PDA

View Full Version : Bad valve

Toy2
08-20-2008, 06:07 PM
Help.....Here is the problem:

Have a sprinkler system at my house, 6 zones, 3 valves......Toro flow pro valves, zone 1 and 2 handle the front, 1 is for the scrubs, 2 handles the lawn.......I cannot get zone 2 to to come on using the controller, it shows it is running, but its not, it will then go to zone 3.

I replaced the plunger and as soon as I screwed the cap back on and turn the main on it fired up, ran for 20 minutes and went to the next zone 3. Also replaced the solenoid with a new one...

Shut it off and tried to fire it up and nothing happened.......has the entire valve gone bad?

It did this last year and i just turned the knob and it worked fine....thanks for your help.....

Wet_Boots
08-20-2008, 06:13 PM
Buy another valve. It won't be a Flo-Pro, and that's a good thing.

CAPT Stream Rotar
08-20-2008, 06:15 PM
sweet pics bro

sprinklerchris
08-20-2008, 06:22 PM

Have a sprinkler system at my house, 6 zones, 3 valves......Toro flow pro valves, zone 1 and 2 handle the front, 1 is for the scrubs, 2 handles the lawn.......I cannot get zone 2 to to come on using the controller, it shows it is running, but its not, it will then go to zone 3.

I replaced the plunger and as soon as I screwed the cap back on and turn the main on it fired up, ran for 20 minutes and went to the next zone 3. Also replaced the solenoid with a new one...

Shut it off and tried to fire it up and nothing happened.......has the entire valve gone bad?

It did this last year and i just turned the knob and it worked fine....thanks for your help.....

In my experience, the typical failure mode for the FloPro is "failing closed" where you can't even bleed the valve to come on.

Cut the valve out and replace it with another brand. FloPros are nothing but trouble.

CAPT Stream Rotar
08-20-2008, 06:26 PM
In my experience, the typical failure mode for the FloPro is "failing closed" where you can't even bleed the valve to come on.

Cut the valve out and replace it with another brand. FloPros are nothing but trouble.

were those the same flow pro's by toro?

solenoid problems maybe...

diaphram def not hoss.

Wet_Boots
08-20-2008, 06:40 PM
Flo-Pro valves had a number of issues. They tried to imitate the original jar-top, and would have done better to just buy the other valve company a decade sooner than they did.

Waterit
08-20-2008, 06:43 PM
Toy2, they have all lead you in the right direction, something that is very rare and unusual around here.

Cut that POS out and put in a real valve (stay away from the Nitros, tho, unless your last name starts with an "L").

Toy2
08-20-2008, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the quick response, I have a Toro 1'' in-line Jar Top valve handy.....just didn't want to break the shovels out......thanks again folks...:)

Toy2
08-20-2008, 09:56 PM
OK.......spent last 2 hours replacing the valve, put new one in and zone 2 fired up, went to the control panel, went to each zone, and came back to 2 and WTF, it did not come on??????

I messed with the bleed valve on the new one and all is does is fire up zone 1 all over again??

Someone please show me the way.....it has to be something simple......spent $40;00 on parts....and wife is tripping on the St. Aug. being torn up....Help!!!

Without A Drought
08-20-2008, 10:04 PM

Have a sprinkler system at my house, 6 zones, 3 valves.....

ugghh.... huh?...

DanaMac
08-20-2008, 10:08 PM
OK.......spent last 2 hours replacing the valve, put new one in and zone 2 fired up, went to the control panel, went to each zone, and came back to 2 and WTF, it did not come on??????

I messed with the bleed valve on the new one and all is does is fire up zone 1 all over again??

Someone please show me the way.....it has to be something simple......spent $40;00 on parts....and wife is tripping on the St. Aug. being torn up....Help!!!

You can't open the bleed on valve #2, and have zone #1 start up without pipes from #1 hooked to #2. There has to be more to it than what you are describing.

In your first post, you state 6 zones, 3 valves. Nope. Each zone has to have a valve. That's the way it works. Something is seriously messed with your system. call a pro.

Toy2
08-20-2008, 10:36 PM
Dana........6 zones, 3 valves, plus 1 1/4 main off the main house line.

Start of season zone 2 did the same thing, Toro manual stated to counterclock the solenoid in the event it was sticking.....worked the last 6 months....then just stopped.

The 2 valves in the backyard control 4 zones and can be turned on using the valves....when i replaced the valve, it was 1 1/4 line reduced to 1'' for the valve back to 1 1/4 take off. sie by side.......homes in this subdivision were done by the same contractor...now out of business.....home is 10 years old and I've been here 8.....

