PDA

View Full Version : Dodge Transmissions ??

Phinc
08-18-2008, 05:34 PM
2003-20008 Dodge 2500 4x4 automatic transmission with a deisel

any good ? junk ? thoughts ? responses ? discussions ?

I know that Dodge's auto trans program hasn't been the best, have they gotten any better ? I want a 6spd but the dealer in town has an 04 but its an automatic...........

Any info,stories or complaints or whatever would be great !

Oh i'll be pulling a 6X12 trailer loaded down with lawn equipment in the summer and driveway sealing equipment in the off season. Thanks Paul

coolluv
08-18-2008, 07:06 PM
Dodge trucks have always had transmissions problems for as long as I can remember. I had a 94 Dodge Ram 1500 and had nothing but problems with it. They also are notorious for rear end problems. The interiors are very cheaply built. I could go on and on but you get the point. I would never own a Dodge or Chrysler product again. My brother is a mechanic,ASE certified and has been in the business for 15 years. He warned me when I purchased my Dodge,but I didn't listen.

I should have listened. Every truck has its problems,but Dodge has too many. Look what happened to Mercedes when they merged with Chrysler. Quality went down hill and there sales have been in the toilet. The best thing they did was get away from Chrysler.

Run Forest,Run.

Dave...

TXNSLighting
08-18-2008, 09:02 PM

I know that Dodge's auto trans program hasn't been the best, have they gotten any better ? I want a 6spd but the dealer in town has an 04 but its an automatic...........

Oh i'll be pulling a 6X12 trailer loaded down with lawn equipment in the summer and driveway sealing equipment in the off season. Thanks Paul

the 05+ trans are good.

mag360
08-19-2008, 12:04 AM
'03-'08 very solid. Some 03's got the weaker 47re trans but any with the 305/555 or better had the 48re. We are approaching 100,000 miles of very hard use on an '03 and the trans has been perfect so far.

white1
08-19-2008, 01:22 AM
When you buy a Dodge you buy a truck for life

Cause no ones gonna pay shyt for it later :)

I have one, (not the diesel) that I use for my pull truck, and was looking at the Cummins, I have a friend that works at a diesel shop, he warned me to get a warranty on the trans if I get the auto, but said the 6 spd is VERY good. I like them, but the truck sucks, the drive train is top notch though

D&B Sharp Finish
08-19-2008, 07:31 AM
I love my automatic tranny in my 99 cummins! BUT I also have about $7800 in it... There is nothing wrong with the newer automatics, 03 and newer as long as you dont put a chip in them. If you do get an automatic I would highly suggest a TC and VB upgrade, that alone will give you a very stout transmission at stock or 100-200 extra HP. A TC and VB upgrade should run you about $2000, unless you wanna go all out and get a full billet tranny for alot more...

Ramairfreak98ss
08-19-2008, 10:22 AM
Dodge trucks have always had transmissions problems for as long as I can remember. I had a 94 Dodge Ram 1500 and had nothing but problems with it. They also are notorious for rear end problems. The interiors are very cheaply built. I could go on and on but you get the point. I would never own a Dodge or Chrysler product again. My brother is a mechanic,ASE certified and has been in the business for 15 years. He warned me when I purchased my Dodge,but I didn't listen.

I should have listened. Every truck has its problems,but Dodge has too many. Look what happened to Mercedes when they merged with Chrysler. Quality went down hill and there sales have been in the toilet. The best thing they did was get away from Chrysler.

Run Forest,Run.

Dave...

agreed, im not sure about their newest/unproven models, but i too know a slew of friends who had major trans issues on everything from minivans, durangos, rams etc. Dodge has a nice "cummins" but thats it, if only they had something better to drive it like Ford and GM have theyd do much better. For business, id never ever consider the dodge, i do love how they look though.

