PDA

View Full Version : what other jobs do people have?

RR Lawn Care
08-20-2008, 07:39 AM
I am wondering what other jobs do you all do other than lawns? How do you manage to do them both and when do you fit the lawns in? I am currently a kitchen manager as well and cook at night with weekends off but was applying to other jobs than may be more daytime and still wanted to have my lawns. is it appropriate to do them in the evening or would it all be weekend work?

larryinalabama
08-20-2008, 07:57 AM
Im a mechanic from 6 to 2 and do a few lawns in the afternoon. I have seen some Locs do yards in the evening. Daytime is better less time talking to the owners.

bohiaa
08-20-2008, 08:52 PM
Im a mechanic from 6 to 2 and do a few lawns in the afternoon. I have seen some Locs do yards in the evening. Daytime is better less time talking to the owners.

How right you are,,,,, ya can really eat up some time when customers come out and want to chit chat about the weather and such....

When getting a contract DONT give a TIME to be there, Jsut a DAY. and inform the customer due to unforseen issues you may stray off a day or two.
List "or tell them" things like weather, Break-downs, this gives them the feeling that your NOT working another job...

Of corse some dont care...

Good Luck

STRINGALATION
08-21-2008, 01:03 AM
i cook at night myself and do not ever tell them i do something else.
and i love night work wont do breakfast because days belong to my company and that chit chatting thing can be a pain in the azz i hope to not cook sooner or later

t2jackson
08-21-2008, 01:59 AM
I'm a tech for a wireless phone company , 4 10hr shifts 9pm-7am . Leaves my days free for lawns. Who needs sleep , right ? ;-)

GreenAcresLC
08-21-2008, 10:52 AM
Before I got into the lawn biz "full time", I was a long-haul truck driver/owner. Being gone for many days at a time was a little rough on a new family (28 yrs old, married 4 yrs, son 2 yrs old). I sold out in March, bought a bunch of new lawn equipment, and became legit. Now that things are drying up a bit here in KY, I'm beginning to go back to trucking a few days a week, and that is my plan to get through the winter, only more than just a few days a week. My dad owns the truck, is set up with a local coal company to haul their product, I just drive. That's a lot simpler than owning the trucking outfit...it was way worse than being a legit LCO....wayyy more regulation and rules.

Allens LawnCare
08-22-2008, 10:02 PM
I'm a telecomunications Tech, Sunday-Wed 6:30-5:00, leaves me nights during the summer and Thursday-Sat to cut

STIHL GUY
08-22-2008, 11:12 PM
i go to school 5 days a week and have sports practices so i dont get out untill 5- 530 and i mow after that and on weekends

Burkhart Lawn Care
08-23-2008, 01:06 PM
Parts man, for for Ford L/M

puffyhead929
08-23-2008, 04:34 PM
I do it how stihl guy does it and in the winter I fix iPods

plowboy72
08-23-2008, 10:27 PM
Farm. Just getting started in this.

dura to the max
08-23-2008, 10:38 PM
EMT/FF:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag:

RLLServicesCT
08-24-2008, 12:35 AM
Same as stihl guy, and puffy, full time student and during the winter I try to buy and resell equipment to keep busy.

Even Cut Lawn Care
08-24-2008, 01:23 AM
Police Officer

Strick
08-24-2008, 11:20 AM
I work for a county municipality from 7-330 M-F in grounds and facilities maintenance. I do my lawn and landscaping business after that. Hope to be fulltime lawn business one day.

Military Lawns
08-24-2008, 03:32 PM
I work for CSX as a Freight Conductor.:usflag:

jrs mowing
08-24-2008, 05:50 PM
I work at a local factory from 630am to 4pm m-thur. 630-1030 am on fri. and take care of cemetarys +lawns after hours all week and weekend alot of the times. I have help on some of the cemies....and lawns ..It keeps me busy all summer.

jbpo
08-25-2008, 02:37 AM
Police Officer

I am also a full time police officer. I cut grass during the day and do police work at night. Sleep is hard to come by during the summer. Both jobs get busy!!

Marvelous Gardens
08-25-2008, 02:52 AM
I am a lab technician at a plastic plant (Formosa Plastics), I am also a certified industrial fire fighter, and am also state certified in confined space rescue. I work a split shift, which gives me half the month off, I work 7, 12 hr days and 7 12hr nights.

Even Cut Lawn Care
08-25-2008, 03:08 AM
I am also a full time police officer. I cut grass during the day and do police work at night. Sleep is hard to come by during the summer. Both jobs get busy!!