DanaMac
08-20-2008, 10:40 PM
OK maybe I'm missing something here. Anyone else care to explain since I apparently don't know what I'm talking about? ONE zone needs ONE valve. You can have ONE zone using TWO valves. But I don't know how you get TWO zones with ONE valve.

Waterit
08-20-2008, 10:40 PM
6 zones, 3 valves, math not my strongest point but something definitely doesn't add up here.

Could there possibly be indexing valves installed after each valve? Sounds like this one may be a nominee for CSR's new thread.

DanaMac
08-20-2008, 10:41 PM
6 zones, 3 valves, math not my strongest point but something definitely doesn't add up here.

So I'm not the only one :dizzy:

DanaMac
08-20-2008, 10:42 PM
You can have one valve control two different areas, but they are still fed from the same pipe and same valve. This is a zone or station.

Toy2
08-20-2008, 10:47 PM
You have to remember it was done Texas style, no backflow, nothing.

The yard used to have Bermuda so the valve boxes are visible......when the St. Aug was installed they scalped the front and only one valve box and main valve was visible, I raised both boxes to match the St.Aug.........the back is still Bermuda with the two valve boxes...............so I truly believe the system was done "Mickey Mouse" style....

DanaMac
08-20-2008, 10:52 PM

The yard used to have Bermuda so the valve boxes are visible......when the St. Aug was installed they scalped the front and only one valve box and main valve was visible, I raised both boxes to match the St.Aug.........the back is still Bermuda with the two valve boxes...............so I truly believe the system was done "Mickey Mouse" style....

But even Mickey Mouse Texans know that one zone needs one valve. I still think you may need to call someone local to fix.

And by fix I also mean installing a backflow preventer. No good Texan will touch it if you don't.

Waterit
08-20-2008, 10:54 PM
So I'm not the only one :dizzy:

No, you are not alone. Let's dig a little deeper:

Toy, how many stations on your controller?

Waterit
08-20-2008, 10:55 PM

That's not Texas style - that's homeowner style.

DanaMac
08-20-2008, 10:56 PM
No, you are not alone. Let's dig a little deeper:

Toy, how many stations on your controller?

True. I have had people think they have say 6 zones because the controller states it is a 6. But they only have say 3 and there are only 3 wires in the controller.

Toy2
08-20-2008, 11:05 PM
okay, so 1 and 2 are stations are controlled by 1 valve?

I will call a mexican part/LCO that does sprinkler repair for a large mowing company in town and have him check it out.

If you have any tips for troubleshooting it, let me know, as I do appreciate the feedback...

DanaMac
08-20-2008, 11:07 PM

I will call a mexican part/LCO that does sprinkler repair for a large mowing company in town and have him check it out.

If you have any tips for troubleshooting it, let me know, as I do appreciate the feedback...

Well maybe they wired one valve to terminal #1 and #2, one valve to 3 and 4, and another to 5 and 6.

You still have 3 zones but are wired poorly.

Waterit
08-20-2008, 11:08 PM

Tip #1: open up controller cabinet and see how many wires are actually attached to stations. I'm thinking you'll find 3 wires connected plus a common (COM).

Tip #2: Take a multimeter and ohm out each of the connected station wires - on a 20K scale you should get a reading of .03 to .07 if a valve is present.

Tip #3: Call a professional to look at this for you. Or take some pics of valves and controller with door open exposing wiring and post them.

Stuttering Stan
08-20-2008, 11:21 PM
I am now thoroughly confused. What are you defining as a "zone"? Better yet, forget what I just said. Post pics

Toy2
08-20-2008, 11:30 PM
The controller show six areas, they all work except 2. It will go from 1 at 20min. to 2 at 25min-will not turn sprinklers on, but timer will go though its routine, then to 3, 4,5 and 6.

2 is my problem.

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-20-2008, 11:42 PM
That's not Texas style - that's homeowner style.

Thank you very much to the Great State of Florida.

Let me add it is WACKO< TX HO style.

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-20-2008, 11:44 PM
The controller show six areas, they all work except 2. It will go from 1 at 20min. to 2 at 25min-will not turn sprinklers on, but timer will go though its routine, then to 3, 4,5 and 6.

2 is my problem.

That timer is a candidate as one of the worse ever.

It does have good multistrand in use so who knows what's going on.........

Toy2
08-20-2008, 11:45 PM
Could my problem be the red or yellow wire at the controller, possible short???

