PDA

View Full Version : OK time to start the '08 winterizing thread

Pages : [1] 2

DanaMac
08-18-2008, 07:21 PM
Sorry, had to do it.

I have two systems to turn off THIS WEEK (mid August) that called in today. One will be gone until at least November, the other will go on the market because the older lady passed away. They both understand there is still going to be plenty of warm dry weather between now and October. We'll drain now, and b/o later. Little early, but hey, we'll do it.

Compressors will go in for service late this week.

Need to teach tech #2 who is from AZ how to do it. He seems nervous about it.

bicmudpuppy
08-18-2008, 07:39 PM
I hope we don't actually blow out until November, but we did talk about it today. it is still to early to even schedule renting a compressor, but we are starting to make plans. My assistant (been the super before the 9 to 18 hole renovation 9 years ago and on site for a total of 30 years) is retiring in October. He will be "around", but wants to be semi-retired, draw social security and play more golf. They have always rented an 800 before. A 600 was the only option last fall and they had a miserable time at it.

I think I'll build a completely separate program for winterization. Change every head to 2 or 4 minutes all on one magic catchall program. I can then change the percentage from 100 to 50 to 25 and let it run one head at a time for............a very long time :) Maybe one program for each satellite would be better :)

DanaMac
08-18-2008, 07:58 PM
I think I'll build a completely separate program for winterization. Change every head to 2 or 4 minutes all on one magic catchall program. I can then change the percentage from 100 to 50 to 25 and let it run one head at a time for............a very long time :) Maybe one program for each satellite would be better :)

I wouldn't know where to begin on blowing out a golf system. Is everything valve-in-head on your course?

bicmudpuppy
08-18-2008, 10:42 PM
I wouldn't know where to begin on blowing out a golf system. Is everything valve-in-head on your course?

Yes, all valve-in-head. Mostly Toro 750's throwing about 34gpm each. About 60% of my zones are dual heads, and I have around 600 zones (I haven't actually counted :( 11 satellites. most are 48's, but 2 are 64's and 2 are 56's w/ around 15 zones unused here and there) IF the system will do an initial void in 2-3 hours, I'm thinking another 5 hours or so. It will depend on how much I can actually push with the compressor I end up with. I've never tried to do the actual math.

How many/much AIR moves through a nozzle that moves 34gpm@65psi (btw, all my heads have pressure reducing pilot valves set @ 65psi) I'm told w/ the 600cfm compressor, they could only pop 3-4 heads at a time reliably. I'm wondering if this wasn't a connection restriction. I have a 2" plugged valve off of the 10" main in the pump house and I think I could reach 2 of the 1" QC's with 1" hoses. I could also manage 3 - 1" QC's from near the parking lot. My thought is it might be better to use two machines.........................

When I was a pup working, we always used 2 185's to blow a 4" main that watered almost double what I have here in 6 and 8" mains, BUT we didn't water the rough. I might have more pipe/heads/irrigation here than I did there. I most definitely have more pump/water.

DanaMac
08-18-2008, 10:47 PM
My thought is it might be better to use two machines.........................

That was my first thought. Get two at opposite ends of the system. But I've never blown out that large of a comm. system, so I wouldn't know. But it sounds good. :)

AI Inc
08-19-2008, 05:38 AM
Called the rental shop from the lake last wednesday , ordered 2 for 2 months each.

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-19-2008, 07:34 AM
This thread is already boring:sleeping::) Why don't you guys just bring back last years thread or the year before that and reread it. :rolleyes:

Tom Tom
08-19-2008, 08:48 AM
Dana, have you seen this one?

http://denver.craigslist.org/tls/802634564.html

DanaMac
08-19-2008, 08:50 AM
This thread is already boring:sleeping::) Why don't you guys just bring back last years thread or the year before that and reread it. :rolleyes:

You can go back to your 12 months of working and stay out of the winterizing thread then. we're revoking your rights. Have a nice day. :laugh:

DanaMac
08-19-2008, 08:51 AM
Dana, have you seen this one?

http://denver.craigslist.org/tls/802634564.html

Haven't seen that one, but have seen a few others. I am looking to buy a third one. Maybe a 125 cfm. Even looking on ebay, and surrounding states on craigslist. If not, I'll need to rent one for at least a couple weeks.

CAPT Stream Rotar
08-19-2008, 05:17 PM
we start our over 1000 accounts before OCT

Mike Leary
08-19-2008, 05:26 PM
We are considering thinking about it.

Wet_Boots
08-19-2008, 05:37 PM
"There's no winterizing talk in August!!"
http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/2203/nocryinginbaseball1jy9.jpg

CAPT Stream Rotar
08-19-2008, 05:41 PM
blow outs are homerun...

20 working days or so until they start.

Mike Leary
08-19-2008, 05:46 PM
blow outs are homerun..

These are all new (to you) blow-outs, or do you know the systems already?

CAPT Stream Rotar
08-19-2008, 05:49 PM
These are all new (to you) blow-outs, or do you know the systems already?

I know about 1/3 of the systems....which is good for only 3 months

CAPT Stream Rotar
08-19-2008, 05:54 PM
I know about 1/3 of the systems....which is good for only 3 months

And thats just controller and backflow locations..prob about 100 names or by face...

arff!

Wet_Boots
08-19-2008, 06:01 PM
And thats just controller and backflow locations..prob about 100 names or by face...

arff!

and Rotar never forgets a face
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:HsEE6D-_1Enw3M:http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb115/P_Franklin_photos/JLo.jpg

Mike Leary
08-19-2008, 06:05 PM
We air thru quick couple valves installed for that purpose,do you blow thru backflow?

CAPT Stream Rotar
08-19-2008, 06:29 PM
We air thru quick couple valves installed for that purpose,do you blow thru backflow?

yup and guys up here swear by it...
ive serviced 30 year old systems with old pvb's...

no problemo

im sure you will not approve..

<<<<<<<<<<and this is me caring the least

DanaMac
08-19-2008, 11:39 PM
we start our over 1000 accounts before OCT

We should have 1000+ this year. And as Rotar also stated, most are blown through backflow, even if you turn your nose up at the thought.

Kiril
08-20-2008, 12:02 AM
Kill me now

DanaMac
08-20-2008, 12:11 AM
Kill me now

Choose the weapon :hammerhead: Large hammer?

What is the problem guys? I'm like a kid in a candy store around this time. Good, quick, easy money. then lots of time off. Not sure why you warm weather guys want to work 12 months.

There's nothing like a Wednesday 1:00 PM movie, going snowboarding during the week when nobody is there, visiting family and not worrying about work, waking up at 8:00 AM and not freaking out that you missed your first appointment, being able to have kick ass meal cooked and ready for the lil' lady when she gets home, and lastly - sitting in front of the glass doors with a Ski LIft (hot cocoa and peppermint schnapps) and watching it snow knowing that I don't HAVE to go anywhere if I don't want to.

bicmudpuppy
08-20-2008, 10:37 PM
It is pure jealousy Dana, PURE jealousy. I'm heading back to make sure the night water is running. I can't wait for killing frosts or even SNOW. The guys in the pro-shop keep looking at me going........don't you ever take a day off? Are you ALWAYS here? etc. I just smile and tell them to just try and find me when the snow flies :) I will stop in often enough to make sure the hourly guys know what to do so they can get their hours :drinkup:

I just LOVE 2 beer lunch season.

ZX12R
08-20-2008, 11:59 PM

I am curious,whats bad about it as long as you do not have the pressure too high?

AI Inc
08-21-2008, 05:36 AM
I am curious,whats bad about it as long as you do not have the pressure too high?

No problem with PVB and DCVA, on an rpz it will unseat the diaphram then have it sitting a little crooked all winter prone to leaking come springtime. For that reason I dont install rpz,s anymore.

ZX12R
08-21-2008, 09:29 PM
Thanks AI.

dschaefer
08-21-2008, 10:44 PM
Hi, I'm just wondering what valve attachments/sizes I will need for hooking up to residential irrigation systems. I'm assuming there are different sizes because nothing seems to be universal these days hah. I did my own last year it was male threaded 3/4 inch I believe. Thanks.

BSME
08-24-2008, 09:22 AM
Sorry I was late to the show Dana... was in Antigua for a week.

Kinda freaking out now that all winterizing talk is popping up and I have so much left to do still

DanaMac
08-24-2008, 06:43 PM
Sorry I was late to the show Dana... was in Antigua for a week.

Thanks for the back up man. Fimco was all up in my grill about it. :)

Hope you had fun.

J&A
08-24-2008, 10:30 PM
What are we charging for winterizing this year? I'm thinking my loyal clients will get it for $35-$45 a timer?? and newbies's will pay $50-$60. Any thoughts??

Wet_Boots
08-24-2008, 10:41 PM
What are we charging for winterizing this year? I'm thinking my loyal clients will get it for $35-$45 a timer?? and newbies's will pay $50-$60. Any thoughts??:gunsfirin Please kill yourself now, and avoid the rush.

BSME
08-24-2008, 10:46 PM
:gunsfirin Please kill yourself now, and avoid the rush.

looks like a joke... especially since he's in my market and trying to annoy me...

Flow Control
08-25-2008, 07:24 AM
:hammerhead::hammerhead:

J&A
08-25-2008, 08:56 AM
its funny when your the largest company in the SE MI to see the jealous people come out....are you not confident enough to make your prices public???

I love this site because it is supposed to help all of us communicate better and if wise share our prices to make sure their in line. I have over 500+ commercial accounts and reward them for using our services year round.....so if you want to be making rude remarks why don't you spend time on building your business to an acceptable level to hedge down years and while your doing that HELP THE LITTLE GUY.

this is a hard industry but guess what anything you do is hard and as long as you love it you will feel like your not working at all anymore

AI Inc
08-25-2008, 08:57 AM
the correct answer is " as much as your market will allow"

DanaMac
08-25-2008, 09:02 AM
J&A - you even asked "Any thoughts?" in your first post. First EVER post. If you read here long enough, you'd know we don't hand out info easily to newbies.

Your $35-$45 is too low. Way too low. You're undercutting the market, making it easier for Joe StationWagon to try and make a buck.

Also if you read any of the other winterizing threads you'd get an idea of pricing.

J&A
08-25-2008, 09:15 AM
Dana your completly correct....i haven't posted anything but am have been on this site many times. my company started 6 years ago and I got huge quick and turned to lawnsite to totally help me through this. I have a new name because I merged with a buddy.

I was just mad that some people don't respect the little guys when they need help. years ago it wasn't so arrogant on here.

I have not raised prices or been on site in a while and I want to get my hands dirty again. I have over 45 employees and was doing nothing but paperwork.

dana I totaly have read your stuff and value your opinion but as for not giving stuff out to newbies I don't completly agree because I remember where I was years ago and needed help fast.

take care and thanks

Flow Control
08-25-2008, 09:18 AM
its funny when your the largest company in the SE MI to see the jealous people come out....are you not confident enough to make your prices public???

Jealous? Its not hard to find business when you are pricing below value. There is a (large) company in my area that has a large ego since they do a lot of installs. I always wonder, why can't they sell themselves instead of just selling the price aspect of it, then I figured if they did that that wouldn't even get the cheap customers. It's laughable when you see someone selling a service for nothing then bragging about how much work they have. Oh well you will have that aspect in every industry.

Rock On

I bet if you lower your price to say $10-$15 per "timer" you could double your business.

DanaMac
08-25-2008, 09:22 AM
dana I totaly have read your stuff and value your opinion but as for not giving stuff out to newbies I don't completly agree because I remember where I was years ago and needed help fast.

You probably haven't read some of the posts from the different hacks that come on here then. People need to EARN our trust first. Not COMMAND it just because they are in the biz.

If you've grown to 45 employees in 6 years, you have to be doing something right (although not pricing blowouts right :)). Why then are you asking us such a simple question. Seems like we should be asking you questions.

AI Inc
08-25-2008, 09:26 AM
If you've grown to 45 employees in 6 years, you have to be doing something right (although not pricing blowouts right :)). Why then are you asking us such a simple question. Seems like we should be asking you questions.

question #1 , how much does payday suck around your place?
Question #2 Out of 45 employees , how many can you not even stand to look at and handing them a check damn near rips your heart out?

Dripit good
08-25-2008, 09:33 AM
So......which is it J&A? 1 year in the business and fresh from Kentucky, or (only) 6 years here with 500+ commercial accounts?

$35.00 for a blowout in this area!?! Are you nuts? :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

You are not the largest in the area.

If it smells like a fish........it is a fish.

Care to elaborate?

Mdirrigation
08-25-2008, 09:35 AM
I never call blowing out a system a " winterization" it implies too much . we call them blow outs . Due to way too many variables , a blow out is not a guarentee against any damage to the system. To us a residential blow out is nothing more than a service call and thats how we charge , $ XX.XX dollars , be it 1 zone or be it 30 zones as long as its a residential system. It all works out at the end of the day . The adverage system is 8 zones. Adverage time to complete a blow out is 1/2 hour ( thats taking into consideration scheduling , travel , the blow out itself , and billing.

Wet_Boots
08-25-2008, 09:45 AM
I charge extra to dismantle and reassemble the RPZ, when necessary, and for zones above a certain number. Multi-acre residentials have to bring in more.

Mdirrigation
08-25-2008, 09:47 AM
To J and A 45 employees , thats great so your payroll runs about 20 grand a week ,
your gasoline bill is around 3500 dollars a week . Rent , insurance , supplies , equipment etc is what another 20 to 50 grand . Doing rough calculations you need to gross at least $ 150,000 a month to break even . So at 50 dollars a blowout you need to do 3000 stops a month . More power to you

I own my business , it doesnt own me

AI Inc
08-25-2008, 09:50 AM
To J and A 45 employees , thats great so your payroll runs about 20 grand a week ,
your gasoline bill is around 3500 dollars a week . Rent , insurance , supplies , equipment etc is what another 20 to 50 grand . Doing rough calculations you need to gross at least $ 150,000 a month to break even . So at 50 dollars a blowout you need to do 3000 stops a month . More power to you

I own my business , it doesnt own me

I dont care what area one works in. Do you realy think any market can sustain $150,000 a month in irrigation plus competitions work load? Its not possible. The dude is dreaming out load.

DanaMac
08-25-2008, 09:51 AM
I dont care what area one works in. Do you realy think any market can sustain $150,000 a month in irrigation plus competitions work load? Its not possible. The dude is dreaming out load.

He may also be doing landscaping and maintenance.

Waterit
08-25-2008, 12:02 PM
I do so love the controversies!:laugh:

RainmanMN
08-25-2008, 03:01 PM
On a little different note, do any of you guys make customers pre-pay for the blow out?

I just found out a few companies around here do, it sure would give people an incentive to remember to turn off the water...

ULTRAPOS
08-25-2008, 03:40 PM
On a little different note, do any of you guys make customers pre-pay for the blow out?

I just found out a few companies around here do, it sure would give people an incentive to remember to turn off the water...

We offer a pre-pay program as well. This includes start-up, Mid-season check and winterization.

DanaMac
08-25-2008, 05:13 PM
I don't like the prepay. What was price of fuel back in March-May compared to what it may be in October-November? I have two people that prepaid. Two too many.

But, rainman, I think I know what you mean. I know of a couple companies that say send your payment or you're not on the list. but this is right before b/o season, not spring.

