PDA

View Full Version : Any Advice for a new Part Time LCO?

mattxb
08-21-2008, 02:51 PM
Hey guys,

I have read a bunch of great information on here and have really begun to educate myself by doing so. And would like to get some advice from you guys on what I should do to make my Part Time LCO a success.

A little background:

I am a Project Manager for a Construction Company and love my job there, work is great, pay is great, people are great and benefits are great as well. So I am not looking to replace this job with a full time LCO business right now.

I just picked up a brand new Scag 36" WB with the Kawi V-Twin! I bought this for personal use after comparing the prices of the "John Deere's" at the local home improvement place and the Snappers at the local sales and service! :hammerhead: For only $500 more than the cheaply made residentuals, I got the SCAG!!! :clapping: And boy is it nice! :usflag:

Anyway, I love to keep my yard in tip top shape and get great satisfaction from looking at a freshly manicured lawn and bed that I did myself. So I thought, why not share this love and new equipment with others and at least pay myself back for the cost of my new mower. And with my Wife now being a stay at home Mom with our three kids, all under 4 years old, we sure could use any extra money that comes out of this as well.

What advice would you give to a guy in my situation, looking to make some good part time money?

Also,

Should I invest in the $65 book offered here on this site? Would it be worth the investment?

-Matt

All_Toro_4ME
08-21-2008, 03:08 PM
draft a business plan together, read as much as you possibly can, check into commercial insurance rates for your truck and a commercial policy for yourself to protect you in case your mower throws a rock at a kid or breaks a window. Theres a lot more to this business then just buying a commercial mower and saying I'm ready to start mowing. Think outside the box.

mattxb
08-21-2008, 03:20 PM
:drinkup:

Thanks for the reply.

I know most of this stuff, I'm looking more for personal experience stuff.

How you get it rolling? What to watch out for with customers. Pricing, and selling, etc.

mattxb
08-21-2008, 04:18 PM
Through some searching and reading I found that for a solo guy like me, this probably has all the answers and ideas I am looking for to get this thing rolling!

http://www.promower.net/

Bought, gonna read it and keep reading this forum.

Broad Thanks to all of you posting your experiences and advice here on the forum. I'm sure its going to help me a bunch while Im getting started. :clapping:

ALC-GregH
08-21-2008, 04:29 PM
best thing to do is read, read, read...... :D welcome to LS.

mattxb
08-21-2008, 04:41 PM
best thing to do is read, read, read...... :D welcome to LS.

You aint wrong. Im learning tons by the minute and getting more excited about this oppritunity I have stumbled into. :weightlifter:

jwalker17
12-30-2008, 12:13 PM
yeah I would have to agree; so far in the last three days - I have read about 23 pages BACK in the history of this section of forum!

Nothing but knowledge from everyone. very rare and valuable!

slamjamrockinman
12-31-2008, 01:55 AM
Keep on reading. If you have a question use the search function. A lot you will learn through experience. This was my first year part-time and I can't believe how much I have learned!!

jwalker17
12-31-2008, 07:52 PM
yeah definately,
I have a few years experience in my market (5-7 part time with both maintenance and construction). this site is priceless