PDA

View Full Version : guarentee?

bobbyge
08-19-2008, 04:48 PM
i'll be blunt: you charge a customer for a weed treatment. some of the weeds die, some don't. the customer is unhappy because they still have weeds. do you: make another app at another full fee? do you do another app for free, or at a discounted rate since the customer isn't happy with the results of the first one?

evergreenedmond
08-19-2008, 04:50 PM
Absolutely!!!

bobbyge
08-19-2008, 04:52 PM
Absolutely!!!

absolutely, what?

evergreenedmond
08-19-2008, 04:57 PM
Without a doubt

bobbyge
08-19-2008, 05:09 PM
re-apply for free?

VARMIT COMMISSION
08-19-2008, 06:00 PM
Re-apply and give them what they paid for. What they paid for the first time. I have gone back to a 3 acre lawn and re-applied to get the result I told them they would get. I lost my arss on the job but- they got what they paid for. I guarantee my weed control. Now there is always the exception. Nutsedge that pops up 2 weeks later. Or applying a pre-m and weed's not controlled by germination. But we talk about that before hand and they understand. Its is weed control not elimination.

teeca
08-19-2008, 06:05 PM
i let customers know up front that weeds are part of nature and we will treat them when we're there. service calls are very expensive, they actuley cost more then a regulare application. most of my customers understand, the new ones sometimes don't get it, but after a season of applications, the next year is a breeze. save the free bee's for TG and scotts.

americanlawn
08-19-2008, 08:03 PM
We hardly ever have to reapply weed killer cuz we watch the radar, etc. Our most common weed control complaints in recent years were due to the ride-on units we used to use. We always went back at no charge and retreated. Now we do not have that problem cuz we went with a different ride-on unit. Bottom line....we guarantee our application works. New weeds = charge again if they're picky and don't want to wait for their next application. Usually we guarantee 3 weeks...after that????

CrownLawnSvc
08-19-2008, 08:08 PM
It depends. If there are a normal amount of weeds in the yard, then I will spot spray for free. I the yard is nothing but a weed patch, then I let them know one application won't do it all. Therefore charge again.

bobbyge
08-19-2008, 08:11 PM
ok then, you guarentee "old weeds" to completely die, but "new weeds" are charged extra. great. so, when you treat in mid july, how do you adress "old weeds" and "new weeds"? are the old ones maybe color treated so you can separate them fromn the new ones? this is an intersting approach, please explain

tamadrummer
08-19-2008, 08:11 PM
Not in turf for me but in bed maintenance, I don't guarantee results. I tell them I will be slowly working on gaining control through the use of glyphosate and then if the other weeds need to be controlled with a different chemical it will be more money. I am averaging $40/month for gly apps in the beds.

I am working on a program for fert/bugs/weeds in flowerbeds. If the beds are not mulched I charge per application, not per month. About $30 a week because it is impossible to keep things under control here in the summer wet season.

I need to start buying and selling snap-shot.

RigglePLC
08-19-2008, 09:06 PM
REspray for free. But certain weeds are tough--spurge and violets, ground ivy and veronica--we tell them it may take a few times to get rid of them.

humble1
08-19-2008, 11:06 PM
i'll be blunt: you charge a customer for a weed treatment. some of the weeds die, some don't. the customer is unhappy because they still have weeds. do you: make another app at another full fee? do you do another app for free, or at a discounted rate since the customer isn't happy with the results of the first one?

I will come back if they call within 2 weeks and i will reapply. anything over that is new weeds

LawnTamer
08-19-2008, 11:17 PM
Is this a visit from Mr Gedd? Perhaps using an old account? It just sounds like a BG question. Besides, do the French really have a green industry?

Runner
08-20-2008, 01:09 AM
LOL. I was just going to say....Good to see ya, Bobby...How ya been? Well, I hope.

garydale
08-20-2008, 02:06 PM
The first thing you should be advising a client on is "one application will not get everthing".
A followup treatment is advised on turf weeds and definitely on tree & shrub sprays.

