PDA

View Full Version : strange requests via my website

irrig8r
08-19-2008, 03:16 AM
Received this email today:

Hello Owner,
My name is xxxxx xxxxx and I am sending you an email regarding of of some order of sprinklers and i will like to know if you do carry the Sprinkler 100mm Side Strip 4.5 x 1.5mtrs Radius' PSO4SS sprinklers and please can i know the price for each ? and also what types of credit card do you accept? I will be waiting to read from you asap

Regards...........

I have gotten odd requests before, like bidding on a big ag irrigation project in India.

I'm just wondering if the above was a legitimate but clueless request (I don't sell anything online) or some kind of elaborately researched attempt at a credit card scam....has the sort of stilted English of a Nigerian letter... anyone else happen to get one of these? (name x'd out but didn't match the Yahoo email either)...

Dirty Water
08-19-2008, 03:41 AM
Just ignore it.

I get all sorts of crazy stuff submitted to forms on my websites from overseas.

bicmudpuppy
08-19-2008, 08:06 AM
And Danna thought I was paranoid.........................
Armadillo helmets anyone??

DanaMac
08-19-2008, 09:53 AM
And Danna thought I was paranoid.........................
Armadillo helmets anyone??

Uhhh... now I am paranoid. I received the EXACT same email this morning. I replied saying we are not a retail shop. Hmmmm.....

Kiril
08-19-2008, 10:41 AM
Any links in the email?

DanaMac
08-19-2008, 10:43 AM
Any links in the email?

Nope. probably a phishing scam.

irrig8r
08-19-2008, 10:55 AM
Nope. probably a phishing scam.

Yeah....maybe they'll order a few thousand dollars worth of sprinkler parts with a stolen credit card.... :nono:

irrig8r
08-19-2008, 11:02 AM
Uhhh... now I am paranoid. I received the EXACT same email this morning. I replied saying we are not a retail shop. Hmmmm.....

I decided maybe it was better not to reply.

It was a yahoo return email address with a womans name and the number 57. I looked it up (via profiles/yahoo.com) And there was no profile name or any info given, but the email address name didn't match the name given in the email.

Was yours the similar?

No links. It was in my SPAM folder, but I thought I'd check, since there were no obvious attachments.

DanaMac
08-19-2008, 11:09 AM
I decided maybe it was better not to reply.

It was a yahoo return email address with a womans name and the number 57. I looked it up (via profiles/yahoo.com) And there was no profile name or any info given, but the email address name didn't match the name given in the email.

Was yours the similar?

No links. It was in my SPAM folder, but I thought I'd check, since there were no obvious attachments.

I didn't think it was anything weird until you mentioned it. So I had replied to her/him. I get a few calls and emails from people looking to buy parts, so it didn't seem too out of the ordinary. And yes it was a woman's name. Name within the email was different than what was in the name listing in the title. Yes on the #57. Same thing.

gusbuster
08-19-2008, 04:57 PM
Greg,

Something similar to you, but mine is from referral by valley yellow pages. Apparently, I'm the only one with a valid web site(may be fixed by now), so if you do a search for irrigation parts(i'm listed for repairs), get my web site and local phone number.

Always get request if the dummies would just look at O.S.H. or other big box stores they could get the part. Then when you tell them that Horizon, Ewing or JDL would be there best bet, always the the HUH.

DanaMac
09-23-2008, 05:44 PM
I just got another one today

Hello,
My name is Mary Jay and am writing to you regarding an Order of some Sprinklers.I will like you to get back to me with the price on the Sprinklers you do have on sale right now or do manufacture in your inventory.And also let me know the type of Credit card you do take as payment so that we can proceed ....
Your earliest reply back to me will be appreciated

Thank you
Mary Jay

Wet_Boots
09-23-2008, 05:49 PM
Did she include naked pictures? :p

Mike Leary
09-23-2008, 06:19 PM

Hello,
My name is Mary Jay and.I will like you .
Your earliest reply bk to me will be appreciated
Thank you
Mary Jay

Dana does good.

DanaMac
09-23-2008, 06:27 PM
What's the big deal?

Did you not read the entire thread? It's some kind of scam.

Mike Leary
09-23-2008, 06:29 PM
Don't get the rest of us sucked in.

Waterit
09-23-2008, 08:27 PM

Hello,
My name is Mary Jay and am writing to you regarding an Order of some Sprinklers.I will like you to get back to me with the price on the Sprinklers you do have on sale right now or do manufacture in your inventory.And also let me know the type of Credit card you do take as payment so that we can proceed ....
Your earliest reply back to me will be appreciated

Thank you
Mary Jay

Send her a reply with Orbit and Toro as featured parts - she'll go pick on someone else:laugh:

DanaMac
09-23-2008, 08:32 PM
Send her a reply with Orbit and Toro as featured parts - she'll go pick on someone else:laugh:

I replied the last time, unfortunately. We think they are a phishing scam, trying to get credit card account info. Or something to that effect.

irrig8r
09-24-2008, 12:01 AM
I'm feeling left out.

Wet_Boots
09-24-2008, 12:20 AM
When I get one of these, I run a reply through babelfish, back and forth, with three or four languages, until it comes back in Engrish.

Waterit
09-24-2008, 01:43 AM
I'm feeling left out.

Need me to send you a phishmail?:)

Saw your post about acts you've caught live on another thread - I came up in the same era, have many of the same influences, will have to sit down and tote up who-all I've enjoyed live...

duwaprod
09-25-2008, 11:55 AM
I replied the last time, unfortunately. We think they are a phishing scam, trying to get credit card account info. Or something to that effect.

Asking for information on sprinkler parts is awfully specific for a phishing scam. More likely just a misdirected consumer. We get requests for pricing on wire and parts we don't sell all the time. We just politely tell them we don't sell that and they go away. Until we got smart and cloaked the e-mails on our websites we got put on spam lists and as a result we get dozens of scam e-mails a day to my personal and our business e-mail addresses. The worst situation is one of our domains is currently being used as a return address for a phishing e-mail. This is generating 2-3000 bounced e-mail responses a *day* coming into our e-mail system. Our ISP is powerless to stop it so it has cost us money (and hopefully not any business) to screen out this junk. I'd like a few minutes alone with the guy that is doing this to us ...

--Don