler; which would be aftermarket. IMO you overloading the transmission with what your towing or hauling

4 seasons lawn&land
08-17-2008, 06:59 PM
Limp mode doesnt alow the truck to go over like 20 mph so Im not sure its that...

capetan
08-17-2008, 07:25 PM
yeap, definitely a transmission cooling issue if the factory cooler isnt keeping it cool, your probably towing to much, or driving in severe conditions (high speeds, hilly conditions, heavy loads, or some sort of combination) ...... so stop towing so much, i wouldn't worry about it if your traveling short distances ( less than 15 miles or so), but if your traveling alot it may be a potential problem in the future

nosparkplugs
08-17-2008, 08:10 PM
With 104K, its time for a rebuild or upgrade to a larger truck if you don't want to spend the cheese on a tranny rebuild. Or a cheap short term fix is dump a bottle of Lucas transmission fix in it, will buy you some time. Did it with my 1999 Dodge 2500 gasburner at 185,000 miles on a 47RE, bought me another 10,500 miles before my rebuild. My transmission guy said Lucas Transmission fix is a great product when your transmission is "going" out. it will fill the gaps in the worn clutch plates & increase line pressures. Where if you put it in a new transmission Lucas transmission fix would destroy a new or properly shifting transmission. Please try it, what do you have to loose. Your out of warranty I would assume?

Brian B
08-17-2008, 11:59 PM
Does your tranny have a guage on it or is that a guess? For the Allison the temp would be about 260° before you notice anything.

yeah it has a gauge, it kicks into "limp mode" at about 225 or so. the max speed is about 15mph. it sucks but for what i do i am not hauliung that heavy all the time or i would just trade in the truck for one with less miles and probably go diesel next time. it seemed to do ok today. i tried just keeping it in 3rd and not drive to keep my RPMs up and have the OD on and it seemed to help

GravelyNut
08-18-2008, 04:17 PM
yeah it has a gauge, it kicks into "limp mode" at about 225 or so. the max speed is about 15mph. it sucks but for what i do i am not hauliung that heavy all the time or i would just trade in the truck for one with less miles and probably go diesel next time. it seemed to do ok today. i tried just keeping it in 3rd and not drive to keep my RPMs up and have the OD on and it seemed to help

When was the last time the fluid and filter were changed? And what type ATF is it using? Does the fluid look or smell burnt? Like the others have said, it might just need a better cooler or less load. But 225° isn't too bad if it is a synthetic ATF.

02DURAMAX
08-20-2008, 03:33 AM
AHHH, The Chevrolet "limp mode" no matter the model diesel or gasoline allison 1000 or not you can get the "limp mode". Many You-tube video's posted buy pissed off chevrolet owners regarding this problem. If it is your transmission I would have it rebuilt heavy duty for towing, if out of warranty. These issues can happen to anyone, but it's frustrating regardless of the truck brand; hence you never ever have too much truck.

And thats a good thing to have!!!!!

LawnProLandCare
08-21-2008, 12:31 AM
get the largest tranny cooler you can fit in there installed, there a lot less than a tranny costs, and geta good tranny temp gauge installed, stock ones are JUNK. if your truck has been on jobsites its hole life theres a possibility your tranny cooler is clogged up with dust, concrete dust, etc. .. had that happen on my super duty over the winter, was plowing a lot and could feel the truck shifting weird so i checked the fluid and it was burned, took it too the tranny shop and had a complete flush, largest cooler i could fit in there installed and an a new aftermarket temp gauge installed to keep an eye on things and it runs fine now .

nosparkplugs
08-21-2008, 06:25 PM
get the largest tranny cooler you can fit in there installed, there a lot less than a tranny costs, and geta good tranny temp gauge installed, stock ones are JUNK. if your truck has been on jobsites its hole life theres a possibility your tranny cooler is clogged up with dust, concrete dust, etc. .. had that happen on my super duty over the winter, was plowing a lot and could feel the truck shifting weird so i checked the fluid and it was burned, took it too the tranny shop and had a complete flush, largest cooler i could fit in there installed and an a new aftermarket temp gauge installed to keep an eye on things and it runs fine now .

Good point, I cleaned my radiator, Intercooler, and transmission cooler off last week was filthy dirty:laugh: Something that easy can come back to screw yah.