Phinc
08-19-2008, 08:16 PM
Thanks for all the tips and info. I think i'll go with my original plan and wait till i find a 6spd. i use to work on cars and trucks and I know dodges reputation for automatics, so I'll take the advice given and keep looking for a standard. Thanks again Paul

IA_James
08-19-2008, 08:19 PM
If it's the 48RE (some '03, and newer diesels) it'll be fine as long as you don't screw around adding power with boxes and such. The NV5600 6 speed is the gold standard for manual trannies. The G56 (easy to spot due to having an aluminum case, or reverse being left and down vs. right and up on 5600) isn't bad, but it has a lower OD ratio, and winds up giving up some mileage due to higher RPMs on the highway.

mag360
08-20-2008, 01:26 AM

That trans will never know what's behind it. Your trailer doesn't even begin to push the limits of one of these trucks. Now is a great time to buy a used diesel---they are selling cheap.

Phinc
08-20-2008, 09:48 PM
10-4 I'm looking and my dealer buddies are trying to find me one !!!

Junior M
08-20-2008, 10:24 PM
05+ is the best auto tranny made by dodge IMO.. suppose to be heavy duty and has a life time warranty from the manufacturer in the later years.. i am not sure what years but they do give the warranty...

TXNSLighting
08-21-2008, 10:14 AM
05+ is the best auto tranny made by dodge IMO.. suppose to be heavy duty and has a life time warranty from the manufacturer in the later years.. i am not sure what years but they do give the warranty...

thats only on half tons

coobie
08-23-2008, 01:41 PM
I love my automatic tranny in my 99 cummins! BUT I also have about $7800 in it... There is nothing wrong with the newer automatics, 03 and newer as long as you dont put a chip in them. If you do get an automatic I would highly suggest a TC and VB upgrade, that alone will give you a very stout transmission at stock or 100-200 extra HP. A TC and VB upgrade should run you about $2000, unless you wanna go all out and get a full billet tranny for alot more...I fully agree with this statement.I have a 2004 dodge 2500 cummins diesel with the auto 48re tranny.The first thing I did at 30,000 miles was upgrade the Valve body and torque converter from Goerend brothers trannys(St.Lucas Iowa):weightlifter:Best money I have ever spent,it made the 48re seem like a new tranny.coobie:)

TandM
08-23-2008, 02:32 PM
our 07 cummins 5.9 with a auto behind it has been great 45000 miles an dno problems yet. I have driven the 6speed and think that it is a great set up it shifts nice and smooth.

davis45
08-23-2008, 03:33 PM
There are very few people in this world who like dodge trucks, i personally will own many more after my current one. I have an Auto 1999 4x4 cummins. I am more worried of front end problems than trannies. My original trans is starting to get rough at 263,000 miles. I have had to put a ball joint and track bar on it but thats all.

TXNSLighting
08-23-2008, 07:04 PM
our 07 cummins 5.9 with a auto behind it has been great 45000 miles an dno problems yet. I have driven the 6speed and think that it is a great set up it shifts nice and smooth.

key word 07

slplow
08-23-2008, 07:52 PM
I have owned seven dodge trucks out of all of them only one had a tranny go and that was my 96 1500 with 86k on it. all were plow trucks as well as pulling trailers. 94 to 97 were the bad yrs for trannys in dodge. Right now fords are having tranny trouble.(04-08) May be the 09 fords tranny will hold.

KCfireman
08-23-2008, 07:55 PM
my uncle is the forman for a diesel shop at a rock quarry here in KC. He says the reason dodge and ford have so many problems with thier tranny's in their diesels is because they produce so much tourqe and they have car transmissions in them.

TXNSLighting
08-23-2008, 08:11 PM
my uncle is the forman for a diesel shop at a rock quarry here in KC. He says the reason dodge and ford have so many problems with thier tranny's in their diesels is because they produce so much tourqe and they have car transmissions in them.

