PDA

View Full Version : would this interest your buisness?

P.Services
08-21-2008, 08:31 PM
im thinking about leasing out a very large warehouse and parking lot and turning it into a lawncare/landscaping/treeservice halfway house. for companies to big to keep all their equipment in the drive way but not big enough to buy their own building or a company that wants to take advantage of what we have to offer.

You would lease a certain size space inside the building and have all the room you want to pay for, use it for storage repair or whatever you need. It would offer community tools like blade grinders air tools and compressors, common tools like wrenches and hammers, just about everything you would ever need to work on equipment big or small.
It will also have a full time small engine mechanic to help or trouble shoot (he is extra $ for helping, free trouble shooting).

Office space will also be available along with a Secretary to answer your line and take messages. Things like a fax machine and copier will also be available.

Out side we will offer you an option to buy bulk mulch,trees.shrubs and supplies at a wholesale rate. along with areas to dump any green waste and areas for dirt or concrete waste. we will also sell common things needed like oil/trimmer line and other things you may need real quick one morning.

We will have equipment for rent like mini excavators, skid steers, dump trailers, dump trucks, roll off bins, bark blowers, hydro seeders, chippers, compactors, mowers blowers and whips (for when yours breaks), and any other tool or machine you would ever need for this industry. When you rent shop space you will get a discounted rate on equipment rental also.

for extra large projects or when your workers dont show up we will have a few workers available to "rent out" for the day.

Do you guys think this is a good idea or would you not be interested because your competition would be right next door?

Any other things to include?

Any thought at all appreciated.

mybowtie
08-21-2008, 08:54 PM
Im thinking a lot of lost/stolen tools. Even stuff one company may missplace, they may complain to you for the loss..Unless each place has there own lockable area, I think there will be problems...Its a good idea, that may need a little tweeking to make it run smoothly....Good luck..............:usflag:

P.Services
08-21-2008, 08:57 PM
yes i was thinking each space will be lockable and the tool room would have someonr to check tools in and out.

J.A.G LAWNCARE
08-21-2008, 09:29 PM
good idea but the price would be to high for lco to rent the space ...........

P.Services
08-21-2008, 09:37 PM
good idea but the price would be to high for lco to rent the space ...........

im thinking around 400-600 a month. thats really not that much. when the city cracks down on people for parking their "company" in the drive many of them go to self storage properties and pay a nice chunk of change just to park a truck.
i know of a tree service that pays over a grand a month just to park stuff in a self storage building and hes not allowed to work on anything in the place.

ericmcj31
08-21-2008, 09:40 PM
I think it's a great idea just needs some treaking-but all in all is a great idea and just gonna take a lot of $$$ to operate it--how many companies you thinking of "housing?"

P.Services
08-21-2008, 09:51 PM
around 20 is the goal.

the whole other side of the biz is to be open to homeowners to buy supplies and rent equipment to get the job done.

the do it yourselfers can come and get a rolloff bin filled with what they need, a wheelbarrow, tools and even there own worker they can rent to take home for the day.

or they can just come and fill there pick-up with mulch and some pavers.

and then the rental store should pay off the equipment.

ericmcj31
08-21-2008, 09:56 PM
just be careful with the "rental worker"

P.Services
08-21-2008, 09:58 PM
just be careful with the "rental worker"

he will have his greencard dont worry :laugh::laugh:

Raider
08-21-2008, 10:02 PM
I want a 30' x 30' area to put a bar in your building!! I could see some real money being made at the end of each work day.

Do you think there would be problems having "competing" lco's that close together all the time?

ericmcj31
08-21-2008, 10:03 PM
haha; yeah-

ericmcj31
08-21-2008, 10:03 PM
I think Raider has an even better idea!

Mike's LawnCare Landscape
08-21-2008, 10:05 PM
Sound good if your in the city LOL But I have no worries .
Only thing that I have to pass by the wife is how many trees can stay in the yard LOL

P.Services
08-21-2008, 10:13 PM
I want a 30' x 30' area to put a bar in your building!! I could see some real money being made at the end of each work day.

Do you think there would be problems having "competing" lco's that close together all the time?

with stripers? if yes then you pay no rent!!!

i belive that will be a problem for a few but i know im friends with many lco's and even though we compete for the same lawns and work us being friends or parking our equipment next to each other will make no difference in who gets the work. i believe the 20 companies will grow 10times faster in this envierment. we can team up to work together on large jobs (not saying everyone but maybe two crews would load onto one truck or something like that) we can buy things we all need in bulk to save, everyones phone will always get answered, we could even have meetings to share info on streamlining our biz to become more efficient (may not the last one thats to much).

we can keep all the work in our group of 20, i know alot of young kids that wont dare take down a 100' oak over a house so they just say nope we dont do that kinda work. pass it on to a member that does do that work. you get the idea.

