PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using Ammonium Sulfate ?

redbuckcavs
08-20-2008, 03:28 PM
With the ever increasing cost of fert ( my supplier Quoted me 30-0-10 @ $25 per bag) I am thinking about using Ammonium Sulfate as a N source. I can get this in bulk @ 410 per ton ($10.25 per bag will cover 10500 Sq ft @ 1# N)

Before using the Ammonium Sulfate (21-0-0) I would appreciate any input from anyone who uses this product

1) I believe it is very slow released,so how soon would we see results (I realize the amount of rainfall would be a factor)

2) would it be a problem to use in Late Aug and again sometime this Fall (or could we apply in Late Fall as a "winterizer

jkranium
08-20-2008, 04:24 PM
I have used it and was very happy. Probably gonna use it again in the fall. Just curious as to where you are getting it from?

Hoots
08-20-2008, 04:51 PM
Be careful. They don't nickname it "white hot" for nothing. If you apply 21-0-0 with any moisture on the grass and don't water it in immediately, you will burn it into next month. When I worked on a golf course we sometimes had to apply 21-0-0 with some dew left on the greens, it collected on the spreader tires and lightly burned tracks even with immediate water.

The only use I have for 21-0-0 is to melt it into the sprayer and apply it as a foliar. This will not burn.

As for the slow release, I don't think it is. I may be mistaken but it is one that gets in quick and gives you a quick heavy green growth when applied at 1#N. I sometimes add it like 46-0-0 Urea-foliar only.

teeca
08-20-2008, 05:13 PM
quote **As for the slow release, I don't think it is. I may be mistaken but it is one that gets in quick and gives you a quick heavy green growth when applied at 1#N. I sometimes add it like 46-0-0 Urea-foliar only. ***

i was thinking the reverse.. i was thinking the ammonium was not as easly taken up by turf grass, thats why we use urea. corn on the other hand does take it up very fast. i could by wrong, but this is what i was lead to beleave.

evergreenedmond
08-20-2008, 06:25 PM
I have to agree with Hoots, we use 21-0-0 in the late winter to green up fescue & rye. It seems to be pretty hot.

heritage
08-20-2008, 06:55 PM
quote **As for the slow release, I don't think it is. I may be mistaken but it is one that gets in quick and gives you a quick heavy green growth when applied at 1#N. I sometimes add it like 46-0-0 Urea-foliar only. ***

i was thinking the reverse.. i was thinking the ammonium was not as easly taken up by turf grass, thats why we use urea. corn on the other hand does take it up very fast. i could by wrong, but this is what i was lead to beleave.

Teeca,

Ammonical N is Available to roots right away in Organic SOIL.

Plants take up Nitrate and Ammonical quickly and Nitrate will Raise PH in the Rhizosphere while Ammonical will Lower PH in Rhizosphere.

Urea Converts to Ammonical N sooner or later depending on Soil Temps....Warmer/Faster.

21-0-0 AS is good stuff.

Can we get it Polymer Coated?????

That would be GREAT, and eliminate the Burn issues!

Pete

Hoots
08-20-2008, 07:55 PM
Can we get it Polymer Coated?????

That would be GREAT, and eliminate the Burn issues!

Pete

Poly coat would be good in a 21-0-0. They already do it with some of the urea in my bags of 24-0-11. It has 10.80% slow release poly plus sulfur coated urea from JDL.

quiet
08-20-2008, 10:24 PM
I prefer AS over urea. Good quick response, far less disease issues, breathtaking color, and for soils with a high pH, the combined sulfur portion really helps free up bound up P, and the minors like Iron, Manganese and Zinc. It is also much less volatile. It is not considered a slow release product, however, in clay soils, the positive ammonium charge is highly attracted to the negatively charged clay particles.

As mentioned, don't apply it when moisture is present on the grass! And it needs deep thorough irrigation.

That $10.25 is a good price. It's jumped from $8.00 to $13.25 for me this year.

I like the idea of a coated AS! But if you're looking for a slow release product, you may wanna check out Lebanon's MESA. A lot pricier, but great stuff.

jkranium
08-20-2008, 10:30 PM
I have used it up here on wet turf and never had a problem with burning. Granted it was early in the year but still the grass was not dormant.

Marcos
08-20-2008, 11:44 PM
[QUOTE=quiet;2475685]It is not considered a slow release product, however, in clay soils, the positive ammonium charge is highly attracted to the negatively charged clay particles.