RainmanMN
08-25-2008, 05:34 PM
That is what I meant, we send postcards to everyone to let them know what day we will be there and was thinking about requesting pre payment to insure that

a. the water will be off

b. would eliminate the mass chaos that is the blow-out billing for 900 accounts.

c. charge a flat rate for residentials under 12 zones which would also eliminate confusion on the homeowners side as most have no idea how many zones they have.

We have been around for 20 years, and I think most of my customers would be totally fine with pre paying knowing I'm not going to take the $$ and move to Tijuana. Just seeing if anyone had any first hand experience with how customers reacted and what the success rate was. How about this idea, raise the prices 5 bucks then give a 5 dollar discount for pre payment?

DanaMac
08-25-2008, 08:25 PM
How about this idea, raise the prices 5 bucks then give a 5 dollar discount for pre payment?

Might just work. I here ya on the mass billing too. Figuring who billed on site and who didn't.

Without A Drought
08-25-2008, 08:47 PM
about 50% of our customers are pre-paid contracts. it works just fine.

pg

bicmudpuppy
08-25-2008, 09:41 PM

I love this site because it is supposed to help all of us communicate better and if wise share our prices to make sure their in line. I have over 500+ commercial accounts and reward them for using our services year round.....so if you want to be making rude remarks why don't you spend time on building your business to an acceptable level to hedge down years and while your doing that HELP THE LITTLE GUY.

this is a hard industry but guess what anything you do is hard and as long as you love it you will feel like your not working at all anymore

Get your hands "dirty" more often. That world out there is full of jerks who slap crap in the ground an leave, never to be heard from again. We get the equivalent on this site as well. "Helping" the "lil' guy" as you put it is what most of us agree is KILLING our markets and industry. I wouldn't go back to residential service for anything short of my children missing meals and needing a TEMPORARY way to keep a roof over our head. Somebody has to do it, but of those 45 employees, how much TOTAL experience in irrigation does your company have? I would wager less than 100. Even if your an irrigation ONLY company, I still bet the number is less than 150. I worked for a major player in the DFW area when I first moved down there years ago. Leaving may have been one of the few career moves I truly regret. We ran 3 service trucks and 4-5 install crews, commercial only installations. Billing was around 5K/day. The owners were well payed. The techs were well payed. Even the help was well payed. At less than $50/stop for winterizations, none of those people can be WELL payed. You have OVERHEAD and Salaries. Even if your people are marginally well rewarded, what does that leave as PROFIT? Why work that hard for nada?

cush
08-25-2008, 09:59 PM
Our policy for blow outs. Call us when you are ready to have it done.(I will not call you only for you to tell me you are waiting for the last possible moment to have it done) Pay over the phone with cc or send a check. If you choose to pay by check we will call you when it clears the bank to tell you what day we will be there.( I will not be calling you in December asking where the hell my money is or sending letters for leins on your property for less than $100 to big of a PITA.) We do not give time frames we will be there xxx day between 7 am and 9 pm.( I will line up my day as i see fit I don't want you calling me @ 10:05 asking where the hell i am because i said I would be there a 10:00) If you wish we can call you two jobs in advance so you can meet us at your home. If you don't agree to any of these policies you can call someone else.:cool2:

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-25-2008, 10:40 PM
Our policy for blow outs. Call us when you are ready to have it done.(I will not call you only for you to tell me you are waiting for the last possible moment to have it done) Pay over the phone with cc or send a check. If you choose to pay by check we will call you when it clears the bank to tell you what day we will be there.( I will not be calling you in December asking where the hell my money is or sending letters for leins on your property for less than $100 to big of a PITA.) We do not give time frames we will be there xxx day between 7 am and 9 pm.( I will line up my day as i see fit I don't want you calling me @ 10:05 asking where the hell i am because i said I would be there a 10:00) If you wish we can call you two jobs in advance so you can meet us at your home. If you don't agree to any of these policies you can call someone else.:cool2:

You are DA MAN. Been there done that now you've got a plan. This is who you need to listen to you manifold winterizing freaks.

bobw
08-25-2008, 10:54 PM
We send a mailer at the beginning of September to our current customers in good standing. They get a small discount to send in a check or even to call me to get on the schedule. I hold their check until I've done their blow out.

My main purpose in doing this is to get everyone committed early enough for me to optimize my scheduling and trip routing. Up here, all the plumbing is inside and we are just hooking up to a hose bibb to blow through. Time is money and fuel is money; the tighter I can keep the routes, the more money I make.

In 6 years, I've had 3 no pays and 0 bad checks....

AI Inc
08-26-2008, 05:31 AM
here is my post card

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-26-2008, 06:23 AM
here is my post card

I want full disclosure.:)

AI Inc
08-26-2008, 06:25 AM
I want full disclosure.:)

Then go to the polotics forum, yalls, will get that and some made up stuff.

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-26-2008, 07:24 AM
Then go to the polotics forum, yalls, will get that and some made up stuff.

So can I call you Steve?

Wet_Boots
08-26-2008, 07:37 AM
So can I call you Steve?that's Captain Oilcan to you, bub.

AI Inc
08-26-2008, 07:41 AM
So can I call you Steve?

Anyone can call me Steve, 100% improvement over what the ex wife used to call me.

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-26-2008, 07:53 AM
that's Captain Oilcan to you, bub.

So what's your first name boots? Can you even tell us that?

BSME
08-26-2008, 07:58 AM

I'm starting to think you have a crush on him

Dripit good
08-26-2008, 08:11 AM

Don't do it! :nono:

Waterit
08-26-2008, 09:28 AM
here is my post card

You afraid some of us are gonna call or write you?:)

Kiril
08-26-2008, 09:48 AM
You afraid some of us are gonna call or write you?:)

Personal information on a public forum/website = :nono::hammerhead:

AI Inc
08-26-2008, 11:00 AM
Personal information on a public forum/website = :nono::hammerhead:

Exactly , just kinda see it as common sense.

Waterit
08-26-2008, 04:58 PM
Is it personal info - or your business contact info.:confused:

AI Inc
08-26-2008, 06:00 PM
A combination of both. Some of it is one in the same.

RainmanMN
08-27-2008, 04:55 PM
We send a mailer at the beginning of September to our current customers in good standing. They get a small discount to send in a check or even to call me to get on the schedule. I hold their check until I've done their blow out.

I like this idea, still getting the prepayment but takes some fear out of the homeowner...I'm thinking a hybrid of all ideas might just work. Thanks guys.

DanaMac
09-02-2008, 10:29 AM
Geez, September 2nd and I've had 3 people call before 8:30 to get on the list. I enjoy people who plan ahead. :)

Without A Drought
09-03-2008, 06:43 AM
we have our first blowout scheduled for next monday

Wet_Boots
09-03-2008, 06:51 AM
Snowbirds?

DanaMac
09-03-2008, 08:32 AM
we have our first blowout scheduled for next monday

We've shut two down, and will b/o when compressors are out of the shop. Taking them in today. But have our first scheduled for the 24th. Really don't want to do them any earlier.

DanaMac
09-03-2008, 08:33 AM
Snowbirds?

Some of my early ones are due to that. Some are worried it will be an early and hard fall/winter. I hope so!!

Mike Leary
09-03-2008, 10:14 AM
Snowbirds?

I'm starting to get that fever, it was 38 just north of here last night.

BSME
09-09-2008, 10:53 AM
Does this bother anyone else?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50L7lF-j-I4

bobw
09-09-2008, 11:07 AM
Does this bother anyone else?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50L7lF-j-I4

Wow...just wow. I'm sure glad I don't live wherever that was aired.. I see a lot of repair work in the spring...

Wet_Boots
09-09-2008, 11:08 AM
My favorite part is how they can't name the actual plastic that is poly pipe.

DanaMac
09-09-2008, 12:31 PM
My favorite part is how they can't name the actual plastic that is poly pipe.