With weeds requiring different types of control products, at different stages of growth and some requiring second application it would be foolish to promise a "one appl. does it all sales pitch".

All else fails read the label and show it to the client. IMO

mikesturf
08-20-2008, 08:21 PM
When I take on a new customer with lots of weeds, I tell them, it took years for your lawn to look this bad and it will take a few visits (paid) to get your lawn into shape... its like going to the health club, you can't be Arnold in one visit. Current customers, my full year program consists of 6 visits, so I am on the lawn monthly so there is usually no need for them to call.

turf hokie
08-20-2008, 10:11 PM
Did booby forget the two D's at the end of his name???????

I do the same as humble..........

Big Bad Bob
08-21-2008, 04:31 PM
Re-apply and give them what they paid for. What they paid for the first time. I have gone back to a 3 acre lawn and re-applied to get the result I told them they would get. I lost my arss on the job but- they got what they paid for. I guarantee my weed control. Now there is always the exception. Nutsedge that pops up 2 weeks later. Or applying a pre-m and weed's not controlled by germination. But we talk about that before hand and they understand. Its is weed control not elimination.

He's going to argue with you.

Big Bad Bob
08-21-2008, 04:32 PM
i let customers know up front that weeds are part of nature and we will treat them when we're there. service calls are very expensive, they actuley cost more then a regulare application. most of my customers understand, the new ones sometimes don't get it, but after a season of applications, the next year is a breeze. save the free bee's for TG and scotts.

And he's going to argue with you.

Frank Fescue
08-21-2008, 04:49 PM
Communication is key to doing this properly. If a customer has weeds and you say you'll spray them for X amount of dollars they're going to expect that application to eradicate their weed problem. anybody whos been doing this job for more than 2 weeks knows thats just not going to happen.

Educate them, it lets them know you're aware of the problem and trying to work out a solution.

bobbyge
08-21-2008, 05:17 PM
Communication is key to doing this properly. If a customer has weeds and you say you'll spray them for X amount of dollars they're going to expect that application to eradicate their weed problem. anybody whos been doing this job for more than 2 weeks knows thats just not going to happen.

Educate them, it lets them know you're aware of the problem and trying to work out a solution.

while i agree, it just don't work like that. i can talk and talk and talk until i'm purple in the face, and it doesn't matter. to the people who said re-apply for free, you do realize at this point your profit from the first visit is gone. and don't tell me you're making such a killing that you can re-apply for free and still make out good. if this were the case, your price would be too high to be competitive. the bottom line is people don't want to hear that they paid $75 for a treatment, didn't get rid of the weeds, so they'll need to spend another $75. and if all the weeds still aint gone, another $75. i don't care how many times you tell them in advance, the result ends up the same= they feel cheated when you tell them they need to pay for a re-treatment. i find this end of the business to be a losing proposition.

cod8825
08-21-2008, 10:12 PM
This is a great question. I give everybody one free call back in any given year after that it will cost them cause my route is not as tight as some here.

teeca
08-21-2008, 10:27 PM
And he's going to argue with you.

i don't argue with idiots, it's pretty much my way. there are exceptions, but i treat for whats there, and if for some reason the weeds don't die, i'll be back in several weeks anyway. when i worked for scotts i had several customers that knew i'd be back in 4 weeks, and they call in for weeds or the grass not being green enough, so i'd get a service call and fert it for free, then when they came up for an application, they'd skip it. forget that sh*t!! treat the lawns of people that care, life's to short. i'm making a good living now with what i've got, anything else is just a bonus. kind of like the corona comercial on TV. to late in my life to have all the hassels of the TG can do it cheaper customer, or even the cut rate fireman that took some of my mowing jobs ($15 a lawn, good luck, now i know why you need a second job!) but i just fert now and have never been happier.

