PDA

View Full Version : CAT saves the day

qps
08-20-2008, 10:17 PM
Well...well...well....the contractor doing the site work next door to my shop came strolling over this morning....after I heard his 1845 CASE...constantly dieing...I figured he was just killing it in the pea gravel piles...but...the story goes like this....ugh...excuse me....do you own that machine....yes...would you be interested in helping us prep this 6,000 s.f. site...our CASE just came out of the shop and it won't stay running...slow day any ways so what the heck...sure...you could see the amazment in the workers eyes as the MTL pushed huge piles of pea gravel around the job site that would stall the wheel machine.....to add insult to injury I had to push his CASE loader up on his trailer.....3 hrs. later...job done...my thoughts kept drifting to KSSS and dozerman and there brand X machines.....best of all...my undercarraige did not explode as one would think....ahhh...life is good:laugh:

bobcat_ron
08-20-2008, 10:19 PM
Damn Case's, they and their useless owners think they are capable of doing anything.

I would love to work in Pea Gravel someday.

Can't Attempt Serious Excavation.

Can't Afford Something Else.

qps
08-20-2008, 10:45 PM
Damn Case's, they and their useless owners think they are capable of doing anything.

I would love to work in Pea Gravel someday.

Can't Attempt Serious Excavation.

Can't Afford Something Else.

Preach the word brother Ron......:cool2:
on a side note I know I'm in for a verbal a$$ kicking when KSSS see's this....

ksss
08-20-2008, 10:54 PM
Well...well...well....the contractor doing the site work next door to my shop came strolling over this morning....after I heard his 1845 CASE...constantly dieing...I figured he was just killing it in the pea gravel piles...but...the story goes like this....ugh...excuse me....do you own that machine....yes...would you be interested in helping us prep this 6,000 s.f. site...our CASE just came out of the shop and it won't stay running...slow day any ways so what the heck...sure...you could see the amazment in the workers eyes as the MTL pushed huge piles of pea gravel around the job site that would stall the wheel machine.....to add insult to injury I had to push his CASE loader up on his trailer.....3 hrs. later...job done...my thoughts kept drifting to KSSS and dozerman and there brand X machines.....best of all...my undercarraige did not explode as one would think....ahhh...life is good:laugh:

NICE...........This certainly is not apples to apples comparison. The 1845C had been in production since the early 90's. Since you did not specify a C model it could be as old as early 80s if it is a straight 1845. Certainly things are going to break down. The 1845C generally considered one of the best skid steers ever made and if resale is any indication than it certainly is an easy arguement to make. The 1845C made 56 hp nonturboed and had a ROC of 1750. The 297C makes 90 hp I believe and I don't know the ROC but I am sure it is around 3000 at 35%. I would hope that you can out push it. The 1845C likely costs, depending on the year, 20-22K new. It is still worth 10K in any usable condition. Good luck getting that kind of return of investment on your CAT. I am glad we are on your mind though. Gives me that wanted feeling.:cool2: Maybe you can follow the CASE guys around and wait for their machines to go down and pickup their work.:cool2: I need a beer.:laugh:

KTM
08-20-2008, 11:17 PM
I remember our 1845C costing 16k back in the early 90's. it is still floating around town several owners later and very beat, and I know it sold a few years ago for 9k and I bet that guy could get that or close to that for it. very good return investment

qps
08-20-2008, 11:23 PM
NICE...........This certainly is not apples to apples comparison. The 1845C had been in production since the early 90's. Since you did not specify a C model it could be as old as early 80s if it is a straight 1845. Certainly things are going to break down. The 1845C generally considered one of the best skid steers ever made and if resale is any indication than it certainly is an easy arguement to make. The 1845C made 56 hp nonturboed and had a ROC of 1750. The 297C makes 90 hp I believe and I don't know the ROC but I am sure it is around 3000 at 35%. I would hope that you can out push it. The 1845C likely costs, depending on the year, 20-22K new. It is still worth 10K in any usable condition. Good luck getting that kind of return of investment on your CAT. I am glad we are on your mind though. Gives me that wanted feeling.:cool2: Maybe you can follow the CASE guys around and wait for their machines to go down and pickup their work.:cool2: I need a beer.:laugh:

I believe it was a 1845C...I was to busy being so smug with myself to notice....it only had 1300 hours on it...and the guy bought for a song so he got a good deal...BUT come on.....you know I couldn't let this go by without a good ribbing....that's a good ideal about following the CASE guys around...but there's just not that many around:cry:.....to tell the truth but butt was itching when I thought of you guy's...on a serious note....the CAT is a much larger machine than I need, a smaller more nibble machine would have been perfect for this job...I know...I know...I can't believe I'm saying it.....after the CASE was fixed...3 hrs later...a loose wire on the fuel pump or something like that...the ole boy was flying around the jobsite....lesson learned is the biggest isn't always the best for production....there you happy now......

wanabe
08-20-2008, 11:23 PM
And what exactly is your point of this post? What did cat make durring the 1845 years? Oh, thats right, they did not even have a skid back then. So really, you should compare a 1845 to a long handled shovel. Thats what you would of been using if you had the cat attude problem black then. How about comparing a new 450 CTL to your cat? I am just glad that you were able to push pea gravel. We all know how hard it is to push that stuff!

qps
08-20-2008, 11:26 PM
And what exactly is your point of this post? What did cat make durring the 1845 years? Oh, thats right, they did not even have a skid back then. So really, you should compare a 1845 to a long handled shovel. Thats what you would of been using if you had the cat attude problem black then. How about comparing a new 450 CTL to your cat? I am just glad that you were able to push pea gravel. We all know how hard it is to push that stuff!

First of all....kiss my A$$.....I was ribbing a few friend's on here....you not included......you can take your attitude and stick where the sun doesn't shine...

Junior M
08-20-2008, 11:27 PM
i feel this thread being deleted.....

ksss
08-20-2008, 11:34 PM
I believe it was a 1845C...I was to busy being so smug with myself to notice....it only had 1300 hours on it...and the guy bought for a song so he got a good deal...BUT come on.....you know I couldn't let this go by without a good ribbing....that's a good ideal about following the CASE guys around...but there's just not that many around:cry:.....to tell the truth but butt was itching when I thought of you guy's...on a serious note....the CAT is a much larger machine than I need, a smaller more nibble machine would have been perfect for this job...I know...I know...I can't believe I'm saying it.....after the CASE was fixed...3 hrs later...a loose wire on the fuel pump or something like that...the ole boy was flying around the jobsite....lesson learned is the biggest isn't always the best for production....there you happy now......

Why yes Tim I am happy.......except about that butt iching thing...you know they make creams for that..........Thank you.:clapping: I am still going to have another beer though.:drinkup:

qps
08-20-2008, 11:40 PM
Why yes Tim I am happy.......except about that butt iching thing...you know they make creams for that..........Thank you.:clapping: I am still going to have another beer though.:drinkup:

Hey....you'll never get nothing but the straight and skinny from this guy....good or bad....more times than not it has worked for me....and on a side note...if the friggen CASE dealer could keep a salesman for more than six months at a time I would be demoing a CASE 450 or whatever they call it....seriously...these guys have a higher turnover than a used car lot.....:confused:...dozerman has had maybe three salesmen in the past 6-12 months....I guess it just the market...either you produce or they show you the door....

bobcat_ron
08-21-2008, 12:18 AM
Typical Case lunatics, they feel repressed by all the years of feeling boxed in and vibrated to death in their old loaders, they need to make themselves feel big by rebounding big time on clever Case facts and figures, when they know the Cat Yellow light is so much more inviting and soothing.

mrsops
08-21-2008, 12:19 AM
Typical Case lunatics, they feel repressed by all the years of feeling boxed in and vibrated to death in their old loaders, they need to make themselves feel big by rebounding big time on clever Case facts and figures, when they know the Cat Yellow light is so much more inviting and soothing.

aint that the truth i cant wait to get this cat on demo

Scag48
08-21-2008, 12:27 AM

Cat was building D8's, scrapers, and haul trucks among other equipment that built the infrastructure of this country long before Case construction equipment was a twinkle in the farm tractor division's eye. Take it easy, he was just joking around.

ksss
08-21-2008, 12:31 AM

I must admit that made me laugh. I am experiencing the legendary CAT service. Tommorrow at 0700 the big CAT truck rolls into Power Tan land to finish my laser grader install they started the end May. I cant wait for the legendary CAT invoice. I plan on pointing to the MACK and tell them they should have finished a couple weeks earlier before the MACK hit the yard.

Scag48
08-21-2008, 12:35 AM
I was just thinking about your laser setup. Figured it would've been done by now. Well, better late than never. We all know the Case boys aren't even capable of installing such high tech equipment, they're still putting plastic mailbox flags in their excavators. There, now you need another beer. :drinkup:

bobcat_ron
08-21-2008, 12:35 AM
That's what happens when you have a Cat product on a non-Cat machine, they bite you in the arse for that, consider it an omen, or at best punishment from God Almighty, he told me last night in a dream, he loves Cat skid steers.
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa284/philly_hill_billy/wbcsign.png

ksss
08-21-2008, 12:52 AM
That's what happens when you have a Cat product on a non-Cat machine, they bite you in the arse for that, consider it an omen, or at best punishment from God Almighty, he told me last night in a dream, he loves Cat skid steers.

Hang on for this one Ron. The attachment is not a CAT product. All the laser components are Apache. Nothing CAT has installed has been CAT. They do get pissed when I have them park their trucks behind the shop.

Junior M
08-21-2008, 08:12 AM
well isnt that sign just brand racist!! I was trying so hard to find a sign that said god hates cat or case but i couldnt find anything... NO STUPID COMMENTS ABOUT NOT BEING ABLE TO FIND THEM SIGNS!! (KSSS OR BOBCAT RON!!!!) HAHAHAHA

ccstrebe
08-21-2008, 10:22 AM
They do get pissed when I have them park their trucks behind the shop.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

CAT powered
08-21-2008, 12:04 PM
Well that's because God doesn't hate CAT and CASE, jlm. Just bobcat.

Junior M
08-21-2008, 05:03 PM
Well that's because God doesn't hate CAT and CASE, jlm. Just bobcat.
gosh!! arent yall all just brand racist!!! gosh!!

dozerman21
08-21-2008, 09:00 PM
Well...well...well....the contractor doing the site work next door to my shop came strolling over this morning....after I heard his 1845 CASE...constantly dieing...I figured he was just killing it in the pea gravel piles...but...the story goes like this....ugh...excuse me....do you own that machine....yes...would you be interested in helping us prep this 6,000 s.f. site...our CASE just came out of the shop and it won't stay running...slow day any ways so what the heck...sure...you could see the amazment in the workers eyes as the MTL pushed huge piles of pea gravel around the job site that would stall the wheel machine.....to add insult to injury I had to push his CASE loader up on his trailer.....3 hrs. later...job done...my thoughts kept drifting to KSSS and dozerman and there brand X machines.....best of all...my undercarraige did not explode as one would think....ahhh...life is good:laugh

Dayum, I'm away for a couple of days and QPS is getting away with those jabs! It looks like it worked out for everybody... the workers got their prep finished and the Cat didn't have to push anything more than pea fill, avoiding embarrassment!:cool2: You didn't charge them CTL/MTL hourly rates using that little bucket did you?:laugh: I saw the poured floor from the road today... looks like a nice pad.

qps
08-21-2008, 10:56 PM
Dayum, I'm away for a couple of days and QPS is getting away with those jabs! It looks like it worked out for everybody... the workers got their prep finished and the Cat didn't have to push anything more than pea fill, avoiding embarrassment!:cool2: You didn't charge them CTL/MTL hourly rates using that little bucket did you?:laugh: I saw the poured floor from the road today... looks like a nice pad.

Since I had to push his loader on the trailer....which then proceeded to roll right back off and almost ran into me:laugh:....I charged him double for buying a CASE product...I knew he had a lot of cash since only the high rollers...( or at least the ones I know ) have CASE products....plus I had to charge extra so when my undercarriage explodes I can replace it.....I did let him slide on the travel time...seeing how it was only 45 seconds...now the truth...75.00 an hours....we was working around the shop since it's so dry out so it was no big deal.....thank god they didn't ask me to move any dirt as I doubt I could have:weightlifter:.....by the why...how big of a crane does it take to move a deere loader broke down on a job site....:laugh:..gotcha.....

qps
08-21-2008, 10:57 PM
Cat was building D8's, scrapers, and haul trucks among other equipment that built the infrastructure of this country long before Case construction equipment was a twinkle in the farm tractor division's eye. Take it easy, he was just joking around.

Thanks my fellow Cat lover....:laugh:

qps
08-21-2008, 11:01 PM
All jokes aside this is the part of this site I enjoy....friendly jabs back and forth without some nitwit getting his panties in a wad......If DM can hook me up with his new salesman I'll try a 450 and give my honest opnion......I can't say I've seen one out somewhere but maybe he has since he's the real excavating type.....

dozerman21
08-21-2008, 11:25 PM
All jokes aside this is the part of this site I enjoy....friendly jabs back and forth without some nitwit getting his panties in a wad......If DM can hook me up with his new salesman I'll try a 450 and give my honest opnion......I can't say I've seen one out somewhere but maybe he has since he's the real excavating type.....

I can't debate that... it's been a revolving door the last few years. I understand it to a point though. New guy living on commission trying to sell equipment in a down market. I know it's tough and I'll give them a free pass on the last 2 or 3, but not all of them. We had the same salesman for 15-20 years at one point. I will demo a 440CT sometime. I think a smaller machine would be more practical in most of my work. If I ever need a bigger machine I'll just borrow QPS's new 299C (you know you'll have one sooner than later... just make sure they give you Colts suite tickets to a better game this time.:cool2: And no, I'm not too proud to sit in the Cat suite for a game. KSSS might even fly out if you could score Colts/Patsies tickets. I'm sure he could be a Colts fan for a day!).

AWJ Services
08-21-2008, 11:44 PM
Sooooooo the Cat only stood a chance against a broken down Case?

Canon Landscaping
08-21-2008, 11:59 PM
Cough it up i bet it belongs to cat your knees must be sore.

wanabe
08-22-2008, 12:25 AM
Qps, you really are a piece of work. I guess you can't show me a skid that cat produced in the 1845 days, so now I am a "nitwit". Nice! But hey, cat had a D8 back then. I am sure that would have worked for this job, even though you said that your machine was almost too big? I guess I just don't get how that works out. But I will admit that your machine is just so bad @ss pushing pea gravel out. Whats on tap next? Pushing a pile of sand? Keep us posted about that one! And case has been arround for a long time. Just look at the case steam engines. It was machines like that that built the world.

CarterKraft
08-22-2008, 12:55 AM
just to help upset as many people as I can...

If CASE is so great for building machines for such a long time why are they slow to upgrade?

I can remember buying brand new TF300's with 40 year old Wisconsin engines.

To me (remember I'm young) the machines brute strength takes a back seat to other things now.

Things like A/C cabs, pliot joysticks, suspension, visibillity, ease of maintinance etc. is what I think is a good feature, being able to last 20 years without some repairs is a pipe dream.

I have a pretty new BMW that doesn't like to get too far away from the shop, but when I drop the hammer in a powerslide with a trunk full of groceries and a screaming wife it's all worth it.

qps
08-22-2008, 07:38 AM
Qps, you really are a piece of work. I guess you can't show me a skid that cat produced in the 1845 days, so now I am a "nitwit". Nice! But hey, cat had a D8 back then. I am sure that would have worked for this job, even though you said that your machine was almost too big? I guess I just don't get how that works out. But I will admit that your machine is just so bad @ss pushing pea gravel out. Whats on tap next? Pushing a pile of sand? Keep us posted about that one! And case has been arround for a long time. Just look at the case steam engines. It was machines like that that built the world.

Sorry for calling you a nitwit......Please refer to my last response to your ******ed post....by the way please post us some pic's of your business and the equipment you own...I always enjoy looking at iron....looking back at some of your other post you might feel more at home at HEF...just a suggestion.....my reason for starting this thread was to have a laugh with a few friends, not to bash any other brands, but as always there's the one "kid" that always gives the knee jerk response before knowing all the facts about someone....about admitting they maybe my machine is overkill...your reponse to that tells me your the type that can never admit that maybe there not always right....you should change your name from wanabe.....to knowitall......but wanabe is probably a good fit also....

qps
08-22-2008, 07:42 AM
Sooooooo the Cat only stood a chance against a broken down Case?

yep......it all fairness it was just a loose wire...after the repair it was running like a champ....

bobcat_ron
08-22-2008, 11:20 AM
Oh quit apologizing you bunch of sissies, just be glad QPS's neighbour wasn't a Boobcrap owner.

wanabe
08-22-2008, 01:51 PM
I have a couple pics on here somewhere, but not sure where. I don't operate full time, due to the fact that I still work another job for the ins. and retirement, plus I still farm 1200 acres. And I pour and finish concrete more than I operate, as there is more money to be made there in my neck of the woods, and more work. But hey, now I am just a "kid" who knows nothing in your view. Well guess what? I personally don't GAF about what you "think"! I move more material in 12 hours than you will think about moving in a lifetime. Want the facts on that one? Just let me know! When I go to work every day they put me in charge of over 15 mil worth of equipment. They must think I know a little. I have ran about every brand of skid out there, and there is realy no machine that is just that much better than the other mfg. Yes, some have more/less power, more/less features, but at the end of the day they all get the job done. Providing that there is a good operator in it. In my younger days, all we had was bobcat, case, green deere, and that was it. I figured out real quick that they all were better than a shovel, and that they all got the job done. But where was cat back in the day???? Or did you chose to use one of the other brands?

bobcat_ron
08-22-2008, 02:31 PM
But where was cat back in the day???? Or did you chose to use one of the other brands?

Cat was waiting silently on the side lines, then they sent their best dealer reps to ask Cat customers what they wanted and needed in a skid steer (anti-stall was my opinion) so Cat could build a skid steer of their own of their own design and using patents that ran out from other companies.
Sure, the A series sucked, but in the 10 years they have had their skid steers out, they made one hell alot of attempts to right the wrongs, they made more changes in 10 years then any company ever made in 20 years.

I have also run every name under the sun, and the Cat's are the only name that appeals to my needs and "wants".

But hey, that's just my opinion, and opinions are like hairy armpits, everyone has them, and they always stink.

I just like to shave my pits, that's all. :waving:

qps
08-22-2008, 04:04 PM
I have a couple pics on here somewhere, but not sure where. I don't operate full time, due to the fact that I still work another job for the ins. and retirement, plus I still farm 1200 acres. And I pour and finish concrete more than I operate, as there is more money to be made there in my neck of the woods, and more work. But hey, now I am just a "kid" who knows nothing in your view. Well guess what? I personally don't GAF about what you "think"! I move more material in 12 hours than you will think about moving in a lifetime. Want the facts on that one? Just let me know! When I go to work every day they put me in charge of over 15 mil worth of equipment. They must think I know a little. I have ran about every brand of skid out there, and there is realy no machine that is just that much better than the other mfg. Yes, some have more/less power, more/less features, but at the end of the day they all get the job done. Providing that there is a good operator in it. In my younger days, all we had was bobcat, case, green deere, and that was it. I figured out real quick that they all were better than a shovel, and that they all got the job done. But where was cat back in the day???? Or did you chose to use one of the other brands?

You just sumed up exactly what I was saying in my other post...all have there good and bad, but you choose to bash one brand over the other as I was only poking some fun....but if you fire a shot over the bow...expect one in return........enjoy life and relax....the kid comment was just an assumption on my part on reviewing your other post and reponses here...you must work one hell of a day is all I can say, and the parts guy at autozone also is entrusted to millions of dollars of parts and equipment...:laugh:...just kidding....

iron peddler
08-22-2008, 05:08 PM
i don't care who you are that's funny right there!!!!:clapping:

Junior M
08-22-2008, 05:10 PM
can we see some pics of this 15 million dollars worth of equipment you are over? and all this dirt that you move? i for some reason have a hard time believing this one while you still farm 1200 acres and finish concrete....;):rolleyes:

wanabe
08-22-2008, 08:00 PM
Nope, not dirt but coal. Just under 19,000 tons at a time. I am sure you know what I do now? I am salaried, and usually am just a extra person that works 2-3 days a week. It works out to be $1582.xx a week, based on a 40 hr week. Some of my co workers are averaging over $2800 per week. I run 70 hours some weeks, but most are in the 20-24 hr range. One thing to think about is that alot of my "work" days are nights and weekends, so that is how I am able to do what I do durring the week. I would love to run full time in the dirt, but just can not pass up that kind of money and the ins. And farming 1200 acres is not a big issue, as we notill a lot and farm with 30 ft equipment, and all the ground is in a 1 mile radius of home. And the bins and elevator/fertilizer/seed plant are all in the 1 mile radious.

qps
08-22-2008, 11:51 PM
Nope, not dirt but coal. Just under 19,000 tons at a time. I am sure you know what I do now? I am salaried, and usually am just a extra person that works 2-3 days a week. It works out to be $1582.xx a week, based on a 40 hr week. Some of my co workers are averaging over $2800 per week. I run 70 hours some weeks, but most are in the 20-24 hr range. One thing to think about is that alot of my "work" days are nights and weekends, so that is how I am able to do what I do durring the week. I would love to run full time in the dirt, but just can not pass up that kind of money and the ins. And farming 1200 acres is not a big issue, as we notill a lot and farm with 30 ft equipment, and all the ground is in a 1 mile radius of home. And the bins and elevator/fertilizer/seed plant are all in the 1 mile radious.

Yep..that's a pretty good paycheck......:cool2:

Junior M
08-23-2008, 12:07 AM
I come from farm country and am related to a couple farmers and that is alot of land to upkeep, even with no till, on the side because you have to work when you can not just when you want to like for example if you need to plant friday and it rains friday and you decide to do it saturday and your other "job" calls what are you goin to do? just let the fields set there and fall behind?

btw what about some pics of your operations?

wanabe
08-23-2008, 01:28 PM
We get to take 8 days off a month. any time we need them, no questions asked. I know that seems like a lot, but most normal 5 day a week jobs get two off days a week. Then after a day off, I am placed at the bottom of the list, so it usually ends up with a few more days off. I also have personal leave days, and several vacation days to use. I will take some pics this fall, and try to get them posted on here. Taking pics is usually the last thing on my mind when I am running 90MPH!

RockSet N' Grade
08-23-2008, 04:36 PM
So wannabe......sounds like open pit coal to me. I used to be a "soft-rocker" myself, but I worked down the shafts....second highest entry portals in the world......only higher entry portals than our mines were in Peru. And for you, QPS, left to your own devices.....you sure can stir the pot :). I'm wondering when you stir the pot like that if you have your case hat on and potato earrings in place? AND, I will stick my little neck out even further......you wanna know the best equipment out there? Well, here it is: the one that is paying for itself or the one that is paid for!! Plain and simple.....kinda like me.

CarterKraft
08-23-2008, 06:10 PM
what I have to know is what brand of equipment are you guys using to excavate the coal?

Surely not something in Illinois other than CAT right?

qps
08-23-2008, 07:09 PM
So wannabe......sounds like open pit coal to me. I used to be a "soft-rocker" myself, but I worked down the shafts....second highest entry portals in the world......only higher entry portals than our mines were in Peru. And for you, QPS, left to your own devices.....you sure can stir the pot :). I'm wondering when you stir the pot like that if you have your case hat on and potato earrings in place? AND, I will stick my little neck out even further......you wanna know the best equipment out there? Well, here it is: the one that is paying for itself or the one that is paid for!! Plain and simple.....kinda like me.

I guess in the future I'll keep my post more on the serious side as this one was blown completely out of porportion, I never claimed I have ever owned the "best" of anything, but maybe it came across that way on the keyboard..........I dunno...........:waving::waving:

AWJ Services
08-23-2008, 07:22 PM
I guess in the future I'll keep my post more on the serious side as this one was blown completely out of porportion, I never claimed I have ever owned the "best" of anything, but maybe it came across that way on the keyboard..........I dunno...........

I thought it was pretty funny my self.
Things get way too serious sometimes.
If I cannot badger guys without them getting mad then I would just as well go somewhere less stressful.:drinkup:

wanabe
08-23-2008, 07:23 PM
Nope, don't work in a mine, but I move what they produce. But a good guess! Most of it is from a massive mine called Black Thunder Mine, which is a massive strip mine.

qps
08-23-2008, 10:39 PM
I thought it was pretty funny my self.
Things get way too serious sometimes.
If I cannot badger guys without them getting mad then I would just as well go somewhere less stressful.:drinkup:

Exactly my thoughts, wasn't stirring the pot, but if provoked just be willing to take what you give...

stuvecorp
08-24-2008, 12:55 PM
Exactly my thoughts, wasn't stirring the pot, but if provoked just be willing to take what you give...

I thought it was more a playful jab at the Power Tan, not worth getting fired up for?