PDA

View Full Version : got a few drainage questions for retaining walls..

Junior M
08-17-2008, 07:53 PM
My dad has built retaining walls for years.. and I have always done it his way and i just want to know how you guys do drainage on a retaining wall.. and how you decide to do it like ok its got a 2:1 slope behind it do you put corrugated pipe behind it or do you put holes so the water runs threw the walls? and how do you decide on how much drainage to put behind it and how you decide on what is to small to put drainage behind..I have seen it done many different many ways so i wanted to see how the pro's do it..

Majesticman
08-17-2008, 11:36 PM
If it is under 6 feet I will put one run at the lower course and one half way up. Never let the wall drain itself.

Anything larger get it engineered. 2:1 is enough to cause problems. you will have to swale the top to the sides.

Mike33
08-18-2008, 08:45 PM
A pic will help. Thats a pretty bad slope how much area is behind it ? Many times i will go behind wall on hill and put a sufficient swale. Try to take as much water away from the wall as you can. We use pref corrig. pipe with min. of 2' of drain stone behind. Evey one is different, im actually building 1 now 150' long with an area in middle around 60' that will be 5-6' high. How ever the whole wall is going down hill and will drain fine. But the real beauty of this one is it is running along side of the hill and the driveway above is running away from the wall. The only water that is going to be going down thru the wall is the area from the block back to the drain stone. I'll show a pic later. But there all different and have to be thought out very well. On the other hand since i have a driveway above it is being gridded every 2 courses 100% instead of 60%.
Mike

Junior M
08-20-2008, 05:23 PM
I was just using it as an example and i would like to learn how other guys do it...