PDA

View Full Version : Controller wiring

rockee
08-19-2008, 01:21 PM
Where can I find info on how to run cable from a controller to the valves: how many sets of wire inside the cable, how to make connections, wiring the transformer, what type of cable to use, where to branch to smaller wire, etc? For example, if the controller will take care of 10 zones, how far do I run the 10-zone wire, and when do I change to wire which takes care of one zone? I couldn't find this in the various recommended tutorials.

irrig8r
08-19-2008, 02:17 PM
Are your valves manifolded or scattered about "Texas style"? :rolleyes:

Run one separate continuous wire to each valve, and either "daisy chain" your common or run separate commons to different parts of the yard where your valves are.

Don't change wire size along the way.

Whether #18 or #14 I always try to leave at least one or two spare wires.

lowvolumejeff
08-19-2008, 02:48 PM
Originally Posted by rockee
Where can I find info on how to run cable from a controller to the valves: how many sets of wire inside the cable,

As many valves as it is to service plus one common (ground). That said, I always include one or two for future expansion

how to make connections

Where? in the ground, I use grease plugs. I try never to make a splice unless it is at a valve box. Different controllers use different connectors/modules.

wiring the transformer - ? to the wall? either a pigtail or plug in

what type of cable to use,

I use 18 gauge multi strand direct burial sprinkler wire. All leads have different colored insulation,making hook up much easier. If you have exceptionally long runs from controller to valves, a larger wire (as in a 14 gauge) is required. I have never had to use anything larger than 18 gauge in residential work.

where to branch to smaller wire, etc? For example, if the controller will take care of 10 zones, how far do I run the 10-zone wire, and when do I change to wire which takes care of one zone? Depends on your layout.

From your question I am assuming you have valves in more than one location. Obviously, you need a common (ground) wire to each valve. If you are running wire in only one direction, start with AT LEAST a combination of the number of valve plus one (extras nice) At the first (most proximal) valve, you can drop to one less wire. I usually group 2 or more valves in a box, and usually don't start dropping leads until the second or third box, depending on distance from the controller. You don't have to drop any leads on a system, and often buying 250 foot spools of wire is less expensive than a 100 foot of say 12 lead and 100 foot of 6 lead, and another 50 foot of 4 lead. You will have to measure your distances from box to box and controller to determine the right solution for you.

I couldn't find this in the various recommended tutorials. - Glad you knew to ask here. :)

Hope I helped, Jeff

Wet_Boots
08-19-2008, 03:36 PM
Or do like Mobile Irrigation, and use multiconductor stranded wire, say 24 gauge, and make connections by twisting the wires together and wrapping electrical tape around them.

rockee
08-19-2008, 04:54 PM
Or do like Mobile Irrigation, and use multiconductor stranded wire, say 24 gauge, and make connections by twisting the wires together and wrapping electrical tape around them.

Thanks for your reply, but Lowvolumejeff and Irrig8r replies seem more prudent :) and I thank them very very much. I'm sure I will have some more questions and it's truly great to know I have people I can turn to.

CAPT Stream Rotar
08-19-2008, 05:39 PM
Thanks for your reply, but Lowvolumejeff and Irrig8r replies seem more prudent :) and I thank them very very much. I'm sure I will have some more questions and it's truly great to know I have people I can turn to.

Dedham isn't far away for me...

I could come out and consult your project.

CSR

Wet_Boots
08-19-2008, 05:45 PM
But hide the waitresses first.

Mike Leary
08-19-2008, 06:02 PM
Rockee has prolly read "The Recent Adventures of ROTAR".

koster_irrigation
08-19-2008, 07:32 PM
i like using 24 gauge.

CAPT Stream Rotar
08-19-2008, 07:36 PM
18 is fine imho

rockee
08-19-2008, 07:43 PM
i like using 24 gauge.

being a total newbie to this, please give me a hint if you're kidding or not.

Wet_Boots
08-19-2008, 07:47 PM
being a total newbie to this, please give me a hint if you're kidding or not.Yes, we're busy trying to crack each other up, as an aside to the genuine advice. Do not use stranded wire.