This is far more then just a storage shed, its a way for a owner/operator lco to grow to the next level and compete with much larger companies by becoming efficient and prepared for the next job that may come there way.

ericmcj31
08-21-2008, 10:16 PM
with stripers? .

stripers go on the mowers:hammerhead:, strippers go on the pole!:clapping::clapping::walking::drinkup:

P.Services
08-21-2008, 10:18 PM
Sound good if your in the city LOL But I have no worries .
Only thing that I have to pass by the wife is how many trees can stay in the yard LOL

yeah this is more for younger companies with mom saying jimmy why the f do i have a mountain of grass in my drive way and your mowers in the garage and grease and oil in my kitchen sink!!! or again the lco that will see the benefit of having there guys on the road faster because they rented equipment bought supplies and rolled out of the same yard. its all about being lean, being efficient. so you can compete.

fool32696
08-21-2008, 10:20 PM
Sounds good to me. All I'd really be interested in though is the space, the troubleshooting help, and someone to answer the phone. I don't know about 20 LCOs either. I could see less than 5.

P.Services
08-21-2008, 10:27 PM
more the better for me, if the building can hold it i will fill the space.

add powerwashers to the list of community tools along with welders and tourch sets and oil vacuums so we can use it to heat in the winter.

FordLawnLandscape
08-21-2008, 10:43 PM
stripers go on the mowers:hammerhead:, strippers go on the pole!:clapping::clapping::walking::drinkup:

:laugh::cool2:

ericmcj31
08-21-2008, 10:48 PM
you're gonna need 20 renters to pay for all that stuff!! Like said earlier-I'd be SURE to have private bins that each company could use and no one else can get into (without their permission)--but sounds like a tight little idea

ericmcj31
08-21-2008, 10:49 PM
^^^^^Hey ford-you buying tomorrow?? (sorry for the highjack)

FordLawnLandscape
08-21-2008, 10:54 PM
blieve u got the next two days brutha ! nah, hell i'll get it

mybowtie
08-21-2008, 10:54 PM
:usflag:I think your on to something. It's not for everyone. The rental store is a good idea. Just takes A LOT of start up $$ to buy the rental equipment..........

P.Services
08-21-2008, 10:55 PM
yeah im thinking each lco's area will have a big sliding door and be totaly enclosed with there own lights and power inside.

20 lco's will be about 40-60 mowers for my tech to work on plus homeowner repairs. 20 lcos to rent equipment plus my company to rent equipment (my own stuff will be for rent) and then any homeowners to rent.

im going to buy a rayco chipper soon for about $20,000 i wont use it but four times a month so if i can rent it the other 20 some days i can pay that thing off real quick. with a $500 a month payment it will all be paid by renters.

J.A.G LAWNCARE
08-21-2008, 11:30 PM
sounds like a plan but you have any idea how big it would have 2 be to have that many companys junk in one place ...............

P.Services
08-21-2008, 11:32 PM
yes very big, i have been in the building, its huge. the parking lot is massive!!!

oakwdman
08-21-2008, 11:40 PM
I really think you are on to something. I know around here you would have no trouble finding 20 LCO's to rent to.

STIHL GUY
08-22-2008, 12:10 AM
sounds like a pretty cool idea to me

P.Services
08-22-2008, 12:17 AM
i want to make it affordible enough so its a no brainer. isnt a secratay to answer your calls 40hrs a week worth 400 bucks a month alone? a tech to answer questions and save you money? having all those unique and usefull tools to get the job done.

i think a dingo with a harley rake will be a big enough rental hit with scapers, i have to drive 4hrs round trip to get one!!!

Raider
08-22-2008, 12:45 AM
Have you ran the #'s ($) on this. How much would building cost? Wages for tech and secretary, and other employees? Insurance, utility bills would be quite high. Then to supply all of these tools$$$$ Is building already divided into separate areas with overhead door access to each or would this be your expense?

When you have numbers figured out post them on here if you can, I would like to see what an operation like that would cost, and how much $$ it can generate from sales.

This is a really interesting idea.

P.Services
08-22-2008, 12:52 AM
im going to get the monthly lease price on the building tomorrow or monday. i havent gotten that far yet with this idea i just came up with it a few hours ago. i really want to open a rental shop with the landscaper in mind. none of those bs tools and what not like homedepot, just good stuff you cant ever find. i figure the tech will make his own sallery working on homeowner owers and he can just be there to answer questions to my renters.

Az Gardener
08-22-2008, 01:10 AM
I have thought about the same thing years ago but space is much more expensive here and most small co's are illegal Hispanics and they wont pay 400 a month for a truck :dizzy: so I don't think it would fly here but sounds like you have a better situation there. I would start slower just offering space and dumping is a big improvement for most companies.

Get a good tax guy/lawyer/adviser. You are going to want to set up a different business to lease the equipment vehicles etc. You may have 2-3 more businesses there and its good to keep them separate if you ever decide to sell off a part. Also you don't want a problem in one to drag down the whole ship.

