PDA

View Full Version : ??Are dealerships REALLY slashing prices on trucks??

milsaps118
08-18-2008, 01:02 AM
I have been contemplating whether or not I should buy a new rig to add to my fleet before we get into the snow season. I hear everyone talking about getting such sweat deals and how the dealerships are "Giving Away" gas guzzlers because there is no market for 'em anymore since the gas craze started. Is this true.....? I've been poking my nose at few dealerships and the reaction I get is the total opposite from all the "Hype" I've been hearing. Yeah, I know they're sales people and it's part of their job to feed the prospective buyer full of BS, but just to let you know this isn't my first go-around in the rodeo. I have found that the incentives and rebates are better than usual but for example sticker on a truck I was looking at was $47,825, with RTD and other DISC it brought it down to $41,325. You add TTL and dealer fees your almost back up to sticker, so really how is this such a "GREAT DEAL" I hear everyone talking about?? Anyone here (Not your neighbors-Buddy's-cousin-sisters-brother in-laws-best friend), recently purchased a NEW truck/SUV and got a SWEET DEAL? I want to hear about it.

Thanks in advance!

UrbanGreen
08-18-2008, 01:15 AM
Here in Atlanta, Dodge is now selling all gas burners at 50% off of sticker price with the life time warranty. I have a buddy who just bought an 08' F250 fully decked out with all the goodies for a little over 40K, and chevy gmc are loaded down with so many trucks I think you can walk in and name a price! It seems to be a great time to buy one but good luck if you're tryin to trade in or sell one

nosparkplugs
08-18-2008, 02:12 AM
Don't know if it's fact; however this thread brings to mind the news report ABC World News did about 5 weeks ago. About how GM is struggling canceling all of the Hummer production line, and their quietly buying back Hummer dealerships. Hummers are loosing up to 40% of their value when you drive off the lot now?? according to GM. This does relate to truck sales because the Hummer's gasburner engine's are the same one's going into their trucks. GM is banking on Hybrid electric, and smaller displacement V-6 or V-8 CGI diesel's

Diesel's might Rule 2009
The new smaller displacement V-6 & V-8 (CGI) composite graphite iron diesel block's should help boost fuel economy & pump up truck sales in 2009. I would hold off on that V8 gasburner until 2009 unless you just gotta have a new truck

GravelyNut
08-18-2008, 05:22 PM
Both Dodge and Ford here advertised 50% off.

Petr51488
08-18-2008, 08:42 PM

Yea, tell chevy to do the same.

milsaps118
08-18-2008, 11:38 PM

Half off sticker! I have nothing against Dodge and Ford, just personal preference that I like my GM's. I'd be really tempted to snatch up a $50K PSD for around $25K. I never seen 50% off advertising around here but I think it's just a matter of time before these crazy incentives make there way up here if they're already being offered down there.

P.Services
08-18-2008, 11:43 PM
i have never seen 50% off either, i hate dodges to the bone but a lifetime powertrain warrenty is worth a lot of money to me. may have to look into that real soon

nosparkplugs
08-19-2008, 12:03 AM
i have never seen 50% off either, i hate dodges to the bone but a lifetime powertrain warrenty is worth a lot of money to me. may have to look into that real soon

You might eat those words some day, Dodge has been the only truck to hold up for us:nono:

Lifetime warranty does not apply to diesels or commercial use. Many try to "skate" buy as residential customers:laugh:

TXNSLighting
08-19-2008, 12:27 AM
I have been contemplating whether or not I should buy a new rig to add to my fleet before we get into the snow season. I hear everyone talking about getting such sweat deals and how the dealerships are "Giving Away" gas guzzlers because there is no market for 'em anymore since the gas craze started. Is this true.....? I've been poking my nose at few dealerships and the reaction I get is the total opposite from all the "Hype" I've been hearing. Yeah, I know they're sales people and it's part of their job to feed the prospective buyer full of BS, but just to let you know this isn't my first go-around in the rodeo. I have found that the incentives and rebates are better than usual but for example sticker on a truck I was looking at was $47,825, with RTD and other DISC it brought it down to $41,325. You add TTL and dealer fees your almost back up to sticker, so really how is this such a "GREAT DEAL" I hear everyone talking about?? Anyone here (Not your neighbors-Buddy's-cousin-sisters-brother in-laws-best friend), recently purchased a NEW truck/SUV and got a SWEET DEAL? I want to hear about it.

Thanks in advance!

Our dealer is taking off 15+ thousand off super dutys. i took a picture! ill try and post it when i get it from the phone.

P.Services
08-19-2008, 12:28 AM
darn no dodge for me then

ksss
08-19-2008, 12:39 AM
This Spring I bought my first 1/2 ton gas pickup. I have owned 3/4 or better diesels since I was 18. Overall I happy with it considering what I use it for.