Frank Fescue
08-21-2008, 10:36 PM
while i agree, it just don't work like that. i can talk and talk and talk until i'm purple in the face, and it doesn't matter. to the people who said re-apply for free, you do realize at this point your profit from the first visit is gone. and don't tell me you're making such a killing that you can re-apply for free and still make out good. if this were the case, your price would be too high to be competitive. the bottom line is people don't want to hear that they paid $75 for a treatment, didn't get rid of the weeds, so they'll need to spend another $75. and if all the weeds still aint gone, another $75. i don't care how many times you tell them in advance, the result ends up the same= they feel cheated when you tell them they need to pay for a re-treatment. i find this end of the business to be a losing proposition.

For starters you have no idea what my profit is, so claiming i'm breaking even if i have to go out and spray a patch of clover is both short sighted and wrong.

Again I'll stress communication. Spraying weeds will kill those weeds, but unless something is done to thicken up the areas where the weeds are present and conditions are made more favorable for turf then you're going to go out and spray again and again and thats stupid IMO. It's like taking some advil to deal with the pain of a hernia, its a quick and temproary fix but something that needs to be adressed head on and correctly to take care of it.

I treat 7 towns, I try to stay local as much as possible. If a customer in my most distant area calls and complains about weeds I'll try to work it out over the phone and let them know when I'll be back in the area to spray the weeds. I don't guarentee weed control. I guarentee I'll do the best work possible to get their lawn looking good. You'd be surprised how many people are willing to listen if you're willing to work with them and let them know you have their best interests in mind.

If you say something simple like "weeds will die out in 7-10 days" they're going to expect them to die out in 7-10 days. if you say "You should see some control of the weeds in about a week, Weed-X can be tough to control so I'll spray the remaining weeds with the next application." their expectations will be more reasonable.

bobbyge
08-21-2008, 11:33 PM
wrong son, i DO know what your profit is, i've been doing this for 15+ yrs. and i know, that there is no room for pampering, and re-treatments. thanks for the advice though

humble1
08-21-2008, 11:50 PM
wrong son, i DO know what your profit is, i've been doing this for 15+ yrs. and i know, that there is no room for pampering, and re-treatments. thanks for the advice though

speaking for myself I could go back again and spray for free, and still make money, of course in MA I get over 200 per acre. Also Im not re spraying the whole yard.

greendoctor
08-22-2008, 03:37 AM
This is why I never never never just spray a lawn. It is either on my full fertilization, irrigation management and weed control monthly program or they can get their unlicensed yard guy to do it. When I was someone's employee, the company would do one time jobs. Talk about a can of worms. In one instance, I made repeated applications of 2,4-D to a hybrid bermuda lawn in no condition to be treated. Good thing I was able to walk away from that one without the DOA getting involved. I am about $1200 per thousand square feet, per year. What I do guarantee is the lawn will have no more than 1% weeds and will be a very healthy green. Just submitted a qoute for a 10 acre lawn at around $370 per acre per month. Fertilization and weed control included. These are zoysia lawns on my program for a year. The last set is a before of a Tifgreen lawn. Heavy infestation of sedges, smutgrass and paspalum.

dishboy
08-22-2008, 08:44 AM

This is coming from the guy who uses "weed and feed" I.E. granular bl control. So how is France Booby?

bobbyge
08-22-2008, 08:55 AM
france is good. lots of fraulines here. yes i use granular trimec in addition to wet products. i get good results too. but it's not magic. and i'm not god. i garentee nothing ever ever ever when it comes to aplications. first of all and most importantly, you NEVER get cooperation from the customers. out of the 30 or so lawns i treat, maybe TWO actually follow watering instructions. the rest water too little, at night, too much, or not at all, and they LIE and swear they are following instructions. meanwhile i can drive by 5 days in a row at 6 am, and see the sprinklers on every day. or the ground is so dry it's cracking, and they tell me thay are watering. fk this mental abuse. i quit playing this stupid game years ago. you want a program? fine, you will - pay for the season in full in advance. and you will- NOT call me about about stupid crap. if you don't water like i say, or we have a weather related outbreak of sedge or crabgrass, DO NOT give me crap about it. it's between you, and god. i will not EVER re-treat for free. nope, not one drop, not one granual.

