PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Fay

Ric
08-18-2008, 10:30 AM
Yo

With Hurricane Fay breathing down my neck, This might be my last post on LS. After Hurricane Charlie wiped me out just 4 years ago, I just don't have it in me to start over again. I got in this business after a divorce left me totally broke 15 years ago. I was already retired from a state job at the time. I started in this business with an electric chain saw knocking on doors to trim palm trees in 1993. By 1996 in was cutting grass by day and going to college by night getting my AS in 1999 and BS in 2002. I also became the single parent raising my children in 1996. BTW they both have degrees now and are professionals. 1999 I added pest control. 2000 I added a wholesale nursery. 2001 I became a licensed Irrigation Contractor. 2004 just 50 days after buying a retail nursery, Hurricane Charlie wiped me out. A 1.2 m loss uninsured left both mentally and financially broke. I picked myself up once again and two years ago started a Fert & squirt business and have been doing OK. The lack of stress of a one man band has made me a happy camper this last year. I have been enjoying riding my motorcycle and actually using my boat. I have been doing extremely well with my love of playing tournament pool and winning many tournament. But sometime in the next 12 to 36 hours my world may come to an end. Statistically I have 7.5 years left. But my investment income won't let me live, only survive. I have been hand to mouth before and don't want to go there again. Mother Nature can be a cruel B!tch.

capelawncare.com
08-18-2008, 10:48 AM
Hang in there brother, it aint easy down here, but it will get better.

gregory
08-18-2008, 10:49 AM
Nah ric you can pick yourself up again..but if you decide to not come back your knowladge will be missed...i will still call you......

the weather is nice before a big storm like this.....

and we can find out what the insurance companys aren't going to pay for like they do every time we get a hurricane...crooks

Charles
08-18-2008, 11:07 AM
You never know, but it looks like this one is going to be a minimal Hurricane. Not much time to develop before hitting land. After such a big loss, may have been better to get out of Florida and start over. Florida will always be Hurricane alley. The entire state can be subject to full blown Hurricanes. Not a question of if but when. Just a very risky place to live and Insurance companies are baling out and for good reason. 4 powerful Hurricanes in one year. I don't see how anybody stands the weather stress of living there now after seeing what happened to Miami during Andrew

Ric
08-18-2008, 11:27 AM
Nah ric you can pick yourself up again..but if you decide to not come back your knowladge will be missed...i will still call you......

the weather is nice before a big storm like this.....

and we can find out what the insurance companys aren't going to pay for like they do every time we get a hurricane...crooks

Karl

The weather is OK cloudy and cool. But even if I am tanked up and ready to go this morning. I can not morally put out fertilizer and pesticides I know will be washed away by tomorrow night. I know there are those that would. So today will be a long one of waiting.

Insurance companies do have a license to steal. But with half the world trying to get rich off of false claims you can't blame them. Look at the lawyers who advertise on TV. It is lazy greed that has ruined America. BTW my house doesn't have insurance and I only carry liability insurance on every thing else. Insurance companies claim my house doesn't meet the new insurance standards. I am not the only one in that boat, most people without mortgages don't have insurance.

gregory
08-18-2008, 11:27 AM
yeah andrew was a bad one and charlie was also a bad one...but before andrew name one that was that bad and hit south florida you have to go back several years and i mean several years to find one...and then look at all of the people who paid for insurance all of those years and didn't need it..and now hurricanes are hitting florida all of the insurance companys are leaving no money to be made so they leave i say once you leave if i was the state i wouldn't let them back in.....

i lived down here since 1972 i grew up down here while growing up we never got hit by a hurricane like andrew whne was that in 1994 thats pretty good if you ask me we were due for andrew and charlie..it our time for hurricane in the next few years it will be somebody elses turn........

