PDA

View Full Version : Time to quit my day job?

jsullivanlw
08-21-2008, 01:48 AM
Been doing lawns part time for a year now. At what point should I quit my 9-5 and go all out? How was it when YOU made the switch?

kleankutslawn
08-21-2008, 02:37 AM
when you are making just as much or more than you bring home on your 9-5

jsullivanlw
08-21-2008, 03:24 AM
Might not be possible for me to make more cutting 2 days than working four

ALC-GregH
08-21-2008, 11:54 AM
but what if you are cutting 4 days?

jsullivanlw
08-21-2008, 08:01 PM
but what if you are cutting 4 days?

I dont have enough yards to cut four days. I have 2 full days. Sat and Sun.

TXNSLighting
08-21-2008, 08:23 PM
when you work half as much and make the same. Thats a good reference.

hackitdown
08-21-2008, 09:25 PM
I dont have enough yards to cut four days. I have 2 full days. Sat and Sun.

Well then, the answer is: when you have enough lawns to earn enough profit to replace what you make on your regular job. It may be 2 days, 4 days...whatever. Do the math, or ask a friend to do it for you.

Roger
08-21-2008, 10:29 PM
No disrespect intended, but I think you are not asking the right questions. Why do you want to be a business owner? Do you have the entrepreneurial skills to manage a startup business? Do you have a business plan, one that has been well researched, and discussed with a mentor who will be able to give you advice, and ask blunt, direct questions? This would include essential financial backing for the first couple of years, when profits may be negative. Most businesses fail in the first couple of years because of lack of financial underpinnings. If married, do you have full and total support of your spouse? What about benefits, such as health insurance, retirement plans, etc.?

Your question in the initial posts suggests that your view of a lawn service business may be too simplistic. Just trying to trade off employment days with days to mow grass is a very inadequate measure of success.

nobagger
08-21-2008, 10:48 PM
I would love to quite my F/T job because A) I hate what I do (mechanic since 1988) B) I cant stand most of the people I work with (very double standard but what do you expect from a govt. agency) and C) the benefits are very good. I have more than enough work for me and one full timer but I wouldnt feel comfortable quiting and try to make up the dollar amount for benny's, house payment and some child support (things my F/T job pays for). If I can give you advise.....Dont spend your life doing something you dont like doing (like me) but make good, smart business choices, always do the best possible job you can and you'll have enough work in a few years to do it F/T.

tradeyouraccounts
08-21-2008, 11:26 PM
Echo the thoughts above off course discuss your thoughts about quitting your job with your spouse or other important family members. Ensure you have some back up funds to tide you over any hard times in business. If possible, have six months of living expenses saved up, or good (and extensive) credit.

As you are quitting your day job to start your own business, double the amount of money you think you'll need to invest, and triple the amount of time you think it will take.

The grass often looks greener somewhere else, so be sure you know exactly what you're getting yourself into.

Best of luck

jsullivanlw
08-22-2008, 01:56 AM
Well then, the answer is: when you have enough lawns to earn enough profit to replace what you make on your regular job. It may be 2 days, 4 days...whatever. Do the math, or ask a friend to do it for you.

Do you understand what Im saying? 5 days regular work. 2 days grass. I still make more with the job than grass but I have no time for MORE lawns.

jsullivanlw
08-22-2008, 02:01 AM
No disrespect intended, but I think you are not asking the right questions. Why do you want to be a business owner? Do you have the entrepreneurial skills to manage a startup business? Do you have a business plan, one that has been well researched, and discussed with a mentor who will be able to give you advice, and ask blunt, direct questions? This would include essential financial backing for the first couple of years, when profits may be negative. Most businesses fail in the first couple of years because of lack of financial underpinnings. If married, do you have full and total support of your spouse? What about benefits, such as health insurance, retirement plans, etc.?

Your question in the initial posts suggests that your view of a lawn service business may be too simplistic. Just trying to trade off employment days with days to mow grass is a very inadequate measure of success.

None taken. If I come off as simplistic its only in an effort to get a wider response. I have everything I need to be successful just wondering what others experiences were on going from P/T to F/T.

jsullivanlw
08-22-2008, 02:02 AM
I would love to quite my F/T job because A) I hate what I do (mechanic since 1988) B) I cant stand most of the people I work with (very double standard but what do you expect from a govt. agency) and C) the benefits are very good. I have more than enough work for me and one full timer but I wouldnt feel comfortable quiting and try to make up the dollar amount for benny's, house payment and some child support (things my F/T job pays for). If I can give you advise.....Dont spend your life doing something you dont like doing (like me) but make good, smart business choices, always do the best possible job you can and you'll have enough work in a few years to do it F/T.

Thank you. :)

jsullivanlw
08-22-2008, 02:04 AM
Echo the thoughts above off course discuss your thoughts about quitting your job with your spouse or other important family members. Ensure you have some back up funds to tide you over any hard times in business. If possible, have six months of living expenses saved up, or good (and extensive) credit.

As you are quitting your day job to start your own business, double the amount of money you think you'll need to invest, and triple the amount of time you think it will take.

The grass often looks greener somewhere else, so be sure you know exactly what you're getting yourself into.

Best of luck

Thanks anyone else go from part time to full time? How did it go????

HOOLIE
08-22-2008, 02:07 AM
You need to formulate a plan...don't just wing it and hope it'll all work out. Figure out how much money you'll need to pay for everything for an entire year, then come up with a strategy for making that money.

jsullivanlw
08-22-2008, 02:26 AM
You need to formulate a plan...don't just wing it and hope it'll all work out. Figure out how much money you'll need to pay for everything for an entire year, then come up with a strategy for making that money.

I have a plan. Its in effect. I just want to know how it went when you guys quit your day jobs. Good lord.

jsullivanlw
08-22-2008, 08:26 PM
no one? Come on. No one knows the ups and downs of going full time??? Help me out here.:dizzy:

HOOLIE
08-22-2008, 08:36 PM
I have a plan. Its in effect. I just want to know how it went when you guys quit your day jobs. Good lord.

Apparently, your alleged plan stops at 2 days of work and goes no further. People try to help you at 1 in the morning and the thanks they get is "Good Lord"