PDA

View Full Version : Install Sod in GA in August?? When shoud I and shouldn't I install sod here...??

andyslawncare
08-18-2008, 09:01 PM
Have a few clients with pending sod installation jobs... I'm new to the whole landscape installation thing (been doing mainly mowing etc...)

Please help!

Thank You

81Bronk36
08-18-2008, 09:42 PM
From what I understand you will be ok in Aug and Sod. Your lucky I have to seed Bermuda sometime in september! Thats gonna be pushing it!

ed2hess
08-18-2008, 10:05 PM
I wouldn't install in August unless they have irrigation....it will need to be watered constantly for a couple weeks. Most cities have restrictions.

dura to the max
08-18-2008, 10:08 PM
i agree to both posts. i too install sod in august, but it does need constant water. so you'll be ok, but i wouldnt warrant the sod itself, only the workmanship.

kleankutslawn
08-18-2008, 10:14 PM
in most areas,water restrictions don't apply to new sod installations

dura to the max
08-18-2008, 10:17 PM

you sure about this? i havent heard of this exception. would be a great thing to tell customers. what about lawn renovations?

billslawn89
08-18-2008, 10:33 PM

right! here in florida, with new installs, or newly planted lawns/landscapes, you can water daily for up to 60 days, but before 8am and after 6pm, at least in my area.

Tadams
08-18-2008, 10:48 PM
What kind of sod are you putting down? You can put bermuda anytime of the year- even if it is dormant.

cgaengineer
08-19-2008, 08:18 AM
I did bermuda sod in September last year and it did fine. As long as you can water it you should be ok too. I had to truck in water as we were in severe drought then last year.

brucec32
08-27-2008, 08:20 PM
Gotta put it down sometime! I've seen winter installs but I wouldn't say they always do fine. Some do, but there is a high percentage of the them with dead areas and redos are common. So factor that in. My inlaws in fact had their back yard redone at the landscaper's expense just this spring due to a section of it just not living after it was installed in late fall on a new home as an upgrade to the existing wheatstraw and dirt back lawn.

Soil prep quality has a lot to do with that.

I also seem to note more soil shrinkage and gaps in the sod with winter installs. It may be eroding away the soil at the gaps over winter where if it had filled in immediately like in summer that wouldn't happen as much.

Be sure to point out that the lawn might need topdressing to look its best next spring/summer.

Be sure to check your local water restrictions for what is what. They vary widely from system to system. For example, I can use an irrigation system 3 days a week before 10am but my customers cannot in the next county. They must "hand water" for 15 min or less. I'm sure new-installs are ok'd in most areas this year, but check to be sure.

You will have more problems in a drought than otherwise. Unless there is an irrigation system I would be wary of warranting the sod install on a first try in a drought. Some folks will mist the lawn 3x/week and think they watered it. And face it, people are lazy. But Bermuda is generally tough and if it's hot and gets some water, I think now's a good enough time.

Of course this week would be a great time to get the install in, as mother nature is taking care of water.