PDA

View Full Version : has any one run a 50d?

P.Services
08-20-2008, 10:16 PM
has any one had some seat time on a john deere 50d mini excavator?

if so what did you think?

for those that speak from experience are the deere mini and cat mini competitive machines or is one a stand out?

ksss
08-20-2008, 10:37 PM
has any one had some seat time on a john deere 50d mini excavator?

if so what did you think?

for those that speak from experience are the deere mini and cat mini competitive machines or is one a stand out?

The C-CR CAT models spec a lot better.

mrsops
08-20-2008, 10:52 PM
The C-CR CAT models spec a lot better.

they sure do

Scag48
08-20-2008, 11:08 PM
FWIW, the Deere D series minis are good machines. However, Cat's C series mini blow them away when it comes to the operator station, even the open cab machines. That and they spec better, couldn't really ask for much more.

mrsops
08-20-2008, 11:15 PM
demo a cat 304 or 305c cr machine they will rip that deere apart

bobcat_ron
08-20-2008, 11:37 PM
Yeah the Cat's and Kummagusta's are better, Deere'tachi still has a better and longer track record, but their cabs are small.

P.Services
08-20-2008, 11:40 PM
i sat in a 304 and a 305 today and i will say i was very impressed, even how nice the door slides and latches without having to slam it. but to tell you the truth i really dont care about the cab as long as its inclosed and im not getting wet i would sit on a milk crate just as long as the machine was a stout worker.

so comfort aside you all belive the cat will out perform a deere hands down?

Scag48
08-20-2008, 11:43 PM

I haven't had the chance to run the C series yet, but that's what I've heard on here and in the field. Like I said, they're a performer already, so it's not like you're trying to decide comfort over performance, Cat seemed to get everything nicely bundled up with the C's.

mrsops
08-20-2008, 11:44 PM
I haven't had the chance to run the C series yet, but that's what I've heard on here and in the field. Like I said, they're a performer already, so it's not like you're trying to decide comfort over performance, Cat seemed to get everything nicely bundled up with the C's.

get your but into one scag you will love it

mrsops
08-20-2008, 11:45 PM
i sat in a 304 and a 305 today and i will say i was very impressed, even how nice the door slides and latches without having to slam it. but to tell you the truth i really dont care about the cab as long as its inclosed and im not getting wet i would sit on a milk crate just as long as the machine was a stout worker.

i love the way the door slides on my 305. why dont you demo the 2 and see which one you like

Scag48
08-20-2008, 11:48 PM
get your but into one scag you will love it

I'd like to try one. Problem is, the smallest hoe we run at work is a 200 and all we run is Komatsu. I don't even think my company owns an excavator under 12 tons, even that's pushing the small end of the spectrum. I'm still waiting to find out where they're hiding the 750...

P.Services
08-20-2008, 11:58 PM
i love the way the door slides on my 305. why dont you demo the 2 and see which one you like

well tell me what you think about this situation, i told my deere dealer im looking for a 50d, i want one used but may if needed buy one new. but at the same time i was open with him and said im also looking to buy from a private seller any where in the country after he pulls the whole " ohh no used ones on out lot so i guess your buying new". now he seems like he only wants to shuffle me into a new machine without a demo so he doesnt spend any time or money on a sale that may go to a private seller.

now i told my cat guy tonight im looking for a 304 or 305 used, he will have a new one and a used one on a trailer by tomorrow afternoon and be asking me where they need to be droped of.

am i wrong to ask deere for a quick little demo in my dirt because i want a used machine?

i dont think so

mrsops
08-21-2008, 12:07 AM
well tell me what you think about this situation, i told my deere dealer im looking for a 50d, i want one used but may if needed buy one new. but at the same time i was open with him and said im also looking to buy from a private seller any where in the country after he pulls the whole " ohh no used ones on out lot so i guess your buying new". now he seems like he only wants to shuffle me into a new machine without a demo so he doesnt spend any time or money on a sale that may go to a private seller.