Are you kidding? That was a dumb statement...Ford doesnt have many tranny problems at all. Car trans??!! Come on

coobie
08-23-2008, 08:18 PM
my uncle is the forman for a diesel shop at a rock quarry here in KC. He says the reason dodge and ford have so many problems with thier tranny's in their diesels is because they produce so much tourqe and they have car transmissions in them.Thats funny:hammerhead:I hope I never have to use your uncles diesel shop for tranny service.:)

TXNSLighting
08-23-2008, 08:22 PM
Thats funny:hammerhead:I hope I never have to use your uncles diesel shop for tranny service.:)

hahaha!!!!

mag360
08-23-2008, 10:53 PM

That's true (somewhat) of the cummins. The torque coming in three hard bursts is rough on the torque converter lockup clutch. Heat is a killer for both of them if you tow heavy and don't get into lockup. For dodge it was lose/lose, if you lock the converter the cummins will hurt it, if you leave it unlocked the heat will hurt it. The 7.3 was a little more forgiving on a locked up tranny---many of them did ok. Older GM's would lose overdrive for whatever reason.

nosparkplugs
08-24-2008, 03:38 PM
Dodge trucks & transmissions have performed excellent for us over the years, I had one1996 Dodge 2500 V8 magnum gasburner, got 185,000 miles out of the stock tranny with daily towing & hauling. Rebuilt the transmission HD for $1,975 still running with 450,000 miles :laugh:sold it to my brother whom still uses the truck. Current 48RE is rock soild, smooth shifts, no leaking, no slipping, and is a superior design over the Fords.

I cannot sit buy, and listen to this BS, I had more trouble with one Ford F-350 diesel, & transmission than all my Dodge trucks combined over the years. Ford Transmission went out with only 45,000 miles thats unacceptable. Fords have weak sprag gears

Local transmission rebulider said the Dodge transmissions are the easiest to rebulit, and most realiable. You do get more gears with Fords compared to the Dodge 47RE or HD 48RE; however after rebuilding both a Ford & Dodge automatic; Fords are more expensive to rebuild, and OEM did not last long enough compared, to the POS Dodge 48RE & 48RE or 700's:laugh:

D&B Sharp Finish
08-24-2008, 10:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by D&B Sharp Finish
I love my automatic tranny in my 99 cummins! BUT I also have about $7800 in it... There is nothing wrong with the newer automatics, 03 and newer as long as you dont put a chip in them. If you do get an automatic I would highly suggest a TC and VB upgrade, that alone will give you a very stout transmission at stock or 100-200 extra HP. A TC and VB upgrade should run you about $2000, unless you wanna go all out and get a full billet tranny for alot more...

I fully agree with this statement.I have a 2004 dodge 2500 cummins diesel with the auto 48re tranny.The first thing I did at 30,000 miles was upgrade the Valve body and torque converter from Goerend brothers trannys(St.Lucas Iowa)Best money I have ever spent,it made the 48re seem like a new tranny.coobie

Well I broke my stock output shaft today, just to let you guys know you shouldn't do a 30psi boosted launch in 4wd unless you have a FULL billet tranny... Got a billet one gonna be here tuesday. Now every peice inside the tranny will be billet, kicking myself for not putting the billet output in when i built my tranny the first time:hammerhead: But I did run a 8.82 in the 1/8th should be about a 12.8 in the 1/4...

KCfireman
08-24-2008, 10:54 PM
That's true (somewhat) of the cummins. The torque coming in three hard bursts is rough on the torque converter lockup clutch. Heat is a killer for both of them if you tow heavy and don't get into lockup. For dodge it was lose/lose, if you lock the converter the cummins will hurt it, if you leave it unlocked the heat will hurt it. The 7.3 was a little more forgiving on a locked up tranny---many of them did ok. Older GM's would lose overdrive for whatever reason.Thankyou. I love to go dirt track racing a lot and there was a driver pulling his open air trailer w/ a hobby stock car on it. The hobby stocks are very very light. He was hauling it with his 02' F250 with the powerstroke. He was in front of me and the line was moving to leave the track but he wasnt moving. So i got out and asked if he had a problem and he said i think my tranny just went out. Sure enough he had lost the tranny. The one he had in there didnt even have 12,000 miles on it. Now he's on his third. And btw my uncle is ASE certified

