PDA

View Full Version : Bag Worms

Travis E
08-19-2008, 09:21 PM
Its that season again. On several spruce trees around where I mow. What is there to use to kill them off before they really start showing up. BTW, they just started showing up this week.

GREEN-UP
08-19-2008, 10:13 PM
I use Bifen from lesco. I had bagworms bad, sprayed with heavy mix, went away. They did come back, but not as bad(barely).

Travis E
08-19-2008, 10:14 PM
I use Bifen from lesco. I had bagworms bad, sprayed with heavy mix, went away. They did come back, but not as bad(barely).

i see your from ohio, you just get them? No lesco near by so that don't help.

jdmcat
08-19-2008, 10:40 PM
bifenthrin, ie TalstarOne, Upstar, Wisdom, etc...

Whitey4
08-19-2008, 11:19 PM
Sorry to go so off topic, but jdmcat, that avatar.... I went to a catholic grade school, and this was where the bad "Habits" tortured and terrorized little kids... but

There was this one kid... I sear to you, I SWEAR, he WAS Alfred E Nueman, right sown to the ears and freckles. First time I ever saw him, I was like "Holy chit! Are YOU the REAL Alfred E Nueman?"

I was promptly brought down to the torture chamber, and was whipped on my hands with an aluminum yardstick... and NOT with the flat side, but with the EDGE!

Al almost got me killed....

jdmcat
08-19-2008, 11:37 PM
sorry to bring up bad memories... here this will help you forget

:drinkup::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup:

Travis E
08-19-2008, 11:40 PM
Anyone spray to prevent? I just read elsewhere that Sevin will work when sprayed in the spring.

americanlawn
08-20-2008, 07:05 PM
There is no prevention spray. We wait until they hatch out and are at least 1/2 inch long. Then we spray thoroughly with Crosscheck (Talstar)...100% kill. I sprayed more of them today, but some had already dropped their eggs (too late to spray, so we're putting them on the 2009 schedule).

Travis E
08-20-2008, 10:24 PM
Well i picked the few that had started, then sprayed with sevin. Will keep an eye on them. My neighbor has loresband, (no clue how its spelled) but if they get really bad i'll end up spraying with that.

americanlawn
08-21-2008, 05:59 PM
Lorsban is great stuff. Very effective and it has good residual. If you pinch the bag, and there's nothing in there, plan on spraying in early summer 2009. Sevin is more short-lived than Lorsban or Talstar.

Well i picked the few that had started, then sprayed with sevin. Will keep an eye on them. My neighbor has loresband, (no clue how its spelled) but if they get really bad i'll end up spraying with that.

Travis E
08-21-2008, 06:03 PM
Lorsban is great stuff. Very effective and it has good residual. If you pinch the bag, and there's nothing in there, plan on spraying in early summer 2009. Sevin is more short-lived than Lorsban or Talstar.

Thanks, will mark on calendar to hit them hard then. Sevin washes off so easily so if it rains (a big IF) then i will spray again.

greendoctor
08-22-2008, 02:46 AM
Lorsban. Ag label chlorpyrifos 4E, AKA Dursban. Good stuff if you have some old chemicals that the DOA does not know about. Otherwise it is a Federal RUP.

americanlawn
08-22-2008, 10:10 PM
You can thank the liberals for this. It costs mucho dollars to get products labeled. Let him use up his Lorsban instead of disposing it in the dump. (sorry Osama :confused:if I make common sence)

greendoctor
08-23-2008, 03:48 AM
I think it is more about the pseudoscientists and special interest groups setting environmental policy. If all of this stuff were truly bad, we would all be dead. In my lifetime, I have been exposed to tons of Metasystox-R, Diazinon, Dursban, Kelthane, Malathion, and others I cannot think of at the moment. All of this exposure is way before I got into the lawn care business. Homeowners here were spraying this stuff on there own trees and shrubs, probably over the label rates from before I was born until the EPA banned most of it for residential use. I agree, let him use up the Lorsban responsibly rather than dump it where it becomes a point source pollutant. Lots of products are out there that are good T & O pesticides, but they are only registered for golf courses. The manufacturers have to jump through special expensive hoops to get a product labeled for residential lawns. That is why Tenacity, Monument and Fusilade are labeled for golf course use only. Even though the MSDS does not indicate any of those products are particularly hazardous to humans. The FQPA actually is doing more to remove pesticides from T & O use than it is to reduce residue on foods. If a chemical is found on food, their reasoning is to eliminate exposure to it in other situations where an alternative, albeit expensive and or impractical is available. That is how chlorpyrifos, Kelthane and dimethoate got banned for T & O applications. The replacements for these products cost up to 10X as much and do not work nearly as well. The special interest groups also include the very people you would think are on our side. Companies such as Bayer, Dow, Syngenta, do not mind if the less expensive but effective products are banned. They can then make the money off of the more expensive and new products. I read through some EPA reregistration decision rulings on many good older products. In most cases, the companies decided not to fight for what is right and gave in, knowing they could get more money from the politically acceptable substitute.