PDA

View Full Version : soil microbes

Keegan
08-20-2008, 06:00 PM
Ok, this might be a dumb question but I can't find an answer.

Is there ever when there can be too much biology in the soil? putting down compost and compost tea and organic ferts to feed them. Is there ever enough or do these guys have a short life span?

DeepGreenLawn
08-20-2008, 10:19 PM
I don't think so... they can be "disturbed" in many many ways so putting more down is always a good way to keep up the numbers. If you have to many... I guess the over kill just dies from not having food? So no, I don't see having too many good guys being a problem, plus, more good guys means less room for the bad.

growingdeeprootsorganicly
08-21-2008, 05:49 AM
there is sort of too much of a good thing in the sense of to much nutrient cycling
in the soil and making too many soluble nutrients being made available that are not all utilized by the plant before they leach out. theNOFA says you should regulate you OM content to 5-7 % i think for this very reason.
ive never heard of adding too many microorganisms being a bad thing though
i think they will regulate them selves?

Kiril
08-21-2008, 10:21 AM
I think a better question might be, is adding more microbes going to do anything for my soil?

If you already have a balanced microbial conditions in your soil, adding more is just going to throw off that balance, much like adding more chems temporarily throws off nutrient availability. Then over time it will return to the state it was in prior to your microbial boost.