PDA

View Full Version : Sod Not looking Well

White Gardens
08-17-2008, 09:14 AM
I just did a 5000 sq, ft sod job.

Tilled the soil, threw down fertilizer, and laid the sod. The sod in the shaded areas is looking great.

The sod in the front yard is browning out pretty good in the full sun and low humidity we've had lately, and I'm afraid it's not going to make it. How long and how bad can it get before it snaps back, or is it too far gone.

I'll post a pic tonight after I go check it out again. Also, it has been watered very well every day since laid last Wed.

Smallaxe
08-17-2008, 10:56 AM
This is one time overwatering is desireable IMO.

Summer sod can stay soggy all day long if necessary and survive. We had a good example of that last summer.

socallawndude
08-17-2008, 02:44 PM
Out here in the land of the blazing sun I can tell you seldom is it ever too far gone, pretty common in my neck of the woods. If it's only been since wed. you should be fine, just soak the hell out of it.

EagleLandscape
08-17-2008, 08:25 PM
is the new sod being irrigated?

PerfectEarth
08-17-2008, 08:31 PM
I'll third the watering. We just laid 10 pallets this past week in full sun and you can SOAK it in the morning but by afternoon, it's looking crisp again.

The full sun and low humidity will take it's toll...even though it feels really great!

FordLawnLandscape
08-17-2008, 08:51 PM
What type of sod is it ? If its Bermuda its got a great chance of making it. Depending on the sod it may , some are more Hardy than others.

DBL
08-17-2008, 08:58 PM
water water water...if youre not watering it you need to make sure the customer is or it will die

White Gardens
08-18-2008, 09:38 AM
The Deal was that I have been at a local festival advertising my bus the last three days, so my mother-in-law, and sister-in-law have been watering it for me. (I got lucky as they only live 5 blocks away from this sod job)

I got a call from the mother law stating that the sod looked bad and was turning brown pretty badly. They kept up on the watering extremely well too.

I went last night at the end of the festival, and the sod looks great. I do have a few brown patches, but I'm starting to get green grass that is starting to show up in the spots, so it didn't die.

Thanks for the replies, I just freaked out sat. night and posted, not knowing if I had some other issues besides watering, and without actually looking at it.

I'm so relieved, I charged extra for the job to help water the lawn. The gentleman doesn't live there, the house is empty, and on top of it he is getting ready for school this year. (teacher)

I know there is no guarantee on sod, but I strive to do every job as good as the last.

Whitey4
08-19-2008, 04:39 PM
Man, I would have waited another three weeks before doing the install... the turf would not have gotten nearly so stressed. I also like to add compost to jobs like that before laying the sod, it seems to help a lot with water retention.

White Gardens
08-20-2008, 06:38 PM
Oh, I agree Whitey, would of been much better to wait.

Ultimately they want the house on the market in the next week, so It needed to be done sooner than later.

Of course, house flips come with budgets too...:wall

Lawnworks
08-20-2008, 06:53 PM
Isn't it the customer's responsibility to water? I tell my clients if you don't have an irrigation system... your sod will more than likely die. I set my irrigation systems to run 3-4 times a day for 20-30 minutes per zone.

White Gardens
08-20-2008, 08:40 PM
Yes, it is their responsibility. The gentleman in charge of the estate doesn't live in the house, and he is a teacher and starting school this week.

He requested watering for the first week and a half. Of course I charged extra, and I'm getting paid for the time spent.

Even though I am charging more, I like to put as much effort into every job as I can possibly muster without losing profits. So far, my company is being known for the extra attention to quality service, and follow-ups after the job has been completed.

Does it come at a price for my customers, you bet. I'm not trying to over-charge, but I'm charging for time spent.

You don't need an irrigation system for sod, but, it takes a lot of effort to use hoses and sprinklers.

Lawnworks
08-20-2008, 10:35 PM
What about an automatic timer off the spicket w/ garden hose sprinklers?

STRINGALATION
08-21-2008, 02:30 AM
i commend you on the extra service up charge. that is something i look to associate with my company going that extra mile but at a cost. i have a daisy chain sprinkler system i use. from my little sod experience water is always the culprit BUT WATCH FOR GRUBS AS WELL no body mentioned that they will also brown out a yard. do your roll back checks is it browning and taking root . i hope for the best for you but last year water was not the only culprit in a brown out i had. GRUBS WERE pretty infested in there aswell

White Gardens
08-21-2008, 10:21 AM
What about an automatic timer off the spicket w/ garden hose sprinklers?

I did buy timers for the two faucets in the yard, and a couple of "square" coverage sprinklers. I think I'm covering around 600 square feet each time, that way when the owner takes over, he can move them and leave. The weather is starting to turn from hot and dry to cloudy and humid, so that will definitivly help too.

I also suggested a walking (tractor) sprinkler too so he can get about 70% of the yard watered without being there, then he might have to spend a little time soaking the edges after it has shut off.

I'm watching for grubs, I didn't notice any in the sod when it came to me, so in a couple of weeks I'm going to do a follow-up when they start feeding bad. The JB were pretty bad this year, so grubs might be an issue.

Thanks for all the replies.