It is a Chev 4.8 L excab, 4X4

It is a base model with power windows, locks, windows, CD/XM. It has no carpet. I have gotten as good as 19.8, but gets 18.3 with ease.

Powerhouse it is not. I haul compaction equipment, excavator buckets and the like. It is mainly used to move people. I use it to bid jobs, run parts etc. I get 400-430 miles per fill up. Much better than my 3500 duramax and it costs a dollar less a gallon to fill it. The savings more than pays the bill.

I paid a no BS 22K. The sticker was 29 something. This was in March or April. I have 10K on it already.

TXNSLighting
08-19-2008, 12:47 AM
a whole 7k off?? wow...not good enough my good man.

nosparkplugs
08-19-2008, 01:09 AM
Does Chevrolet honor the 100,000 miles warranty for commercial use?

GravelyNut
08-19-2008, 08:42 AM
Half off sticker! I have nothing against Dodge and Ford, just personal preference that I like my GM's. I'd be really tempted to snatch up a $50K PSD for around $25K. I never seen 50% off advertising around here but I think it's just a matter of time before these crazy incentives make there way up here if they're already being offered down there.
Monarch Dodge just had their ad on tv. $9,999 for a 1500. Charger at $15,999. Caliber SE at $12,999. Located in Ft Lauderdale, FL.

Ramairfreak98ss
08-19-2008, 11:41 AM

Where have you seen this at, 50% off is $25k for a 50k sticker truck and i have NEVER yet seen any prices nearly that low, i only wish.

I posed another thread about 58k crew cab chassis Ford F550s for ~13-14k+ off sticker price, but thats only about 27% off? Not nearly 50%.

When theyre 50% off ill buy 2 tomorrow

TXNSLighting
08-19-2008, 12:12 PM
yep im waiting for the 50% off diesel! I will be buying then.

GravelyNut
08-19-2008, 01:38 PM
Where have you seen this at, 50% off is $25k for a 50k sticker truck and i have NEVER yet seen any prices nearly that low, i only wish.

I posed another thread about 58k crew cab chassis Ford F550s for ~13-14k+ off sticker price, but thats only about 27% off? Not nearly 50%.

Here's their website ad. Note that one of the quadcab's list is $38K. http://www.cars.com/monarchdodgeinc/specials.html

TXNSLighting
08-19-2008, 01:43 PM
pic: This is on a 08 450 lariat. gorgeous truck

milsaps118
08-19-2008, 04:01 PM
a whole 7k off?? wow...not good enough my good man.
I know, anyone can negotiate 7K off sticker any day of the week
pic: This is on a 08 450 lariat. gorgeous truck
That's a helluva deal on a loaded F450. I take it its a gasser tho.

Up here in the Midwest we haven't seen any deals like the one's some of you guys are getting down in the southern states.

milsaps118
08-19-2008, 04:03 PM

You and me both. "Buy 1 get one FREEE!!!!!!" :laugh:

TXNSLighting
08-19-2008, 07:28 PM
I know, anyone can negotiate 7K off sticker any day of the week

That's a helluva deal on a loaded F450. I take it its a gasser tho.

Up here in the Midwest we haven't seen any deals like the one's some of you guys are getting down in the southern states.

nope powerstroke diesel. every 350 and 450 lariat was slashed 14-16k

P.Services
08-19-2008, 08:12 PM
wow that is a great price!!!

TXNSLighting
08-19-2008, 09:03 PM
very good price!! The cheapest was a king ranch 350 CC LB 4x4. It was 36k!

02DURAMAX
08-20-2008, 04:29 AM
Does Chevrolet honor the 100,000 miles warranty for commercial use?

Yes it is!!!!!!!

Ramairfreak98ss
08-21-2008, 12:03 AM
damn majestic, so 14k+ off a 53k truck, the place that has the f550 i like has to take off more than that on a 58k tag then :p Im sure thats a sweet truck.. one of my customers just bought an 08 F450 lariat blue pickup, tinted windows already, 5th wheel, michelin tires, chrome package, 4x4, he uses it for auto transport, Not sure what dealer he got it from but he said the truck and 3 car hualing trailer was under 50k. So figure one of those trailers is ~7-8k, its possible he spent maybe 41k on the truck?

lyube
08-21-2008, 01:03 AM
Whoa...Absolutely crazy. I want an f250 or a 2500, maybe now's the time.

