PDA

View Full Version : Little wonder push blower ...worth it or not!

bigw
08-21-2008, 08:26 PM
Debating on getting a little wonder push blower or even a "force" billygoat but wondering what you guys that have them think,worth the $ or are back pack blowers sufficient for fall clean ups?
I currently have a shidawia 8510 which kicks butt but i thought a strong push blower may be better for getting leaves to the curb for the leaf vac. Anyway for those that have one whats your opinions? Would a 9hp be enough or do you need the 13hp?

bigw
08-21-2008, 08:50 PM
anyone?:rolleyes:

mybowtie
08-21-2008, 08:56 PM
I have a older 13hp thats seen a lot of leaves. I wouldnt be without either one though.........:usflag:

hackitdown
08-21-2008, 09:05 PM
I do a lot of clean-ups. In my opinion, one WB blower is equal to 3 BP blowers on a cleanup. But we get serious leaves in my area, so I have no option. I'm considering a 2nd WB, and I only have me and 1 helper.

bruno_rs
08-21-2008, 11:06 PM
Debating on getting a little wonder push blower or even a "force" billygoat but wondering what you guys that have them think,worth the $ or are back pack blowers sufficient for fall clean ups?
I currently have a shidawia 8510 which kicks butt but i thought a strong push blower may be better for getting leaves to the curb for the leaf vac. Anyway for those that have one whats your opinions? Would a 9hp be enough or do you need the 13hp?

hey big, you really can't do a good fall cleanup, here in the northeast, without a decent roller blower. i personally would not use anything below a 11 hp.

from what i've read, you're setting yourself up to do, besides your regular customers, heavy 1 shot cleanups... can't be done with just a backpack, no matter what you may have. also be careful how much work you take on, the fall is a killer... time wise. remember, shorter days and much more labor.

what i use are (2) little wonder 11 hp rollers, (2) redmax eb7001's, a toro gounds master w/jrco leaf plow and my ransome zt219 w/collection system.
i'm going to say it again... look into a leaf plow, you'll thank me later. NEVER would i do another cleanup without one.

good luck, post some pics of your fall equipment when you get a chance. have a good one.

CrystalCreek
08-21-2008, 11:26 PM
As bruno said,,, LEAF PLOW!!!!! This will save your A@@. I still smile as my walker pushes a thousand pounds of wet leaves from the back yard to the curb all the time thinking how long it would have taken with backpacks.

As too your original question, A ground blower will save you a ton of time. I use mine almost everyday in leaf season. I really use it at the gates. I have a lot of small yards that have gates. Walker wont fit. Tarps tare on the hinges of the gates. Green barrels weigh a ton when filled with leaves. So here is what I do. I position the ground blower near the gate blowing out to the front yard. With backpack on my back, I feed the leaves to the ground blower and it dose the rest. SAVES A TON OF TIME, and so much easier than barrels or tarps. I always use little wonder because of the STEEL impeller. I have broken too many plastic ones. And you don't want to see parts coming out at 200 mph. May just ruin your day. Hope this helps. KEEP THINKING LEAVES!!!

nobagger
08-21-2008, 11:38 PM
We have used a Little Wonder 10hp for 3 years now and it does a great job. We ordered a Billy Goat Force blower (and its in :clapping: just have to pick it up) We got the 9hp Subaru. We also have 2 leaf plows.....its called a rider and a walk behind mower, just drop the deck as far as we can and they move serious piles of leaves! More than any blower. If you doing smaller areas I would think your back pack would do the trick. We only use our w/b blower in a few places and the only reason we ordered this Billy Goat was a new set of condos we picked up (they are literaly shin deep in leaves in the fall)

STIHL GUY
08-21-2008, 11:50 PM
i have a giant vac WB and i dont know how i would do fall clean ups without it

bruno_rs
08-21-2008, 11:52 PM
As bruno said,,, LEAF PLOW!!!!! This will save your A@@. I still smile as my walker pushes a thousand pounds of wet leaves from the back yard to the curb all the time thinking how long it would have taken with backpacks.

As too your original question, A ground blower will save you a ton of time. I use mine almost everyday in leaf season. I really use it at the gates. I have a lot of small yards that have gates. Walker wont fit. Tarps tare on the hinges of the gates. Green barrels weigh a ton when filled with leaves. So here is what I do. I position the ground blower near the gate blowing out to the front yard. With backpack on my back, I feed the leaves to the ground blower and it dose the rest. SAVES A TON OF TIME, and so much easier than barrels or tarps. I always use little wonder because of the STEEL impeller. I have broken too many plastic ones. And you don't want to see parts coming out at 200 mph. May just ruin your day. Hope this helps. KEEP THINKING LEAVES!!!

hey crystal, it's all about WORK SMART... NOT HARD! can't get over just how few leaf plows i see out there. have to say it's probably the best return on investment for any/all attachments, i've purchased, for my ztr's!! it's obvious you know what you're talking about with your "trick" to sneak the leaves out from behind a fence with a narrow gate.

how are you guys makin out in bergen county? busy, slow, same? hope all is well. have a good

bigw
08-22-2008, 12:00 AM
hey big, you really can't do a good fall cleanup, here in the northeast, without a decent roller blower. i personally would not use anything below a 11 hp.

from what i've read, you're setting yourself up to do, besides your regular customers, heavy 1 shot cleanups... can't be done with just a backpack, no matter what you may have. also be careful how much work you take on, the fall is a killer... time wise. remember, shorter days and much more labor.

what i use are (2) little wonder 11 hp rollers, (2) redmax eb7001's, a toro gounds master w/jrco leaf plow and my ransome zt219 w/collection system.
i'm going to say it again... look into a leaf plow, you'll thank me later. NEVER would i do another cleanup without one.

good luck, post some pics of your fall equipment when you get a chance. have a good one.

It sounds like a great investment but here is my dilemma...i am solo and i am going to be using my new dump trailer with a leaf box and new 18hp billygoat leaf vac at these leaf clean ups so how do i get my 60" ztr to the job or better yet how do i get it back since now the trailer will be full of leaves? See thats where the problem comes in for me, i have an enclosed trailer for my mowers and such but only me to operate everything...any ideas?

bruno_rs
08-22-2008, 12:35 AM
It sounds like a great investment but here is my dilemma...i am solo and i am going to be using my new dump trailer with a leaf box and new 18hp billygoat leaf vac at these leaf clean ups so how do i get my 60" ztr to the job or better yet how do i get it back since now the trailer will be full of leaves? See thats where the problem comes in for me, i have an enclosed trailer for my mowers and such but only me to operate everything...any ideas?

hey big, i feel your pain. that's the problem with a sole proprietor and a dump trailer vs. dump insert for collecting leaves. at this point, that's water under the bridge since you've already purchased the trailer.

i don't suppose leaving the property to dump and leaving your equipment behind (at the job site) is an option? in my area i could get away with that but is it worth the risk, for you? not knowing your area, i'd have to say probably not.

wish i had an answer for you right now, but i don't. i'll keep it in the back of my mind and hopefully i, or someone else, will come up with something that will work for you... where there's a will there's a way.

bigw
08-22-2008, 12:52 AM
hey big, i feel your pain. that's the problem with a sole proprietor and a dump trailer vs. dump insert for collecting leaves. at this point, that's water under the bridge since you've already purchased the trailer.

i don't suppose leaving the property to dump and leaving your equipment behind (at the job site) is an option? in my area i could get away with that but is it worth the risk, for you? not knowing your area, i'd have to say probably not.

wish i had an answer for you right now, but i don't. i'll keep it in the back of my mind and hopefully i, or someone else, will come up with something that will work for you... where there's a will there's a way.

I could just hear me now...Honey im home did you see my new 9k$ mower i seem to have misplaced it on the job..lol

bruno_rs
08-22-2008, 01:05 AM
I could just hear me now...Honey im home did you see my new 9k$ mower i seem to have misplaced it on the job..lol

hey big, i hear ya! i see you're getting "needled" by picasso in another thread... don't take it too serious. some of these guys just like to raz just for s#!ts and giggles. i'll keep your dilemma in the back of my mind. take it easy. have a good one.

Father&Daughter Lawn care
08-22-2008, 02:28 PM
If it has more than 5hp it is well worth it. They are expensive but worth it weight in gold.

Runner
08-22-2008, 02:48 PM
Definitely go with more than 5 hp. Anyway, about the dilemma of being solo and having the two trailer setups,...well, you may just have to do it in two sections. Do the cleanup(s), get a few of them completed with the stuff out by the road, and go back and vacuum the stuff up. Even if the stuff sits out by the road or in the ditch for 2 or 3 days...it's not going to hurt anything. as long as the customers know how the process works, they will be ok. Keep in mind, it doesn't take NEARLY as long to vacuum the leaves up as it does to do the cleanup.

CrystalCreek
08-22-2008, 11:00 PM
hey crystal, it's all about WORK SMART... NOT HARD! can't get over just how few leaf plows i see out there. have to say it's probably the best return on investment for any/all attachments, i've purchased, for my ztr's!! it's obvious you know what you're talking about with your "trick" to sneak the leaves out from behind a fence with a narrow gate.

how are you guys makin out in bergen county? busy, slow, same? hope all is well. have a good

You are so right about working smarter and not harder. Things in Bergen are ok. My first year as solo, so i'm still struggling, but my head is held high and I keep praying. I sent you a private message.
Now back to the post, sorry Big W. I feel your pain. I use a dump insert, but it water under the bridge now. Could you do all your work with your regular trailer full of equipment leaving piles and than switch trailers and pick tha piles up in the afternoon. Rig up some good lights on the trailer and you could work after dark. I have done this for years before my insert. Customers understood. Sucks making two trips, but it's only for a few weeks. Hope this gives you some ideas. If I can think of anything else, Ill post. Keep Trucking,,,or I guess cutting:laugh::laugh:

bigw
08-22-2008, 11:28 PM
You are so right about working smarter and not harder. Things in Bergen are ok. My first year as solo, so i'm still struggling, but my head is held high and I keep praying. I sent you a private message.
Now back to the post, sorry Big W. I feel your pain. I use a dump insert, but it water under the bridge now. Could you do all your work with your regular trailer full of equipment leaving piles and than switch trailers and pick tha piles up in the afternoon. Rig up some good lights on the trailer and you could work after dark. I have done this for years before my insert. Customers understood. Sucks making two trips, but it's only for a few weeks. Hope this gives you some ideas. If I can think of anything else, Ill post. Keep Trucking,,,or I guess cutting:laugh::laugh:

I think thats a good idea and someone else has mentioned that also,ill seriously think about it!

Impressions Landscaping
08-23-2008, 02:41 AM
I agree with everyone else on here, I have a 10 horse Briggs, the thing is insane, will never be without one. I don't have one complaint about it either, starts first pull, isn't to loud, and not horrible on fuel.

corey4671
08-23-2008, 02:51 AM
bought a 13hp Little Wonder last fall. MAN. Don't know how I got by without it. Also picked up a Wonder Hitch. www.wonderhitch.com like the JRCO but cheaper. Makes a snap out of large parking lots and long driveways.

Runner
08-23-2008, 05:12 PM
How is a 5th wheel hitch like anything JRCO makes???:confused:

Grits
08-23-2008, 06:44 PM
I have a Little Wonder. It's nice....BUT, my dealer just got in the Billy Goat Force.....the bigger Force is on special for $999 (should be nation wide deal). This is the blower I would get...for sure.

Military Lawns
08-23-2008, 07:53 PM

BIGW,
Sounds like you are going to need some help for these leaf clean-ups.

DJ-

J.A.G LAWNCARE
08-23-2008, 09:11 PM

i tried to tell you to build a box on your truck and not the dump trailer ............but if yards not to far from your yard do the clean-ups then go back and switch trailers ,sucking leaves can be done in the dark most yards dont take 2 long to suck up ..maybe do 2 clean ups then switch trailers ..

TPendagast
08-23-2008, 09:40 PM
during my days of leaf clean ups in the north east;
I had a 42" walker a 60" exmark with ultra vac and a toro 44" wb with a leaf plow on a dual axle trailer with a hydro-propelled lesco 18hp blower, a 16 hp fradan push blower and an 11 hp little wonder blower. Two back pack blowers and a billy goat 11 hp leaf loader.
This was all pulled by a mitsubishi FE with a dump body and a leaf box in the dump body.
Three man crew.
I moved Leaves like nobody's business.

In my opinion, If I was solo. Id have a MINIMUM of an 11hp little wonder, a back pack, a mower with vac capabilites that mounted a leafplow and a small dump that pulled the trailer with a leafvac on it.
Now, if you were some where that WASNT the far north with the big old trees?
Fall clean up in Tennesee I'm sure is nothing like Ct, Ma, Maine, etc.

TPendagast
08-23-2008, 09:50 PM

Big,

Heres an idea since you dont have a dump "truck".

I used to haul all my stuff in the above list. But when I dumped, the gear stayed at the job while I ran to dump, I usually left a crew member or two at the job to clean up and/or mow.
You wont need ALL your lawn mowing equipment when you are fall cleaning because the pace of things wont go at the same rate once you start cleaning cleaves. I suggest bringng only one mower.
Most of the time, the box fills up (in this case on your trailer) and there is still some leftovers.
Go on a dump run, have the helper mow and finish up making the final small pile.
You will return after the dump, vac up the left overs and there should be room for the single mower you bring with you inside the dump trailer (yea it sounds like a pain but its a compromise and yes youll need a helper, leaves are alot more work than mowing alone.

The other idea is put the walk behind mower on a set of aluminum ramps in the back of the pick up with the wheelblower and a leaf plow.
That leaves the whole dump trailer for your debris.
Leave your ZTR at home. The WB mower should be fine with a leaf plow etc.
In some cases you can run around with the ZTR with a bagger on it and a lead plow, make your piles, come back and vac..

Either way you'll have to try out a few scenarios on your own lawns to find the pattern that is going to work for you.
Im pretty sure you will find #1) one fo these ways will work and #2) you'll have to get some kind of help even if its only 3 days a week.

M RASCOE&SONS
09-14-2008, 08:45 PM
BIGW i would get a nice walk behind blower to go with your back pack and do all your clean ups with that because with the prices of fuel multy trips to the same property will get old and expensive.i just watched the billy goat force video and i think thats the way to go $999 for the 9hp and $699 for the 6hp.just my 2 pennies.good luck.
ps:i think im gonna pick up the 9hp force tomarrow.

Frue
09-14-2008, 09:10 PM
as to the original point. The little wonder 8hp opti max is more powerful then the 9hp billy goat. I did a test in the parking lot of the dealer place. I stated wich ever blew the gravel the furthes I would take home little wonder won. I use it every day in the fall.

I will take pictures of my set up when I put it back on in a month to show you how to operate solo and run your equipment.

Nighthawk9125
09-17-2008, 01:17 PM
Hey I am new to Lawn site... But I had a question. Anyone hear anything about the new Fradan 14hp Robin Subaru leaf Blower? I hear they are running a special on this blower and they are offering at a real stellar price! Anyone know anything about it?