PDA

View Full Version : Poodles really suck!!!

LAWNS AND MOWER
01-25-2002, 04:00 PM
This customer of mine got a toy size poodle last year. I don't care for poodles in the first place and this poodle confirmed my dislike. Get through mowing and go knock on door. This obnoxious mutt comes charging at me when the lady opens the door. The mutt then proceeds to bite me about 2 inches from my family jewels on my leg. Didn't break the skin but left a good bruise. Lady responds "I don't think Lucky likes you" No kidding.Told her I couldn't be responsible if "Lucky" gets hurt while I'm working on her account and the dog is outside. Next week, I finished mowing the back yard and there's no sign of Lucky. Come back to weedeat the backyard and SAS here comes Lucky charging at me. Good thing my weedeater was on. Luckys nose wasn't that lucky that day thanks to my weedeater. I always have a fresh supply of dog treats on hand to bribe all the dogs I come in contact with. Works well except I believe it would be useless with Lucky. The battle lines have been drawn. Anyboby else have problems with unfriendly K-9's???

LAWNS AND MOWER

bubble boy
01-25-2002, 04:15 PM
we've got a customer with a rottie, but he is friendly-too friendly. wont leave us alone-jumping up, licking, wants to play.

easy solution though-as soon as we turn any equipment on he takes off. pretty funny to see a 160 pound dog afraid of a blower!!

Bob Minney
01-25-2002, 04:54 PM
How many of you guys out there would really work on a lawn with a loose dog? I see it as a danger to me and the dog. Do you want that kind of distraction while you're running power equipment? With all that flying debis to get hit by, or a curious dog getting his nose in the trimmer, or getting scarred and running into the street, or away, etc. If I hurt an animal I'd feel terrible regardless of liking him. Safety includes yourself, the customer and bystanders, pets included. My agreement states-no loose pets while I am working. I'm not picking on anyone, but I see it as a tragedy waiting to happen.

mowerman90
01-25-2002, 06:23 PM
Given my feelings on Poodles, I say that "Lucky" wouldn't be too lucky if he ever ventured into the yard while I was mowing. That 52" mulching deck on my new Husky ZTR would definately mulch his furry little ass into the turf.

LAWNGODFATHER
01-25-2002, 06:27 PM
It sounds like Lucky doesn't want any treats, but want those family jewels for a treat.

We do very few with the dogs out.

Keep treats on hand at all times.

The customers all know if they get hurt, I/we are not responsable.

Most bring em in for us to mow.

thartz
01-25-2002, 06:47 PM
I think the worst part of one of my accounts is a Lab retriever because he is not afraid of ANY of our equipment. He also likes to place his ball right in front of the path of the mower trying to stop us so we will play with him so we have to be EXTREMELY careful.

geogunn
01-26-2002, 12:01 AM
hey L&G! I am suprised that you former statesmen put up with a squirell dog like that!

I'da thought youd have just poped his neck around a tree and skint hin out when you got home.

at least that's what we heard you'all did over there!

GEO

ohiolawnguy
01-26-2002, 12:30 AM
Most customers dogs run away once the equipment gets fired up. so i dont worr too much about them. However, We always make kids go inside when we show up. about 7 years ago, an 8 year old girl was killed in cleveland from a stick that flew out of a mower chute.

I dont considerer it our resposibility since the customers are told not to let anyone play our piddle around the yard while we are there. But I still feel its better safe than sorry.

Currier
01-26-2002, 01:56 AM
Right ...customers may "know you are not responsible" UNTIL you need to remove the left nostril with your trimmer:). I had one dog that went after me for moving one of its dog toys away from my mower. I was always a nervous wreck wondering about that lawn.
I still have one that is a crapshoot: Is Lobo locked up or not? we jiggle gates and make noise but that dog will wait till we get into the back to come attacking. Actually I think he is a big chicken (but so am I...)
I just really don't want to find out what happens when I have to hurt or kill a customers dog!

David Haggerty
01-26-2002, 06:57 AM
An apartment complex where I mow has a Rotweiller who thinks I'm not allowed near the patio. I show a little respect even though she's on a chain.
This same complex has a little shitzu that runs loose. He's not afraid of anything, and he won't get out of the way of even the big mowers.
One day the rotweiller must have been in heat, because that little shitzu was trying to breed her. He wasn't having much luck though. I went and told the owners anyway. The owner of the shitzu wasn't too concerned. So I told her, if he does succeed, the pups are going to be "Rot'n-Shitz".
She laughed, and went to tell the rotweiller's owners.

