PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using this?

jefftb
08-21-2008, 08:44 PM
http://www.leadingedgeattachments.com/multiripperbucket.htm

I've been looking at these for a while and like the concept-rock hammer's really reduce the life of excavators. This bucket looks like there would be significantly less destructive force(s) on the excavator when compared to a hydraulically run hammer.

Check it out and post the comments. I've got a small job installing electric conduit that needs either a hammer or this to get the cover depth to pass inspection. I'm thinking this is a good chance to run one and see the results w/o dropping a lot of $$$$.

bobcat_ron
08-21-2008, 09:25 PM
I've seen them used here, it's a good alternative, but if the rock is super hard, a hammer is still better.

jefftb
08-21-2008, 09:39 PM
Yeah, we hammered rock on a 6" gravity main project (270' out of 620' total gravity run) and this bucket probably would not have gotten the job done. We ended up drilling/blasting the tank holes at the end of the gravity collection line.

I can't say for sure if the multi-ripper would have performed or not on that one, sometimes I wish there was just a better way than hearing "tink-tink-tink" for days and days.

The electric conduit install is a short run at about 125' and the rock looks/acts dense but fracturable with the right tool.

I want to run this bucket to see if it works-it might just provide an advantage in the right situation on a future project.

Mike's LawnCare Landscape
08-21-2008, 09:54 PM
I kinda don't like that bucket .
Un less you just use it a little Bit and change it out!!!
You are always pulling to the one side of the bucket and that can't be good for your arm !!But what do I know. It's my 2 cents .

RockSet N' Grade
08-21-2008, 10:38 PM
I own a multi-ripper bucket and use it on my 20,000 lb machine. Had it for about 3 years now. In certain applications, it is magic.......others, implements of a different nature (like a hammer) are better. I have ripped out tough chunks of concrete in half the time, where it has really shined for me is stump removal.......I pulled out 12-15 10'ers up to 15' diameter stumps the other day and it ripped through the outside root system like butter. It falls short on under cutting the stump after the outside are cleaned because the legs are short and stout. On a larger (much) machine it may bust through rock, but my experience has been just so-so.......a hammer is more productive.....Would I buy it again? Probably not......I would use the money on different size buckets, a single tooth ripper or put the money on a hammer........just my experience over three years on a midi sized machine though........larger machines I am sure could make better use of it....