PDA

View Full Version : Cat 262 skid problems

rob1325
08-21-2008, 10:16 PM
I have a 2003 Cat 262 a series with some problems. First off the temperature warning light started to go on lately. It started with going on some times and then just go off. Now it just stays on all the time even when cold. When it is on it glows very little (maybe half on symbol glows), not bright like when parking light is on. Do I just replace temperature reader on motor? My second problem is with the locking pins. If I use cat attachments they stay on barley seems. Though, a month ago I had to rent a non Cat attachment (breaker) and it would pop off once and a while. I looked at the pins and how they work. Seems when I put press on attachment, like going backwards with bucket, the pins push up. I see the springs there but they don't hold pin down with the pressure. If the pins were little longer seems the attachments would not fall off or if bevel was not as big on end of pin. Is there a fix for this? Are my pins worn or does Cat make longer ones? Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

CarterKraft
08-21-2008, 10:30 PM
the temp issue is your coolant temperature sender in the thermostat housing on the cylinder head. they had a problem with them getting corroded internally and they short out setting the lamp, no big deal just change it when it's cold... Duh!

The pins are a kind of look see type issue. make sure the roll pins in the lock pins are bottoming in the lock pin bores when locked. if they stick above the bore then they will be short on the bottom and your tool will fall off.

Good luck

CarterKraft
08-21-2008, 10:55 PM
I tried to attach a picture but my #@$@#$ internet is so #$%$#@% slow it timed out so here goes.

bobcat_ron
08-21-2008, 11:07 PM
CarterKraft, how the hell do you manage to come up with the schematic drawings so damn fast?!?!?

CarterKraft
08-21-2008, 11:21 PM
I worked on CCE machines ONLY for 3 years, most of the info I have forgotten the other half I remember where it's saved on my Laptop :)

Also, you do know were I work, right?

bobcat_ron
08-22-2008, 10:17 AM
I worked on CCE machines ONLY for 3 years, most of the info I have forgotten the other half I remember where it's saved on my Laptop :)

Also, you do know were I work, right?

Me thinks me knows wheres yous works.

rob1325
11-16-2008, 10:08 PM
Update: Finally changes temp sender on motor, still same problem. Thinking it may be board behind dash. Now hydro light comes on lighty sometimes. If you guys have any other recommendations I would appreciate it. I am going to see what the electronic board costs and may just try that also. I am going to change pins also when done for the year. Will keep you guys updated.

Thanks
Rob

SellingIron
11-17-2008, 12:52 PM
Stop what your doing. Goto to a bobcat dealership and trade the sick cat in...
Bobcat has 50 reasons to do it. (0% @50 months):hammerhead:

bobcat_ron
11-17-2008, 12:55 PM
Stop what your doing. Goto to a bobcat dealership and trade the sick cat in...
Bobcat has 50 reasons to do it. (0% @50 months):hammerhead:

That because they are broke...............and they need the money.

CarterKraft
11-17-2008, 04:09 PM
if you have allot hours on your machine the wires could be detached from the circuit board on the instrument panel. you should be able to disconnect the wire from the senders to test the board.

lamp gp price around $90

SellingIron
11-17-2008, 04:40 PM
Ron, they don't need the money. They have so much there going to be closing on Dec 15 thru Jan. lol!!!!!! Craft, The wires should be easy to find. Cat does a great job of not hiding there wiring. Exposed plugs everywhere..:usflag:

GradeMan
11-17-2008, 05:29 PM
This is too funny:laugh::laugh::laugh:

bobcat_ron
11-17-2008, 07:20 PM
Ron, they don't need the money. They have so much there going to be closing on Dec 15 thru Jan. lol!!!!!! Craft, The wires should be easy to find. Cat does a great job of not hiding there wiring. Exposed plugs everywhere..:usflag:

Cat is much neater inside.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t178/rdj07/Pictures217.jpg
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t178/rdj07/Pictures412.jpg

rob1325
11-17-2008, 08:32 PM
if you have allot hours on your machine the wires could be detached from the circuit board on the instrument panel. you should be able to disconnect the wire from the senders to test the board.

lamp gp price around $90

Thanks for the advise. The machine has little under 800 hrs.

