PDA

View Full Version : What self propeled mower to buy

GriffinLawnService
08-19-2008, 06:39 PM
I have 2 yards that I cant get to the back yard with anything besides a push mower. I have been using a old craftsman self propeled one that I have owned for years. I havent invested in one because I only have 2 yards like this. The old craftsman is giving out so I am looking into buying another. What is on the market that is worth a darn. Or what are some ideas. Thanks

Care Free LC
08-19-2008, 07:34 PM
it depends on your budget and plans for growth. I started with my honda home owners until it crapped out and then bought a toro personal pace from home depot. It only lasted three months and the transmission went out. i was only using it on four yards a week one day a week in the winter, so it was not worth the money. If you are wanting something that will last for years get a commercial or estate version mower. You will pay more, but it is meant to last longer under rigorous usage. I think everyone uses toros around here ($1100) but i bought a honda commercial unit ($1000). I like the way it cuts better than toro. It has 2 blades rather than just one and mulches very well in any condition.Bottom line is what can you afford to spend. If you have a grand laying around, then invest it in a mower that will serve you for many years. If you only have a few hundred dollars to blow look for a used commercial or go to home depot and get a honda there. Expect issues to arise if you dont keep up with maintenance regularly though.
You could get a few years out of a honda i think if you service it often enough.

Weedas_Lawn_Care
08-20-2008, 05:12 PM
i have a honda 21" i wouldnt trade it for the world it starts first full no choke or anything and its great they might be pricy but i bought mine used from a friend for bout $400 and i am guessing its going to run forever

Mike's LawnCare Landscape
08-20-2008, 05:51 PM
Honda Is the 21" trim mower that I use . It cost me $1000 but it's nice .
The 2 blades cuts like a dream and it has 6 or 7 setting on the bagger (so you can bag alot to a little and mulch if you like .