Charles
08-18-2008, 12:11 PM
yeah andrew was a bad one and charlie was also a bad one...but before andrew name one that was that bad and hit south florida you have to go back several years and i mean several years to find one...and then look at all of the people who paid for insurance all of those years and didn't need it..and now hurricanes are hitting florida all of the insurance companys are leaving no money to be made so they leave i say once you leave if i was the state i wouldn't let them back in.....

i lived down here since 1972 i grew up down here while growing up we never got hit by a hurricane like andrew whne was that in 1994 thats pretty good if you ask me we were due for andrew and charlie..it our time for hurricane in the next few years it will be somebody elses turn........

I counted 7 Hurricanes to hit somewhere in FLA since 1960. NOAA website. But really only takes on Hurricane to wipe your neighborhood/City out and/or kill you. Only one Hurricane to cause Insurance companies billions. Just Andrew did $26.5 Billion in damage. $1 Billion in Louisiana and the rest in South Florida.
Like I said in another thread. We have an invasion Florida people getting out of there and moving here since 2004. Fear or Insurance, they have had enough it seems. Not an easy thing to do if you love where you live. Fla is a great place to me otherwise. I like visiting there

Lawn-Sharks
08-18-2008, 01:07 PM
This may sound bad but i hope fay does little damage..but nothing bad though, just enough that some of LCO's get some extra business cleaning up the after math left on peoples lawns..Im sure that fay will blow right over you ric, so don't worry to much bro!

Ric
08-18-2008, 02:06 PM

Karl

If you have driven in my town lately, we are not cleaned up from Charlie after 4 years. There are still blue tarps on a few houses and commercial property in town still has vacant lots with debris on them. Strip malls along 41that have rebuild are now closer to the road with less parking because of our fine zoning & Planning Commission. A lot of people got cheated by the same Zoning and Planning Commission. Building that were condemned and slated to be torn down, where purchased cheap and repaired by investors.

I was in Donna, 1960 and she moved slow, so we had hurricane force winds for 14 hours. Charlie moved fast and an hour and half it was over. I was in the eye of Charlie and even went outside knowing it was only half over.

skennedy04
08-18-2008, 02:20 PM
Hang in there man,I saw 3 Allstates motorhomes heading sth on I 75 about 2 hrs ago.

garydale
08-18-2008, 03:18 PM
I hope you make out OK!
We really need Faye to come up the coast to help the transition zone though.

gregory
08-18-2008, 03:23 PM
I counted 7 Hurricanes to hit somewhere in FLA since 1960. NOAA website. But really only takes on Hurricane to wipe your neighborhood/City out and/or kill you. Only one Hurricane to cause Insurance companies billions. Just Andrew did $26.5 Billion in damage. $1 Billion in Louisiana and the rest in South Florida.
Like I said in another thread. We have an invasion Florida people getting out of there and moving here since 2004. Fear or Insurance, they have had enough it seems. Not an easy thing to do if you love where you live. Fla is a great place to me otherwise. I like visiting there

if you look at the hurricanes that hit florida one was in 1975 and then andrew was in 1992 that is a long stretch for insurance companys to make alot of money...i don't think its fair for people to pay for insurance and then when they need it they haul ass or give you the run around..that is 17 years i am sure the insurance companys made there 26.5 billion in those 17 years...i just think the state needs to step in and stop this license to steal...i been in my house since 1995 never had a claim didn't have no damage from charlie then wilma came blew down my privacy fence guess what they don't cover that they only cover my house which is fine nice for them to tell me that......

i agree florida is a great place to live i don't plan on moving every state has its weather problems look at up north they have snow ice stroms its not paradise any where....

gregory
08-18-2008, 03:25 PM
Karl

If you have driven in my town lately, we are not cleaned up from Charlie after 4 years. There are still blue tarps on a few houses and commercial property in town still has vacant lots with debris on them. Strip malls along 41that have rebuild are now closer to the road with less parking because of our fine zoning & Planning Commission. A lot of people got cheated by the same Zoning and Planning Commission. Building that were condemned and slated to be torn down, where purchased cheap and repaired by investors.