Frank Fescue
08-22-2008, 10:40 AM
france is good. lots of fraulines here. yes i use granular trimec in addition to wet products. i get good results too. but it's not magic. and i'm not god. i garentee nothing ever ever ever when it comes to aplications. first of all and most importantly, you NEVER get cooperation from the customers. out of the 30 or so lawns i treat, maybe TWO actually follow watering instructions. the rest water too little, at night, too much, or not at all, and they LIE and swear they are following instructions. meanwhile i can drive by 5 days in a row at 6 am, and see the sprinklers on every day. or the ground is so dry it's cracking, and they tell me thay are watering. fk this mental abuse. i quit playing this stupid game years ago. you want a program? fine, you will - pay for the season in full in advance. and you will- NOT call me about about stupid crap. if you don't water like i say, or we have a weather related outbreak of sedge or crabgrass, DO NOT give me crap about it. it's between you, and god. i will not EVER re-treat for free. nope, not one drop, not one granual.

if you have such a hangup with the industry do something else? May I recommend nutjob who stands on freeway offramps yelling at cars because they're too blue? Your qualifications seem to be off the charts And it seems like an industry that would better suit someone of your mental capacity.

dishboy
08-22-2008, 11:12 AM

I hear you on the water issue, idiots I tell you idiots!

americanlawn
08-22-2008, 09:35 PM
I was trained by the "original" lawn care company (ChemLawn -- Duke brothers). I proudly pattern my lawn/tree care company after them. They were the "pioneer" of this industry, and they had everything going for them -- R & D, etc. They were the best, but since then, they got bought out 4 times, and new start-ups have emerged. Some LCO's have great customer service, and some do not. In my area, most LCO's are great operations......this means taking care of your customer base. Once you cheat or take your customers for granted, things will go downhill, cuz "the word spreads". This is why we do everything we can to "keep" the customers we have...........otherwise, there are other competitors to choose from who also do a fine job.

So I don't mind taking five minutes out of my day to spot spray weeds, spray for aphids, nutsedge, crabgrass, etc. I even sprayed four hackberry trees for lacebugs 2 days ago at no charge. This would normally be a $40 charge, but these folks called in to let us know how much they appreciated this. I admit that my main job is to "grease the wheels" (the rest of my guys do the regular routes), but it sure pays off. Especially when it comes to customer referrals.

We receive several "thank you" cards every year from folks thanking us for what we did. Several of our customers win awards for "best lawn", etc. .....too many members of lawnsite are too often short-sided, cuz it's easier to attract bees with honey rather than vinegar. IMO

This is America, and I hope LCO's respect our heritage as well as fellow Americans. I'm tired of seeing "laziness", it's time to step up to the plate. Remember what JFK said? "It's NOT what this Country can do for you, it's what YOU can do for this Country". :usflag::canadaflag:

whoopassonthebluegrass
08-22-2008, 11:41 PM
Perhaps I'm an exception to the rule, but since my most proximity-challenged customer is only 10 miles from my home, and I'm in 100% of my service area every single week, it's no biggie. I always have my spraying gear with me and hit the lawns as needed.

That being said, however, I make it clear to people up front that it takes time to clean up a nasty lawn. Those who are anal about having a dandelion in between treatments get this response from me: "as long as you keep your yard outside, you're gonna get weeds." They laugh and always back down feeling a bit sheepish...

Costs suck. But being solo makes it a little easier to take an extra 5 minutes and handle the problem. Hell, I've even retreated an entire lawn just because it'd be far less time consuming than justifying my methods to the customer (time being money, and all that)...

humble1
08-24-2008, 02:24 PM
if you have such a hangup with the industry do something else? May I recommend nutjob who stands on freeway offramps yelling at cars because they're too blue? Your qualifications seem to be off the charts And it seems like an industry that would better suit someone of your mental capacity.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: