PDA

View Full Version : Great Danes

MowerUp
01-05-2000, 06:18 PM
I want to talk with other Great Dane users about your equipment and how you manage to sharpen your blades and clean out underneath due to the weight of the mower. Also, I would like to know what you think of your machine. I love mine.<br>

Lazer
01-06-2000, 05:01 AM
My buddy's got 5 and loves 'em. I never bought one 'cuz they don't have a floating deck. (yet) He has a small hoist that lifts them up for maintenance.

MowerUp
01-06-2000, 12:39 PM
What kind of hoist does he have? <br>Does he have all riders? chariots / jr. chariots or stand up models<br>How long has he owned them and has he had any problems?

Lazer
01-06-2000, 12:59 PM
He has a chain lift hoist that comes from the ceiling (I think it's for engine swapping)<p>He got all surfers. (The stand-on back ones)<p>He loves 'em. 2 of them he takes the deck off and puts on a blower - boy are THEY...SWEET for fall leaf clean-up!

ashlandscaping
01-10-2000, 09:56 PM
For cleaning under the decks we just drive them up on a set of car ramps then go under drop the blades and scarp the decks.

MowerUp
01-11-2000, 02:04 PM
That is an excellent idea of using car ramps. I hadn't thought of that. Thanks for the idea.<br>

Eric ELM
01-11-2000, 02:30 PM
I keep a car ramp on the trailer and use the trailer gate as the other half. Sometimes I just use the trailer gate and block the back wheels so it doesn't roll.<p>----------<br>Eric@ELM<br>http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/index.html

GrassCtr
12-15-2002, 05:26 AM
Great Danes Rule!

The Mowerdude
12-15-2002, 08:19 AM
Here's a thread that you Great Dane enthusiasts might find interesting. Check it out!

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34195&

Lawn277
12-15-2002, 07:35 PM
I just picked up a new scamper hq, haven got a chance to use it yet. I hear from the dealer there is quite a history behind them.
He says that the guy that started that company used to own Scag. After he sold them he started Great Dane. and he just sold that to John Deere.
This is just what the dealer said . I cant say that it is fact.

thanks
Rick

strickdad
12-15-2002, 09:34 PM
rick that is a fact , we have several and continue to purchase them unless jd screws them up..

Grass Master
12-18-2002, 10:22 PM
Great Dane's are awesome. All we will use from now on. Just saw the new 2003 riders at my local dealer. NICE!

Envy Lawn Service
12-18-2002, 11:14 PM
Echo rules,

This is a pic of a 61" Chariot. Notice the engine has been turned around. Are the 2003's just like this or different.

THANKS

Grass Master
12-19-2002, 12:30 AM
Envy,

The whole unit is different. You have to see one! Much cleaner looking, new deck etc. As far as the engine is concerned I don't remember. I'm sorry.

Envy Lawn Service
12-19-2002, 12:43 AM
Dang, I wish they would update their website. Were are late getting new stuff in. Slow sales I guess. Have you seen the John Deere 757? I'm wondering since John Deere bought them if the units are now the same.

Do they still have the center sticks?

Envy Lawn Service
12-19-2002, 12:48 AM
Here is a pic of the JD 757. Anything alike?

Grass Master
12-19-2002, 07:34 AM
NO.... the new Great Dane riders do not look like the Deere unit at all. My local dealer said that there are many differerences including the deck and the frame.

The Dane units have smaller, more compact dimensions as well.

Get to your local dealer and ask to see the new 2003 Chariots.

I think that you will be impressed. I know I am!

The Mowerdude
12-19-2002, 11:11 PM
Well, I've owned both, so I'm speaking from experience.

But for the same price that you pay for a Great Dane, you can have a Hustler Super Z. Why, why, why would anyone still want to have the Great Dane?

The Hustler is:
Way faster
much more comfy
the open design doesn't catch the grass clippings around the engine
comes with a Donaldson Filter
has hydro system with twice the redundancy
deck is offset to the left for better close up work
has the controls mounted to the right side instead of the trim side of the mower (talk about a major irritation. What was Dane thinking?)
comes with cup holders (which I use way more than I ever thought I would
Quality of the cut is superior with the Hustler
BacVac is far superior to any Vac system available for the Great Dane.

All that said, my 2 Chariots have been the worst and most expensive purchases I've ever made. By expensive, I mean that they have returned the least amount of money for each dollar invested. The service life on these 2 lemons has been so short, it has almost put me out of business. It most certainly has cost me thousands more than I should've spent on ANYTHING but a Great Dane.

Now, whenever I see a Great Dane on another LCOs trailer, I take comfort in the fact that there goes a man that will NOT be able to compete with me for very long. His lemon Great Dane won't let him. :D

strickdad
12-20-2002, 01:42 PM
seems you have failed to mention that the hustler is also twice as expensive....

The Mowerdude
12-20-2002, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by strickdad
seems you have failed to mention that the hustler is also twice as expensive....

Mine was NOT. It was virtually the same price that I paid for my Danes.

It was within $300.