I have not done any major digging, so I doubt a wire was cut, and valve has power, I have 3 black wires attached to two black out of the valve, could it be wired wrong?

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-20-2008, 11:48 PM
At this point I'd hire a yankee to winterize it and let it work itself out.........

Toy2
08-20-2008, 11:52 PM
Its sad to think the system was installed by a pro in 98, he supposedly did one side of the street and another pro did the other side according to a neighbor who had his house built in 98.....??????

Like I said before, I can take the jar head off the valve, put it back on and #2 will start spraying, then boom its dead.....

Thanks for your help....

EagleLandscape
08-21-2008, 12:18 AM
solenoid? diaphragm?, ball valve in front of the valve?

bicmudpuppy
08-21-2008, 01:29 AM
If the valve opens after re-assembly and then shuts off, the valve works, except the solenoid isn't firing. I would blame the solenoid (should be able to buy one at either home cheapo or Lowe's) or call it a wiring problem, BUT that controller is real good about anything and EVERYTHING going bad as well. Can you use a multi-meter? and do you own one? With zone 2 "on", you should get 24vac (or a little more). With the wire removed from the controller, you should get an ohm reading as already described. You should also have a backflow device and if it was installed w/o one, the guy doing the work was anything but a "pro". A "con" maybe, but not a "pro".

Waterit
08-21-2008, 01:31 AM
Could my problem be the red or yellow wire at the controller, possible short???

I have not done any major digging, so I doubt a wire was cut, and valve has power, I have 3 black wires attached to two black out of the valve, could it be wired wrong?

The red is zone 1, the yellow zone 2. How do you know valve has power? I wonder where the multi turns into black single-strand.

Enough!

You need a pro. Peter or John, anyone in his area you might recommend?

bicmudpuppy
08-21-2008, 01:37 AM
The red is zone 1, the yellow zone 2. How do you know valve has power? I wonder where the multi turns into black single-strand.

Enough!

You need a pro. Peter or John, anyone in his area you might recommend?

I would bet a 2 beer lunch that it is still multi in the box. The 3 black wires, if you scratched them will be the two whites and the solenoid wire, and the other two blacks will be the solenoid wire and the red "hot" wire that have oxidized, or whatever the correct term is for what happens to wire insulation when it spends time underground and wet.

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-21-2008, 08:26 AM
I would bet a 2 beer lunch that it is still multi in the box. The 3 black wires, if you scratched them will be the two whites and the solenoid wire, and the other two blacks will be the solenoid wire and the red "hot" wire that have oxidized, or whatever the correct term is for what happens to wire insulation when it spends time underground and wet.

ditto.......Waco is 90 miles south of us. Might try calling a local supply house for referral. Interesting fact about Waco. Has one of the largest city Parks in the US. Awesome mountain biking trails in the park but for the very experienced.

Toy2
08-21-2008, 10:15 AM
I might cut the wires back and clean them up, they were in gel caps the first time, and again the second with the new valve.

Toy2
08-21-2008, 10:20 AM
Added the duct tape to keep the bottoms closed, like I said before first of the season #2 didn't fire on start up, Toro book said to counter the solenoid in the event it was jammed.....perfect for the last six months.

Neighbors did the same last year, same Flo-Pro, replaced the plunger and he still is running fine.....

I will check the voltage....glad we got some much needed rain..

Thanks to all of you for the info.."knowledge is power".

DanaMac
08-21-2008, 10:23 AM
Make sure the valve is installed in the correct direction. There should be an arrow showing the water flow direction.

Toy2
08-21-2008, 10:30 AM
This was cut out right at the joints, each was reduced with fittings to the 1 1/4 line on top and 1 1/4 line on bottom/feed.arrow flows to the upper left....I never saw anything like that before....and in my last life I was a lic. plumber....I think thats why I'm intent on fixing it myself.......wife thinks I feel its a sign of weakness to call someone....."its just pipes and water"''''LOL

Might have to suck it up...

Waterit
08-21-2008, 10:35 AM
Make sure the valve is installed in the correct direction. There should be an arrow showing the water flow direction.

Good point, I've seen backwards-installed work mechanically, even work electrically intermitently.

It does look like multi connected to the valve.

DanaMac
08-21-2008, 10:47 AM
Good point, I've seen backwards-installed work mechanically, even work electrically intermitently.

Years ago I fought with a WeatherMatic for about an hour and a half. Grounds keeper had replaced the valve already. Finally I realized he put it in backwards. One of those little lessons.

Waterit
08-21-2008, 11:19 AM
Years ago I fought with a WeatherMatic for about an hour and a half. Grounds keeper had replaced the valve already. Finally I realized he put it in backwards. One of those little lessons.