I have a great Cat dealer close by and I did own bobcats back in the day when they were only game and still do not like them like my Cat.

SellingIron
11-18-2008, 08:59 AM
B-Ron, The bobcat in the pic had standard controls. What your seeing is linkage. Get a pic of a joystick unit to compare.. I noticed that the bobcat was dirty and the cat was clean. Did you have to drive to a dealer to get that cat pic? If its not dirty, its not making money....:cool2:

bobcat_ron
11-18-2008, 10:37 AM
B-Ron, The bobcat in the pic had standard controls. What your seeing is linkage. Get a pic of a joystick unit to compare.. I noticed that the bobcat was dirty and the cat was clean. Did you have to drive to a dealer to get that cat pic? If its not dirty, its not making money....:cool2:

Those pics were taken at the time of the deal, which was a year ago, and what you saw in the Bobcat still hasn't changed much in the past 5 years, still lots of wires everywhere and hoses are impossible to repair unless other parts are taken off to get to them. That's one item I hope gets changed on the new Bobcats from Doosan, tidy things up in there, it's a jungle.
I'd like to pop the cab up again on my Cat, but I don't think it's going to look any different under there, maybe a bit of dust and mud, but I only lift the cab up about 2 times a year, compared to the Bobcat when I was doing it almost 3 times a month.

Junior M
11-18-2008, 11:21 AM
Why were you lifting it up so much on the 190?

finegrade
11-18-2008, 11:58 AM
That because they are broke...............and they need the money.

Bobcat Ron,

Bobcat is'nt broke for your information, maybe because you are a Caterpillar fanatic, you make statements like that, spreading mis-information on this forum does'nt help make lawnsite a better place.
Bobcat is offering this special because of it 50th anniversary, New Holland did the same thing..... Were they broke?
Get it right the next time, we'll respect you for it!

bobcat_ron
11-18-2008, 12:28 PM
Why were you lifting it up so much on the 190?

It was always leaking oil from somewhere, or a hose was rubbing on something that would cause the hose to rupture, so call it preventative maintenance, Cat did a nice job of keeping everything away and keeping things tidy.

Oh and Bobcat was broke, mis-management and poor decisions, they went in the crapper because they over produced machine contrary to the their "zero inventory" policy, and they need to get rid of all their machines pronto.

ksss
11-18-2008, 12:31 PM
Bobcat Ron,

Bobcat is'nt broke for your information, maybe because you are a Caterpillar fanatic, you make statements like that, spreading mis-information on this forum does'nt help make lawnsite a better place.
Bobcat is offering this special because of it 50th anniversary, New Holland did the same thing..... Were they broke?
Get it right the next time, we'll respect you for it!

ZING.............

You have to keep Ron on the straight and narrow path. He likes to throw mud on the wall and see what sticks. If you let it go unchecked, it will stick. I remember he posted a picture of a CASE 95XT with the rams bent with a caption about not building machines like they used to or something like that. The picture had come off of HEF and of course he knew the story of how the bent rams came to be. The owner was ramming trees with the machine. That little gem was not included in his post only the failed rams and the reference to poor quality. His entertainment value outweighs his blantant attempts to discredit anything other than CAT (for me, most of the time).

bobcat_ron
11-18-2008, 12:35 PM
ZING.............

You have to keep Ron on the straight and narrow path. He likes to throw mud on the wall and see what sticks. If you let it go unchecked, it will stick. I remember he posted a picture of a CASE 95XT with the rams bent with a caption about not building machines like they used to or something like that. The picture had come off of HEF and of course he knew the story of how the bent rams came to be. The owner was ramming trees with the machine. That little gem was not included in his post only the failed rams and the reference to poor quality. His entertainment value outweighs his blantant attempts to discredit anything other than CAT (for me, most of the time).

Not poor quality, just long rams on a vertical path, I did say however, Bobcat and Cat will never have those isssues on the Vertical Path's because they use shorter rams, Case, New Holland and Deere will have those issues.

SellingIron
11-18-2008, 12:44 PM
B-Ron, The cat 262B has exposed wiring plugs etc. that are clearly visible from the outside of the machine.(Location: same place bobcat has the blower grills) The wires are clearly in site. Inside the cab of the 257B. You can see the wires inside that power the rear light. You don't see that on a bobcat from the outside of the machine. The only reason to open the cab up is for a leaking or loose hose like you said. There's not to many issues they are having to be in there unless it's a A300..I wonder what it looks like now for cat since they went to electronic over hydraulic controls???:dizzy:

finegrade
11-18-2008, 01:08 PM
ZING.............

KSSS,

Some people just don't realize that there is an opportunity out there for all the manufacturers to survive, I see Bobcat as an american legacy, one that was in no way copied and pasted. Telling half truths, posting pictures comparing apples with grapes etc. all amount to mis-information. By saying Bobcat is bankrupt does more damage than good to the americans who work for dealerships, in the factory or even owners of machines. the truth is that some of these Cat guys have done and continue to do the same thing to Komatsu and Hitachi........ They have spread many tales about all their competitors.
General Motors, Ford and other car companies are struggling as well, JCB in the UK has laid off hundreds, GM's plant in Oshawa Canada has laid off 500....
Yes Bobcat's production has slowed significantly but this is the case with all manufacturers.
Case makes great machines, if you're dumb enough, you can break every machine out there!!!
I would buy a case SSL regardless to what anyone sayd about the cylinder lenght because these machines were built not by guess but by engineering that has been proven.

Finegrade

bobcat_ron
11-18-2008, 06:58 PM
B-Ron, The cat 262B has exposed wiring plugs etc. that are clearly visible from the outside of the machine.(Location: same place bobcat has the blower grills) The wires are clearly in site. Inside the cab of the 257B. You can see the wires inside that power the rear light. :

Oh those wires, now I gotcha.

CarterKraft
11-20-2008, 08:36 AM
KSSS,

Some people just don't realize that there is an opportunity out there for all the manufacturers to survive, I see Bobcat as an american legacy, one that was in no way copied and pasted. Telling half truths, posting pictures comparing apples with grapes etc. all amount to mis-information. By saying Bobcat is bankrupt does more damage than good to the americans who work for dealerships, in the factory or even owners of machines. the truth is that some of these Cat guys have done and continue to do the same thing to Komatsu and Hitachi........ They have spread many tales about all their competitors.
General Motors, Ford and other car companies are struggling as well, JCB in the UK has laid off hundreds, GM's plant in Oshawa Canada has laid off 500....
Yes Bobcat's production has slowed significantly but this is the case with all manufacturers.
Case makes great machines, if you're dumb enough, you can break every machine out there!!!
I would buy a case SSL regardless to what anyone sayd about the cylinder lenght because these machines were built not by guess but by engineering that has been proven.

Finegrade

That is very true. There are allot of things that just amaze me about Bobcat, right angle drive boxes, cogged brakes, and belt driven pumps just to name a few. These items make me shake my head however they have and do work. I personally feel they should update technology and efficency. When I used to work on air cooled I watched CASE darn near run there selfs out of the trencher business due to lack of forsight and the in abillity to change.

Having said all that, do the old school machines work, yes they work well and they make a living for there owners as good as any thing out there,
there just not my style. I don't bash em' but I am obviously biased, as my living depends on it.

rob1325
11-25-2008, 11:29 PM
Replaced the board with warning lights behind upper left dash. This was the problem. Thanks for all your help.

Rob