That was absolutely horrible. Called the poly pipe the wrong thing TWICE. Called the diaphragm the "bladder". Called the PVB the "manifold". Did you see how the one head couldn't stay up after the water was gone. HOME COMPRESSORS CAN NOT DO THIS PROPERLY. What a frigging joke. And of course it was from Colorado. Dumb hicks :rolleyes:

System already had a ball valve replaced once with an off brand. Not original. Stupid hacks.

Mike Leary
09-09-2008, 12:39 PM
Stupid hacks.

Seems like they got a little loose before the show. :drinkup::drinkup::drinkup:

Wet_Boots
09-09-2008, 12:42 PM
Gotta limber up them vocal chords, doncha know!

Waterit
09-09-2008, 03:03 PM
Question:
Would it not be better to blow out downstream of backflow, and avoid any chance of blowing it up? Then of course draining backflow also.

We don't winterize, so I have no idea how this is done. Probably should have done a search before posting, but then again we Floridians never do anything right when it comes to irrigation:laugh:

DanaMac
09-09-2008, 03:13 PM
Question:
Would it not be better to blow out downstream of backflow, and avoid any chance of blowing it up? Then of course draining backflow also.

We don't winterize, so I have no idea how this is done. Probably should have done a search before posting, but then again we Floridians never do anything right when it comes to irrigation:laugh:

it's best to do it that way. But there is not always a tee hookup past the BFV.

Mike Leary
09-09-2008, 03:18 PM
we Floridians never do anything right when it comes to irrigation

Neck in neck with Texas. We always install a quick-couple valve downstream
of the DCVA to winterize & blow the backflow with a bicycle pump, they only
need 7 psi to winterize, we leave the ball valves at a 45 degree angle.
The idea is to avoid melting the check retainers, though if you can adjust
the compressor psi, no problemo.

greenmonster304
09-09-2008, 03:54 PM
i am now dumber having watched that

Flow Control
09-09-2008, 04:17 PM
:::::::::::: Ya::::::::::::hoos::::::::::::::

Should call them up in the spring and tell them that I have freeze damage and I watched and followed their instructions to a T.:)

FIMCO-MEISTER
09-09-2008, 04:50 PM
That was really interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Mike Leary
09-09-2008, 05:03 PM
That was really interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Welcome to the forum.

Waterit
09-09-2008, 10:22 PM
But there is not always a tee hookup past the BFV.

Upsell, a la Fimco!

DanaMac
09-19-2008, 09:56 PM
Finally picked up another (third) compressor tonight. And AGAIN I found it on craigslist.com in Denver. It's a 100 CFM Grimmer Schmidt. I was looking for something just like this - a 100-125 CFM, smaller, compact unit. What I didn't realize until I looked at it, is it's a V6 engine, with no compressor unit. Three cylinders work as usual, and the other side produces the air and pressure. I don't know exactly how, but it works. It needs a few things done to it, but not too bad really. Dark out now so I will post pics this weekend.

Cheers :drinkup:

allinearth
09-20-2008, 08:15 AM
This has probably already been discussed but what is the smallest CFM that can realistically be used to winterize. Mostly residential and some small to midsize commercial.

AI Inc
09-20-2008, 08:17 AM
90 cfm , is the smallest I woul even consider. I have used an old lindsey 80 before , More of a hassle then its worth.

Mike Leary
09-20-2008, 09:23 AM
Finally picked up another (third) compressor tonight. And AGAIN I found it on craigslist.com in Denver. It's a 100 CFM Grimmer Schmidt. I was looking for something just like this - a 100-125 CFM, smaller, compact unit. What I didn't realize until I looked at it, is it's a V6 engine, with no compressor unit. Three cylinders work as usual, and the other side produces the air and pressure. I don't know exactly how, but it works. It

Same kind as ours: does it have the attachment to vary the psi?

DanaMac
09-20-2008, 05:56 PM
Same kind as ours: does it have the attachment to vary the psi?

I'm not sure, but I doubt it. It was registering about mid-high 90s for psi. I can live with that if not able to adjust. I'm looking forward to using it. Just woke from a nap. :) Pics tomorrow. Probably won't do a reel this year. We're getting one set up next week that Tom Tom gave us. And possibly get another for the second one.

DanaMac
09-20-2008, 07:00 PM
One quick pic. We need to do a little work, but not too much.

Wet_Boots
09-20-2008, 07:04 PM
2-inch ball hitch?

DanaMac
09-20-2008, 07:06 PM
2-inch ball hitch?

Yup. But if you look at it, I can turn it 180 degrees and make it a pintle(sp?) hitch. I think :)

Mike Leary
09-20-2008, 10:55 PM
Same mock-up as ours only we have a 125..check for psi adjustment.

DanaMac
09-20-2008, 11:19 PM
Same mock-up as ours only we have a 125..check for psi adjustment.

I'll look Monday when I take it to the shop. What's it look like? A regular PRV type adjustment?

Mike Leary
09-20-2008, 11:24 PM
I'll look Monday when I take it to the shop. What's it look like? A regular PRV type adjustment?

Yup, you'll see it if you have it: clockwise/counter just like a prv.

DanaMac
09-20-2008, 11:25 PM
Yup, you'll see it if you have it: clockwise/counter just like a prv.

Gracias amigo.

Brett's Cutting Edge
09-22-2008, 01:46 PM
I would have to agree with J&A, I live near him and get flyers for winterizations every day ranging from 25-35 for up to 10 zones. I figured 35 for up to 8 zones and anything over charge an extra 5 per zone. It seems like the prices go down every year instead of going up.

Flow Control
09-22-2008, 02:16 PM
First day for me today. We don't "start" winterizations until 10/1 but had 4 call and request today since they are snowbirds and while I was out I picked up 3 more. Thank god for winterizations, could not image making it through the winter without them.

bobw
09-22-2008, 02:23 PM
I refer to blow outs as my "parting gift" for the winter. If it wasn't for them, I'd dump residential business completely and focus solely on commercial installations

BSME
09-22-2008, 04:45 PM
It seems like the prices go down every year instead of going up.

yea but they don't have to.

we're going to do do 1,200-1,500 winterizations for $20-$30 more a pop than those clowns. You can keep those PITA customers that price shop.

No full time irrigation company is doing it for $35 in your area. It's all those grass cutters that figure a winterization takes about as long as a cut so $35 is better than the $22 they normally get. Idiots.

for $35 a winterization I'd rather work for someone else and not have to deal with the stress of running a failing company.

Mike Leary
09-22-2008, 05:10 PM
yea but they don't have to. You can keep those.

It's just a path down the road to being either a rep or a counter jockey:
Winterize is your "tip" for taking care of the clients all season long. It insures
you'll stay in business and be back in the spring. It is also the time, if you
pay attention, of spotting leaks, breaks, etc., giving you early work.
Geez, you got a truck, a compressor, they both burn some pricey fuel, by
rights (and by insurance code in some states), you've got to have someone
standing by the compressor...how you gonna winterize for less than $80.00
on a 8 zoner & $15.00 a zone after that? How to lose, IMHO. :cry:

irritation
09-22-2008, 09:18 PM
One quick pic. We need to do a little work, but not too much.

I've rented compressors just like that one and they do a good job, but they are very noisy and the hoses will get very hot on larger systems.
I'm not putting down your compressor but I could never go back after using diesel.

DanaMac
09-22-2008, 09:44 PM
I've rented compressors just like that one and they do a good job, but they are very noisy and the hoses will get very hot on larger systems.
I'm not putting down your compressor but I could never go back after using diesel.

This one is less noisy that my other two. I also have a 185 IR diesel, and a 150 IR gas. this third one is kind of my parttime and spare machine. I will have the two techs using the IRs fulltime, and I will be doing about 30%-50% in the field with blowouts. Maybe a little more. This one will not be used for commercial, except for residential size commercial, all 1" lines. and if one of the others breaks down, we have a spare when all the rental shops are empty from renting out to the sprinkler/landscape guys.