Tell me about it! It never fails 5 min before I go off air We get into something that requires at least a little overtime

milkie62
08-26-2008, 02:58 AM
Postal electronic tech midnite shift.Have days to landscape and mow.Mon-thurs only.Fri,Sat,Sun home doing my own work.

mattxb
08-26-2008, 10:16 AM
Construction Project Manager :drinkup:

jemvai
08-26-2008, 12:13 PM
I worked for a large fortune 100 insurance company for 8 years doing desktop support, I was a top performer, received awards, and was the goto guy for some of the technologies.

Long story short, 3 of us were terminated for not reporting 5 questionable pictures that were found on a high level excecutive's PC.

So I kiss 70,000k goodye plus benefits,and 32 days off plus holiday pay,I am out just like that!

Now the company is fighting my unemployment!

Needless to say I am NOT going back to that world! So I amstarting up in a week or so, got everything inplace just need a trailer and a Z turn.

Screw the man!!

Green Finger
08-26-2008, 09:22 PM
I worked for a large fortune 100 insurance company for 8 years doing desktop support, I was a top performer, received awards, and was the goto guy for some of the technologies.

Long story short, 3 of us were terminated for not reporting 5 questionable pictures that were found on a high level excecutive's PC.

So I kiss 70,000k goodye plus benefits,and 32 days off plus holiday pay,I am out just like that!

Now the company is fighting my unemployment!

Needless to say I am NOT going back to that world! So I amstarting up in a week or so, got everything inplace just need a trailer and a Z turn.

Screw the man!!

If someone is paying you 70k per year. Stay there and cut in the evenings and on saturday. Build up your clientele. payoff equipment then make a move. Be careful.....:nono: Because you are still looking for a trailer and ztr.

It's not about being fulltime away from the man, it's about growing your business.

Use those 32days off for summer rush.

milkie62
08-27-2008, 12:28 AM
I am in the $70k range with 5wks vacation,12 sickdays,10 paid holidays.I have no worries on the job and it is not bad---I cannot complain.I would not dream of quitting to mow grass for a living.I do enjoy doing it part time though.

jemvai
08-27-2008, 08:27 AM
Point taken, However I have no job right now, and I didn't quit. The company i worked for Has a lot of unhappy people there right now. crazy policy changes etc. Looking forward to a small degree of flexibility. With 2 kids one in day care and the other just started K garden today. my days off are usually when they were sick. Wich was always an issue.

mcgruff
08-27-2008, 11:23 PM
Full-time Police Officer as well. I cut in the evenings or just depends what shift I am on that month.:weightlifter:

firefightercfd
08-28-2008, 05:22 PM
Full Time Firefighter / Paramedic. 1 day of work and 2 days to mow.

topsites
08-30-2008, 01:07 AM
What other job?

Flatop
08-30-2008, 01:23 AM
Navy soon to retire September 4, 2008!!!!!!!! Still looking for another job.

stevenf
08-30-2008, 01:39 AM
20 years old. Partime lawncare business and Full time student. Main job is trying to make this business grow.

HandyHomeMedic
08-30-2008, 05:00 AM

That's a great point brother! Three of my accounts are telecommuters and are relentless for coming outside and discussing whatever. It's a huge drain on my time and productivity. I'll be on my mower and can feel their eyes burning a hole in me from behind. Then they just stand there until you finally capitulate and stop by.

I've become very frank lately and preceed the dialogue with "I don't mean to be rude, but I'm backed up on my appointments" or something creative like that.

HandyHomeMedic
08-30-2008, 05:09 AM
Two full time Paramedic jobs at night. Work 12 hr. shifts and keep the days for the biz and family. Some nights we get punished with non-stop volume and all you can do is collaps when you get home. So, as Bohia said earlier, it's important to have that flexibility built in where you're not tied to a specific date / time.

Hoping to build the biz to a point where I can work as a medic because I love the job, not because I have to.

mc24034
10-15-2008, 09:23 AM
Lawn business and some internet businesses which are taking off at the perfect time!! WINTER!

RandallM
10-15-2008, 07:23 PM
Full time engineer for aerospace, cut on weekends and monday afternoons.

msryan
10-15-2008, 11:56 PM
Currently burning both ends of the candle. Full time job is an Insurance Agent. Have been able to build clients and purchase equipment as I go with profits, rather than go out on my own 20k+ in debt. Doing it all legit with insurance and all from the start. Can't afford not to. Next spring will be going all out, hopefully with a great marketing plan.

tradeyouraccounts
10-16-2008, 12:07 AM
IT Guy along with service routes

myrtle12
10-16-2008, 08:25 AM
I work in a factory 2 12hr days,2 12hr nights,then i get 4 days off to mow lawns.The factory runs 24/7.

railman
10-16-2008, 08:27 AM
I work for CSX as a Freight Conductor.:usflag:

I work for CSX too as a Locomotive Engineer. where in florida do your work at? I work in charleston sc. florence division

mattxb
10-16-2008, 08:59 AM
Based on what I have read here, we have a lot of highly skilled and educated people who cut grass on the side or are starting a GI business part time. Thats very interesting.

Not trying to toot my horn, just using myself as an example:

I have a 5 year college degree in Architecture, a minor in Construction Management, I design houses as a side business, and I build High Rise buildings in Atlanta as a full time day job, and yet I still look forward to hooking up and going to cut grass.

Its a funny thing really, how personally rewarding it is when you self preform and run the business end of things.

RandallM
10-16-2008, 09:03 AM
I have to agree with you Matt. I never thought I would enjoy getting out and cutting lawns until I started it this summer. I am currently working with a friend who has been in the business for around 14 years. I told him I was looking for some extra work to help with putting my kids through college. He invited me out to see if I would like it and man I was hooked. I am planning on continuing working and helping him out plus take on a few accounts of my own next year.

truthnlife13
10-16-2008, 08:04 PM
Part time grounds and maintanence, part time LCO business, part time audio recording business. Keeps it interesting

yourmove
10-20-2008, 05:42 PM
Me . . . I'm a student and golf course maintenance worker.

kpetzold
10-21-2008, 12:55 AM

im also full time sheriff's deputy , im on four off three on three off four , i mow my days off , planing to go full time in lawn care .

dura to the max
10-21-2008, 01:44 AM
FIREFIGHTER/EMT!!! i love it, even though its 1:45 here and im just getting in bed from a call...gotta mow all day tomorrow too...

Reliable Lawn Care
10-21-2008, 04:59 PM
Full time locksmith, I mow in the evenings and weekends. My customer don't mind at all when I mow in the evenings. My commercial accounts, I hit on the weekends while they are closed. Works out well for me.

coolluv
10-21-2008, 05:55 PM
Construction Superintendent. Ive been in Construction for 22 years. I started my lawn business on the side in 2006.

Dave...

SIWEL
10-21-2008, 08:24 PM
i am a part time mower and full time student. plan on going full time next year and school full time aswell as long as i get a few more accounts. i have enough to keep me buisy full time and a helper 1 day a week right now.

mattxb
10-21-2008, 08:45 PM
i am a part time mower and full time student. plan on going full time next year and school full time aswell as long as i get a few more accounts. i have enough to keep me buisy full time and a helper 1 day a week right now.

1997 Ford F-250 powerstroke diesel, DownEaster insert dump
2005 EZDumper 20'x7' split rear gate, side gate, 3trimmer rack, BR400 rack, BR600 rack
2 Scag 61" Turf Tiger 1 Scag Clamshell vac system
Scag 52" Hydro WB w/ velky
Toro 52" belt drive WB (For Sale $900)
Honda 21" self propelled
Stihl FS80R
Echo SRM 210
Echo SRM 230
Stihl BR600, BR400
Stihl BG72
3 WB blowers
Billy Goat Truck Loader-20hp Briggs

Dang man, thats a lot of equipment to have and be busy for only one day. Was it given to you or something?

Sounds like you have an awesome set up though, and you should do well with it. Best of luck!!! :usflag:

Kennedy Landscaping
10-21-2008, 08:54 PM
Maintenance at a local funeral home. I'll hopefully be quitting though sometime rather soon. I want to be sure my business is going pretty steady before I do it though

SIWEL
10-21-2008, 10:29 PM
nope i paid cash for it all this year! i have a pretty decent contract that pays fairly well. i had the truck personally for a few years. right now we are working roughly 1 10 hour day and my helper is working another 10 hour day and i am working another 10 hours or so a week doing maintenance and bills. so that is 40 hours between the 2 of us. i probably do alot more then 20 hours a week, but its so hard to judge. i hope to be set up well enough to walk into 2 people fulltime next year.

RLLServicesCT
10-21-2008, 10:46 PM
Wow nice set up, where in CT are you? I'm from the New Britain, Berlin area.

Grits
10-21-2008, 11:27 PM
I also have a pressure washing business. I started working at my dealer's for 2 days a week. I buy and sell. Just got a few small candy vending machines. Whatever it takes to give my family the things they want. Besides, a buck is a buck!

