PDA

View Full Version : Bermuda coming up in fescue

b121774
08-21-2008, 11:01 PM
Anyone know of a way to control Bermuda in fescue lawns? Heard Turflon Ester sprayed twice, once when it comes out of dormancy and again before it goes dormant. Is this the best way?

RigglePLC
08-21-2008, 11:05 PM
Turflon ester plus Acclaim is supposed to kill Bermuda--didn't work for me, though. Maybe Ric or Greendoctor have some suggestions.

gorknoids
08-21-2008, 11:32 PM
Ornamec 170 is labeled for Bermuda in fescue. (Edit) I knew this had been discussed recently...... http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?referrerid=32336&t=238397

greendoctor
08-22-2008, 04:11 AM
It can be done. I do not have fescue here in Hawaii. But I have lots of zoysia lawns established over what used to be bermuda. The bermuda was killed by Take All, but remnants frequently contaminate the current zoysia lawn. I use Fusilade or Ornamec at label rates + 1 quart Turflon Ester applied monthly. The key to making this work is application technique. I use a boom set at 40 GPA., 40 PSI, XR Teejet nozzles and a surfactant in the tank mix. Poor spray coverage will give dissapointing results. I am usually able to kill bermuda in 4 months.

LushGreenLawn
08-22-2008, 07:34 AM
Fusilade is not labeled for turfgrass. Ornamec is only labeled for use in the spring and fall. I spray Ornamec in the spring and fall, when it is just coming out, or going in to dormancy.

Marcos
08-22-2008, 09:34 AM
Fusilade is not labeled for turfgrass. Ornamec is only labeled for use in the spring and fall. I spray Ornamec in the spring and fall, when it is just coming out, or going in to dormancy.

Fusilade II at one time did indeed have a label to suppress, and (hopefully) a fair amount of kill of bermudagrass, particularly in cool season or transitional turf like tall fescue.

Years ago I used to use it quite a bit for this purpose. But growing conditions have to be absolutely perfect to have any hope that it will work, and / or that you won't torch the turf.

Any more...it seems folks around here have somewhat become oblivious to things like invasions of bermuda.

They WILL notice small patches of nimblewill and quackgrass, however. I'm starting to see more and more of those two...especially in lawns that have been quite thin, turf-wise, for longer periods of time.

greendoctor
08-22-2008, 02:37 PM
Fusilade by itself is marginal. Sometimes it didn't really work on the bermuda and I have seen it torch the heck out of zoysia. Adding Turflon seems to fix all of these issues. Again it is all about application.

benjammin
08-23-2008, 10:54 PM
From the NC TurfFiles:
3 to 4 applications of Acclaim Extra tankmixed with Turflon Ester. (see Bermudagrass Control in Tall Fescue) This application can only be made by lawn care companies and cannot be done by homeowners. The only other option is to completely renovate the lawn in late summer by making 2 applications (or more) of glyphosate and then reseeding the lawn in early September.

http://www.turffiles.ncsu.edu/Alerts.aspx#004390