PDA

View Full Version : Finding Employee's

GriffinLawnService
08-17-2008, 11:25 AM
I have been having a lot of trouble finding anyone that will stay working longer than 2 months at the max. I am trying to grow in business but it is impossible to do without help. I run the lawn service an work offshore, so I am struggling trying to do all this. My dad helps me when he isnt working but I just need to know how some other lawn services go about finding good help. Some do's an dont's of hiring help is what I am looking for.

Thanks for the help

NC Greenscaper
08-17-2008, 05:56 PM
I think everyone I talk to has the same problem. I advertise in the newspaper and get a ton of calls, all of them very interested. I tell them to come in to the shop for an interview/appl. and maybe 1/3 show up. I hire the so called experienced workers, who haven't got a clue. I usually find decent workers by the fall and then can't afford to keep them over the winter.

I think that I'm going to have to struggle this way until I can afford to keep the workers year around and pay them better. I think I can attract and keep better workers that way. Until then I just keep going through workers.

GriffinLawnService
08-17-2008, 11:02 PM
Well thanks for the suggestions on that. I think that I am going to try that out. I have got to try something. This is getting bad.

Supertiger
08-18-2008, 07:28 AM
Go to your local authentic Mexican Restaurant "not Toco Bell" and talk to the owner he will almost always have extra brothers and cosins who need work. I did this 10 years ago and i have never ran out of Good labor help since.

GriffinLawnService
08-18-2008, 02:39 PM
I have plenty of mexican restaurants around here that I could hit up so I just may do that to. How did it work out for you? I mean are they good employees.

SNAPPER MAN
08-18-2008, 02:45 PM
Just find out where the day laborers hang out. I've had great luck with day laborers and they usually end up being great workers.

Az Gardener
08-18-2008, 02:46 PM
Your post said you have trouble keeping people more than 2 months. What is the reason they give for leaving or do you give up on training and fire them after 2 months?

GriffinLawnService
08-19-2008, 06:32 PM
Well the first guy left because school started an he said that he didnt want to work an go to school. The second guy left because of better job which i can not blame him plus he is my brother in law so I still get some work out of him ha. An the third guy's girlfriend had a baby an get this he said he had to quit because he had to take care of her. I asked him how he could take care of her without a job an he replied he had his parents for money. I was like ok then

clcare2
08-19-2008, 08:35 PM
Skip the day laborers.

Go to McDonalds, taco bell whatever.

Take a book a this could take a while. Buy a drink and sit in a corner where you can see the counter and backline.

Find the best guy in the place and offer him a real wage and a future.

Mike's LawnCare Landscape
08-19-2008, 08:44 PM
:laugh:Skip the day laborers.

Go to McDonalds, taco bell whatever.

Take a book a this could take a while. Buy a drink and sit in a corner where you can see the counter and backline.

Find the best guy in the place and offer him a real wage and a future.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::nono::nono::nono::nono ::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono:

bohiaa
08-20-2008, 09:04 PM
Welcome to the world.....

Guess I'll Never forget this lady call me one time and said she had a flower garden rather large and all's she wants is some labors. and could she use mine...

I nearly fell outta my chair......
I tried to explane to her how expensive it is to put togather a GOOD team. and then to loan them out...HA ha HA HA AH