Grass Happens
10-21-2008, 11:46 PM
Full time student for the foreseeable future. I have 8 accounts, I also work for a property management company doing lots of stuff but mostly mowing. I work Saturday nights at a movie theater and am on call from 5p-8a m-f and all day sat and sun for the apartment complex I live at baby sitting NIU students. Its free rent, but sometimes gets reallllll old.

KCfireman
10-21-2008, 11:52 PM
student, Firefighter, soon to be EMT and Paramedic.

SIWEL
10-22-2008, 08:37 AM
i am in middletown for landscaping, go to school at ccsu

RLLServicesCT
10-22-2008, 10:19 AM
Whats the specs on the toro there for sale? Grass gobbler too perhaps?

Roger TheShrubber
10-22-2008, 12:53 PM
I have several businesses. I landscape in the warm months. I carve hiking sticks and design websites in the cold months.

SIWEL
10-22-2008, 10:01 PM
it is a 52" floating deck hydro with an 11hp briggs and an eletric clutch

goog
10-22-2008, 10:24 PM
Pursuing a Philosophy/pol-sci degree and I mow in between classes which makes a nice break in the day although not so nice when you smell like 2-stroke

SIWEL
10-22-2008, 10:32 PM
2 stroke is an awesome smell;) my girlfriend loves it even though she mows for her father and not me :(

ECS
10-22-2008, 10:48 PM
I am wondering what other jobs do you all do other than lawns? How do you manage to do them both and when do you fit the lawns in? I am currently a kitchen manager as well and cook at night with weekends off but was applying to other jobs than may be more daytime and still wanted to have my lawns. is it appropriate to do them in the evening or would it all be weekend work?

I don't just do lawns, I am a solo property management company. I do lawns M T W and 1/2 Thur.

1/2 Thur & Fri is for anything and everything you could possibly imagine. In the winter we do snow, weekly house checks/caretaking and anything and everything you could possibly imagine. We do a lot of interior painting at our properties in the winter and a lot of refinishing work on windows and outside furniture.

Wife does cleaning for one prop year round and before the owners come back on several.

muskiejk
11-02-2008, 06:59 AM
Printer by trade,8 - 4:30 . I mow 2/3 evenginga a week and 1/2 day on sat

a clear difference lawn
11-02-2008, 07:29 AM
I tried to find something compatible with my lawn route so I got certified and do pools as well. I have 7 customers who I maintain both their lawn and pool in one combo package. Outside of these i do 30 lawns and 18 pools weekly all residential. It has worked out well for me so far.

thatphatcat
11-02-2008, 01:39 PM
Bartender, work at night do lawns in the AM..

DBL
11-02-2008, 02:01 PM
Landscaping is full time, My brother and I have 5 trucks and 7 full time guys, but I am also a part time police officer

ixlr8
11-02-2008, 04:25 PM
Senior tech at an Electronics company, I fix the equipment that makes the computer chips. I work 12+hr days, but only 14 days a month. Mowing part time, would like to quit tech job and mow full time... but the money ($70K+), 4 weeks vacation, 2 weeks personal time, 8 weeks paid sabbatical every 7 years and full benefits are hard to give up. Then again... after 30 years of the corporate world which is getting 'leaner and meaner'... I have about had enough, money is not everything.

Jeff Tracey Enterprises
11-03-2008, 08:12 AM
Full time FF/EMT, 1 on 2 off, also a parttime FF/EMT with my Volly Dept, where I work around 10, 10 hour shifts a month, mow on thursdays or Fridays for now, next year looking to go from 10 yards to 30 and just do the part time FF thing at night.

Big C
11-03-2008, 09:44 AM
I'm a Process Tech for a major oil company, I work rotating 12hr shifts(basically work 15 days a month) I mow the rest of the time. Don't think I will go FT.....I would likely hire a crew first because I don't want to give up my FT job....100k payup+ full benifits,vacation, sick leave and bonuses are hard to let go of.......but I will if the piss me off enough:wall!!!

sancho_man_orlando
11-03-2008, 11:51 AM
I tried to find something compatible with my lawn route so I got certified and do pools as well. I have 7 customers who I maintain both their lawn and pool in one combo package. Outside of these i do 30 lawns and 18 pools weekly all residential. It has worked out well for me so far.

How hard was it to get certified to do pools?

Is it just a matter of going downtown and paying for the business tax for it?

What are you charging per pool?

bare31
11-05-2008, 11:23 PM
lineman ,4-10 hr days,4 days off every other weekend,great for mowing and hunting