Mike Leary
09-23-2008, 01:33 PM

Here's a couple of pics of the psi adjustment on our compressor.
On the middle right in pic #1.

Wet_Boots
09-23-2008, 01:45 PM
Looks like an unloader arrangement.

Mike Leary
09-23-2008, 01:52 PM
Looks like an unloader arrangement.

I think so, I bought this from a rental outlet that got so pissed off at my crew leaving it dialed-down, he made me a offer to buy it I could not refuse. It's been so handy for systems we did not install, where it could just idle-winterize at 40 psi.

AI Inc
09-23-2008, 02:05 PM
Ones on the sullair I have now looks just like a h20 PR.

Wet_Boots
09-23-2008, 02:14 PM
I expect the unloaders will give cooler operation, since unloaded cylinders aren't compressing the air.

Mike Leary
09-23-2008, 02:23 PM
Very quiet @ 40 psi.

DanaMac
09-23-2008, 04:34 PM
Here's a couple of pics of the psi adjustment on our compressor.
On the middle right in pic #1.

Mine looks a little different. More like a water PRV. I'll take pics from shop tomorrow.

Mike Leary
09-23-2008, 04:41 PM
Mine looks a little different. More like a water PRV. I'll take pics from shop tomorrow.

That could be even neater; you can see where channel locks have been applied to ours.

Wet_Boots
09-23-2008, 04:53 PM
I bet it will give you pretty hot air. Useful for those frozen PVBs.

DanaMac
09-23-2008, 04:57 PM
I bet it will give you pretty hot air. Useful for those frozen PVBs.

On the side are two ball valves. One allows to bypass the tank I believe. A sticker says to keep the first one closed, unless warm air is needed.

Mike Leary
09-23-2008, 05:02 PM
[QUOTE=Wet_Boots;2526016]I bet it will give you pretty hot air. Useful for those frozen PVBs.[/QUOTE:
No wizard reaction except you, Du Wayne. I use brass fittings all the way to the main, & that is a brass tee w/ sch 80 m.i.p.t. The brass absorbs the heat;
geez, that sounds like a Neil Diamond song.

Waterit
09-23-2008, 07:29 PM
[QUOTE=Wet_Boots;2526016]I bet it will give you pretty hot air. Useful for those frozen PVBs.[/QUOTE:
No wizard reaction except you, Du Wayne. I use brass fittings all the way to the main, & that is a brass tee w/ sch 80 m.i.p.t. The brass absorbs the heat;
geez, that sounds like a Neil Diamond song.

::::You don't bring me flowers...::::

Bentrack
09-28-2008, 03:04 PM
Anyone ever left one of the valves (on the pigtail) just off the compressor partially open to adjust PSI when you don't have a regulator? Only problem is.... I think you may have to keep playing with the valve as the demand changes from zone to zone.

Mike Leary
09-28-2008, 03:14 PM
Anyone ever left one of the valves (on the pigtail) just off the compressor partially open to adjust PSI when you don't have a regulator? Only problem is.... I think you may have to keep playing with the valve as the demand changes from zone to zone.

It can be done, not very accurate & noisy as hell. :dizzy:

Bentrack
09-28-2008, 04:37 PM
Where's a good place to pick up a 1/2" or 3/4" pressure regulator to use on an air compressor. I forgot that opening a valve to relieve pressure would be quite noisy! :hammerhead:

Wet_Boots
09-28-2008, 04:54 PM
A PRV for water can work on air, depending on temperatures and device rating. If I had to spend $$$ on a special PRV, I might throw the money at an aftercooler instead.

Mike Leary
09-28-2008, 05:06 PM
I might throw the money at an aftercooler instead.

I'd throw it at this dear if I could afford it.

DanaMac
09-28-2008, 11:09 PM
I'd throw it at this dear if I could afford it.

Mike, I'm salivating at that pic. I can't tell you guys how much I enjoy snow. :)

AI Inc
09-29-2008, 05:48 AM
Mike, I'm salivating at that pic. I can't tell you guys how much I enjoy snow. :)

You should try traveling across it at around 95mph some time. Whole different type of enjoyment.

DanaMac
09-29-2008, 07:29 AM
You should try traveling across it at around 95mph some time. Whole different type of enjoyment.

I'd rather hit it with my board. No engine noise. No exhaust smell.

But I would like to try it sometime.

AI Inc
09-29-2008, 07:30 AM
One of the nicest parts about it is you can get into backcountry like no other way. A horse in summer comes close to what you can see , but cant cross lakes.

Bentrack
09-29-2008, 11:21 PM
After blowing out the system's water lines, do you only blow out the hydraulic mainlines? Seems like it would be difficult to clear the small hydraulic lines of water between the hydraulic boards and the valves in Toro 640 heads.

Wet_Boots
09-30-2008, 07:55 AM
After blowing out the system's water lines, do you only blow out the hydraulic mainlines? Seems like it would be difficult to clear the small hydraulic lines of water between the hydraulic boards and the valves in Toro 640 heads.Since when does a N.O. valve-in-head have an exit port for water to be expelled from?

greenmonster304
09-30-2008, 04:32 PM
a few fogging pics for you guys

Mike Leary
09-30-2008, 07:00 PM
Try this....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Highways

Bentrack
09-30-2008, 07:28 PM
The N.O. Solonoid valves are located on a panel in a large valve box for each field. The heads are hydraulic Toro 640's. I can blow out the line that feeds hydraulic pressure to all of the solonoid boards, but not sure if I should (or even can/should) blow out the water from the solonoids to the heads.

Bentrack
09-30-2008, 07:29 PM
I mean solenoid, nice spelling.

Mike Leary
09-30-2008, 07:44 PM
Try this....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Highways

Meant for Fimco, great book for the rest of you, too.

Wet_Boots
09-30-2008, 07:57 PM
The N.O. Solonoid valves are located on a panel in a large valve box for each field. The heads are hydraulic Toro 640's. I can blow out the line that feeds hydraulic pressure to all of the solonoid boards, but not sure if I should (or even can/should) blow out the water from the solonoids to the heads.Care to clue us in on how you would go about this?

Mike Leary
09-30-2008, 08:14 PM
Care to clue us in on how you would go about this?

And why?:dizzy:

Wet_Boots
09-30-2008, 08:23 PM
The theoretical why is simple - allow no water to remain anywhere outdoors in the system over the winter. The HOW is what I want to hear about.

Mike Leary
09-30-2008, 08:36 PM
The theoretical why is simple - allow no water to remain anywhere outdoors in the system over the winter. The HOW is what I want to hear about. In the two systems I maintained,pipes were buried so deep and run into a heated room as to make it moot to even think of winterize.

bicmudpuppy
09-30-2008, 11:30 PM
The theoretical why is simple - allow no water to remain anywhere outdoors in the system over the winter. The HOW is what I want to hear about.

The hydraulic line is simply porting off the top of the solenoid.............It is a time consuming process, not an impossible one. Your going to have to have enough CFM to keep the valve open until the hydraulic line is porting air and no water. I've done a few hydraulic systems that were normally closed instead of normally open and done this. It takes forever, but it can be done.

Wet_Boots
10-01-2008, 07:12 AM
The hydraulic line is simply porting off the top of the solenoid.............It is a time consuming process, not an impossible one. Your going to have to have enough CFM to keep the valve open until the hydraulic line is porting air and no water. I've done a few hydraulic systems that were normally closed instead of normally open and done this. It takes forever, but it can be done.No no no no no no no no no.......

You guys don't get it. Normally open valve-in-heads are dead ends. There is no exit pathway for winterizing air. Same thing with the Toro 'bullet' N.O. valves. At no time is there ever any connection between control water and sprinkling water in the valve.

Now, take a manifold of more conventional 250 series N.O. hydraulic valves, and you have a bleed screw that can allow you to clear a control line.

Flow Control
10-02-2008, 08:35 AM
Have to love Mother Nature, last year we did not start getting any winterization calls until the 2nd week of October. This year they started to trickle in the past two weeks here and there and now are starting to come in at a steady rate. Granted a slow rate (5 or so day) but I'll take it.

Bentrack
10-02-2008, 11:18 AM
I agree, the individual hydraulic from the solenoid to the zone is a dead end. The only way to blow out the system and still have control of the zones is to leave the hydraulic side alone until the irrigation mainlines and zones are complete.

Tom Tom
10-07-2008, 09:46 PM
Wishing all resi sprinkler setups were like this one..........

DanaMac
10-08-2008, 06:40 AM
Just maybe with a better controller. :)

I have a handful that are built with that same shut off handle. Love those systems.

AI Inc
10-08-2008, 06:54 AM
Thing I dont like about them is " where the key" , but I have used a 1/4 socket stuck in backwards and turned with channel locks.

DanaMac
10-08-2008, 07:09 AM
Thing I dont like about them is " where the key" , but I have used a 1/4 socket stuck in backwards and turned with channel locks.

Good trick. I'll let my guys know when they call me and say it's missing :)

Dripit good
10-08-2008, 07:25 AM
Wishing all resi sprinkler setups were like this one..........

Doesn't get much better than that! :clapping:

AI Inc
10-08-2008, 07:27 AM
That right next to the driveway.

Waterit
10-08-2008, 08:49 AM

You can also use a 3/8 12-point socket.

Mike Leary
10-08-2008, 11:20 PM
End of season irrigation festival up north.

AI Inc
10-09-2008, 05:42 AM
Northen lights , gotta love it.

DanaMac
10-09-2008, 07:15 AM

Funniest thing lately. We talked about this yesterday morning, and then what? I show up to one and CAN"T FIND THE FRIGGING KEY! On the same day we talked about it. And of course no socket either. Oh well. We'll be by there next week. Shut off at ball valve and blew out for now. What a piker I am. :rolleyes:

AI Inc
10-09-2008, 07:39 AM

I didnt use the latin name because the spelling would have made Mr Leary come unglued.

DanaMac
10-09-2008, 08:44 AM
One of my guys showed up yesterday to shut down and blow out the system. Lo-and-behold! What's missing? PVB and copper was stolen. First ball valve was shut off and left in place. Everything else was gone. Apparently this is the 2nd time it's happened. We took it over this summer. We'll look at replacing and adding a cage this winter. We have one other we are going to do the same with this winter.

I'm already getting a good list of winter work. Replace PVB and add cages, install proper BFV, upgrade controller, move RP to basement, install an master valve and freeze sensor, etc.

AI Inc
10-09-2008, 08:52 AM
Why rp to basement? It needs to dump, will you put a funnel catchment and drain?

DanaMac
10-09-2008, 09:02 AM
Why rp to basement? It needs to dump, will you put a funnel catchment and drain?

Yes a catchment underneath. we have about 15-20 that are set up this way. then an isolation ball valve, and tee with threads outside for our hook up. they have an RP and PVB at this house. PVB doesn't meet codes where it is at. And they have had freeze damage a couple times.

AI Inc
10-09-2008, 09:11 AM
I hate RP,s , installed one the other day, was junk out of the box. When I hit the supply house to get a DCVA I gave them back 3 that were in the truck. No more for me.
DCVA dosnt pass code around here , but the few that do inspect dont know the differance.

Wet_Boots
10-09-2008, 09:57 AM
What make/model of RP? What's your static pressure?

RI OHIO
10-09-2008, 01:09 PM
RP's are like dating a Diva, you just need to know how to treat them:) You can treat them right and they might dump on you anyway

AI Inc
10-09-2008, 01:15 PM
What make/model of RP? What's your static pressure?

Was a watts 1" , whats that an 825y? Pressure was at 58 psi. Yanked it , put in a DCVA and it ran 4 heads on a zone real sweet. ( 4 head zones are pretty typical around here)

RI OHIO
10-09-2008, 01:19 PM
Was the static reading upstream or downstream of the RP?

Wet_Boots
10-09-2008, 01:27 PM
Was a watts 1" , whats that an 825y? Pressure was at 58 psi. Yanked it , put in a DCVA and it ran 4 heads on a zone real sweet. ( 4 head zones are pretty typical around here)825Y is a Febco model number. If it's just the pressure loss on systems with low static pressures, you just have to adjust your design techniques. I'm not sure I'd choose a Watts 009 on low static pressures, but that might be my own personal opinion, after the first one I installed on really low pressure (PRV upstream) leaked from the relief.

AI Inc
10-09-2008, 01:34 PM
This thing was dumping with the discharge side ball vall shut . Kid at supply house thought it was just faulty.As I said , most around here are not inspected and the ones that are , are inspected by someone that doesnt know the differance.
Watts 800 sound correct? Its still in my truck I can look , if it matters.

Wet_Boots
10-09-2008, 01:57 PM
Watts bought Febco, but I thought the model numbers hadn't changed. Watts' RPZs should have a '9' in the model number.

AI Inc
10-09-2008, 02:09 PM
009 , I never had problems when they were American made. Last 4 yrs , these things have sucked. Only reason I put it in is it would have been some real funky plumbing to put a pvb as there was a lot of electrical in the area.But the biggest reason I used it was it was what was in the truck and being the end of the season , well , you know how this story ends.

Wet_Boots
10-09-2008, 02:26 PM
Too bad they didn't lower the price once they made them in China. There's always Wilkins, if you want US-made.

Mike Leary
10-09-2008, 02:26 PM

If you have trouble with "northern", how you gonna do "Aurora Borealis"? :hammerhead:

AI Inc
10-09-2008, 02:52 PM
Sweet pic, keep em coming .

Mike Leary
10-09-2008, 03:26 PM
Sweet pic, keep em coming .

Here's one of the boys burning the B.C. bud shake to keep warm.

Mike Leary
10-09-2008, 06:17 PM
Temp around -35.

DanaMac
10-09-2008, 09:15 PM
Watts bought Febco, but I thought the model numbers hadn't changed. Watts' RPZs should have a '9' in the model number.

Watts and Wilkins RPs are horrible in my opinion. Difficult to work on, and they seem to dump more often than the Febco. One thing I see on EVERY Febco/Watts RP, PVB, or just the ball valve itself, is that the packing nut behind the handles need to be tightened. Every single one leaks when I install a new BFV, or replace a cracked ball valve.

Waterit
10-09-2008, 09:43 PM
One thing I see on EVERY Febco/Watts RP, PVB, or just the ball valve itself, is that the packing nut behind the handles need to be tightened. Every single one leaks when I install a new BFV, or replace a cracked ball valve.

I complained to Ewing of the same thing, was told it was my imagination. Good to see someone having the same halluciantion!

Tom Tom
10-09-2008, 09:47 PM
. One thing I see on EVERY Febco/Watts RP, PVB, or just the ball valve itself, is that the packing nut behind the handles need to be tightened. Every single one leaks when I install a new BFV, or replace a cracked ball valve.

yup, every single one........

Wet_Boots
10-09-2008, 09:58 PM
I've used some of the Watts 009 (3/4-inch) without disaster, but I'm winterizing them, and they never see freezing water. I'd like them to be reliable, since they can be winterized without any need to dismantle anything.

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-09-2008, 10:09 PM
those pictures are amazing mike...

but bc bud is for n00bs

Mike Leary
10-09-2008, 10:53 PM
but bc bud is for n00bs

I agree, last time I had any I saw this:

AI Inc
10-10-2008, 05:53 AM
I complained to Ewing of the same thing, was told it was my imagination. Good to see someone having the same halluciantion!

