PDA

View Full Version : Should I be worried?

jdmcat
08-18-2008, 05:58 PM
First off, for those who don't know it I am currently working as the pesticide manager/applicator for a local landscaping company that has been in business for over 20 years now. I handle the entire pest control/fertilizer/weed control side of this company by myself, which is just enough to keep me busy from Feb-Nov. I'm not getting rich, but my bills get paid with a little wiggle room at the end of the month. There are two outfits in town that have 4 or 5 techs and there are three or four one man pest control operations. All are locally owned.

Today I heard a rumor that a "major" spraying company is planning on setting up shop next year. I don't know who it is, it could be Orkin, Terminix, TruGreen, not really sure. I really don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

We are pretty well known and have a good reputation in the area, so I don't really foresee us losing too much business over it, but it is possible, after all we are not cheap. Worst case scenario, we lose a bunch of our accounts and I get laid off, or more likely moved to another crew where physical labor is involved.:dizzy:

On the other hand, this could be an opportunity to better myself. I could possibly seek a management position and start making better money and some decent benefits, not to mention I wouldn't have to handle the pesticides nearly as much as I do now. But I would likely lose the flexibility I have with my current employer. The problem is I am a single dad with full custody of my 2 young children, and it's not always easy to find a babysitter during the week.

So tell me what you think, provided that the big boys are actually coming to town, what would you do in my situation?

RAlmaroad
08-18-2008, 06:31 PM
First off, for those who don't know it I am currently working as the pesticide manager/applicator for a local landscaping company that has been in business for over 20 years now. I handle the entire pest control/fertilizer/weed control side of this company by myself, which is just enough to keep me busy from Feb-Nov. I'm not getting rich, but my bills get paid with a little wiggle room at the end of the month. There are two outfits in town that have 4 or 5 techs and there are three or four one man pest control operations. All are locally owned.

Today I heard a rumor that a "major" spraying company is planning on setting up shop next year. I don't know who it is, it could be Orkin, Terminix, TruGreen, not really sure. I really don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

We are pretty well known and have a good reputation in the area, so I don't really foresee us losing too much business over it, but it is possible, after all we are not cheap. Worst case scenario, we lose a bunch of our accounts and I get laid off, or more likely moved to another crew where physical labor is involved.:dizzy:

On the other hand, this could be an opportunity to better myself. I could possibly seek a management position and start making better money and some decent benefits, not to mention I wouldn't have to handle the pesticides nearly as much as I do now. But I would likely lose the flexibility I have with my current employer. The problem is I am a single dad with full custody of my 2 young children, and it's not always easy to find a babysitter during the week.

So tell me what you think, provided that the big boys are actually coming to town, what would you do in my situation?

A very great person told me many years ago: When confronted with a big decision to make...Ask yourself: "What is the worst thing that could happen to you when making a decision?" You already done that above. Then ask yourself and be truthful: "Can I live with that?" So there's your answer. You and you alone can answer that. If you can't then you will have to find what you can live with.
I'm old, been through a lot, seen a lot, things are really never as bad as they seem. Give yourself a little time.

junior091273
08-18-2008, 08:13 PM
Well said RAlmaroad.

Frank Fescue
08-18-2008, 11:25 PM
great oppertunity.

let me explain. this company (probably a servicemaster) is going to come in and expose your area to a whole new marketing campain, one they have never seen before. 10 tim3es what you and the other local outfits could do combined. These people will sign up, and eventually become disatisfied with the service. And it opens up new doors, new business. let the customers flow in. you'll double your workload in 2 years based on this company alone.