[QUOTE]

Durn tootin! :laugh:

A couple of rookies on the north side of Cincy got a hold of a couple of pallets AS a little while ago.
They must not have known what what the heck they were doing with it...because they burned the bejesus out of a bunch of commercial sites, including one pretty high-profile business park site right of I-75. :cry:

And even the ones that didn't 'burn'...they no doubt had their mowing subcontractor, or the mowing co they were working for, all peed off at them, because of the unnecessary lightning-fast rate the turf was growing-right in the middle of a wet rainy May / June! :hammerhead:

ted putnam
08-21-2008, 12:15 AM
Just something to ponder here...and someone smarter than me might know.Would adding hydrexx to a tank mix that had the ammonia sulfate not give the same results as Uflexx? I mean Uflexx is just Urea coated with hydrexx...would the end result not be the same...stabilized nitrogen?

greendoctor
08-21-2008, 04:15 AM
I use it only to supply soluble sufur and acidify high pH soils. I do not consider it a good source of N. I have seen the full range of consequences caused by homeowners and moron "landscapers" misusing this product. From burnt grass, grass that grows 6 inches in a week, I am talking bermuda or zoysia cut at 1/2" growing that fast, to soil that ends up with a pH of 4.5 and excess sulfates. Having said all this, I will apply 21-0-0 to rehabilitate alkaline soils. I usually do this as a high volume drench. 5 gallons/M 2 lb 21-0-0 with 8-16 oz ferrous sulfate. One or tw o treatments a month apart and the grass gets green, will respond to normal fertilizers after that.

redbuckcavs
08-21-2008, 06:50 AM
We are at the stage in Aug where we need rain very soon because the lawns are going Dormant. The extended forecast for next week is teps in the low
80s. From what Im collecting now would NOT be tne time to apply Ammonium Sulfate!!!

Grandview
08-21-2008, 07:05 AM
My fertilizer mix is 30% AMS. I use it all year long. I have been using it for more than 10 years. Burning is no more an issue than Urea. If you have a spill it will burn but will any other fertilizer. I see a definite response to the sulfur. Excess sulfur will leach out of soil profile. If my nitrogen per pound became cheaper if I used only AMS I would. I would have no concern with applying four-five pounds of AMS per thousand.

heritage
08-21-2008, 03:34 PM
Just something to ponder here...and someone smarter than me might know.Would adding hydrexx to a tank mix that had the ammonia sulfate not give the same results as Uflexx? I mean Uflexx is just Urea coated with hydrexx...would the end result not be the same...stabilized nitrogen?

Ted,

I believe the uflexx Slows the Mineralization process which changes Urea N to Ammonical, in the Soil.

The Am Sulfate is already in available form.

A Polymer coating on Am Sulfate woul slow it's availabity as it controls the Difusion Rate through the Coating/Membrane.

Pete

VARMIT COMMISSION
08-21-2008, 04:17 PM
I was under the impression that uflexx was not a coating it was applied as the prill was being formed. Therefor it was the same release time weather applied as a granular or melting it down with water and spraying it. Also adding the durability of transporting it around, its not sprayed on like scu so you cant hurt it in shipping. Also was told it can sit around all winter and summer and get as hard as a rock under humidity and it will still keep its controlled release once melted down and sprayed. I may be way off here, but that's what my research came up with when I was considering UFLEXX.

ted putnam
08-21-2008, 09:41 PM
I appreciate the replies guys and it was good info you gave. You know how it is these days. Always scheming ways to save on the fert bill. After I posted, I thought about what I said and it was stupid on my part. AS is only 21% N anyway. Uflexx is 46%. By the time you bought hydrexx and enough AS to equal the 46% you haven't saved anything....even if it were doable!...but thanks for the responses.

hosepuller
08-27-2008, 09:16 AM
Ted,

Varmit is correct. Uflexx is not a coated product. The granule is a result of all the ingredients being combined during the manufacturing process. The physical nature of the tech materials would just sluff off a granule if one tried to coat with it.

Urea, in soil, quickly converts to NH4+ the ammonical form...and just as fast to the nitrate, NO3-. As you know, the soil has a negative charge and holds cations like a magnet. One of the enzyme blockers in uflexx, keeps the nitrogen in the cation form and nitrogen is "stuck" to the soil...so you don't lose it when it rains. 21-0-0 will convert to nitrate and is prone to leaching...That's why one can use lower rates of N with uflexx versus N source that advance to nitrate. Lower rates = lower cost

heritage
08-27-2008, 03:30 PM
Ted,

Varmit is correct. Uflexx is not a coated product. The granule is a result of all the ingredients being combined during the manufacturing process. The physical nature of the tech materials would just sluff off a granule if one tried to coat with it.

Urea, in soil, quickly converts to NH4+ the ammonical form...and just as fast to the nitrate, NO3-. As you know, the soil has a negative charge and holds cations like a magnet. One of the enzyme blockers in uflexx, keeps the nitrogen in the cation form and nitrogen is "stuck" to the soil...so you don't lose it when it rains. 21-0-0 will convert to nitrate and is prone to leaching...That's why one can use lower rates of N with uflexx versus N source that advance to nitrate. Lower rates = lower cost

HP,

Thanks for the Techy function!

I will look into the Uflexx.

Pete

garydale
08-28-2008, 10:36 AM
We are using 30-0-0, 50% AS and 50% SCU for our early fall to cut costs.
AS is "hot", immediately available N more or less.
It a good source of N, however don't send out a rookie with it.

regularguy
08-28-2008, 03:57 PM
Currently I am using UFlexx 46-0-0 and am happy with the results. I have been reading on the Internet that some folks achieve 4 weeks of good color with ammonium sulfate, that's pretty good and makes me want to think about using ammonium sulfate on my high PH soils. Has any one here seen good color last four weeks using ammonium sulfate and was it sprayed or spread granules?