now i told my cat guy tonight im looking for a 304 or 305 used, he will have a new one and a used one on a trailer by tomorrow afternoon and be asking me where they need to be droped of.

am i wrong to ask deere for a quick little demo in my dirt because i want a used machine?

i dont think so

i dont think so i mean you already own a deere so he should help you out he knows the cat will beat the hell out of the deere

ksss
08-21-2008, 12:09 AM
[QUOTE=Picasso Services;2475943]well tell me what you think about this situation, i told my deere dealer im looking for a 50d, i want one used but may if needed buy one new. but at the same time i was open with him and said im also looking to buy from a private seller any where in the country after he pulls the whole " ohh no used ones on out lot so i guess your buying new". now he seems like he only wants to shuffle me into a new machine without a demo so he doesnt spend any time or money on a sale that may go to a private seller.

If you go used CAT I would not step out of the C series. There is a big drop between the C series and the older machines. The drop is not that steep for the Deere. The Deere guy probably is not excited about demoing a machine for you to buy used privately. I can understand that. Although if you have a strong relationship with the dealer it wouldn't matter. However generally probably not that popular of an idea.

If you open to other makes. The TK is a good excavator as it the Kobelco/NH/CASE mini the Deere specs along with the Kobelco machine while the TK and the CAT spec closely together.

P.Services
08-21-2008, 12:12 AM
i guess the only reason i was keeping with cat or deere is because the dealer support for parts/service is great. a case or tk dealer is a long drive and ive never worked with one before so i figure cat or deere will work fine.

im thinking of asking them to give me a decent rental rate just so i can try it out.

jefftb
08-21-2008, 05:33 AM
Komatsu PC50 specs out better than the Deere 50D.

Compared to the CAT 305 the PC50 has less bucket/arm force but more reach, dig depth, higher dump height, etc. Those two lift the same and weigh the same.

The Komatsu uses 39 HP but the CAT uses 47. The TAK machines are going to spec about the same as the 305 for bucket/arm forces as well but suffer the same less reach, dig depth, etc as well when compared to the PC50. I can tell you that the Komatsu will cost less than the 305.

Gravel Rat
08-21-2008, 04:27 PM
Komatsu is always cheaper than Cat. Once Cat paints their machine with the liquid gold you better hope your infor paying lots of money.

Komatsu machines are not that bad they are constructed a little cheaply but otherwise they okay.

I think things will change with Clatterpillar and they will realize they are over pricing themselves out of the market.

For awhile where I live and probably most places in B.C. Komatsu was like a bad rash that never went away. The now defunked Terra tech they were selling lots of Komatsu equipment. Komatsu was offering really good deals and took a good chunk of the heavy equipment market from Finning's which supplies lots of Cat equipment to the mines. Even the excavation contractors were buying Komatsu excavators.

I don't think Deere/Hitachi are really interested in the mini excavator market with Caterpillar they know they see the large machine market dying off so its probably why you see them focusing on the compact machine market.

bobcat_ron
08-21-2008, 04:42 PM
I'd still take a Cat mini over a Deere'Tachi just because the cabs are so much bigger and easier to get into, that's where the extra cost comes from.

Fieldman12
08-21-2008, 05:03 PM
Picasso - Is your Deere dealer an ag dealer or construction dealer? This may be the issue on why they are not to quick to offer a machine for a demo. Im sure a Cat construction dealer could find you a mini much faster. Most deere ag dealers dont get too many.

BrandonV
08-21-2008, 06:13 PM
my friend I had a 305cr on a site we were working on for about a month. now mind you this was a rental so I suppose it might have not be the "most cared for machine" out there. But it ran like a top, had 1500hrs on it (lord know what happened in those hours) but it was tight, I think they're a little slower in speed, but I really like the exactness of the controls (i'm a rock stacker mostly) I'd have no problem recommending it to you. Oh and this one was cabless, but the 304c i ran about a month before was loaded and you're right on the door... when I first noticed how it worked I was said "now that's sexy"

AWJ Services
08-21-2008, 06:16 PM
I have never used a Deere excavator but I will say the older 305 Cat machines are junk.
The new ones are light years ahead.

