PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Lighting Question

Mack77
08-18-2008, 12:47 AM
Hi Guys,

I'm currently working on my trailer (new lights, checking the wires, etc). Everything works great, brake lights, turn signals, hazards. Everything except the night time running lights. Any ideas?

It's not the truck, because i attached another trailer to test this out, and the night time running lights worked...

Thanks!

ffemtmcd
08-18-2008, 12:53 AM
HHHmmmm - not sure - do the taillights work with the running lights on?? if not check for a cut wire or something like it - can't imagine what else it would be.

Mack77
08-18-2008, 01:02 AM
I've done a few things so far...

Replaced both lights. (The kit, housing, lights, wires) Right side and left side.
Replaced the plug that plugs into the truck.
Checked the white ground wire, seems to be in good condition.

I'm stumped!

ffemtmcd
08-18-2008, 01:08 AM
It's gotta be the green/brown, yellow/brown wire somewhere - I think thats the wire for the "running lights"

Mack77
08-18-2008, 03:36 PM
So would you say there's a cut wire somewhere, or a bad ground? I think i'll just pull all the wires out and inspect...couldn't hurt.

ffemtmcd
08-18-2008, 04:20 PM
well, if none of the lights worked - I would go with ground - but since the brake lights work it's gotta be the running light wire - let me know how it turns out

Mack77
08-19-2008, 11:45 PM
Trailer was PERFECT...the trucks I was testing it on had two bad fuses. Can you believe that; TWO exact same blown fuses in two separate trucks.

So check those fuses guys...save yourself a few hours time!!!

Kennedy Landscaping
08-22-2008, 01:43 AM
Is it a Carry-On Trailer? Thats what I have and one week a turn signal wouldn't work, the next a clearance light, and so on. I got fed up with it and rewired the whole thing myself and put on all L.E.D. tail lights and clearance lights and all that good stuff. Also converted the 4-pin to a seven since that's what the trucks all have.