TXNSLighting
08-21-2008, 11:13 AM
damn majestic, so 14k+ off a 53k truck, the place that has the f550 i like has to take off more than that on a 58k tag then :p Im sure thats a sweet truck.. one of my customers just bought an 08 F450 lariat blue pickup, tinted windows already, 5th wheel, michelin tires, chrome package, 4x4, he uses it for auto transport, Not sure what dealer he got it from but he said the truck and 3 car hualing trailer was under 50k. So figure one of those trailers is ~7-8k, its possible he spent maybe 41k on the truck?

yeh since my dealers 450 was 39 then yeh very possible. I still keep lookin at this king ranch 350, 36k...makes me really wanna go get it, but i know i shouldnt...

whered your truck go?!

AJ Lawnscapes
08-21-2008, 11:25 AM
Wow, I cannot believe the prices of Trucks.

60K? 50K? 40K? WTF?

I mean, that's more than some in-town row homes, half the cost of my house, halfway to 100K. Just like the realestate overprice market, trucks are overpriced. When you can buy a luxury car for 10-20K less, I dont' get it.

TXNSLighting
08-21-2008, 11:49 AM
when you look at all the crap in em, and thnk about how much crap costs now adays. its about right. these trucks have nicer things than that 100k house.

nosparkplugs
08-21-2008, 07:37 PM
will stick with my cheap recycled metal Dodge trucks, and Cummins diesels :laugh: I don't require all the gadgets on these newer trucks: 25 cupholders, air conditioned seats, muliple glove compartments, laptop stations, power folding mirriors, Sonar back up sensors, Fancy trip computers, ECU"s that tell me when to wipe my ARES:dizzy:

TXNSLighting
08-21-2008, 08:32 PM
Some of us like riding in luxury. It calms me down after a crap day.

TandM
08-21-2008, 09:51 PM
we just bought a 2008 dodge ram 3500 chassis cab with a hemi and a body off the lot brand new. 16k. standard cab

Ramairfreak98ss
08-21-2008, 11:34 PM
when you look at all the crap in em, and thnk about how much crap costs now adays. its about right. these trucks have nicer things than that 100k house.

lol got that right. the 08 lariat F550 truck im looking at has everything minus a moonroof, NAV, fancy sound system, power locks, windows, telescoping and folding mirrors, they have blinkers in them and are heated, upgraded tires, chrome wheel lug bolt covers, chrome wheels, elec 4x4, reverse sensor, dual tanks, dual alternators, on and on...

Trucks if anything are usually well worth their price. luxury cars, usually arnt. Most of that garbage goes bad before the car does, like in the lexus, bimmer etc. Thats why the rich folk dump them off after they start to near 5-7years old because the repairs cost more than its worth.
And whens the last time you seen a lot of luxury cars cheaper than trucks?

cadillac cts $40k+ easy
STS $50k+ easy

were not talking very fancy models either here like the 80k STS-V

BMW 545i - $55k+
hell bimmer 335i $40k+

Infinity M45 $45k+

Lexus GS430 $50k+
is350 $44k+ thats a little car too

all those cars are way too much money for what they are.

Most infinitys are nissan altimas, maximas and 350zs

Most lexuses are rebadged fancier packaged toyotas

TomberLawn
08-21-2008, 11:37 PM
If you buy an 08 F450, you'll need to save $15k just to keep fuel in it. A diesel mechanic down the road told my brother he had a 2008 6.4L F450 come in, just like ramairfreak98ss was talking about, Lariat, 4x4, all the goodies....and 9mpg! A local fire department bought a F550 a few months ago for a brush truck. Granted, it does haul around about 500 gallons of water and gets driven hard, but the computer shows 6.6mpg or so.

My uncle works at a Chevy dealer and he said people were coming in and just turning in the keys on Escalades and Suburbans. Can't afford a gas bill as high as the monthly payment. I bet you could pick up a Suburban cheap. You gotta zig when everybody else is zaggin'!

nosparkplugs
08-22-2008, 12:19 AM
Ditch the new Ford 450's & 550's, the new Dodge's 4500 & 5500 are averaging much better MPG. Copied a Post from a Cummins forum Just for laughs

Well after a long and trying time to get the 4500 6.7 fuel mileage maximum attained I have about 7000 miles of playing with the MP8, speeds, headwinds and all the other variances here are the results as the pictures show. The main reason for this testing is that I read all these section on the 6.7 bad fuel economy, and just wanted to see what the best I could get out of this new motor with the emissions.
So here was the test: 2008 4500 6.7 auto with a 4.88 gear and scale weight on the truck 13,600 lbs. The only performance enhancer is a MP-8.

Here is what I have determined to be the best combination for my truck;
I have completed 1450 miles this week with a 70/30 highway to city ratio for the test, in the mornings I always had a southeast wind at 10-15 mph and the economy would rise about .5 mpg, but would lose .5 mpg coming into the head wind, so that was a wash. The truck loves 1900 rpms, with a travel speed of 64 mph, and after two weeks of playing with the mp-8 and its setting, was determined that 75-80 percent on the mp-8 dial the truck constantly gave a 19.6 hand calculated mpg and 21.3 overhead reading.