I was in Donna, 1960 and she moved slow, so we had hurricane force winds for 14 hours. Charlie moved fast and an hour and half it was over. I was in the eye of Charlie and even went outside knowing it was only half over.

RIC your right your town got hit hard and is still feeling the effects of charlie..then with the encomy the way it is doesn't make it better hopefully it won't be another charlie....

americanlawn
08-18-2008, 07:50 PM
I'm watching the Weather Channel keeping tabs on Florida (not lookin' good). Sure -- we had floods & tornadoes in Iowa, but they are not as wide-spread as a hurricane event. My life hit rock bottom when I got divorced in Texas. I lived 'pay check to pay checheck' --often just eating peanut butter & bread just to survive & pay child support at the same time. So I came back to Iowa -- living with my folks until I could find a better job. I'm not especially religious, butI I just said a prayer for you, as I hope things turn out good for you. I post this in all sincerety, cuz I've been there. God bless you Ric. Larry.

Yo

With Hurricane Fay breathing down my neck, This might be my last post on LS. After Hurricane Charlie wiped me out just 4 years ago, I just don't have it in me to start over again. I got in this business after a divorce left me totally broke 15 years ago. I was already retired from a state job at the time. I started in this business with an electric chain saw knocking on doors to trim palm trees in 1993. By 1996 in was cutting grass by day and going to college by night getting my AS in 1999 and BS in 2002. I also became the single parent raising my children in 1996. BTW they both have degrees now and are professionals. 1999 I added pest control. 2000 I added a wholesale nursery. 2001 I became a licensed Irrigation Contractor. 2004 just 50 days after buying a retail nursery, Hurricane Charlie wiped me out. A 1.2 m loss uninsured left both mentally and financially broke. I picked myself up once again and two years ago started a Fert & squirt business and have been doing OK. The lack of stress of a one man band has made me a happy camper this last year. I have been enjoying riding my motorcycle and actually using my boat. I have been doing extremely well with my love of playing tournament pool and winning many tournament. But sometime in the next 12 to 36 hours my world may come to an end. Statistically I have 7.5 years left. But my investment income won't let me live, only survive. I have been hand to mouth before and don't want to go there again. Mother Nature can be a cruel B!tch.

txgrassguy
08-19-2008, 12:40 AM
Hey Ric, if you need a place to crash for a while, I've got room in Central Texas.
Stay as long as you like.
Most important, Stay Safe.
Steve

Ric
08-19-2008, 08:06 AM
Hey Ric, if you need a place to crash for a while, I've got room in Central Texas.
Stay as long as you like.
Most important, Stay Safe.
Steve

Steve

Thanks for the offer, It is nice to know I have several good friends in Texas. This morning weather report advises I am out of the real bad danger zone. However they report I will get up to 8" of rain and 30 to 50 MPH stead winds with 60 MPH gusts. Since I am on water front, the 2 to 4 feet tidal surge may be a minor problem also. But all in all My mental state is clam and I will be OK. About 3 months after Hurricane Charlie, Post trauma stress hit me very hard.

gregory
08-19-2008, 09:56 AM
ric this one has been very mild compared to the others that have hit us over the years...i haven't lost power yet still have internet and my direct tv has been on the whole time not to bad...and right now the eye is just south east of me....mainly got some light to med rain fall...not bad at all so far.....

if we get a bad one and you need a place to stay give me a call i have a spare room......no fighting with my pits...........

RAlmaroad
08-19-2008, 10:06 AM
ric this one has been very mild compared to the others that have hit us over the years...i haven't lost power yet still have internet and my direct tv has been on the whole time not to bad...and right now the eye is just south east of me....mainly got some light to med rain fall...not bad at all so far.....

if we get a bad one and you need a place to stay give me a call i have a spare room......no fighting with my pits...........