nosparkplugs
08-25-2008, 10:07 AM
Thankyou. I love to go dirt track racing a lot and there was a driver pulling his open air trailer w/ a hobby stock car on it. The hobby stocks are very very light. He was hauling it with his 02' F250 with the powerstroke. He was in front of me and the line was moving to leave the track but he wasnt moving. So i got out and asked if he had a problem and he said i think my tranny just went out. Sure enough he had lost the tranny. The one he had in there didnt even have 12,000 miles on it. Now he's on his third. And btw my uncle is ASE certified

Their are far more failing Ford Transmissions than you could imagine, visit local transmission shop, you'll find out the Dodge transmissions are in for rebuilds less often than Fords. The shop I used, was a one Dodge truck for every three Fords ratio :laugh:

TXNSLighting
08-25-2008, 03:11 PM
Their are far more failing Ford Transmissions than you could imagine, visit local transmission shop, you'll find out the Dodge transmissions are in for rebuilds less often than Fords. The shop I used, was a one Dodge truck for every three Fords ratio :laugh:

Bs, that is so not true. Quit spreading lies because your ONE Ford was a bad one.

mag360
08-25-2008, 03:36 PM

The numbers likely coincide with the number of trucks on the road---there are far more ford diesels than dodge on the road today and ford has been a preferred fleet vehicle choice for many companies.

Lets all be honest and admit that neither dodge nor ford built the perfect trans in the 90's but neither was THAT bad.

KCfireman
08-25-2008, 03:52 PM
i am a huge ford fan don't get me wrong. My family has owned nothing but fords but when the time comes for me to buy a diesel i think I'm gonna have to go with a Chevy just because they have those great allisons in them.:weightlifter:

nosparkplugs
08-25-2008, 07:37 PM
Bs, that is so not true. Quit spreading lies because your ONE Ford was a bad one.

All it takes is one bad truck; regardless of brand one when you spend over $40,000 for a truck.

Just like KLC99 said their are far more Fords on the road, than Dodge so their going to be more recorded trouble. Sorry that it touches a "nerve"

TXNSLighting
08-25-2008, 09:45 PM
All it takes is one bad truck; regardless of brand one when you spend over $40,000 for a truck.

Just like KLC99 said their are far more Fords on the road, than Dodge so their going to be more recorded trouble. Sorry that it touches a "nerve"

I just hate it when people blame an entire brand over one bad personal experience. I had a bad dodge, and now a bad GMC, it doesnt mean im going to start saying how crappy they are, cuz their not. I still like Gm and dodge. Its called friday at 5 trucks! :laugh:

nosparkplugs
08-25-2008, 10:13 PM
I just hate it when people blame an entire brand over one bad personal experience. I had a bad dodge, and now a bad GMC, it doesnt mean im going to start saying how crappy they are, cuz their not. I still like Gm and dodge. Its called friday at 5 trucks! :laugh:

I generally try to sit back,and just read and "bite" my tongue or keyboard on these truck bashing thread. You must admit that the Ford Truck Clan kinda has a big head around here, and do instigate many of these threads. Kinda like poking the sleeping bear with me. :)

mag360
08-25-2008, 10:50 PM
You guys just missed the allison post on the last page:laugh:

TXNSLighting
08-25-2008, 11:01 PM
You guys just missed the allison post on the last page:laugh:

Allison where??!!:laugh:

TXNSLighting
08-25-2008, 11:03 PM
I generally try to sit back,and just read and "bite" my tongue or keyboard on these truck bashing thread. You must admit that the Ford Truck Clan kinda has a big head around here, and do instigate many of these threads. Kinda like poking the sleeping bear with me. :)

That is true. Lets set the record straight and get this in the open. I love the Cummins, i like the dodge. I love the ford and i like the powerstroke. I will defend the Ford/Powerstroke but it doesnt mean i dont like the Dodge cummins. mmm cummins...

Phinc
08-26-2008, 01:39 PM
Oh boy !!! I didn't mean to start a 4 page argument !! Ha Ha Ha ! Thanks for all the info and tips on the Dodge automatics. I'm still looking for a 6spd, dealer today told me $31,250.00 for a 08, 2500 with 23 miles on it !! I just can't afford a new one. Thanks Paul

TXNSLighting
08-26-2008, 07:57 PM
Oh boy !!! I didn't mean to start a 4 page argument !! Ha Ha Ha ! Thanks for all the info and tips on the Dodge automatics. I'm still looking for a 6spd, dealer today told me $31,250.00 for a 08, 2500 with 23 miles on it !! I just can't afford a new one. Thanks Paul

you can get it cheaper.

Phinc
08-26-2008, 09:43 PM
Let me know how and where. Thats what he said over the phone so I figured they would come down some in person. Thanks Paul

TXNSLighting
08-26-2008, 11:24 PM
pretty well any dealer around here.

Trajan3
08-27-2008, 10:48 PM
Anybody can get a bad vehicle at anytime. They are machines and machines can have problems. This is why we have an entire maintenance forum to discuss how to fix our machines. My '04.5 2500 4x4 cummins HO turbo diesel with an automatic had to have a trans rebuild at 60,000 miles and a new torque converter. It was covered under warranty. The truck has 148,000 miles on it now (118,00 on new trans) and not a single problem. Pulled an 8 x 20 8,000# trailer with an additional 2,000# in the truck bed for years with no problem. Pulled in the driveway this afternoon and the average mpg was 24.2mpg. My 1988 dodge truck with 300,000+ miles has never had a transmission or engine rebuild and it still runs today. Its a gas burning tried and true 318.

cowboytim
08-28-2008, 09:34 PM
i have two gas and two diesels never had any trans problems. Keep the fluid changed and you should be good. We work them hard every day. All have over 250,000 miles

Phinc
08-29-2008, 11:53 PM
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=250771766&dealer_id=100011386&car_year=2005&model=RAM25002WD&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=2003&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=32&fuel=Diesel&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=200&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&showZipError=n&make=DODGE&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=5&body_style=TRUCKS&drive=4+wheel+drive&max_mileage=&style_flag=2&sort_type=priceDESC&address=72058&advanced=y&end_year=2009&doors=Four+Door&transmission=&max_price=20000&cardist=37

ok found this one 40 miles from me. How do I tell if it has the 47r or 48r trans ??? Thanks Paul

TXNSLighting
08-30-2008, 10:06 AM
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=250771766&dealer_id=100011386&car_year=2005&model=RAM25002WD&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=2003&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=32&fuel=Diesel&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=200&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&showZipError=n&make=DODGE&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=5&body_style=TRUCKS&drive=4+wheel+drive&max_mileage=&style_flag=2&sort_type=priceDESC&address=72058&advanced=y&end_year=2009&doors=Four+Door&transmission=&max_price=20000&cardist=37

ok found this one 40 miles from me. How do I tell if it has the 47r or 48r trans ??? Thanks Paul

You better make that dealer put some real mirrors on there. I cant stand seeing a 3/4 or one ton with those goofy little mirrors on em.

mag360
08-30-2008, 02:06 PM

All 05's have the 48re.

TXNSLighting
08-30-2008, 03:02 PM
All 05's have the 48re.

isnt it 03+ has the 48? Im trying to learn my dodge autos.

Phinc
08-30-2008, 03:32 PM
All 05's have the 48re.

ok that makes me feel better . west chester huh ? I'm from Pa too, little town called hesston near raystown lake(living in arkansas now). I'll let ya know when i get one thanks again for all the help paul

mag360
08-30-2008, 06:12 PM
isnt it 03+ has the 48? Im trying to learn my dodge autos.

In '03 you could get four transmissions and two engines (that I'm aware of).
In trucks with the standard output motor you could get the nv4500 manual or the 47re auto; with the HO 305/555 motor you could get the nv5600 manual or the 48re auto. I'm not sure if the nv5600 was an option with the standard output motor but I know the 5600 and the 47re were not used with the HO motor.

mag360
08-30-2008, 06:13 PM
ok that makes me feel better . west chester huh ? I'm from Pa too, little town called hesston near raystown lake(living in arkansas now). I'll let ya know when i get one thanks again for all the help paul

Good luck!

TXNSLighting
08-31-2008, 12:16 PM
In '03 you could get four transmissions and two engines (that I'm aware of).
In trucks with the standard output motor you could get the nv4500 manual or the 47re auto; with the HO 305/555 motor you could get the nv5600 manual or the 48re auto. I'm not sure if the nv5600 was an option with the standard output motor but I know the 5600 and the 47re were not used with the HO motor.

Dont forget about the 250 hp cummins in early 03. Had the 5 spd manual...That one sucked!! ( i know you mentioned it) But gosh that was a terrible truck! that truck with the auto sucked so bad also!

mag360
08-31-2008, 01:22 PM
Dont forget about the 250 hp cummins in early 03. Had the 5 spd manual...That one sucked!! ( i know you mentioned it) But gosh that was a terrible truck! that truck with the auto sucked so bad also!

That's the standard output that would have the 47re if equipped with an auto trans. They do well with chips and other power adders but I agree they were nothing special in stock form. I prefer the torque curve of the 98.5-02 24valvers to the common rail motors but the lift and injection pumps needed babysitting.
SO---250hp, 47re auto or nv4500 five speed manual.
HO---305hp, 48re auto or nv5600 six speed manual.

I messed up the last sentence in my previous post. Replace 5600 with 4500.

Phinc
08-31-2008, 08:36 PM
ok so I went and test drove that 05 today. went to pull out of the dealer and the truck never shifted !!!! I guess it was in limp mode !! This after the salesman told me a guy just drove this truck and he was really wanting it !!! HA HA HA heard that line before.. anyway just thought I'd pass that on. He told me he would have a tech look at it on tuesday, but I think I'm gonna run far far away from it...... Now I'm definetly waiting for a 6 spd !!! Paul

mag360
09-01-2008, 12:08 AM
ok so I went and test drove that 05 today. went to pull out of the dealer and the truck never shifted !!!! I guess it was in limp mode !! This after the salesman told me a guy just drove this truck and he was really wanting it !!! HA HA HA heard that line before.. anyway just thought I'd pass that on. He told me he would have a tech look at it on tuesday, but I think I'm gonna run far far away from it...... Now I'm definetly waiting for a 6 spd !!! Paul

Did it stay in 1st or did it start out and stay in 3rd. I know when I was trying to get my lockup switch setup right I triggered limp a couple times and the trans would just stay in 3rd (direct). Mechanically the trans was perfectly sound.

TXNSLighting
09-01-2008, 12:29 AM
Ha interesting... Doesnt sound like a winner...

Phinc
09-01-2008, 11:17 AM
Did it stay in 1st or did it start out and stay in 3rd. I know when I was trying to get my lockup switch setup right I triggered limp a couple times and the trans would just stay in 3rd (direct). Mechanically the trans was perfectly sound.

It was stuck in 3rd, the truck was pretty ragged out. Seats were tore, holes in the dash from a brake controller, bedliner and 5th wheel hitch taken out, needed 4 tires, and two big dents behind the rear wheels ???? I know that its sounds like I'm being picky but, anyway have a good Labor day !!!! Paul

TXNSLighting
09-01-2008, 11:44 AM
Yeh definately pass on that truck.

Evan528
09-01-2008, 12:57 PM
I have an 03 Ram with the S/O cummins and the 48RE tranny. I was told they started using the 48Re during the second half of 03. Great power.... not the smoothest shifting tranny though.

I have had my fair share of fuel system related problems with this truck. in 5 years I have had the lifter pump replaced twice under warranty and Injectors (some of them)replaced twice.