PDA

View Full Version : Steering column noise on 06 GMC 2500

CK82
08-21-2008, 03:53 PM
I have an 06 GMC Sierra 2500 (HD). When I turn corners and hit any sort of bump in the road in the steering column you can feel some sort of vibration and it makes a rattling type noise. I have my torsion bars slightly cranked for snow plowing. Anyone have any ideas whats going on?

TXNSLighting
08-21-2008, 04:30 PM
mine was similar. It was the gear box. Also My front end had bushings and seals bad. IFS sucks!

CK82
08-23-2008, 12:29 AM
I really think it has something to do with the torsion bars being cranked. Any other suggestions?

TXNSLighting
08-23-2008, 01:06 AM
Well sorry for answering

flykelley
08-23-2008, 12:23 PM
Hi Guys
Are you sure its not the steering shaft issue? I sprayed mine with Fluid Film and the noise went away in about 3 weeks. Now once a year I sray fluid film on it and it stays quiet.

Regards Mike

greenguys.lawncare
08-23-2008, 05:11 PM
I have a 2001 GMC with the same problem. Took it to the shop and it was the intermitten shaft. about $200 to fix. Machanic said it was a common problem for GMC.

FERT-TEK
08-23-2008, 06:21 PM
Hope this helps, I just addressed this issue with Chevy and it was the "intermediant steering shaft" they replaced it under my extended warranty. The job should have cost 219.00 including labor. FYI there is a service bulletin on this issue if you know how to get them. My mechanic diagnosed this problem and sent me to Chevy with the bulletin knowing I had the extended warranty.

Good honest mechanics are hard to find and I feel I have one of the best independent mechanics in the Chicago area. He could have told me it was ball joints or torsion bars etc. and made a boat load of money off me if he wanted. Economy is hitting him hard like everyone else and he still did the right thing.

greenguys.lawncare
08-24-2008, 01:05 AM
didn't mean intermitten meant to say intermediat shaft.

Mike Blevins
08-24-2008, 08:19 AM
I purchased a 04 2500 chevrolet a couple of weeks ago. They put a new steering shaft in it. Mechanic told me that they all have the same problem with the shaft. No big deal but I did get a new shaft out of the deal.

CK82
08-26-2008, 12:21 AM
Thanks for alll the reply's! Including TXNSLighting, dont apologize for trying to help. I wasnt sure what the problem was, I was just stating that I thought it may be linked to the torsion bars being cranked.

Thanks again!

corey4671
08-26-2008, 12:26 AM
well at least now I know I'm not the only one that has noticed that.

UrbanGreen
08-26-2008, 02:19 AM
Not the only one. I have 06' 2500 Duramax and had the same problem by about 5K miles. I took it in and just like everyone else has said it was the steering shaft. I was told by the dealership mechanic that basically the grease that is used for it wears and when it does you get the knocking. They told me that this would probably continue to happen about every 5-10k miles. At 12K I took it in and at 20K miles. The last time I took it in at 20K, GM had supposedly came up with a fix for the problem but I am a little over 30K miles and its back again!

Has anybody had any permanent fixes? The only thing I can think of is since they admitted that this is a defect that I will continue to have to deal with, I can probably fight to have this problem covered for the life of the vehicle even after the warranty has run out.

flykelley
08-26-2008, 12:14 PM
Not the only one. I have 06' 2500 Duramax and had the same problem by about 5K miles. I took it in and just like everyone else has said it was the steering shaft. I was told by the dealership mechanic that basically the grease that is used for it wears and when it does you get the knocking. They told me that this would probably continue to happen about every 5-10k miles. At 12K I took it in and at 20K miles. The last time I took it in at 20K, GM had supposedly came up with a fix for the problem but I am a little over 30K miles and its back again!

Has anybody had any permanent fixes? The only thing I can think of is since they admitted that this is a defect that I will continue to have to deal with, I can probably fight to have this problem covered for the life of the vehicle even after the warranty has run out.Hi Guts
Like I posted in a thread above, but this time I will shout it. USE FLUID FILM ON YOUR STEERING SHAFT. 2-3 weeks after lubing it up with fluid film the noise went away. I now spray it 3-4 times a year and the noise has not reappered. Its cheap and yet another use for fluid film.

Regards Mike

UrbanGreen
08-26-2008, 12:44 PM
As I posted "has anybody had a PERMANENT fix"? If you are still having to spray it 3-4 times a year thats not PERMANENT. It is still a temperary fix

flykelley
08-27-2008, 12:29 PM
As I posted "has anybody had a PERMANENT fix"? If you are still having to spray it 3-4 times a year thats not PERMANENT. It is still a temperary fixGM doesn't have a permanet fix yet, as a matter of fact they are now saying there is not a problem with the steering shaft. That noise drove me nuts, so with a little fluid film it is now gone.

Good Luck Mike