Get pretty old after a while.and not your imagination.

Waterit
10-10-2008, 08:56 AM
Can't believe I misspelled "hallucination" and didn't get spanked by the Spelling Nazi:)

Wet_Boots
10-10-2008, 09:03 AM
Did you guys ever get a 'skinny' packing-nut wrench for those drippy ball valves?

AI Inc
10-10-2008, 09:14 AM
I just yank the handle off, but the skinny would save time. May spend that saved time looking for the skinny thou.

DanaMac
10-10-2008, 09:22 AM
Did you guys ever get a 'skinny' packing-nut wrench for those drippy ball valves?

No. I should look for one though.

AI Inc
10-10-2008, 10:24 AM
No. I should look for one though.

A snowmobile or motercycle shop usualy will have skinnys. May have to buy a whole tool kit . 2 skinnys a plug wrench and a 4 way screwdriver. $12 or so.

Wet_Boots
10-10-2008, 11:02 AM
There is a cheapo stamped-steel skinny with multiple openings, and I misplaced it a while ago.

AI Inc
10-10-2008, 11:04 AM
Anyone ever use Conbraco? Are they American made?

Wet_Boots
10-10-2008, 11:26 AM
Conbraco is American-made. You'll recognize their PVB as the old Watts/Rainbird design. (they bought the tooling from Watts) - I haven't tried their backflow preventers. I think the RPZ has testcocks placed so you can drain the thing without dismantling it.

AI Inc
10-10-2008, 11:33 AM
If the price is competative I would much rather install American mae product when possible. I am going to look into them over the winter. Easy to rebuild the pbv,s?

Mike Leary
10-10-2008, 01:13 PM
competative American mae product

Conbraco makes a nice brass dunce cap.

AI Inc
10-10-2008, 01:20 PM
Now how would you know that?

Mike Leary
10-10-2008, 01:37 PM
You get one free when you buy a Conbraco DCVA at the big box store.

Tom Tom
10-10-2008, 09:01 PM

Thats the final resting place for all Double checks :laugh:

Wet_Boots
10-10-2008, 10:44 PM
The old Watts PVB design was built like a tank. Brass bonnet, stainless-steel cover. Never did have to fiddle with the check valve part.

DanaMac
10-11-2008, 12:59 AM
The old Watts PVB design was built like a tank. Brass bonnet, stainless-steel cover. Never did have to fiddle with the check valve part.

But when it freezes, the bonnet tears apart the threads in the body. As opposed to just cracking the plastic bonnet of a Febco.

Wet_Boots
10-11-2008, 08:35 AM
I'm not sure one should prefer a more fragile PVB based on what happens when water is allowed to freeze inside. East coast doesn't have the kinds of temperature swings that you'll see near the Rockies, so shutdowns and openings are a little more orderly.

DanaMac
10-11-2008, 08:41 AM
Oh the joys of craigslist

$25 up to four zones, more than 4 zones $30

Gotta love it. Work twice as hard buddy.

DanaMac
10-11-2008, 08:46 AM
I'm not sure one should prefer a more fragile PVB based on what happens when water is allowed to freeze inside. East coast doesn't have the kinds of temperature swings that you'll see near the Rockies, so shutdowns and openings are a little more orderly.

Very scary for me here when the first freeze is predicted. Today or tomorrow in fact. Then back to the high 60s or 70s late in the week. Yes we have more sever temp swings here. We had a blizzard that shut down the city Oct 15 2007. No way blow outs were all done by that time. Good thing that was the year I was trying to get out of irrigation. :)

Wet_Boots
10-11-2008, 09:38 AM
And yet, here you are. No escape, eh?

Mike Leary
10-11-2008, 09:42 AM
Freezing here this morning, we have not done winterize one, but expected to heat up
next week.

DanaMac
10-11-2008, 09:42 AM
And yet, here you are. No escape, eh?

No escape. I was dragged back in kicking and screaming.

I got out end of '96 due to joint problems - knuckles and wrists were killing me. After not making any money in '97, I got back into irrigation, and did it the way I wanted. Mostly service, limited installs. Installing poly systems was beating up my hands. Still have problems. Just not as severe.

DanaMac
10-11-2008, 09:43 AM
Freezing here this morning, we have not done winterize one, but expected to heat up
next week.

Right about freezing here right now. Going to do about 6-8 today. Phone will be a mess on Monday again. 80+ calls last Monday :dizzy:

bicmudpuppy
10-11-2008, 09:49 AM

I've never seen a conbraco actually for sale outside of the upper scale plumbing parts house, but the few systems I used to maintain that had conbraco DCVA were easy to maintain and repair. I LIKE the in-line vs offset Ychecks. Install it test ports "up", and you can open the checks and drain them manually to the side just like the old 805Y's. The trend away from Y-checks saddens me.

Wet_Boots
10-11-2008, 10:02 AM
I've never seen a conbraco actually for sale outside of the upper scale plumbing parts house, but the few systems I used to maintain that had conbraco DCVA were easy to maintain and repair. I LIKE the in-line vs offset Ychecks. Install it test ports "up", and you can open the checks and drain them manually to the side just like the old 805Y's. The trend away from Y-checks saddens me.I think it was inline construction before the Y-patterns became popular. Remember the U-pattern Toro DCVA? I do like the upward-oriented Y-checks.

Mike Leary
10-11-2008, 11:20 AM
I The trend away from Y-checks saddens me.

Ditto, the newer ones have little dinky checks, so I would not be surprised that
the friction loss would be higher.

Wet_Boots
10-11-2008, 11:46 AM
I'll bet some of the 3/4-inch BP's have slightly higher losses, especially compared to the older ones that have the same body casting as a one-inch BP.

Tom Tom
10-11-2008, 05:18 PM

Have seen that one too.

I saw this setup today-

DanaMac
10-11-2008, 05:24 PM
Have seen that one too.

I saw this setup today-

Beauty. I saw a guy today with some compressor on a makeshift platform and wheels. Little dinky pancake compressor. Not sure if it was homeowner or "contractor".

Mike Leary
10-11-2008, 05:26 PM
[QUOTE=Tom Tom;2551208 I saw this setup today-[/QUOTE]

Nothing like a three hour winterize for 35 bucks. :dizzy:

DanaMac
10-11-2008, 06:27 PM

Just found another local on craigslist. WTF!!!

Its that time of year again. Get your early bird specials now..
1-4 Zones $20
5-7 zones $25
7 + zones Call for pricing.

Mike Leary
10-11-2008, 06:42 PM
Where is the market, southern Arizona?

DanaMac
10-11-2008, 06:52 PM
Where is the market, southern Arizona?

Good old C. Springs.

arizona? Sheesh. :rolleyes:

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-11-2008, 07:08 PM

1-4 Zones $20
5-7 zones $25

for 20 bucks ill let the H/O look @ the compressor

06f150
10-11-2008, 07:30 PM
There are a ton of postings around here too......

$7.00/ZONE SPRINKLER BLOWOUT
Reply now to schedule your blowout. Openings available October 20th - 22nd.

Sprinkler winterization/blowouts $45.00

Looks like most of them are H/O trying to make a cheap buck.......:hammerhead:

CAPT Stream Rotar
10-11-2008, 07:36 PM
we are 12 up here, and thats cheap

Tom Tom
10-11-2008, 07:38 PM

1-4 Zones $20
5-7 zones $25

i just called that guy. his voicemail box is full

DanaMac
10-11-2008, 07:55 PM
i just called that guy. his voicemail box is full

He can work three times as hard, and still not make the money we do. And is he going to be around in the spring to fix his screw ups? heck no. Let him take all the tire kickers.

Mike Leary
10-11-2008, 08:19 PM
He can work three times as hard, and still not make the money we do. And is he going to be around in the spring to fix his screw ups? heck no. Let him take all the tire kickers.

Is Tony back in business?

DanaMac
10-11-2008, 09:17 PM
Is Tony back in business?

Bingo!! I shoulda known..............

Flow Control
10-12-2008, 07:55 AM
Yesterday was our first day of all out shut downs. I learned that I am getting older and can't do everything at the same pace anymore.

I had scheduled 26 for myself and the other two guys had 29 combined but they were spread out a little.

Anyway I did not complete my list, came 3 shy when it got too dark. I turn 33 on Monday and still try to act like I am 23. Oh well next time I am going to take advil for lunch.

Anyway, yesterday stats: 23 completed, 49 total miles, 10.5hrs, filled up with gas, no lunch

DanaMac
10-12-2008, 08:53 AM
Yesterday was our first day of all out shut downs. I learned that I am getting older and can't do everything at the same pace anymore.

I had scheduled 26 for myself and the other two guys had 29 combined but they were spread out a little.

Anyway I did not complete my list, came 3 shy when it got too dark. I turn 33 on Monday and still try to act like I am 23. Oh well next time I am going to take advil for lunch.

Anyway, yesterday stats: 23 completed, 49 total miles, 10.5hrs, filled up with gas, no lunch

Don't see how you could've done that many with 49 miles of driving. Unless it was 15-20 to the first, and 15-20 back home again. But hey, way to think big! My record was 30, back when I was about 25-28 years old. Very long day, All EXTREMELY close. Never came close again. Don't want too. Just as you mentioned, I'm getting old too. Plus I have all the calls to return at the end of the day.

Oh, and lunch? What's that?

Waterit
10-12-2008, 10:03 AM
I learned that I am getting older and can't do everything at the same pace anymore.

I turn 33 on Monday and still try to act like I am 23.

If 33 is old Leary must be ancient. I turned 51 this past summer and can still put 23 yr. old guys to shame.

Wet_Boots
10-12-2008, 10:25 AM
Better living through chemistry :eek:

Mike Leary
10-12-2008, 10:30 AM
Hey, I can still bench press a trenching shovel. :weightlifter:

Flow Control
10-12-2008, 04:51 PM
Here is pics of two of our set-ups, will post another pic of our third truck once the tech emails them to me. I adjusted the height on the small compressor this am, so that it is level.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii285/SenorBob08/HPIM0099.jpg

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii285/SenorBob08/HPIM0098.jpg

ARGOS
10-12-2008, 07:11 PM
I drive a sprinter and love it.

Don't do blow outs though.

Don't eat lunch much either...why does my belly keep growing?

Flow Control
10-12-2008, 07:17 PM
I am a fan of the sprinter too. Last friday I drove 375miles and got 23.9mpg. Fuel cost was $68. Can't beat it. I drove 2hrs to our "other" market to drop off stuff for advertising then drove a hour west for a $500 backflow test (1" rp) then tailed it 3hrs back home.

Wet_Boots
10-12-2008, 07:34 PM
$500 for a backflow test? Sweet.

Flow Control
10-12-2008, 07:45 PM
Yep, figured that was the price that made it worth my time. I guess they called a number of companies and I was the only one that they could get on the phone. The call came from Arkansas for a location at one of there stores in BFE. The work order stated: Anything over $750 needed to be approved. So I figured that $500 for a 6hr round trip plus test was the minimum I would do it for. I just happened to schedule it on a day that was somewhat near the location.

bicmudpuppy
10-13-2008, 09:03 AM
I drive a sprinter and love it.

Don't do blow outs though.

Don't eat lunch much either...why does my belly keep growing?

Would you believe it is because we DON'T eat lunch? Read all those fad diets out there (and the few good ones too) and they all have the same thing in common.............5+ meals / day. All small meals, but the trick is to EAT. I'm a big guy. It has gotten out of control since I broke the 35 mark. With the new gig back into golf courses, lunch is expected to be taken. I still "work through" lunch sometimes, but I still stop and get my "free" meal at the grill. I've lost over 40 pounds since getting here the first of July, and I'm not on a diet of any kind (well, except maybe that see food diet).

19 degrees this morning. Ground is warm and the water ran anyway (predicted low was 31, give the weather guy another cigar). I don't have any idea what time we will get out on the course!

DanaMac
10-13-2008, 09:27 AM
19 degrees this morning. Ground is warm and the water ran anyway (predicted low was 31, give the weather guy another cigar). I don't have any idea what time we will get out on the course!

My dogs' outside water dishes had about 1/4" -1/2" of ice. That's usually my indicator that it got cold. :) At least I'm in the office until 11:00. I'm sure the phone will be off the hook this morning.

Tom Tom
10-13-2008, 10:04 AM
Low of 34 degrees at my place

bicmudpuppy
10-13-2008, 12:56 PM
I don't have a good temp gauge here, but the local weather bug station is at the HS less than 5 miles and 300' elevation away :)

Listed low was 17 degrees, but we are already up to 48. I do love the desert :)

Flow Control
10-13-2008, 01:29 PM
Anyone going to Vegas in December for the rainbird stuff?

Think I am going to go and take some classes on two wire

Waterit
10-13-2008, 02:45 PM
Low in the mid-60's, high today about 82. And humid as ...

WalkGood
10-13-2008, 05:37 PM
Yep, figured that was the price that made it worth my time. I guess they called a number of companies and I was the only one that they could get on the phone. The call came from Arkansas for a location at one of there stores in BFE. The work order stated: Anything over $750 needed to be approved. So I figured that $500 for a 6hr round trip plus test was the minimum I would do it for. I just happened to schedule it on a day that was somewhat near the location.

Wondering if you left $249 on the table and walked away from it?

BSME
10-13-2008, 10:18 PM
Anyone going to Vegas in December for the rainbird stuff?

Think I am going to go and take some classes on two wire

How serious you thinking?

I can probably swing it if you go. I'll be ready to take step 3 of the CID (doing step 2 in Anaheim at the IA show if anyone is going to that) and they are offering it there on the 12th. I may as well show up a few days early and take some rainbird classes.

DanaMac
10-14-2008, 07:46 PM
I'm getting tons of tire kickers calling about price. Those I leave messages with rarely call back. Those that I speak with, maybe 25% say yes. Too many low price pikers out there.

DanaMac
10-14-2008, 09:03 PM
Now this is some funny stuff right here!!! Probably posted by Tom Tom!! :laugh::laugh:

http://cosprings.craigslist.org/hss/878172968.html

Waterit
10-14-2008, 10:10 PM
Now this is some funny stuff right here!!! Probably posted by Tom Tom!! :laugh::laugh:

http://cosprings.craigslist.org/hss/878172968.html

You gotta love with a guy with a sick sense of humor - I especially like the part about standing guard:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Mike Leary
10-14-2008, 10:12 PM
Like I said, Tony's back.

ARGOS
10-15-2008, 08:55 AM
I had a history teacher that could have done it.

BSME
10-15-2008, 05:55 PM
I'm sending him an email asking if he can give a discount if I line up some of my neighbors

DanaMac
10-17-2008, 08:56 AM
I went to my tech's house last night to give him his paycheck, and in his neighborhood there were two signs side-by-side.
One says "Sprinkler Winterizing $35"
The other says "Blow Blow Blow Sprinklers $30"
I want to put up a sign that says "we fix $30-$35 blow outs"

Waterit
10-17-2008, 09:00 AM
I went to my tech's house last night to give him his paycheck, and in his neighborhood there were two signs side-by-side.
One says "Sprinkler Winterizing $35"
The other says "Blow Blow Blow Sprinklers $30"
I want to put up a sign that says "we fix $30-$35 blow outs"

"We fix what the low-ballers break"

DanaMac
10-17-2008, 09:05 AM
Changed mind - starting new thread

DanaMac
10-17-2008, 09:11 AM
Chanded mind - starting new thread