PDA

View Full Version : Excessive water pressure

srm077
08-20-2008, 09:46 PM
This is my first post but I have been a long time lurker...

I just purchased a new home with a contractor installed irrigation system using all Rain Bird parts. I noticed that my rotors are not spraying that great of a pattern and was looking for possible causes. I think it is related to excessive water pressure. My static pressure at a hose bib is 110 PSI and flow is about 20 gpm. My irrigation system lines are 1 inch poly with 1/2 inch connections to the heads. The heads are Rainbird 5000's with the blue 2.0 nozzle, valves are Rainbird 100 DV's. Backflow preventer is a Watts 007M1 QT installed between the meter and main valve. There is no pressure reducer on the system. Per my meter- my zones are using about 14 gallons per minute with 6 rotors running.

I am thinking of installing a pressure reducer or trying the Rainbird 5004 + PRS heads with the built in pressure regulator.

Any thoughts from the pro's? Also- it it common not to use clamps on the smaller poly lines that run to the heads?

Thanks again in advance!

-Scott

DanaMac
08-20-2008, 09:49 PM
This is my first post but I have been a long time lurker...

I just purchased a new home with a contractor installed irrigation system using all Rain Bird parts. I noticed that my rotors are not spraying that great of a pattern and was looking for possible causes. I think it is related to excessive water pressure. My static pressure at a hose bib is 110 PSI and flow is about 20 gpm. My irrigation system lines are 1 inch poly with 1/2 inch connections to the heads. The heads are Rainbird 5000's with the blue 2.0 nozzle, valves are Rainbird 100 DV's. Backflow preventer is a Watts 007M1 QT installed between the meter and main valve. There is no pressure reducer on the system. Per my meter- my zones are using about 14 gallons per minute with 6 rotors running.

I am thinking of installing a pressure reducer or trying the Rainbird 5004 + PRS heads with the built in pressure regulator.

Any thoughts from the pro's? Also- it it common not to use clamps on the smaller poly lines that run to the heads?

Thanks again in advance!

-Scott

Install a pressure regulator. Especially with the RB DV valves. They slam shut faster than most valves, which spikes the pressure for a brief moment at the valve. The valves will wear out faster, and you could get a broken manifold or valve.

The smaller pipe feeding the heads is swing/funny pipe and no it does not need clamps. (if done properly)

srm077
08-20-2008, 09:52 PM
What pressure regulator should I purchase? Also- is there anyway to measure dynamic pressure at the last head in the zone?

DanaMac
08-20-2008, 09:54 PM
What pressure regulator should I purchase? Also- is there anyway to measure dynamic pressure at the last head in the zone?

Brass PRV usually made by Watts or Wilkins. Don't know model #s.

yes with a pitot tube and pressure gauge. Prepare to get wet when you do it.

Waterit
08-20-2008, 09:57 PM
I can't believe it - straight-up advice to a HO with NO sarcasm? Dana, you're in too good a mood, what's up?:)

DanaMac
08-20-2008, 10:04 PM
I can't believe it - straight-up advice to a HO with NO sarcasm? Dana, you're in too good a mood, what's up?:)

Because he absolutely knew his s***. He knew what he was talkin' about.

also it's lightly raining, good dinner, easy day

srm077
08-20-2008, 10:05 PM
How do you know I'm not in the Green business? I do not install irrigation systems for a living and was going to call out local company to fix my "Professionally" installed system. The company that installed it is a local landscaping company and thus far- I am unimpressed with the system they installed. I understand that the builder most likely did not give them adequate budget to complete the system.

CAPT Stream Rotar
08-20-2008, 10:07 PM
dude did his homework..

DanaMac
08-20-2008, 10:08 PM
dude did his homework..

Exactly. gotta give him props for it. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Waterit
08-20-2008, 10:10 PM
srm077, you are that most rare of homeowners: one who actually knows what he's talking about AND can ask a question that is answerable.

CAPT Stream Rotar
08-20-2008, 10:12 PM
no doubt....

if you guys were in this situation, would a flow control valve help?

i never used them unless on big projects.

Waterit
08-20-2008, 10:14 PM
no doubt....

if you guys were in this situation, would a flow control valve help?

i never used them unless on big projects.

Might, but pressreg better and more efficient answer.

CAPT Stream Rotar
08-20-2008, 10:19 PM
Might, but pressreg better and more efficient answer.

is there a way to adjust the pressreg to get lets say 15 gpm eaisly?

srm077
08-20-2008, 10:23 PM
srm077, you are that most rare of homeowners: one who actually knows what he's talking about AND can ask a question that is answerable.

Thanks... BTW- You anywhere near P-Cola? I sure miss McGuires!

Also, has anyone tried the Rainbird 5004 PRS? See link and scroll down to see PRS feature.

http://www.rainbird.com/landscape/products/rotors/5000.htm

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-20-2008, 10:57 PM

Also, has anyone tried the Rainbird 5004 PRS? See link and scroll down to see PRS feature.

I guess my suggestion to rip out the poly and install real irrigation pipe would be flat.

RB 5004 PRS/SAM is a great low end rotor. My favorite right now.

srm077
08-20-2008, 11:09 PM
I guess my suggestion to rip out the poly and install real irrigation pipe would be flat.

RB 5004 PRS/SAM is a great low end rotor. My favorite right now.

Cost is not an object. What rotor do you suggest? BTW.... The two systems I have installed have been schedule 40 PVC if that makes you feel better.

DanaMac
08-20-2008, 11:11 PM
Cost is not an object. What rotor do you suggest? BTW.... The two systems I have installed have been schedule 40 PVC if that makes you feel better.

Real men use poly. Real men that can handle the cold and snow. Real men that know how fun it is to not work in the winter.

5000 should work just fine for you. It does for thousands of other systems. good upgrade might be a Hunter I-20 for a residential.

Waterit
08-21-2008, 12:36 AM

P'cola is next city over - I'm in Midway (don't look on map, you won't find it, you have to have lived here to know).

5004 is a great head no matter the flavor. Have had 0 failures.

How do you know of McGuire's?

Waterit
08-21-2008, 12:44 AM
Real men use poly. Real men that can handle the cold and snow. Real men that know how fun it is to not work in the winter.

The same real men that have complained in recent posts about how much their wrists and hands hurt? The same real men that complain about how much weight they've gained and how out-of-shape they are after hibernating for a few months?

STILL don't miss skidding backwards down black-ice roadways, or pouring hot water on my doorlocks just so I can get key in and then freeze my a$$ off waiting for windshield to defrost.

srm077
08-21-2008, 12:47 AM
P'cola is next city over - I'm in Midway (don't look on map, you won't find it, you have to have lived here to know).

5004 is a great head no matter the flavor. Have had 0 failures.

How do you know of McGuire's?

I lived in Pensacola for 2 years. My favorite places where McGuires, The Fish House, and Peg Leg Pete's.

Waterit
08-21-2008, 12:53 AM
I lived in Pensacola for 2 years. My favorite places where McGuires, The Fish House, and Peg Leg Pete's.

Fish House! We overhauled their POS system last spring, took a voucher as payment instead of $$$. They fed us every day we were there and kept our water pitchers full (after work hours there was a different liquid in the pitchers).

Peg Legs has been the location of more hangover installations than I want to remember.

We did McGuires' "Irish Village" housing development, and subsequesnt parking lot expansion. They make a mean burger.

BTW, your city is one of my fave vacation spots, love the Aquarium.

DanaMac
08-21-2008, 07:33 AM
The same real men that have complained in recent posts about how much their wrists and hands hurt? The same real men that complain about how much weight they've gained and how out-of-shape they are after hibernating for a few months?

STILL don't miss skidding backwards down black-ice roadways, or pouring hot water on my doorlocks just so I can get key in and then freeze my a$$ off waiting for windshield to defrost.

Hey it's not all peachy.

It's called a garage. We put the truck inside so as not to worry about freezing locks and windshields. You should look into it.

Waterit
08-21-2008, 07:38 AM
Hey it's not all peachy.

It's called a garage. We put the truck inside so as not to worry about freezing locks and windshields. You should look into it.

I used to have one of those, now it houses the big screen, a couch, and a mini-fridge packed with adult beverages.

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-21-2008, 07:39 AM

Try the RB 5004prs/sam. You will be pleased. Read your meter before the replacement and then swap the heads. See how much your meter slows down and admire the quality of the spray.

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-21-2008, 07:40 AM
I used to have one of those, now it houses the big screen, a couch, and a mini-fridge packed with adult beverages.

Wife kick you out due to excessive football?

Waterit
08-21-2008, 09:09 AM
Wife kick you out due to excessive football?

No, I sought refuge for my own sanity - I live in Estrogenville with the wife and 2 daughters, needed a place to replenish my testosterone in peace :laugh:

Tom Tom
08-21-2008, 09:50 AM

ahhhh, a Man Cave.........

we need pics

DanaMac
08-21-2008, 09:56 AM
ahhhh, a Man Cave.........

That's what my shop is for. Need cable and TV though. Fridge is always stocked.

Tom Tom
08-21-2008, 09:58 AM
That's what my shop is for. Need cable and TV though. Fridge is always stocked.

shhhh, thats TS (topsecret) :drinkup: