PDA

View Full Version : no crabgrass + high mowing

americanlawn
08-21-2008, 07:19 PM
Here's a pic of my lawn (August 21, 2008). It has 3 only crabgrass plants (along the edges of the concrete), and it's never had a pre-emergent treatment. That's it. This lawn is 2 acres, but i mow it at 3 1/2 inches during the summer.

Many of our customers have serious crabgrass -- always along the edges where they mow or weedeat down to the "nubs". We warn them ahead of time every year, but so many never comply. Most of these customers never call in for a free service call ( I guess it's cuz their neighbors' lawns look worse), but a few do. We explain to them that we cannot guarantee weed control if they mow/trim less than 3 inches. Yet these "lawn scalpers" expect free (expensive) post-emergent treatments -- even when they weedeat as low as 1/4 inch. :confused:

We leave "fact sheets" everytime we treat that explain the need to "mow right", but it seems few customers take the time to read them. The fact sheet uses common sense from our State's land grant University, so it is unbiased.

Soon an "early frost" will take out annual grassy weeds, but for now we will continue to use Compass or Q4 to keep these "scalpers" happy. Of course the cost of doing this is passed along to the rest of our customers (gasoline, time, product, time loading, equipment, etc) -- not fair.

Question: Does anybody charge for post-emergent crabgrass control when it's the customer's fault? rscvp, thanks.

p.s. I threw the 2nd pic in so you guys would have something to look at other than lawn mowers, etc. (it's my 70 R/T Challenger with a "hard-body" that has tatoos on her inner thighs :laugh:..not shown)

shovelracer
08-21-2008, 09:11 PM
Yes, I cant guarantee 100% results. Too many factors such as overwatering, mowing height, surface disturbance, etc. for PreMs to work everytime. All I can guarantee is that the product is applied properly and the rest is up to them, now if they are full service they write some big checks so Im a little more giving on certain things. If they dont go with the full program they get nothing free.

Frank Fescue
08-21-2008, 09:40 PM
I have a small handout i give out with the round 1 fert/crab app that basically says "How you can help make this application more effective"

Runner
08-22-2008, 02:52 PM
I explain to the customers the expectations of a pre-emergence crabgrass control. Any pre-emergent that is applied has an expected life window of a maximum of 3 to 5 months, and that is only with optimum conditions. So, to expect 3 months of control, is the normal expectancy for this control. The pre-emergent has done it's job - and done what was was expected according to it's label. After that, it is possible that crabgrass germination is possible. We cannot control their mowing practices or the watering conditions, so any outbreak thereafter becomes over and above the normal program. In years (like this one), where we have exceptional rainfall, and the ground is "flushed", and more and more stuff just keeps germinating, then it certainly can't be avoided. the same holds true with nut sedge. that is always over and above the normal program, because that is not even a typical weed. Now,...on some of our jobs that we treat AND mow,...I will use discretion, and many times just treat the edges at no charge.

Grassman08
08-22-2008, 03:06 PM
There are so many factors to no-crabgrass sucess that it is mind bogling. I have found the keys to be right turf, right place, and work toward thick,healthy turf. Now that is easier said then done. Moisture is a big player in all this, as well as proper mowing.

whoopassonthebluegrass
08-22-2008, 04:19 PM
First off, you might wanna introduce that poor girl to a tanning bed.

That being said, I was actually facing this dilemma today. I'm at home remixing right now (well, sort of) and I had a pair of large lawns just filled with crabgrass today. I chose to ignore it on the grounds that the don't water worth a damn - and my contract declares all guarantees VOID if lawns are not maintained.

I've decided that I'm going to enforce this policy via photos next year. I go through my entire service area on a weekly basis, and for now on am going to snap pix of the lawns that get stressed. Those lawns are always the ones with weed problems, bug problems, etc = $$$. And as things stand now, I don't make enough to pay for someone else's stupidity. My own stupidity is costly enough...

heritage
08-22-2008, 04:37 PM

That being said, I was actually facing this dilemma today. I'm at home remixing right now (well, sort of) and I had a pair of large lawns just filled with crabgrass today. I chose to ignore it on the grounds that the don't water worth a damn - and my contract declares all guarantees VOID if lawns are not maintained.

I've decided that I'm going to enforce this policy via photos next year. I go through my entire service area on a weekly basis, and for now on am going to snap pix of the lawns that get stressed. Those lawns are always the ones with weed problems, bug problems, etc = $$$. And as things stand now, I don't make enough to pay for someone else's stupidity. My own stupidity is costly enough...

Whoop,

That Lady may be Americans wife......If you said that about my wife, I would be quite insulted.

She looks Fine to me as so does that fine Car.

Pete

benjammin
08-22-2008, 04:51 PM

Are fvcking kidding me!?! Maybe a spray tan but red-heads look great naturally. Tanning beds are cancer and dermatoligists best friends.

whoopassonthebluegrass
08-22-2008, 05:34 PM
Haha. You guys are so dumb. That was tongue in cheek. I bathe in sunscreen on a daily basis myself. I have actually been accused of glowing in the dark. Just having fun. My word...

HE WHO TAKES OFFENSE WHEN NONE IS INTENDED IS A FOOL. HE WHO TAKES OFFENSE WHEN OFFENSE IS INTENDED IS A BIGGER FOOL.

So there, you fools.

phasthound
08-22-2008, 05:48 PM

You've got a great sense of humour!! I'm sure Larry does, too. She looks great.

You also have a great sense of business. I'm going to add your void line to my contracts and take more photos to prove the point. Thanks!

And a shout out to Larry...good job! Send that photo of your lawn to your clients with an explanation.

americanlawn
08-22-2008, 06:47 PM
I wish my wife had her figure, but I try to avoid redheads cuz of their temper. :laugh:

I ran did 16 stops today. Put 120 miles on my truck. Estimates, service calls and 3 applications (trees & lawns). 4 service calls were: 3 for crabgrass & 1 for foxtail.

The lawns I treated for crabgrass today (Q4) were also sprayed a year ago for the same problem. The highest mowing height was 2 inches. Weedwacking height was often "down to the dirt". I left these knuckleheads a fact sheet last year ("crabgrass in lawns" by Iowa State...it tells people to mow at 3 - 3 1/2 inches during the summer to help prevent annual weeds). Today I didn't bother leaving anything except a harsh note: "If you prefer a crabgrass lawn, please continue to mow way shorter than 3 inches". "Next time I have to come out, I will charge you".

One guy said he mows sohrt so he doesn't have to mow as often. I told him he was right, but don't expect any crabgrass control, cuz your short mowing negates what we do.

BTW we used Barricade .375% at the full rate. But with all the 4 & 6 inch rains, I'm sure much of it is nolonger protecting against annual weeds.

phasthound
08-22-2008, 06:55 PM
I wish my wife had her figure, but I try to avoid redheads cuz of their temper. :laugh:

OK, so now I'm wondering it that's really your car!?!?

whoopassonthebluegrass
08-22-2008, 07:03 PM
I ran did 16 stops today. Put 120 miles on my truck.

Yikes, Larry! I sprayed out after 19 and had only driven about 7 miles! I sorta never managed to reload and head back out, either! Ended up watching the US beat Argentina in b-ball... Guess I'm working on yet another Saturday... :hammerhead:

americanlawn
08-22-2008, 07:19 PM
Here's my avatar pic. It was taken a year ago when I drove the Iowa State fair queen in the state fair parade. I hopped out to take the pic, but you can see my wife in the passenger seat. The reflection (on the Wallace building) features the state capital building behind me.

They asked if I would drive our new Governor in this year's parade, but I said no way. Too fat for one thing, but this Pillsbury doughboy (democrat) has already raised our taxes in so many ways I never even thought of.

UOTE=phasthound;2478624]OK, so now I'm wondering it that's really your car!?!?[/QUOTE]

Runner
08-22-2008, 11:37 PM
I'm sorry,...but I am TOTALLY distracted from this thread. I just can't get over that car. This last picture of the state fair queen leaves something to be said, also. The background - with the reflection of WHAT -EVER that building is, is just awesome. It looks like a royal palace, and is so suitable with her in her crown. But anyway, back to the car...In this latest pic, I noticed the two tone, with the single stripe transition. I guess that's just the camera playing tricks? This is more a less a flip-flop color of paint by the looks of it. Can we possibly see more pics of it, because I must say, THIS is one of thee finest Challenger R/T's I've ever seen in my life. That is one beautiful car!

grassman177
08-23-2008, 09:48 AM
whoop, you are a funny gyuy, good stuff

Mscotrid
08-23-2008, 11:20 AM
Nice car Larry. Was pink the factory color? I don't remember seeing many Challengers that color back in my motorhead days. I would like to test drive one of the new Challengers Chrysler is selling now. Saw one on the streets the other day and they look awesome.