This setting on the mp-8 have not caused a single df burn off in the past 4500 miles so its hard to determine how this will effect the overall mileage of the truck. I fact since new the df has not burned off once to drop the fuel economy.

I will keep on with the mileage and not reset the overhead until the end of the year as that way I can get a more realistic average after pulling my enclosed trailer and other driving condition

TomberLawn
08-22-2008, 07:52 AM
Can't beat a Cummins!!! I'm glad Dodge finally got a heavy duty transmission behind it. Aisin is what they put in Isuzus and off-road construction equipment.

I just visited Dodge's website and they are advertising "up to 40% off MSRP"!

nosparkplugs
08-22-2008, 01:29 PM
19.6mpg 2008 Dodge 4500 6.7L Cummins Diesel 13,600 Scale weight not bad for a piece of crap:laugh: Have no pitty for those who choose to continually overlook Dodge/Cummins diesel trucks, only to complain about their Fords.

Gravel Rat
08-22-2008, 03:30 PM
Ah no sparkplugs is full of crap again.

Better read tow411 the Dodge 4500-5500 trucks used for tow trucks are only getting 14 mpg at best and they are not so sure about the durability of the trucks.

Dodge is offering good deals because they are going down faster than the titanic.

I was looking at Dodge Canada website they are offering 4500-5500 trucks 10 grand cheaper than the Ford 450-550.

Dodge is trying like h*ll to get sales but nobody wants a Dodge truck :laugh:

Most Dodge dealers can't work on diesel trucks I know the dealer where I'am doesn't they can't work on them. Even Cummins doesn't want to work on the engines in Dodges.

Here is a tow truck operator said

Hey Greg, i have 2 08 Dodge 4500's Diesel. One is a Vulcan 810 one is a MPL40NG. They get between 9-11 thats mostly city some highway, loaded/unloaded.

In the USA you guys pay the cheapest rates on fuel, auto parts a cheaper, trucks are cheaper.

TXNSLighting
08-22-2008, 05:40 PM
If you buy an 08 F450, you'll need to save $15k just to keep fuel in it. A diesel mechanic down the road told my brother he had a 2008 6.4L F450 come in, just like ramairfreak98ss was talking about, Lariat, 4x4, all the goodies....and 9mpg! A local fire department bought a F550 a few months ago for a brush truck. Granted, it does haul around about 500 gallons of water and gets driven hard, but the computer shows 6.6mpg or so.

My uncle works at a Chevy dealer and he said people were coming in and just turning in the keys on Escalades and Suburbans. Can't afford a gas bill as high as the monthly payment. I bet you could pick up a Suburban cheap. You gotta zig when everybody else is zaggin'!

Once again, your CUSTOMERS pay for your fuel!

TXNSLighting
08-22-2008, 05:44 PM
Ditch the new Ford 450's & 550's, the new Dodge's 4500 & 5500 are averaging much better MPG. Copied a Post from a Cummins forum Just for laughs

Well after a long and trying time to get the 4500 6.7 fuel mileage maximum attained I have about 7000 miles of playing with the MP8, speeds, headwinds and all the other variances here are the results as the pictures show. The main reason for this testing is that I read all these section on the 6.7 bad fuel economy, and just wanted to see what the best I could get out of this new motor with the emissions.
So here was the test: 2008 4500 6.7 auto with a 4.88 gear and scale weight on the truck 13,600 lbs. The only performance enhancer is a MP-8.

Here is what I have determined to be the best combination for my truck;
I have completed 1450 miles this week with a 70/30 highway to city ratio for the test, in the mornings I always had a southeast wind at 10-15 mph and the economy would rise about .5 mpg, but would lose .5 mpg coming into the head wind, so that was a wash. The truck loves 1900 rpms, with a travel speed of 64 mph, and after two weeks of playing with the mp-8 and its setting, was determined that 75-80 percent on the mp-8 dial the truck constantly gave a 19.6 hand calculated mpg and 21.3 overhead reading.

This setting on the mp-8 have not caused a single df burn off in the past 4500 miles so its hard to determine how this will effect the overall mileage of the truck. I fact since new the df has not burned off once to drop the fuel economy.

I will keep on with the mileage and not reset the overhead until the end of the year as that way I can get a more realistic average after pulling my enclosed trailer and other driving condition

This guy doesnt know much of anything... hes calling the dpf a df...and yes if the new trucks dont have the dpf cycle they get much better fuel mileage. not just the cummins.

And some people actually want a crew cab in there 450 and 550. cant get that in a dodge.

TomberLawn
08-22-2008, 06:41 PM
Once again, your CUSTOMERS pay for your fuel!

Although it's true, it's a bad way to look at doing business. Wal-Mart's customers pay for their fuel, but they have set a goal to have their transportation fleet 100% more efficient by the year 2015. To meet that goal, they are using a variety of approaches, including more fuel efficient trucks and trailers, better routing, better utilization of equipment, and others. They are doing this to help keep prices low and profits high.

My truck gets about 18mpg towing my mowers and stuff. That's twice as much as that F450 pickup truck. Another way to look at it is that I spend half as much on fuel. I also like to think about this--every mileage improvement I can make on my truck is sticking it to some terrorist in the Middle East.

Gravel Rat, keep in mind that the truck no sparkplugs talked about had the MP-8 performance chip. That will increase mileage over a stock truck.

TXNSLighting
08-22-2008, 07:03 PM
Although it's true, it's a bad way to look at doing business. Wal-Mart's customers pay for their fuel, but they have set a goal to have their transportation fleet 100% more efficient by the year 2015. To meet that goal, they are using a variety of approaches, including more fuel efficient trucks and trailers, better routing, better utilization of equipment, and others. They are doing this to help keep prices low and profits high.

My truck gets about 18mpg towing my mowers and stuff. That's twice as much as that F450 pickup truck. Another way to look at it is that I spend half as much on fuel. I also like to think about this--every mileage improvement I can make on my truck is sticking it to some terrorist in the Middle East.

Gravel Rat, keep in mind that the truck no sparkplugs talked about had the MP-8 performance chip. That will increase mileage over a stock truck.

But those who need a 450/550 cant worry about that. a 13000 pound truck just is not going to get good fuel mileage. you can do stuff for 3/4's and 1 ton's. but comeon. People understand a truck that big wont gt good fuel economy. And i HIGHLY doubt a 4500 cummin is getting 18-20. sorry. my 3/4 ton cummins didnt get near that good.

TXNSLighting
08-22-2008, 07:57 PM
Im tired of arguing the same point over and over. Lets leave it at this. If you want a Ford go buy a Ford. If you want a dodge go buy a dodge! Stop trying to change peoples minds. (NSP) Every manufacturer has had a bad vehicle made, theyre machines!

milsaps118
08-22-2008, 08:06 PM
This thread got WAYYYYYY off track. The OP I asked was, if it was true that dealers were really cutting/slashing prices on new trucks/SUV's (Ford, Chevy, GMC, Dodge, Toyota, etc, etc,etc) to move off the lots, because I haven't seen some of the great deals some of you guys are seeing in the southern states.

TXNSLighting
08-22-2008, 08:08 PM
I think i was the only one to answer that...yes they are! Around here they are. Dodge has 50% off their trucks! Some Ford dealers are doing that. Gm is doing the employee pricing thing again, and who cares about TOYota.

GravelyNut
08-22-2008, 08:19 PM
I think i was the only one to answer that...yes they are! Around here they are. Dodge has 50% off their trucks! Some Ford dealers are doing that. Gm is doing the employee pricing thing again, and who cares about TOYota.
Nope, you weren't the only one who answered that question. See #14 and 17 of this thread.
:waving:

milsaps118
08-22-2008, 08:19 PM
I think i was the only one to answer that...yes they are!

I know you were, and a couple others, and thanks for posting the pics too.

Some how this was leading to "I get better fuel mileage then you" debate. Not directing this towards anyone but just want to keep it on track, that's all.

--Keith:drinkup:

GravelyNut
08-22-2008, 08:42 PM
Now if the local Chevy dealer would only drop the price of one of their 4500 pickups to 25% of list, I might have to think about it. At 50% off, it still would be $75K. Best description of it is that it is BIG and black. Single rear wheels fill a dually's wheelwells.

milsaps118
08-22-2008, 08:47 PM
Now if the local Chevy dealer would only drop the price of one of their 4500 pickups to 25% of list, I might have to think about it. At 50% off, it still would be $75K. Best description of it is that it is BIG and black. Single rear wheels fill a dually's wheelwells.

Mean, mean, truck!

TandM
08-22-2008, 09:50 PM
thats huge!!! I think I should throw my scag in the back and use this as my mow and bog truck!!!

Gravel Rat
08-23-2008, 12:18 AM
The big increase is seeing the right hand drive vehicals being imported. They are not brandnew of course but people are buying them because they are good on fuel.

Lets face it North American made vehicals are FUEL PIGS.

I think you will see far far more Isuzu and Hino based trucks being used. For landscaping etc.

TXNSLighting
08-23-2008, 01:07 AM
I know you were, and a couple others, and thanks for posting the pics too.

Some how this was leading to "I get better fuel mileage then you" debate. Not directing this towards anyone but just want to keep it on track, that's all.

--Keith:drinkup:

i know that crap always happens...and i always bite! i cant help myself sometimes.

supercuts
08-23-2008, 09:12 AM
back to the point of this thread, i bought my 08 f350 psd xlt 4x4 excab with msrp of 44500 for $35500, $9k off sticker back in nov 07' i later found out the ford dealer was dumping inventory because they were in the process of parting as a ford dealer and going into highend used cars. so that was about 22% off. i dont know how anyone does 50% off a brand new car. i dont think dealers can mark them up that much and get away with it.

dont forget, my truck also including brand loyalty $1K off, and over $4k in rebates & incentives. the rest came from the dealer. i know a guy who bought the identical setup except gas and lariet and he paid in the high 40's.

my truck is also now getting 18-19mpg doing 63-65mph and being gentle on the peddle, 14-15mpg normal driving. the truck just turned 11,000 miles

TomberLawn
08-23-2008, 09:13 AM
Has anyone priced a medium duty Freightliner or International truck recently to see if they are coming down in price? According to etwman, they are superior in almost every way to a 450/4500 or 550/5500 truck. I know Freightliner has been laying off workers here in NC, so I wonder if they are doing any heavy promotions to sell trucks.

Ramairfreak98ss
08-23-2008, 01:02 PM
Has anyone priced a medium duty Freightliner or International truck recently to see if they are coming down in price? According to etwman, they are superior in almost every way to a 450/4500 or 550/5500 truck. I know Freightliner has been laying off workers here in NC, so I wonder if they are doing any heavy promotions to sell trucks.

not sure on the prices, i have looked into some of them, but not much. Problem is, almost ALL are larger trucks/frames/engines etc than an f450/550 truck, most of them are more f650/750 class trucks which is larger than most of us use for plowing or landscaping usually.

Ramairfreak98ss
08-23-2008, 01:16 PM
The big increase is seeing the right hand drive vehicals being imported. They are not brandnew of course but people are buying them because they are good on fuel.

Lets face it North American made vehicals are FUEL PIGS.

I think you will see far far more Isuzu and Hino based trucks being used. For landscaping etc.

I see TONs of hinos, theyre on every meat or boxtruck out there now in NJ at least, and they have them because theyre CHEAP. Why are they cheap? Like they always say, " you get what you pay for". Go ahead and get your hinos, i knew a guy that worked at a truck shop and they had more hinos in than all other trucks combined, lots with major problems.. take it for what its worth, id never buy one just because its called "HINO, wtf is that anyway?

TomberLawn
08-23-2008, 05:30 PM
I just remembered seeing something on the news a while back that was interesting. I looked it up on Google and found this article--http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=6285107

Some Nissan dealers are giving away a Versa compact car for free with the purchase of a Titan full size truck. The dealer interviewed said that Nissan was kicking in some big incentive money and rebates that paid for the small, 33mpg Versa. I don't know if they're still running this promotion anywhere, but that would be a deal if you needed a truck. You could get a car for free to run around doing estimates, errands around town, etc.

Az Gardener
08-23-2008, 05:48 PM
Lots of repo stuff available too. I called a local dealer about a cab over crew cab with a dump bed said he had 4, 06-07 repos with less than 30 k on diesels for 30-35K aprox. These were Fuso's 45-K or more new. I bought a 06 UD diesel, cab over, single cab, 14 dump with 6-K miles for 30-K.

So yes this is the time to buy if you can or need to.

Gravel Rat
08-23-2008, 07:04 PM
If you have a dedicated truck just for work a medium duty is the way to go.

For example a International with 466E power will get better fuel mileage and more power than a 6.4 Powered 550.

Fuel consumption is a big ticket item for people nowwadays. If a 3 or 5 ton truck can get the same mpg as a 450-550 Ford or 4500-5500 Chevy and you can do more work with a 3 ton truck its cheaper to go with that.

GravelyNut
08-24-2008, 12:54 AM
Mean, mean, truck!

Looks better in black and with a winch bumper. And the rims on the one down here are black too. Looks like something the police would use on a raid.

milsaps118
08-24-2008, 12:32 PM
Looks better in black and with a winch bumper. And the rims on the one down here are black too. Looks like something the police would use on a raid.

Kind of like this one???

GravelyNut
08-24-2008, 01:35 PM
Kind of like this one???

Black out the chrome and put a black bowtie in the grill and you've got it. Only one word describes it, Sinister.:usflag: And that is the same bumper I was talking about.

TXNSLighting
08-24-2008, 04:54 PM
Kind of like this one???

Those mirrors look ******ed on that truck!

tomflan947
08-25-2008, 12:04 AM
i used to sell cars what the public does not realize is that the manufactures have made the rebates bigger threw out the years but so has the sticker price. they figure out the rebates for the year before the set the sticker price. because that is the only way to sell to people when the market is so bad is such big rebates. years ago they could sell cars without such huge rebates. tax tags and a small processing fee should be all thats added and you can always negotiate after the first price given and you can go to edmunds dot com to find out invoice price.

TomberLawn
08-25-2008, 12:22 AM
i used to sell cars what the public does not realize is that the manufactures have made the rebates bigger threw out the years but so has the sticker price. they figure out the rebates for the year before the set the sticker price. because that is the only way to sell to people when the market is so bad is such big rebates. years ago they could sell cars without such huge rebates. tax tags and a small processing fee should be all thats added and you can always negotiate after the first price given and you can go to edmunds dot com to find out invoice price.

So rebates are kind of like what some lawn guys do--"Every 4th cut is free!" But, every cut is 33% more. Just reinforces the old saying, there's no free lunch.

GravelyNut
08-25-2008, 01:07 AM
Those mirrors look ******ed on that truck!

If you think they look small in the picture, you ought to see it in real life. It screams for a good set of West Coast mirrors. Also done in black.

TXNSLighting
08-25-2008, 01:22 AM
If you think they look small in the picture, you ought to see it in real life. It screams for a good set of West Coast mirrors. Also done in black.

well its factory small truck mirrors that just dont belong on a truck that size. I think the factory 4500 mirrors would fit better!

tradeyouraccounts
08-26-2008, 12:56 AM
We recently got the New 2008 Tundra quad cab with all the trimmings as Toyota was offering 0% financing. Love the truck but only getting 13 mpg around town compared to the Tacoma 17. Anyways I was happy with the deal

TXNSLighting
08-26-2008, 01:01 AM
Thats to bad.

Ramairfreak98ss
08-27-2008, 11:48 AM
We recently got the New 2008 Tundra quad cab with all the trimmings as Toyota was offering 0% financing. Love the truck but only getting 13 mpg around town compared to the Tacoma 17. Anyways I was happy with the deal

i see a lot of the newest model toyota around here, i almost fell over when i saw how much they really cost lol. 13mpg? is that pulling something? must be that i force sucking fuel forcefully :p I thought tacomas get more than 17mpg, goddam theyre a small truck with little engines. I guess i wont ***** too much about the diesel fuel the big 3 consume with #s like those.

tradeyouraccounts
08-27-2008, 08:19 PM
Thatís 13 mpg just carrying a regular load on the bed not pulling anything I guess I must just have a heavy foot.

Az Gardener
08-28-2008, 01:08 AM
Just saw a Ford Labor Day sale advertised 72 months 0% Wonder how much they will jack the price for the 0% rate?

Petr51488
08-28-2008, 10:07 AM
Thatís 13 mpg just carrying a regular load on the bed not pulling anything I guess I must just have a heavy foot.

Wow, someone who has a tundra thats actually telling the truth. Usually you get guys here who say their pulling a 20ft enclosed full of horses getting 20mpg.

Rons Rightway Lawncare
08-29-2008, 08:26 AM
Last weeks fillup gave me 13.5 mpg. It was about 200 miles of towing my 16 foot enclosed lawn trailer around on my route.... 50 miles of no towing but had a quad in the back and mostly highway driving out to my hangar at the airport.... and another 80 miles or so with about 30 of that not towing anything and the rest was towing a double jet ski trailer with two jet skis. None of this driving was overly conservative, but neither was I driving like I was in a race car either.

Just towing the lawn trailer on my lawn route I average between 10.5-11.5 mpg like clockwork.

I can not say what my running around milage would be with no towing or hauling, I haven't driven the truck much at all without some kind of trailer behind it. I will this winter when work slows down.

GravelyNut
08-30-2008, 01:52 AM
Last weeks fillup gave me 13.5 mpg. It was about 200 miles of towing my 16 foot enclosed lawn trailer around on my route.... 50 miles of no towing but had a quad in the back and mostly highway driving out to my hangar at the airport.... and another 80 miles or so with about 30 of that not towing anything and the rest was towing a double jet ski trailer with two jet skis. None of this driving was overly conservative, but neither was I driving like I was in a race car either.

Just towing the lawn trailer on my lawn route I average between 10.5-11.5 mpg like clockwork.

