PDA

View Full Version : a question about pondless...

jdmcat
08-17-2008, 06:23 PM
Ok, I am planning on building a pondless cascading waterfall/stream next to my front porch. I have never built a water feature before but I feel I have a good idea about how it needs to be done. It will be about 7-8 feet long and about 3 feet high, with two or three short drops. I am also planning on putting in an auto fill float valve connected to a new zone on my sprinkler system, that way if for some reason the float sticks, I won't flood my yard.

My question is this: Do I need to filter the water if there is no pond, and thus no fish? I would think that with the water wouldn't get stagnant since it will be constantly moving. If I am wrong, can I just put some chemicals in the water to keep it clear? Honestly I am just trying to save myself the 200 bucks HD wants for the falls filter.

ANC Stone Creations
08-18-2008, 12:58 PM
You don't really need a filter for this system, I add a tee to the waterfall supply line with an extra valve for clean-out.
This way you turn off the waterfall valve and use your pump to pump out old water via extra valve.

jdmcat
08-18-2008, 04:01 PM
Cool, thanks for the reply! I was actually planning on doing just that so I could pump it out easily before winter, good to know I can save a few bucks on the filter. Thanks again!

XStream Aquatics
08-19-2008, 11:26 PM
Saving a few bucks isn't always the best way to go. A product I use on formal fountains is called Fountec Water Treatment

Fountec's organic polymers keep fountain and statuary water cleaner, clearer, and algae-free without chlorine and laborious scrubbing. This EPA registered product utilizes a unique control mechanism to kill and inhibit algae without harming the environment. Unaffected by heat, sunlight and evaporation, Fountec also outlasts and outperforms copper, enzyme and quat based products. A small dose of Fountec lasts up to a week or more and is very economical due to its concentrated formula.

While we don't recommend your fountain as a drinking source for pets, the fact remains that it is hard to keep pets from drinking from it.

However, as long as the product is used according to directions, it will not harm your pet. As with all chemicals, we recommend that you keep them out of reach of children and pets.

Weekly Fountec use also prevents mosquito landings! Fountec is not only a powerful algaecide and clarifier, it is also a surfactant that breaks water tension. Due to the natural effect of Fountec's polymers on water tension, it is an excellent deterrent for control of mosquitoes, flies, and wasps in fountains, water gardens and birdbaths.