Glad to hear that Karl! I've been watching the NOAA site and tracking the storm. I've been through so many that I have scars and callious. I've even sailed through one off the coast of Cape Hattarus. Limped into Beauford, NC with an engine that had pulled itself off the transmission when the boat would slam into a trough at the bottom of a 20' wave. We were taking on water where the prop shaft pulled the prop against the hull when the engine slamed forward. All four motor mounts were broken clean into.
Sat through a bunch in NC and took care of a marina by my self in the Cheasepeke.
There clearly Angels watching over us,
Take Care, Eat and Get some rest,
Roy

Ric
08-19-2008, 11:52 AM
Karl

We haven't had anything but a light stead rain so far. Even with the full moon high tide in about an hour my dock is still high and dry. We are lucky that Fay turned East and put us on the left side. But I pity the farms and Farm worker in the central green belt of Florida. Hopefully this won't flood out their crops.

Just 4 years and 6 days ago on Friday the 13th of 2004 I watched as Hurricane Charlie ripped my world apart. Until you actually watch two story brick buildings being ripped apart can you even begin to understand the power of Mother Nature. I spent about an hour in my bathroom that day with the skylight ripped open and rain pouring in. But I was too scare to leave that room in fear of the house coming down around me. When it went dead clam I ventured outside in the eye of Charlie to see what looked like a Bomb had hit. Knowing the other half of Charlie was yet to come I crawled back inside. 40 years before Hurricane Donna poured 14 hours of rain on my parents house with the roof ripped off. But Charlie came and went in less than two hours.

One of the little results of Charlie were the regular flat tires for over 3 months from road debris. I bought Tire sealer in 5 gallon buckets to try and combat the flats. But I still had to become an expert on plugging tires.

Whitey4
08-19-2008, 12:58 PM
While I wish no one any difficulties whatsoever, people that decide to live on waterfront property in hurricane alley decided that the rewards were worth the risk.

The filthy rich people on Long Island who built 3 million dollar homes on the southern beaches on the east end seem to think that they deserve to have the Army Corp of Engineers spend billions of tax payer dollars to rebuild water breaks and barrier beaches to protect these vacation homes.

One makes their own choices, and complaining when those risky choices cause damage and heartbreak... well, I am not overly sympathetic. The lifestyle of waterside living must be wonderful, but the risks are high, and people choose to do it anyway... and sometimes, my money gets spent to protect them.

gregory
08-19-2008, 01:08 PM
i would rather spend my money to protect them then see my money given to those who don't want to work and think welfare is a way of life

Whitey4
08-19-2008, 01:30 PM
i would rather spend my money to protect them then see my money given to those who don't want to work and think welfare is a way of life

I'd rather see those that choose to live in high risk locations foot the bill, and welfare? geeze... what does that have to do with anything in this thread? What taxpayer LIKES the welfare, section 8 and food stamp group?

Ric
08-19-2008, 01:54 PM

Thank You Karl

That was a great reply.

Life is too short not to enjoy it. I wished I could afford to live right on the Beach. But I must settle for up stream on the river. If I go East I can fish Fresh water and West is Salt water. I feel I have worked hard all my life and deserve to enjoy the few years I have left. I have no hard feeling for those who have more than me. I have friends who have less than I and those who have more. I don't try to keep up with those who have more and I don't expect those with less to keep up with me. In other words I don't count who buys the most beers, only that a person tries to reciprocate to the best of their ability. Like Karl I can't stand those who try to live off of others.

gregory
08-19-2008, 03:14 PM
I'd rather see those that choose to live in high risk locations foot the bill, and welfare? geeze... what does that have to do with anything in this thread? What taxpayer LIKES the welfare, section 8 and food stamp group?

those who choose to live in those high risk locations do foot the bill they pay higher insurance rate and i am sure pay a higher property tax b/c there property is worth more b/c its on the water or river...and if some of my tax dollars go to RIC or anybody else thats is fine with me b/c i know they paid taxs just like me and are noting living off of my back and sweat....

Whitey4
08-19-2008, 03:25 PM
Well, I don't know much about Ric's situation, which was why I referenced the situation on LI. These VERY rich people have political power, and get millions upon millions of $$$ to have the Army Corp of Engineers built jetties, breakwaters and barrier beaches EVERY year to protect a handful, like 75 three and four million dollar beachfront vacation homes.

