PDA

View Full Version : Just starting out

PlatSpeed
08-20-2008, 02:07 PM
Hi, there. I am new to this forum as you can see by my posts. but I have decided to give this business a shot. Had alot of things happen in the last year. So I do not want to work for the man. And I love a good looking lawn. I am starting out small. Mostly because of the time of year. Mostly gonna do this part time. For now to make a few extra bucks. But by next spring i want to go full time. Or the max number af yards I can do in two days. I have most of the equipment. Truck, enclosed trailer, riding mower(non comercial), wb mower, edger, weed whacker. But I have a few questions.
1. What lic do I need? And what kind of insurance? And at what time is the right time to start showing income?

2. What kind of computer programs are needed to do invoices and keep track of income and expenses and so forth?

3. How do u decide what to charge? Talked to one guy and he said you base it on $40 an hour.

4. Basic sevices are mow, whack, and edge. What else do you offer in basic service? What extras do u offer?

5. And anything else that you think can be added.

Thank you for all you help. I have seen a lot of good info on here. But I do have one thing to say. If you can't respond to me with helpful information. Then please do not respond. I have read and seen all the flaming that goes on. And I do not need it.

johngallaway
08-20-2008, 04:36 PM
Platspeed,
Welcome to the forum. I'm brand new as well. It'll probably be helpful if we kind of follow each other around on here and watch how people respond to our questions so everyone doesn't get asked things twice in a row.

1. What lic do I need? And what kind of insurance? And at what time is the right time to start showing income?

I think lic is for fert and pest control. I checked with the Texas Department of Agriculture since I'm based in San Antonio. A commercial license in TX runs around $180 so I'm going to hold off until I have a few mow and blow jobs to get that end of stuff going - wrong time of the year anyways.

2. What kind of computer programs are needed to do invoices and keep track of income and expenses and so forth?

I would highly recommend Quickbooks. I've used it before and its awesome. You can get it at any large computer retailer (Fry's, etc). Two tips on this: Read all the way through the help file before you start so you don't have to go back over and over (which you will because it's not self explanatory), also enter all your stuff each night so you don't have to do it for hours at a time.

3. How do u decide what to charge? Talked to one guy and he said you base it on $40 an hour.

"It's up to you and what you want to make." Is not the best answer. I am pricing so that I'm making great money by myself but so that I could also hire a 2 man crew to go around and do it without me there and I still make some money. That way when I start picking up a lot of contracts I can afford to turn over jobs to a second crew without loosing either contracts or money.

4. Basic sevices are mow, whack, and edge. What else do you offer in basic service? What extras do u offer?
Basic - Mow, whack, edge, blow.
Extras - Trim, and one-time jobs right now.

5. And anything else that you think can be added.

barefootlawnsandlandscape
08-20-2008, 08:06 PM
Do a search for each of your questions. You should find answers to all of them.

My advise is $40/hr is really low for this business.

Get an accountant to advise you on your business and work with him or her closely.

Get a liability policy that covers your industry, get a DBA certificate and advertise you tail off.

Don't take every job that comes your way, pick and choose and develop a tight route.

I use Quickbooks online edition. Great product. My accountant can log in at anytime and print checks, reconcile, and view any report. I can also do the same from any computer.

Search this site with any question you have. Most of them have been asked and answered before, that is why you don't see many responses to your question.

Good Luck