PDA

View Full Version : pavers and grass?

viet_jon
08-21-2008, 08:57 AM
I went driving yesterday to check out driveway pavers at million dollar homes..... and they all have bits of green growing in between the cracks.

The houses are about 5-10 years old....

question:

so is greenery between the cracks unavoidable?

poiuy qwerty
08-21-2008, 09:40 AM
I would guess so. You could put down landscape fabric under the pavers but over time i think they will grow anyway.

Dreams To Designs
08-21-2008, 10:35 AM
Using a polymer sand will almost eliminate any grass growing in the joints, but even that needs maintenance. Dust, soil and seeds can be blown by the wind and collect in the joints, therefor things can grow. The polymer sands, like SRW,Tecniseal and many others eliminates the interlocking sand from being a place the roots can grow. In your climate, the polymer sands may need to be reapplied every few years as ice, snow and rain can remove a little bit every year.

It is very unlikely the weeds are growing up from below the pavers. If they are, that is an indicator of a very serious issue, improper base installation. The geotextile fabrics used in paver and wall installations are used as a separation fabric between the existing soil and the base material.

No work can exist in it's best condition without some sort of maintenance, even asphalt paving or concrete need yearly maintenance to look their best.

Kirk

cudaclan
08-21-2008, 10:11 PM
Is it possible that the owners planted them? Mosses placed in wide gaps look natural and are manageable. You did say "bits of green" not grass. Under ideal conditions, moss will grow in tight joints.

PatriotLandscape
08-22-2008, 09:03 PM
the grass germinates in the crack not from underneath.

Using polymeric sand is the best way to avoid weeds in pavers.