I have a Kubota and at first I did not like it.
I have learned too use it and have come too really like it.
The Takeuchi stuff is still my first choice.
I like the Kubota cab better than the Tak machines.
It is roomy compared too must.
But the Takeuchi is still the strongest pound for pound and the most stable.

P.Services
08-21-2008, 07:01 PM
Picasso - Is your Deere dealer an ag dealer or construction dealer? This may be the issue on why they are not to quick to offer a machine for a demo. Im sure a Cat construction dealer could find you a mini much faster. Most deere ag dealers dont get too many.

nope they are construction only.

jefftb
08-21-2008, 07:20 PM
Komatsu is always cheaper than Cat. Once Cat paints their machine with the liquid gold you better hope your infor paying lots of money.

Komatsu machines are not that bad they are constructed a little cheaply but otherwise they okay.

The first part of GR's statement is very true unless you are among the largest of the large purchasers of CAT equipment. In our area there are three large companies that get better CAT pricing on equipment and their equipment moves to the front of the service line before anyone else. That's CAT working for them. CAT will play when you have a large fleet of CAT equipment.

Its the rest of us that pay more. We do not have the purchasing power/leverage of the large companies so we piece/part the fleet (most owner's) That can pay when it comes to purchase but penalize when it comes to service-the moral here is do your best to grow the dealership experience to its fullest.

I do not understand the statement that Komatsu's are built a little cheaply. You do not become #2 in the world be being built cheaply. Our experience (mine and my subs) is that Komatsu equipment is quite well-built both initially and long term. We work our excavators, (PC228, PC138, PC78, PC35 and WA140 wheel loader) as hard as anyone that operates CAT equipment. We perform standard maintenance on the machines and they operate full time in return. We've used CASE and CAT as well and have Deere Skid and CTL. We hammer/dig rock, dig shot rock, dig deep, run full out in hot Southern weather for days on end doing utility installs of large cast iron pipe, stormwater boxes, site prep, and large underground tanks-the Komatsu equipment just keeps on starting every morning and working through the day.

I'm not going to allow my comments to hijack the thread into a Komatsu vs. CAT and everything else war. Its just that GR has made the Komatsu is built cheaply statement a few times and I wanted to relay our experience with those machines. YMMV. (your mileage may vary)*trucewhiteflag*

I apologize for the thread interruption.

bobcat_ron
08-21-2008, 08:21 PM
The first part of GR's statement is very true unless you are among the largest of the large purchasers of CAT equipment. In our area there are three large companies that get better CAT pricing on equipment and their equipment moves to the front of the service line before anyone else. That's CAT working for them. CAT will play when you have a large fleet of CAT equipment.

Its the rest of us that pay more. We do not have the purchasing power/leverage of the large companies so we piece/part the fleet (most owner's) That can pay when it comes to purchase but penalize when it comes to service-the moral here is do your best to grow the dealership experience to its fullest.

I do not understand the statement that Komatsu's are built a little cheaply. You do not become #2 in the world be being built cheaply. Our experience (mine and my subs) is that Komatsu equipment is quite well-built both initially and long term. We work our excavators, (PC228, PC138, PC78, PC35 and WA140 wheel loader) as hard as anyone that operates CAT equipment. We perform standard maintenance on the machines and they operate full time in return. We've used CASE and CAT as well and have Deere Skid and CTL. We hammer/dig rock, dig shot rock, dig deep, run full out in hot Southern weather for days on end doing utility installs of large cast iron pipe, stormwater boxes, site prep, and large underground tanks-the Komatsu equipment just keeps on starting every morning and working through the day.

I'm not going to allow my comments to hijack the thread into a Komatsu vs. CAT and everything else war. Its just that GR has made the Komatsu is built cheaply statement a few times and I wanted to relay our experience with those machines. YMMV. (your mileage may vary)*trucewhiteflag*

I apologize for the thread interruption.

GR means some of the smaller items like light mounts on the booms and in the cabs, instrument panels and climate controls, the little things, but overall structural components are just as good as everyone else.

Komatsu's are just a little more money to repair and replace parts, whereas Cat is cheaper, but their price tag is higher.

JDSKIDSTEER
08-21-2008, 08:30 PM
Picasso - Is your Deere dealer an ag dealer or construction dealer? This may be the issue on why they are not to quick to offer a machine for a demo. Im sure a Cat construction dealer could find you a mini much faster. Most deere ag dealers dont get too many.We are AG dealer and we would have had one on the job the same day. Specs on paper don't mean crap. Put them in the dirt. If your dealer won't I would look at who wanted my business enough to bring a machine out. Dealers need to decide if they are going to get in the business or get their butts out of business. It ticks me off to here crap like your salesman told you. It makes us look bad.:mad::mad::angry: Heck I would at least gave you a key and told you to take out back and run it as long as you want. Most customers are brand loyal and I would want to keep you all Deere even if you bought a used one elsewhere.

P.Services
08-21-2008, 08:40 PM
hey jdskidsteer if i give you the serial number off a machine do you think you can find out who owns it?

yeah brand loyal is right, i own your old ct332 and want to add a 50d and then i plan to add a 450j lgp very soon and then a 110 tlb or maybe it will be 299c,305cr,d4 lgp

JDSKIDSTEER
08-21-2008, 08:48 PM
hey jdskidsteer if i give you the serial number off a machine do you think you can find out who owns it?

yeah brand loyal is right, i own your old ct332 and want to add a 50d and then i plan to add a 450j lgp very soon and then a 110 tlb or maybe it will be 299c,305cr,d4 lgpYea PM me and I will log on the Deere and tell you who is suppose to own it and who sold it. I got a good deal on a couple of low hour 110's. Hard to find used 50D anywhere. Customers love them and hang on to them.

P.Services
08-21-2008, 08:56 PM
theres about 23 nice ones on machinery trader.com i have been drooling over. i talked to a dealer that said he had a loaded brand new 50d with three buckets and a hydro thumb for $52,000 i havent got my dealers price yet but i belive thats a deal. now i cant find what dealer it was.

JDSKIDSTEER
08-21-2008, 09:06 PM
theres about 23 nice ones on machinery trader.com i have been drooling over. i talked to a dealer that said he had a loaded brand new 50d with three buckets and a hydro thumb for $52,000 i havent got my dealers price yet but i belive thats a deal. now i cant find what dealer it was.Check your PM for information you requested if it is the same owner who last registered with Deere.

JDSKIDSTEER
08-21-2008, 09:12 PM
Check your PM for warranty claims. 2, Both minor.

How is my old CT332 holding up?

MRBsx2
08-21-2008, 09:21 PM
I run all deere equip have a deere skid, deere 110 tlb and 35 minni i think the 50d is a nice machine, not sure what all you would be doing with it but i think it is a good well rounded machine, and 52,000 for a brand new loaded 50 excavator is a hell of a deal!

P.Services
08-21-2008, 09:22 PM
the 332 is doing rather well. i blew a hydro line to a drive motor that was fun to replace and now my fuel gauge stopped working. and i had to get a new idler pulley because mine melted out around the bearing. nothing big yet. i know it will come some time though.

JDSKIDSTEER
08-21-2008, 09:26 PM
the 332 is doing rather well. i blew a hydro line to a drive motor that was fun to replace and now my fuel gauge stopped working. and i had to get a new idler pulley because mine melted out around the bearing. nothing big yet. i know it will come some time though.
Check to see if your vent iis cloged on fuel tank. It may have sucked in and your sender is hung on side of tank. Take an air compressor and blow the tank back out. I have not seen that problem in a while, but the ones I sold the first year I saw happen several times. If you have any problems you should still have my number. Call me and I will hook you up with Donnie. He is awesome mechanic. I would be nothing without him.

P.Services
08-21-2008, 09:29 PM
thanks i will try that tomorrow.

Gravel Rat
08-22-2008, 03:28 AM
It is the little things like Ron said that makes Komatsu on the cheap side.