PDA

View Full Version : Everyone should read this.............

forestfireguy
08-17-2008, 06:08 PM
Guys, and ladies if any visit here.......

I'm not one to gush, but some news came my way recently about an old neighbor of mine, the guy who taught me most of what I know about this end of the business. He's a master mason, bout 45 years old, he started working with stone and concrete in his early twenties. The man is a friggin magician with anything stone, block or concrete. Well anyway heres my point, WORK SMART.....he's always been the hardest working person I ever knew, long hours, 7 days a week, whatever it took to get the job done at any cost to his body. He has had lime poisoning 4 times, his fingers look like something you'd see in a medical journal and most recently, he blew out a tendon in his hand and it coiled up near his elbow ( ended up waiting 3 months for surgery because he downsized his biz and didn't have the employees to keep up with his work, when he finally got around to it they told him he waited too long and now he cannot grip anything with his middle finger, it's just kinda there) and while waiting for the surgery blew out a couple discs in his back, couldnt even drive off the job, his foot was limp, they can correct it but he's done slinging block.......now he's done in business too. So take care of your body, those gloves we all hate serve a purpose, the stupid uncomfortable back support is useful despite being hot, sweaty and nasty. Use a machine where you can, if you can't get somebody to help you, don't be a hero trying to lift it all by yourself.........I know I've been guilty of the "iron man" complex, I think we all have, but we are all getting older....... thinking about him, 45, young family( he finally got around to it after work being his life for so long), big nut for a nice house and he's finished doing the only thing he knows......Those of you who have minimal employees or are solo operators especially, be careful it could all be over for you, one wrong lift, one too many days without gloves on, your body is fragile.....and it's the only one you get. I know this extreme, and actually pretty stupid but it happens.....it doesn't matter how good you are, or how hard you work if you arent smart about it.......work hard, work long, but do it smart, don't be a hero......

4 seasons lawn&land
08-17-2008, 06:32 PM
gloves just protect your skin... what else? But all good advice anyway, thanks

Oasis-Outdoor
08-17-2008, 09:51 PM
Excellent thread & good information! Sorry to hear about your friends misfortune. I am also fighting back problems from poor ergonomics when moving 80# concrete bags. Everyone should heed your advice!

Majesticman
08-17-2008, 10:32 PM
Rubber dipped gloves do help with the stain of lifting blocks.

It is hard on your jeans and shirts but let your cloths hold part of the blocks weight and most of all use your legs.

The number one thing when laying block is knowing were to go with the block before lifting it off the pallet. Also get hep lifting that compactor plate instead of pulling it up the hill or trying to lift it youself.

tthomass
08-17-2008, 10:44 PM
Everybody buy a Bobcat :)

Since I bought one I use it for everything........lots of things I wouldn't have in the past.

Examples: Lets do a new front walkway for a house that has an existing concrete. Hmmmm, yeah lets just make a few cuts with the demo saw and use the forks on the Bobcat to load the slabs.

Taking down trees and cleaning up small areas where I wouldn't have normally rented.

Oops, I've got 4 pallets of sod for the back yard. Throw the Bobcat in the trailer (should be saying on the back of Blue right there) and take it along to move those pallets to the back vs wheel barrows.

Production UP, effort DOWN. Work smarter, not harder.

Mike33
08-18-2008, 07:50 PM
If bobcat wont fit, neither can we. I notice how bad i am on my clothes. Should start wearing gloves, i got a real lesson on my paver job with out gloves though.
Mike

Majesticman
08-18-2008, 09:32 PM
If bobcat wont fit, neither can we. I notice how bad i am on my clothes. Should start wearing gloves, i got a real lesson on my paver job with out gloves though.
Mike

I learned my lesson on paver's when we were laying in the rain years ago. My finger tips were bleeding when we finished. The rubber coated gloves are great. I used to buy cotton gloves 100 dozen at a time but now buy them 2 cases at a whack. Rubber will last 3 days (even when wet compared to 2 pair a day when it was dry. Cotton was still cheaper than leather in the long run..

Mike33
08-18-2008, 10:07 PM
thanks

mike