Great idea, lots to think about. Good luck keep us up to date.

PlatinumLandCon
08-22-2008, 10:16 PM
I think the storage/dumping thing should be separate from the rental/landscape supply thing. JMO

Runner
08-23-2008, 05:16 PM
Picasso,
Just ask Rob from grand scapes and Scott from emerald. they share a yard. I am told they have guys running in to and bouncing off each others' trucks all the time.:laugh:

BarrFarms
08-23-2008, 05:49 PM
It would be a good idea, I could see it working out well in other areas. It is somewhat rural here, and most lco's live just outside the city limits.

txgrassguy
08-23-2008, 11:27 PM
I rent some space in my shop to a decorative iron welder whom occasionally bids on some of my jobs requiring railings or other types of metal work.
This said, I -for one - would hesitate having competing companies in the same area. I see way to many potential problems existing here resulting in the potential for legal issues.
Should you have competing companies renting from you, ensure the lease agreement holds you harmless from their actions, not only towards you but from what may occur between the other renters.
Finally, the "rental labor" idea is yet another avenue for incredible problems to occur.
Quite obviously you should run all of this through the services of an attorney knowledgeable in situations like this prior to accepting renters or offering rental "labor".

08-24-2008, 12:39 AM
Rent-all may be a franchise oppertunity for you. This would help you alot in the rental side of the business. Also it would solidify a business plan for helping with obtaining financing.

Not sure if you have Rent-all there, they are a big rental company.

GreenAcresLC
08-24-2008, 11:48 PM
All that gas powered equipment under one roof, think of the insurance price on this alone! Two days ago, there was a warehouse fire here, I think it was a recycling place, lots of paper products. Anyway, the building was leveled. Think of the contents of the building if you have 20+ LCO's and all their stuff in there. Coverage insurance on your (the owner) part could be astronomical. Just something else to check on. Good luck, sounds like a great idea, just be sure to cover allllllll your bases before you act. Like has been said, keep an attorney in your back pocket, he could come in handy.

bakerc8
08-25-2008, 10:19 AM
thats a great idea i might do that in ct there are a lot of old factorys were i live so i check it out

KGR landscapeing
08-25-2008, 10:52 AM
more the better for me, if the building can hold it i will fill the space.

add powerwashers to the list of community tools along with welders and tourch sets and oil vacuums so we can use it to heat in the winter.

I think the whole idea is just for everybody to have one large cage inside. the outside would store trucks and trailers. Would look like a camp ground of open trailers enclosed trailers and dumps and pick ups outside. I think sharing space isnt so bad of an idea. And think about when you didnt have a bed edger and your rental place didnt but your buddy dose well now hes right next door. I dont think of most landscaping as fighting there more like co workers. I mean we all do the samething with alittle diffrent services some guys are Arborist some guys r certified paver installers. It would be a huge wealth of knowledge

HOOLIE
08-25-2008, 12:36 PM
That's a pretty good idea. Another LS member and I were talking about sharing space somewhere but couldn't find a suitable location. I find most guys have a mutual respect for one another. I really wouldn't be concerned about tools or equipment 'walking off' too much.

I also know a heating and AC guy whose wife was his secretary, as well as secretary/phone answerer for 3-4 small LCOs at once. Worked well for them and the LCOs too.

KGR landscapeing
08-25-2008, 12:53 PM
That's a pretty good idea. Another LS member and I were talking about sharing space somewhere but couldn't find a suitable location. I find most guys have a mutual respect for one another. I really wouldn't be concerned about tools or equipment 'walking off' too much.

I also know a heating and AC guy whose wife was his secretary, as well as secretary/phone answerer for 3-4 small LCOs at once. Worked well for them and the LCOs too.

and the walking off part if one of the other guys took it hes kinda gotta bring it back since you share the same bed persay

B_gerrits
08-25-2008, 03:02 PM
This ideas does have merit but requires a lot of homework in research. The parking lot if the city allows it could store boats, RV's, trailors. The housing of competing lco together has a lot of pot problems. for example lco a is mad at lco b for stealing his account what happens if he decides to sabatoge lco b's truck? Also the cost of indivdual locking storage containers would be expensive. The rental Equip may work depending on the availability of rental equip in your area but would take a lot of capitol in investment. The rental employees has a lot of pot problems like do you still pay them if no one rents them? They require taxes to be done and you would have to pay your employee taxes on them. What will you do with them in the winter? The on staff mech that troubleshoots for free, no way, he could doing a ton of troubleshooting that creates no revenue for you. Maybe see if you could find a mech that would set up shop there and charge rent for the space? Community tools to lend no way a nightmare to keep track of and again creates no revenue. A community secratary, would one sec be able to keep up on 20 lcos calls. Again another employee for you to pay that isn't creating revenue another prob with this is 10 lines ring at the same time which lco get preferance. Just some things to think about. You do have a lot of good ideas. I would stick to ones that create revenue and keep overhead (employees) low at least to start.