Still, live on the water... take the risk on your own back, not on the average Joe taxpayer. no jealousy here at all.... I happen to love my landlocked safe, attractive home. I can drive 20 minutes to a launch. Fresh and salt... but I have insurance, and chose NOT to live in a high risk area... and then whine about it. :cry: :laugh:

gregory
08-19-2008, 04:18 PM
should we have the same opinion for those who choose to live in the mid west where tornado are always a problem don't whine to me when they get hit by a tornado b/c they choose to live there or out west where earth quakes hit don't whine to me b/c you choose to live a high risk location.....

i agree if those houses are very few but have a ton of money spent on them thats not fair but i would bet they pay some pretty high property taxes every year ....i would bet its more then you pay in taxes....

americanlawn
08-19-2008, 06:25 PM
A close friend of mine lost his home due to floods this spring. This morning, we picked up one of our trailers he borrowed from us months ago to evacuate his belongings. My friend is head of Drake University's grounds maintenance. I hope you guys in Florida still have a home....my friend (Ed) and his son do not have a home now. I hope this gives everybody on this site some prospective.

Ric
08-19-2008, 07:08 PM
Whitey

All men are created equal. Only some men are more equal than others. Get used to it, because that is life.

americanlawn
08-19-2008, 07:29 PM
Yep -- and some folks run into more "speed bumps" in life than others. That's when it's time for true friends to step up to the plate and do what is expected.

Whitey4
08-19-2008, 08:53 PM
should we have the same opinion for those who choose to live in the mid west where tornado are always a problem don't whine to me when they get hit by a tornado b/c they choose to live there or out west where earth quakes hit don't whine to me b/c you choose to live a high risk location.....

i agree if those houses are very few but have a ton of money spent on them thats not fair but i would bet they pay some pretty high property taxes every year ....i would bet its more then you pay in taxes....

Another bizarre analogy. Tornadoes are simple luck, good or bad... living on the water in FL is to chose, purposely, to live in a high risk situation. I'm paying 7200 a year in property taxes... and more importantly, I am insured.

Buy a house on a river bank, get flood insurance and don't whine when, not IF it gets flooded. Buying a house on the water is to accept the risk that goes along with it. Buy a house in CA in an area that is known for fires and mud slides or over a fault line... don't whine. Tornadoes can and do happen ANYWHERE... silly analogy.

Hey, I said I didn't wish any harm, physical or property-wise to anyone, but set yourself up for a disaster, and it just might find you. It's more like spraying insecticides without any PPE... you might be fine, but you tempt fate when making a high risk decision. It's worse when those people get tons of federal tax money to protect them and rebuld, and then whine. Funny how when one serves up vinegar so often are surprised when they get vinegar back. Ric? :laugh:

Ric
08-20-2008, 09:14 AM
Whitey

I have had enough Lemons in my life to be an expert at making Lemonade. My Lemonade doesn't always taste great but at least it has always been drinkable.

As for being more Equal than others, The privileged class will always have the less privileged class pay their bills. Get used to it.

grassguy_
08-20-2008, 12:59 PM
Thank You Karl

That was a great reply.

Life is too short not to enjoy it. I wished I could afford to live right on the Beach. But I must settle for up stream on the river. If I go East I can fish Fresh water and West is Salt water. I feel I have worked hard all my life and deserve to enjoy the few years I have left. I have no hard feeling for those who have more than me. I have friends who have less than I and those who have more. I don't try to keep up with those who have more and I don't expect those with less to keep up with me. In other words I don't count who buys the most beers, only that a person tries to reciprocate to the best of their ability. Like Karl I can't stand those who try to live off of others.

Couldn't be said any better Ric! God Bless, hopefully this will pull through as a minimal event there for you. You are in my prayers, be safe! My parents are snowbirds and go down a few times during the summer from here as well, but i know they're sweating about their small place they have there too.