Back when I landscaped, a new hand wasn't considered experienced until he had lost control and dumped a full wheelbarrow sideways in the worst spot you could pick.

Now we joke that you're not a sprinklerman until you've glued one on backwards. 27 years and still waiting to reach that level:laugh:

DanaMac
08-21-2008, 11:21 AM
Back when I landscaped, a new hand wasn't considered experienced until he had lost control and dumped a full wheelbarrow sideways in the worst spot you could pick.

Now we joke that you're not a sprinklerman until you've glued one on backwards. 27 years and still waiting to reach that level:laugh:

First day on the job learning sprinklers, I built a manifold with 2 backwards. They were threaded and not buried yet so easy fix. So I guess I was a sprinklerman on the first day!!

irrig8r
08-21-2008, 12:47 PM

One of the stranger features of the Flo-Pro in the A/S version (which I'll remind you have worked at my house for 14 years) was that if you installed it backwards all you had to do was switch the A/S cap and the bonnet assembly... they were interchangeable.

Seems like it would be a good idea for more valve manufacturers to adopt... :)

Kiril
08-21-2008, 01:19 PM
Seems like it would be a good idea for more valve manufacturers to adopt... :)

Or you could install the valve right the first time. :laugh:

Toy2
08-21-2008, 01:53 PM
Update....fried the controller????? Must have touched something I should not have, the fuse was burned out, so pulled the one off the cover and still nothing?????WTF!!!!!

So I grabbed a new one at HD, Toro.......replaced the old one.....with new.....fired it up and of course zone #2 is freckin' dead......I give up....father-in-law is stopping by to give his 02 and stick a fork in me....cause I'm freckin' done with it!!!!!

Thanks folks!!!

ontheedge02
08-21-2008, 02:44 PM
Have you tried moving you yellow (zone #2) wire to a different zone on the controller (one that works)? Maybe #2 is your unlucky number. That way you'll know if it is your wire/valve or your controller. I had the same problem on a controller just like that and one side of the module was dead. Now everything works great as long as I skip the bad zone on the controller.

Toy2
08-21-2008, 03:54 PM
Almost got into a fight with in-lawn.....just kidding, he told me to add the hours I've messed with it and add my wage plus parts and I already lost my a$$!!!!!!

So I called someone who can trace these wires and figure out where the other valves are located.......and of course fix it.....

To add salt to the wound...I'm suppose to be on vacation!!!!!:hammerhead:

DanaMac
08-21-2008, 05:10 PM
So I called someone who can trace these wires and figure out where the other valves are located.......and of course fix it.....

Other valves? What other valves? :laugh:

Toy2
08-21-2008, 09:19 PM
Okay, update......my crack supplier was arrested last week, so I have a new dude selling and I think what he gave me two days ago wasn't the real thing??

Now that everyone knows my problem......you can understand my issue with my sprinklers........enough rambling.....puff-puff on the pipe.....

Sprinkler guy I called never showed, so got a beer and went out and looked at my problem....I layed a 10' piece of PVC along where the 1 1/14 pipe was running, and started probing........and probing.....and bam....hit something hollow about 6' away from the 1st valve....about 6'' below was a frecking valve box.......WTF??? Grabbed a shovel and dug it up.....popped the cover and the Flo-pro was staring me right in the face, giving me the finger!!!!

I started trying to dig around the housingr to raise the box and broke the damn valve/joint......so dug a bigger hole and replaced the valve with a new one......so you guys were right.....each zone has to have its own valve......

Whoever installed this mess should be shot!!!!! Puff-Puff...Thanks again..

DanaMac
08-21-2008, 09:23 PM
Puff-Puff...Thanks again..

Glad we could help with the habit. :)

Waterit
08-21-2008, 10:05 PM
Other valves? What other valves? :laugh:

Hey Dana, let's get out while the getting's good!:laugh:

Stuttering Stan
08-21-2008, 10:15 PM
Is the problem with #2 fixed? Are you sure there aren't anymore valves on the property?

Midlo Snow Maker
08-22-2008, 12:16 AM

Have a sprinkler system at my house, 6 zones, 3 valves.........

:clapping:

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/6295/olivedj6.jpg

Kiril
08-22-2008, 12:21 AM
6 wires at the controller ..... not a long shot there are at least 6 valves.

Waterit
08-22-2008, 12:42 AM
so you guys were right.....each zone has to have its own valve......

Thanks for taking the time to point that out to us:laugh: