PDA

View Full Version : Bi-Weekly Only

American_Lawn
08-17-2008, 10:22 PM
Here in my market there are alot of yards that are not really manicured and people dont want to pay for the extras that I would love to give them. I was thinking about advertising for bi-weekly mowing next season. I plan on having exceptions in place for the clients that fertalize and water on a regular basis. Is this a good idea? I could see this being a great oppourtunity to tap into the customers that dont want weekly service. The only times that I see this being a problem is in the spring months when all the rain comes. I will probably request weekly until things slow down then go bi-weekly. any suggestions

TPLawnPro
08-17-2008, 10:44 PM
I'm not too sure how well that would work out up there in Texas, but down here in S. Louisiana - No Way! The main reason is that it puts more wear and tear on your equipment and will significantly shorten the lifespan of your engines.

Don't compromise the efficiency and performance of your machines. :nono: They are your bread and butter.

TXNSLighting
08-17-2008, 10:50 PM
Worst idea ever.

American_Lawn
08-17-2008, 10:56 PM
Worst idea ever.

What would you suggest to tap into the ones that dont want weekly service? I am talking about the yards that only need cutting twice a month. I do alot like this now for banks. Yeah there are a handful that grow more than the others, but the majority are smooth sailing. I do around 150-160 every 2 weeks split up. I am just looking to drop one contract that is about 80-90 and adding biweekly customers. These are typical 8000-10000sq ft lots.

Grits
08-18-2008, 12:12 AM
If this is your business model, then sure it will work. Personally, I am tired of bi-weekly clients. For me, they seem to be the one's that want something for nothing. They want your full attention, yet, they are the one's that don't want extras. But, this doesn't mean it won't work for you. It is just not fitting for what I want.

UrbanGreen
08-18-2008, 12:30 AM
Grits said it, this year I finally had enough and made my biweekly accounts go weekly with contract or find somebody else. If you are already dealing with that many biweekly accounts than you know what you are getting into. Sounds good if thats what ya want, theres plenty of them out there

billslawn89
08-18-2008, 06:58 AM
IMO...bi-weekly = PITA

hackitdown
08-18-2008, 07:47 AM
I do some bi-weekly. If I find that it takes longer to mow them due to the long time between cuts, I charge more. Someday, when I have too much business, I'll drop them, but for now it works.

1MajorTom
08-18-2008, 09:01 AM
A bi-weekly customer in the spring, turns into once every 3 or 4 weeks in the heat of the summer. These accounts usually are the ones that have a lot of weeds, and trimming can be a bear sometimes especially when the crabgrass takes hold.
That's not to say that no bi-weekly is a good account. But it's just hard to find decent bi-weeklys.

American_Lawn
08-18-2008, 10:06 AM
A bi-weekly customer in the spring, turns into once every 3 or 4 weeks in the heat of the summer. These accounts usually are the ones that have a lot of weeds, and trimming can be a bear sometimes especially when the crabgrass takes hold.
That's not to say that no bi-weekly is a good account. But it's just hard to find decent bi-weeklys.

I would plan on having them on a weekly schedule or something to the like during the spring. That is the only time I can see it being a huge problem with fast growth. I had one customer awhile back that I did all services for and they were bi-weekly and it was a pita. My target market would be the home owners that dont need/want everything. If they put fertilizer down and the yard is 8inches when I come back, ofcourse the price is triple, but these are the ones that just let mother nature do everything and dont want anything to do with the yard. It seems like it would be a low pressure sales pitch whit the chance of getting weekly customers and odd jobs. I am really only looking for mowing accounts only with this truck. I have another doing installs with builders and home owners. I dont want to drop and totally reconfigure my business to go to weekly cutting. I did the opposite of 90% of all companies, but I came into the biz with about 200 accounts. Or 100 weekly. One of my clients only gives me 4 days to complete the work and they send me about 135-150 cuts each time. It make for long days, but it pays good in the end. For those that doubt that is possible, all homes a vacant, 2 guys with 32wbs and one trimming. 5-6minutes make per house.

larryinalabama
08-18-2008, 10:19 AM
Sounds like you will be busy in the spring and slow in the summer.

American_Lawn
08-18-2008, 11:02 AM
Isnt it always like that. This is my second full season and everything slows at this time due to the heat unless your customers water like crazy. There is probablyan average of one green yard per street. There are the exceptions of the upscale neighborhoods, but that is wh I am trying to go at a different approach. What would you guys suggest for the customers that shy away from weekly cuts. If you say you would forget them, why? Do you want to mow yards your whole life, or run a business?

david shumaker
08-18-2008, 05:16 PM
I have some yards that only need cutting bi-weekly. It's so dry now, that some yards only need it every 3 weeks. I think it depends on each individual yard. I would say no to the people who have fast growing lawns and are just trying to save money at your expense. I just told one customer she would be better off finding someone else. She wanted me to cut her yard almost to the dirt to save money. Can't see ruining my blades or mower.

Mike's LawnCare Landscape
08-18-2008, 05:42 PM
Every one of my yards are every other week . LOL WE HAVE NO RAIN !!!
and some of them after 2 weeks still chould go one more week with out a cutting !!!
Im already doing more landscaping then mowing at the moment!!

ed2hess
08-18-2008, 07:02 PM
The growing trend is people going to bi-weekly in our area. It really don't matter to us we have 36" mowers with sufficient hp to cut them down and they are small enough that we can double cut when needed. The addition of the Sentar with RH adjustment on deck makes it very easy to cut high on first cut and low on next. This is why floating deck are nice. And we NEVER were able to convince bi-weekly to go weekly but we do add on $5 when it is high.

American_Lawn
08-18-2008, 10:35 PM
The growing trend is people going to bi-weekly in our area. It really don't matter to us we have 36" mowers with sufficient hp to cut them down and they are small enough that we can double cut when needed. The addition of the Sentar with RH adjustment on deck makes it very easy to cut high on first cut and low on next. This is why floating deck are nice. And we NEVER were able to convince bi-weekly to go weekly but we do add on $5 when it is high.

What mowers do you run for these? I have a 34 miniz now, but I plan on replanning my mowing crew with one 36, one 32, a 21, 2 trimmers, edger and a blower. I saw a floating deck mentioned above, but what engine size, accessories work best.

Lawnut101
08-18-2008, 11:03 PM
I would never offer bi-weekly service. Too hard on everything. I don't think you would enjoy it too much either. But it's up to you.

American_Lawn
08-19-2008, 12:18 AM
In the perfect world, I would love to have a few schedule of weekly accounts with lush grass and perfect beds. But there are lots of people here that only want this done. Kind of the inbetween customers. Think of how many of you shy away from these customers, I think I could fill my schedule, and also have strict rulesinplace to cover the ones that try to take advantage.

For equipment I will get the biggest engine I can on a 36/32 wb. Floating deck, cant decide on hydro or belt or brand?

AzLawnMan
08-19-2008, 01:45 AM
The only question is how much are you charging for a bi-weekly account? I have 100 accounts that are serviced monthly, and I am telling a majority of new clients that I will only do bi-weekly service for them. Now if the account is too big well I make them weekly. But I have found doing 30 accounts one week and a different 30 the next week doubles my money and I save gas because I am only traveling to there home twice a month. Like I said, how much is a bi-weekly account worth. It has really helped keep cost down and profits up. IMO

STIHL GUY
08-19-2008, 11:03 AM
this year it has rained so much that some lawns could have been mowed 2 times a week

shepoutside
08-19-2008, 11:46 AM
this year it has rained so much that some lawns could have been mowed 2 times a week

That's my problem, the rain has taken my bi-weekly customers, and made them weekly. I offer both services, but there is a mark-up on the bi-weekly service. This year so far, I only have weekly accounts, first time for that.

Grits
08-19-2008, 11:48 AM
Isnt it always like that. This is my second full season and everything slows at this time due to the heat unless your customers water like crazy. There is probablyan average of one green yard per street. There are the exceptions of the upscale neighborhoods, but that is wh I am trying to go at a different approach. What would you guys suggest for the customers that shy away from weekly cuts. If you say you would forget them, why? Do you want to mow yards your whole life, or run a business?

That is a dumb question. If you know how to run a business, why are you asking this "bi-weekly" question?
This is why you set clients on a 12 month service agreement and do what is needed when it is needed. But everyone's business model is different, and that is a good thing. You do have a business model, don't you?