I can not say what my running around milage would be with no towing or hauling, I haven't driven the truck much at all without some kind of trailer behind it. I will this winter when work slows down.After hearing those milage results I'll stick with my 3500 and 8.1L. Trip north this time pulling the 6X16' trailer still pulled in 11 MPG. And that is including the sections in WV and VA that are 5% grades. Total weight was around 15K. Need to readjust the hitch though as the tongue of the trailer was high even with a 760# tongue load. And it's the first time I've ever seen it drop into 3rd on an upgrade. Keep it above 60 and it will stay in 4th or 5th. Drop to 55 and watch it shift down and run the RPM up to 4K. But it out ran a PS with an almost empty gooseneck trailer. :laugh:

Rons Rightway Lawncare
08-30-2008, 08:57 AM
Keep it if you like it! I am do not have any reason to make other people want to buy a tundra, I just post about my truck because I have been so happy with it. Pretty much all trucks these days are nice, and pretty much all trucks these days will be comparible... But the Toyota I think goes a little further ahead of most of the others in fit and finish, a quiet smooth ride, and a extremely powerful engine. As for gas milage, I believe the Toyota is in the same ballpark or better than other simular trucks. I am getting about the same MPG towing with my Tundra as I was with my former 2003 Avalanche, and the Avalanche was used to tow a open 16 foot trailer with about 500 lbs less weight on it, compaired to the enclosed 16 foot trailer I tow with my Toyota.

I have a good friend in the business that tows the same size enclosed trailer, simular weight payload ( his payoad may be a few hundred pounds more, not sure 100 percent ) and he tows on the same roads as I do. I get better mpg than he does and he is towing with a 2003 Dodge Ram with a cummins diesel....

GravelyNut
09-02-2008, 04:06 AM
Most vehicles pulling the same loads at the same speeds will get about the same MPG. It all boils down to the HP needed to overcome the drag and most trucks are close to the same. But where it matters to me is not getting stuck on the long upgrade between the NC/VA stateline and Hillsville, VA doing under 60 MPH. And yes, it was a 6X16' foot box that I was hauling. Return trip was with the same 6X16', only 3' lower in height.

SimonCX
09-02-2008, 07:38 PM
I don't see these great deals that some are talking about, I visited 3 ford dealers today looking to buy a new diesel, first one $41k mrsp lower it to $38 and thats is, 2nd lower only 1k and third was about the same as the first. All were with the 0% for 72, if I picked the $6500 rebate they said the apr would be around 9% even with prefect credit that I have. So I don't see any great deals, no wonder all the dealers had 20+ trucks sitting and the one I wanted to test drive had been sitting so long the battery died.

nosparkplugs
09-02-2008, 09:22 PM
The 45% off MSRP deals are 1/2 ton gasburner models, dealers will not come off much on MSRP, on: diesels, 3/4 ton or larger thats their bread & butter models.

TXNSLighting
09-02-2008, 10:55 PM
I don't see these great deals that some are talking about, I visited 3 ford dealers today looking to buy a new diesel, first one $41k mrsp lower it to $38 and thats is, 2nd lower only 1k and third was about the same as the first. All were with the 0% for 72, if I picked the $6500 rebate they said the apr would be around 9% even with prefect credit that I have. So I don't see any great deals, no wonder all the dealers had 20+ trucks sitting and the one I wanted to test drive had been sitting so long the battery died.

Wow you dont have a very good dealer. Im really hearing diesels advertised at 12k off now. with the 0% for 72.

Ramairfreak98ss
09-02-2008, 11:02 PM

lol, simon which dealers were those? I know the one on rt38 has some chassis cab dump stuff and all thats 5-10k off sticker on the windshield, but i do agree, in jersey you dont see any of these deals.

Even 10k off a chassis truck WITH body isnt much

Since ive seen tons of places so far all over the US selling trucks for 10-14k off STICKER of the chassis itself, then add the body, say its 10k, minus $1500 upfit rebate and then you can get a little more off with any ford motor credit finance plan, most are 1.9% and higher but they are there.

You know kerbeck Caddy just had an add on a couple weeks back, 57k Escalades for 35k, i think their deal was like 50% off most escalade models, went online and didnt see the same deal by far, but my brother saw the same ad, and calls me up, DUDE they got escalades for 50% off lol. Honestly he could barely afford the note on a 20k car let alone 35k+ If i had a big huge garage already to keep something that nice id look for one of those pickup EXT escalades, i always thought they were pretty neat

SimonCX
09-02-2008, 11:37 PM
I went to the ford on rt33 and rt1 both didn't want to come down more then 2-3k from mrsp, the only thing they offered was the $6500 rebate but you don't get the low aprs, the apr was around 8-9% with the rebate. If it was the rebate and a apr of 1.9 or 2.9 I would have a new truck in the driveway but no way am I paying 9% with prefect credit. I'll wait rt33 had about 25-30 SD's sitting for a while now and 09's are coming so hopefully ford will drop the apr and still have the rebates.