PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way to edge beds?

green-pa
08-21-2008, 12:10 AM
What is the best way to edge beds? I'm not talking about using stones or that plastic edging stuff, just making a nice 3-4 inch deep edge around a customer's beds around her house. I've heard to use a spade ( is that what u call one of those flat shovels?). But to sharpen it first do just use the same thing i use to sharpen my blades? Or is there a bed edger machine I can rent that would do it much quicker, saving me a lot of time?

Thanks

shade tree landscaping
08-21-2008, 12:13 AM
we just use an edging shovel, no sharpening, just one of the small square edging shovels. I know thats not a good description, but thats the only way to describe it. Use that, edge at aprox a 45degree angle, a little practice and it will come out perfect!

deere615
08-21-2008, 12:19 AM
I use my wb edger and make a straight edge, the go back and make a 45 degree edge a few inches way from the first straight edge, Then dig it out and clean it up real nice with a shovel

green-pa
08-21-2008, 03:13 AM
So would this be almost like digging 3-4 inches straight down only with a bit of angle toward the bed? Cause I think I read something where u want to cut at least 3-4 inches down so that the roots from the grass will be ended thus keeping excess grass out of beds? So I'll almost be putting the shovel in straight down?

hackitdown
08-21-2008, 08:30 AM
So would this be almost like digging 3-4 inches straight down only with a bit of angle toward the bed? Cause I think I read something where u want to cut at least 3-4 inches down so that the roots from the grass will be ended thus keeping excess grass out of beds? So I'll almost be putting the shovel in straight down?

Yes, that is correct.

I also use the lawn edger to cut a very smooth line, then use a shovel from the bed side to remove material. It is pretty quick, and looks very nice.

Roger
08-21-2008, 09:03 AM
I prefer the edge to be 90 degrees, not a 45 degree slant toward the bed. A 90 degree edge can be maintained with a stick edger. An edge that is slanted cannot be maintained that way, rather must be cut with the string trimmer.

For me, the best tool is the half-moon edger tool. If there isn't much to start with, getting started with a pass using the stick edger. Then use the half-moon tool to cut deeper and loosen the material. A square shovel can be used to remove the debris.

I'm disappointed when a customer chooses to "sharpen up" the edges on his own, using a garden shovel. The straight edge that I've worked hard to maintain is scalloped. The curved shape of the garden shovel is a not useful to keep the straight line.

CGlandscaping
08-21-2008, 11:06 AM
I have a Bedbug by bluebird... cost about $2,000 but it does a heck of a job... also it has other attachments

bakerc8
08-21-2008, 12:10 PM
i use a edger

larryinalabama
08-21-2008, 12:48 PM
Brown Bed edger can usually be rented.

Or check out trenchblade.com, they do a nice job and are inexpensive, however they wont dig 3 to 4 "

TCS Landscaping
08-21-2008, 06:03 PM
Yes, I hear trenchblade does a great job.

Grits
08-21-2008, 06:46 PM
I like the trenchblade.

Grits
08-21-2008, 06:51 PM
oops.......................................

shade tree landscaping
08-21-2008, 09:12 PM
i had looked at those trenchblades but wasnt sure about them. A few of you guys brought them up on here and like them so I think that i am gonna have to buy a few and see if I like them or not.

hackitdown
08-21-2008, 09:18 PM
Trenchbaldes work well. They make a slightly wider cut, so it is easier to see a fresh new cut through a lawn.

RSL
08-21-2008, 09:24 PM
Spade Shovel Or Spade Bed Edgers R Great But Watch Out For Sprinkler Lines And Low Voltage Lines

deere615
08-21-2008, 10:48 PM
I prefer the edge to be 90 degrees, not a 45 degree slant toward the bed. A 90 degree edge can be maintained with a stick edger. An edge that is slanted cannot be maintained that way, rather must be cut with the string trimmer.

For me, the best tool is the half-moon edger tool. If there isn't much to start with, getting started with a pass using the stick edger. Then use the half-moon tool to cut deeper and loosen the material. A square shovel can be used to remove the debris.

I'm disappointed when a customer chooses to "sharpen up" the edges on his own, using a garden shovel. The straight edge that I've worked hard to maintain is scalloped. The curved shape of the garden shovel is a not useful to keep the straight line.

I agree with a 90 degree edge, green pa here is sorta how I edge my beds """""""!/ The"" is grass, I make 2 cuts with the edger one Being the ! and the other the / Then I dig the !/ out with a square shovel, if any of what I just wrote makes sense:dizzy:

green-pa
08-22-2008, 01:01 AM
I agree with a 90 degree edge, green pa here is sorta how I edge my beds """""""!/ The"" is grass, I make 2 cuts with the edger one Being the ! and the other the / Then I dig the !/ out with a square shovel, if any of what I just wrote makes sense:dizzy:

Oh, ok. I was hoping it would be as simple as u are describing it here :)
I don't have an edger so I guess I'll have to use a spade shovel ( is that right or is a spade something else?). I need to give an estimate tommorow for a lady.

Father&Daughter Lawn care
08-22-2008, 01:36 PM
Depending on the size of the bed a spade is usually sufficient for the job.

Turfrific
08-22-2008, 04:48 PM
use the half moon edger.:)

deere615
08-23-2008, 06:02 PM
Oh, ok. I was hoping it would be as simple as u are describing it here :)
I don't have an edger so I guess I'll have to use a spade shovel ( is that right or is a spade something else?). I need to give an estimate tommorow for a lady.

yes, a spade is a shovel, you just want to use one with a sqaure end not a point on the end