View Full Version : Any Advice for a new Part Time LCO?

08-21-2008, 01:51 PM
Hey guys,

I have read a bunch of great information on here and have really begun to educate myself by doing so. And would like to get some advice from you guys on what I should do to make my Part Time LCO a success.

A little background:

I am a Project Manager for a Construction Company and love my job there, work is great, pay is great, people are great and benefits are great as well. So I am not looking to replace this job with a full time LCO business right now.

I just picked up a brand new Scag 36" WB with the Kawi V-Twin! I bought this for personal use after comparing the prices of the "John Deere's" at the local home improvement place and the Snappers at the local sales and service! :hammerhead: For only $500 more than the cheaply made residentuals, I got the SCAG!!! :clapping: And boy is it nice! :usflag:

Anyway, I love to keep my yard in tip top shape and get great satisfaction from looking at a freshly manicured lawn and bed that I did myself. So I thought, why not share this love and new equipment with others and at least pay myself back for the cost of my new mower. And with my Wife now being a stay at home Mom with our three kids, all under 4 years old, we sure could use any extra money that comes out of this as well.

What advice would you give to a guy in my situation, looking to make some good part time money?

Should I invest in the $65 book offered here on this site? Would it be worth the investment?

08-21-2008, 02:08 PM
draft a business plan together, read as much as you possibly can, check into commercial insurance rates for your truck and a commercial policy for yourself to protect you in case your mower throws a rock at a kid or breaks a window. Theres a lot more to this business then just buying a commercial mower and saying I'm ready to start mowing. Think outside the box.

08-21-2008, 02:20 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I know most of this stuff, I'm looking more for personal experience stuff.

How you get it rolling? What to watch out for with customers. Pricing, and selling, etc.

08-21-2008, 03:18 PM
Through some searching and reading I found that for a solo guy like me, this probably has all the answers and ideas I am looking for to get this thing rolling!

Bought, gonna read it and keep reading this forum.

Broad Thanks to all of you posting your experiences and advice here on the forum. I'm sure its going to help me a bunch while Im getting started. :clapping:

08-21-2008, 03:29 PM
best thing to do is read, read, read...... :D welcome to LS.

08-21-2008, 03:41 PM
best thing to do is read, read, read...... :D welcome to LS.

You aint wrong. Im learning tons by the minute and getting more excited about this oppritunity I have stumbled into. :weightlifter:

12-30-2008, 11:13 AM
yeah I would have to agree; so far in the last three days - I have read about 23 pages BACK in the history of this section of forum!

Nothing but knowledge from everyone. very rare and valuable!

12-31-2008, 12:55 AM
Keep on reading. If you have a question use the search function. A lot you will learn through experience. This was my first year part-time and I can't believe how much I have learned!!

12-31-2008, 06:52 PM
yeah definately,
I have a few years experience in my market (5-7 part time with both maintenance and construction). this site is priceless