PDA

View Full Version : Here's a chance to rag on Yardman!

johngallaway
08-21-2008, 02:40 AM
So here's the deal. I have a 8x4 trailer, weed eater (tm) 150mph hand blower, 2001 Tahoe with the 5.3 to pull, deere push mower, and I'm looking at a riding mower that will cost me nothing. Basically I have no use for my motorcycle ever since I hit a deer and I don't want to be on a bike any more. A guy is offering me the mower, a used weed eater, and a nice laptop for the bike.

It's a yardman 17.5/hp w/ a b&s engine. It's their zero turn model. Before you scream "NO" let me say I'm only thinking of getting this to get a start since it won't technically be costing me anything - but will this just be throwing my bike away in the trade? How long will this last me? My thinking is that I'll have everything I will need to get 15-20 small contracts going and I can run this thing into the ground while saving up for the real deal. I will have the push mower as backup.

Roger
08-21-2008, 06:27 AM
What are the specs on the laptop?

Mike's LawnCare Landscape
08-21-2008, 08:07 AM
My local shop has junk mowers all day long around $300 for a rider !!
and you can find older comp around $200 to $300 That was $1000 last year :dizzy:
I can't say much I still use my Craftman on a few small yards LOL
But if you need it and money is tight. Go for it .
I just hope it will last for you!!

Lakewlc
08-21-2008, 09:26 AM
got any pics of it?

johngallaway
08-21-2008, 05:35 PM
The laptop is worth about $600. I deal with computers all day. Its got a dual core processor and 2 gigs of ram, wifi, and everything I need. No worries there.

The mower is one of those Yardman models with the handles for zero turn where the steering wheel should be. I've seen lawn care companies using the conventional riders plenty of times before I just wanted to know if this will get me through a season or two. (I'm starting up this season and will more likely be doing more cleanup, Christmas, and pressure washing)

Next season the goal will be to make enough $$$ to afford a better mower. :weightlifter:

stevenf
08-21-2008, 05:48 PM
I have a hoem owner ZTR and it is handleing 18 accounts at the moment. Since I purchased it, I have replaced the blades and two sets of spindle bearings which cost a total of about $75.00 so far in two years of use(11 accounts last year).
I think homeowner equipment is a great way to save money at first. Unless the engine or a hydro pump goes out..... I suggest you take care of it WAY more then you usually would. I change the oil every month, grease the front castors every month, sharpen the blades every two weeks, and I ALWAYS make sure the top and bottem of the deck is free of clumps.