PDA

View Full Version : Gas or electric hedge trimmer??

STIHL GUY
08-20-2008, 08:47 PM
my lesco dealer has a kawasaki hedge trimmer for a real good price. I will only be using it 2-3 times a year and was wondering if i should buy it or get an electric one. I know the gas one will be more powerful and i wont have to worry about cords but i dont want it to get ruined form sitting for long periods when its not in use.

Also is there anything i can do to the gas power hedge trimmer after use so it wont get all gummed up?? and messed up??

bohiaa
08-20-2008, 08:56 PM
When I wasn't a LCO, I would only purchase the good stuff, I had an ECHO weedeater, for my home. it one time sat for 2 years. with out any problems, Like you I would only use it once a week and sometimes every other week.

Its nice NOT to deal with cords and such.

Go For it.

STIHL GUY
08-20-2008, 09:21 PM
ok thanks i want a gas one but dont want to spend the money on something if its going to get ruind from sitting too long

Grits
08-20-2008, 10:24 PM
Gas powered, for sure. Electrics are for senior citizens. :)

dura to the max
08-20-2008, 10:29 PM
go with gas. much better machine, and it wont be a pain to use. i would drain the unused fuel as much as possible, then run the machine dry, after it's dry choke it and get it to run some more. as long as you get ALL the gas out you shouldnt have any problems.

Mike's LawnCare Landscape
08-20-2008, 10:52 PM
Just wait, soon as you get a gas one you will be using it way more offten then you think!!

Roger
08-21-2008, 06:29 AM
... Electrics are for senior citizens. :)

What does that mean?

GreenAcresLC
08-21-2008, 10:45 AM
I posed this exact question a few months back and got several good responses saying go gas...I ended up going with a Stihl, been a good machine.

Beware of answers like I got, don't let 'em get ya down. Here's an example, copied directly from the thread I posted:

lawnpro724
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you have to ask then this may be the wrong business for you.

Keep asking questions, and try not to let idiots like this one bother you. I never replied directly to this "gentleman", but plenty of others did, and to those I'm thankful.

JW
Green Acres Lawn Service, LLC

STIHL GUY
08-21-2008, 11:23 AM
thanks for all the help guys

All_Toro_4ME
08-21-2008, 12:16 PM
go for the gas. If you're worried about the engine gunk, just spray some engine cleaner on it when the unit is cool. Should get the gunk and oil deposits off, could wipe excess off with a shop rag if you like.

larryinalabama
08-21-2008, 12:28 PM
What does that mean?

The time it takes to get the cord out, cut he cord a clouple of times rewind the cord will turn you into a senior

MarcSmith
08-21-2008, 12:37 PM
i dislike the electric ones. always a pita lugging the generator around. however.... The Little wonder electric units are nice. last forever, and are very light an easy to use. commercial grade...

Just keep some electrical tape on hand if you end buying electric. I have one left on campus. and I keep praying for the day its dies. I could be a master electrician as many cables I have spliced..

I just purchased two. of the HCA 26 echos....very nice units, and I also have an HC 180 on campus, and an HC 150 that I purchase new in 95 with my own landscape business, I kept it, and it still runs great today. just like others have said...when you are done, dump the gas into a blower or back into the gas can, and then let it run dry. never any problems.

Grits
08-21-2008, 05:50 PM
What does that mean?

It means that old retired homeowners use them. There is nothing wrong with it, just not in the commercial field.

TomberLawn
08-21-2008, 06:12 PM
To keep it in good condition between uses, drain the gas out of it back into your can and then let it run until it shuts off. It might burn a dime's worth of gas, but save you many $$ of repairs. Now, I don't always practice what I preach, or at least somebody in my family didn't. I had a Mantis tiller sit with gas in it for about 2 years and cranked up on the 2nd pull of the rope. It's got an Echo engine. I did drain the gunky gas out of it before starting it, but the carb wasn't gunked up or anything.

TXNSLighting
08-21-2008, 07:24 PM
my lesco dealer has a kawasaki hedge trimmer for a real good price. I will only be using it 2-3 times a year and was wondering if i should buy it or get an electric one. I know the gas one will be more powerful and i wont have to worry about cords but i dont want it to get ruined form sitting for long periods when its not in use.

Also is there anything i can do to the gas power hedge trimmer after use so it wont get all gummed up?? and messed up??

are you kidding??! Gas, you want to look professional dont you?

Roger
08-21-2008, 08:47 PM
It means that old retired homeowners use them. ...

I am well past the senior status. Does that mean I should give up my good Stihl HS80, and buy an electric model?

I know, I know, ... just yanking your chain a bit here. Sometimes, those of us in another age group are considered without capability of using good tools. Don't sell us short. I will be happy to compare my trimming results with anybody.

greenmonster304
08-21-2008, 09:52 PM
i dislike the electric ones. always a pita lugging the generator around. however.... The Little wonder electric units are nice. last forever, and are very light an easy to use. commercial grade...

Just keep some electrical tape on hand if you end buying electric. I have one left on campus. and I keep praying for the day its dies. I could be a master electrician as many cables I have spliced..

I just purchased two. of the HCA 26 echos....very nice units, and I also have an HC 180 on campus, and an HC 150 that I purchase new in 95 with my own landscape business, I kept it, and it still runs great today. just like others have said...when you are done, dump the gas into a blower or back into the gas can, and then let it run dry. never any problems.

My father has a little wonder he bought in 1970 I still use it twice a year to cut my privet. all the pros around my area use electric little wonders and want the old ones like my fathers with no safeties. And the east end of long island is the land of finely manicured hedges

STIHL GUY
08-21-2008, 10:53 PM
i keep thinking about the electric ones. they are lighter and less maintence but i dont have a generator and a gas hedge trimmer seems like a better idea without all the chords

Father&Daughter Lawn care
08-22-2008, 12:32 PM
Go with the gas model. Easier to use and much more time efficient. Remember in our line of work....time is money.

hosejockey2002
08-22-2008, 01:07 PM
If you use quality gas and a good 2-stroke oil sitting for a period of time should not be a problem. I have a Stihl blower/vac that I use only occasionally. I use Stihl partial synthetic oil with built-in fuel stabilizer, and that blower/vac can sit with gas in it for six months and start right up.

TCS Landscaping
08-22-2008, 03:33 PM
Hmm, I read a post a while back about a crew that used only electric trimmers. They were happy with the cut and enjoyed the lightness that and electric has to offer. They could reach out and cut the tops of hedges with one hand.

That being said I own a gas hedge trimmer.

STIHL GUY
08-22-2008, 10:32 PM
ok so i took your advise and went out and got a Kawasaki KHT600S. The dealer wanted $170 for it but we got him down to $220 out the door.

GreenAcresLC
08-22-2008, 11:46 PM
Uhhh, I think I know what u mean here, Stihl Guy, but check the numbers on your last post...

STIHL GUY
08-23-2008, 12:04 AM
ohh sory aboutt that he wanted 270 but i got it for 220. i guess i need to proofread

kleankutslawn
08-23-2008, 12:20 AM
ohh sory aboutt that he wanted 270 but i got it for 220. i guess i need to proofread

let us know how you like it

STIHL GUY
08-23-2008, 12:21 AM
ok im going to try it out sunday in my yard

STIHL GUY
08-24-2008, 09:37 PM
I tried it out today and it worked great. I didnt even need to choke it just pushed the primer bulb a few times. It has plenty of power and damn it is sharp

Grits
08-24-2008, 10:39 PM
I am well past the senior status. Does that mean I should give up my good Stihl HS80, and buy an electric model?

I know, I know, ... just yanking your chain a bit here. Sometimes, those of us in another age group are considered without capability of using good tools. Don't sell us short. I will be happy to compare my trimming results with anybody.

LOL! OK, ok. Around here, old people use them. You must be the "cool old guy" in the neighborhood!