Dave

LAWNS AND MOWER
01-26-2002, 04:09 PM
Post script to the "Lucky" saga. Lady gives me a call in the fall and asks me to come over to her house to get paid. She was getting ready to leave for Florida for the winter. Pull up to her house in my street clothes and driving my personal car. ( Lucky would always be looking outside and recognized my work van) Lady tells me to come in the house. I'm like "Thanks, but no thanks" She insists that I come in. So hear I am sitting in her livingroom on stage 1 alert for this tazzmanian mutt to come charging at me. Hear comes Lucky slowly over to me. I'm about to piss in my pants. He starts sniffing me and then jumps into my lap wanting to be petted. This mutt didn't recognize me. So hear I am petting this dog and looking at his scar on his nose. Must of sat on my lap for 20 minutes while I'm chatting with this lady. She comments " Lady likes You" Meanwhile, I'm thinking in my head, lets see if he still likes me next season while I have a weedeater in my hand and he comes charging at me again!!!!

LAWNS AND MOWER-- Gone golfing til Friday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LAWNGODFATHER
01-26-2002, 04:40 PM
David Haggerty; "Rot'n-Shitz".

New dog bread

LAWNS AND MOWER; She comments " Lady likes You"

So the DOG said "Lady likes you"?

LAWNS AND MOWER
01-26-2002, 04:43 PM
Can't get anything past LGF!!!! Missed my 30 minute window to edit so hear it goes "Lucky likes you".

LAWNS AND MOWER

LAWNGODFATHER
01-26-2002, 04:45 PM
LMAO!!!

Nope

bob
01-26-2002, 05:23 PM
One advantage in having 75% commercial accounts is that are no pets to deal with!

gusbuster
01-26-2002, 05:34 PM
Poodles are the only type of dogs that I'm aware of and afraid. They are sneaky little jerks. Of all the time in my 30 year carreer as a LCO, I've only been bitten by 1 dog, a poodle.
John

LAWNS AND MOWER
05-31-2002, 03:54 PM
Lady got back into town last week after wintering in Florida. Im mowing the yard and have my guard up for Lucky to come attack me. Thought it was strange that there wasnt any dog doody in the back yard. Start chatting with her after Im through and she informs me that Lucky got hit by a car in Fla. I express my sympathy with her but inside Im jumping up and down for joy. One less poodle in this world. Thank goodness.

LAWNS AND MOWER

little green guy
05-31-2002, 05:47 PM
we used to cut a lawn with a dobberman, that was the crazyest dog ever, i got chased my that stupid thing countess times, it would bit the front tires of the mower and one time even bit tthe trimmer line and acually stopped the line at like full trottle, I always had to look over my back. I HATE DOGS, that dog wasn't scared of anything., :angry:

bobby perez
05-31-2002, 09:54 PM
hey L and M I think you are LUCKY that the poodle missed your jewels by only 2 inches What if the dogs name was BULLS EYE?

Albemarle Lawn
06-01-2002, 02:20 AM
Used by cops for crowd control.

Mace delivered with a vengence!

realtor
06-01-2002, 05:04 AM
Da^n you guys are mean.......

My Dogs.

tremor
06-01-2002, 06:36 AM
One of my customers had a "Lucky" at one of his customers. This is a REALLY fancy neighborhood. The megarich lady would walk around with "Fluffy" in tow critiqueing Ricks work. During leaf cleanup season, Rick would allways advise against this practice. She'd allways ignore him & walk Fluffy off the leash while pointing out stray leaves. One day Fluffy was nipping away at the ankles of a new laborer while the Mrs was pointing out things on the lawn. The new guy turned to see what the deal was (couldn't hear the barking over a 20HP leaf loader) & he accidently sucked Fluffy right up into the leaf vac! No more Fluffy. The foreman told Rick as discreetly as he could. After looking into the now silent leafbox, he sent them away before they were done. Then he went & found Mrs Megamoney, who was now calling for the deceased, and had to break the gruesome news to her. I'm afraid I laughed right out loud when he told me about this. Fluffy had attempted to bite me on every single walkthrough we ever did there.

He ended up loosing the account over the winter.

Steve

proline32
06-02-2002, 01:21 AM
I just won't work for people who have dogs, I just don't want to be responcible for possibly hurting the dog, around here It don't matter if you have a customer sign 20 pages of disclaimers, If something does happen, the local judges will always rule in favor of the customer, I had a judge tell me a few years ago, your the businessman, you should of known better and you should of said no to the customer and refused to work for them. I had a dog get hit by a peice of flying debris on a lawn I was working on and it needed stitches, well The customer wanted me to pay the bill even though I had a disclaimer that I'm not responcible for loose animals in yards. But the judge ruled in thier favor and said that I was responcible, I had to fork out $700 bucks for vet services, well needless to say I no longer do that yard and I still have a few yards that have dogs, but they are put inside by the owner or no service, but once these customers are let go, I won't get any new yards that have dogs. Besides I really hate dog poop on my mower wheels.

NewbieOwner
06-02-2002, 01:52 AM
Personally, there's only one type of dog out there that REALLY scares me. I've refused to do some VERY profitable work this year because I wont work around that type of dog...

Pit Bulls...

Meanest f***rs I've ever met. I've had too many close calls with them. And they all seem to have a similar tactic...

Each one I've run into, likes to keep quiet, stay out of sight, until you're in a part of the yard where you dont have an easy escape route... Then they'll come after you.

I've had many people tell me they are the sweetest dogs ever... I don't believe it. Too many run ins with them... Too many pieces of clothing damaged... If they want my services they can loose the dog, its that simple. Simply promising to keep the dog in the house on mow day doesn't work... Too many times I've had owners forget.

Andrew

SLS
06-02-2002, 04:28 AM
I'm with you proline32.

I see a dog chain, pen, toys, dog house, or any sign of a 'outside' dog..."NO BID!!!".

My first year taught me it just wasn't worth to hassle. I dumped them as fast as I could and now avoid 'dog yards' at all costs...period.

Although...One of my weekly clients (for the last 3 years) suprised me with a new pooch a couple of months ago...oh yeah...a leaping bundle of joy...a Mastiff pup!

He was right out in the middle of the backyard on a 40' cable that was attached to one of those anchors that screw into the ground. :angry: I HATE those things!!! There he was..running around in BIG circles...just waiting for the chance to drag that cable up under the Lazer if I got too close. So I had to stop, unhook the cable, and take him up to the carport so I could secure him to a support post. Besides stepping in doggy doo this little Mastiff must have weighed 100 lbs already, and was jumping all over me, tangling the cable as he went...:angry: :angry:

Of course, I had to do it all over again once I finished 'his' designated area and proceeded towards the carport area. I must have wasted 15 to 20 minutes screwing with that mut...on a 1 hour lawn. :cry: What's a poor lawnguy to do???

I 'went through the motions' for two more visits and decided that on my next visit I would tell my client that I had to raise her price (or drop her) because of the dog-time. :(

Well, the next time I arrived at this lawn I was full of dread...but, lo and behold, there was no sign of the pooch! I assumed that she had seen me struggling with the dog and had decided to put him inside while I was there...and all I had to do now was roll up the cable around the anchor...not great...but much better than wrestling with that leaping brute of a pup...and his 40' lifeline!

When I finished mowing and went to her door to collect I inquired about 'our little friend' and tears started forming in her eyes! Turns out that she backed over him with her Dodge Ram and killed him!

Oh well....now it's back to the way I had it in the first place...NO DOGS! :)

ps: Don't get me wrong...I love dogs and own 2 Doxies myself. I just don't let them play near running mowers. :D

proline32
06-02-2002, 11:04 PM
SLS, Sounds as if the customer isn't responsible enough to have a dog, ( backing over it and killing it) Now I'm for some reason thinking of that scene in chevy chases " Vacation" where the dog was tied to the back of the car and they forgot about it and drove off.......... That was funny.

Brickman
06-02-2002, 11:42 PM
A 45 would work for control of the mutts.

Several customers have dogs that might be out when I mow. They always move when I am near. The one guys his are friendly as long as the equip is off. They will let you pet them and play with them. But any thing with an idle will scare the stuffing out of them. No problem getting mowed over there. At the other one the dogs are scared too, and I don't like them.

A dog that bit me would have to dig a size 10 out of his arse. Or his ribs. And it would have been going full speed at the time of impact.

I like dogs, but some are just as much a PITA as some people are.