PDA

View Full Version : Dry Construction Patio Steps-double checking

4 seasons lawn&land
08-17-2008, 11:19 AM
Just want to make sure I have everything straight for 200+ sq ft flagstone patio in NY where theres deep freezes.

dig 5-6" base with dingo

Lay fabric

2-3" stone dust-tamp down (plate compactor?)

Set rock

fill cracks

bigviclbi
08-17-2008, 11:59 AM
If you have deep freezes you are going to want to dig down about a 10". lay seperation fabric, than 6" quarry process compacted in 2" lifts, 1"-1.5" stone dust, than stone and fill in cracks.

forestfireguy
08-17-2008, 05:19 PM
I'm with Big V, exactly what I'd do here for a patio, but did you say steps ? and deep freezes ? I don't know how far north your talking but cheap insurance is deeper base, especially for steps, always the first thing to fail, and whatever you do compact the S**T out of it, don't forget subgrade, what's it like, does it call for a serious overdig????

4 seasons lawn&land
08-17-2008, 06:27 PM
seperation fabric is just regular weed block right? What are lifts? What is subgrade?

PlatinumLandCon
08-17-2008, 07:50 PM
seperation fabric is just regular weed block right? What are lifts? What is subgrade?

fabric is a WOVEN geotextile. kinda looks like a tarp.

lift is aka layer.

subgrade is the soil below the base. if its crap, you overdig to get to better soil or to add more base.

4 seasons lawn&land
08-17-2008, 08:29 PM
oh, thanks. The subgrade is sand and gravel then.

JimLewis
08-18-2008, 01:09 AM
What are you planning to use to fill in the joints with?

I highly recommend Gator Dust. It's sometimes hard to track down. I have to travel 40 miles North to find it. But it kicks some serious butt. Fills in the joints and then you wet it down and it hardens up almost like mortar. Sweet stuff! That's how we do all of our flagstone patios.

4 seasons lawn&land
08-18-2008, 09:40 PM
Im not sure on that part yet but I'll keep that stuff in mind, thanks.