PDA

View Full Version : q4 herbicide

pts_is_chemlawn
08-21-2008, 11:20 PM
looking for feedback on q4

Stripe This
08-21-2008, 11:53 PM
Getting consistent crabgrass kills w/ surfactant.

grassguy_
08-22-2008, 01:47 AM
Have had good results with Q4, but even better with Momentum Q (lesco/JDL) at abit less cost.

RigglePLC
08-22-2008, 08:32 AM
I prefer to do my crabgrass and weed control separately.

cod8825
08-22-2008, 08:49 AM
Q4 is great it what I use when doing spot spraying because it gives good control of nutsedge.

heritage
08-22-2008, 09:15 AM
Its my new favorite :)

Pete

Stripe This
08-22-2008, 12:34 PM
Heritage,

Are you using the full rate of 3 oz. per 1000?

heritage
08-22-2008, 01:54 PM
Heritage,

Are you using the full rate of 3 oz. per 1000?

(no), 2.1 oz per 1K on Blanket app.

(and Yes) 3 Oz per gal Spot spray with hand can/backpack.

Stubborn Old Wild Violets, hit (2x) 10 days apart......Wastes em'

Pete

TLS
08-22-2008, 03:59 PM
I haven't used it for blanket apps (too expensive), but have been getting excellent results in my backpack sprayer for spot treatments. It's not the best on mature crabgrass, but will stun it a little. Very good on broadleafs and nutsedge (what a year for nutsedge!).

Like the add says, the swiss army knife of herbicides.

heritage
08-22-2008, 05:41 PM
I haven't used it for blanket apps (too expensive), but have been getting excellent results in my backpack sprayer for spot treatments. It's not the best on mature crabgrass, but will stun it a little. Very good on broadleafs and nutsedge (what a year for nutsedge!).

Like the add says, the swiss army knife of herbicides.

Agree about Blanket Cost.

I had a new lawn with quite a lot of Bentgrass in the Rye/Fescue mix.......The Q-4 knocks the Crap out of Bent, as well as Wild Violets.

Pete

Rayholio
08-22-2008, 06:03 PM
Not as effective, or inexpensive as seperate chems combined for desired results.. at least in my experience... Nutsedge kill is ineffective..

americanlawn
08-22-2008, 07:57 PM
Good success with Q4 on crabgrass & foxtail. If there's some nutsedge, I add Manage. I always use a spreader/sticker when I spray with a backpack sprayer (Shurflo SRS 600 battery-powered). Seems Q4 kills much of the nutsedge, but rarely 100%.

naughty62
08-23-2008, 08:10 AM
Had best results applying to dry grass then followed up by watering in or rain 5days after app.I have only done about 12 or so lawns .I have not had any unexpected variables such as unexpected rains ,over watering ,and the dumbxxxs who who insist upon mowing shortly after each app .I have had to reapply on a newer lawn that was ate up with mature barnyard grass , the guy did absolutley nothing, but,scalp his new lawn on a weekly basis

cod8825
08-23-2008, 10:34 AM
Of all the things that Q4 can do probably nutsedge is what it is least effective against. IMO!

Stripe This
08-24-2008, 11:47 AM
Haven't really used it in the Perma Green, again due to the cost. Usually blanket w/ Eliminate plus Hawkeye and spot spraying w/ the full rate (3 oz) Q4.

Haven't found it terribly successful w/ the nutsedge. Anyone have luck w/ the creeping charlie?

Drivefaster35
08-31-2008, 09:08 PM
I just bought 4 gallans of Q4 and getting ready to use it mid week i'll let you all know what i thought of it as we'll until then anybody else have any thoughts or opinions of it. I think i'm going to mix the tank with a little dismiss to control the nutsedge in some of the lawns sounds like it would have good control.

tremor
09-01-2008, 01:48 AM
Quincept offers better knock down (more active) at a lower cost.

greenviewlandscaper
09-02-2008, 10:03 AM
hey this g4 will it actually kill crab grass? cause ive noticed with the trimec alot of the time I got to do two apps before it actually kills it, the firts app will discolor it and second will wipe it out and thats at 3oz a gallon but no sticker cause of the heat.

MrBarefoot
09-02-2008, 05:25 PM
Quincept offers better knock down (more active) at a lower cost.

I too have become a fan of Quincept. It works great, and it goes through a PG.

junior091273
09-02-2008, 07:26 PM
I prefer to do my crabgrass and weed control separately.

I do things the same way,costly product. sure it's universal but we charge

extra for Nutsedge Control.

Three-way

Drive 75

Sedgehammer

dbeckner
09-09-2010, 09:52 AM
how is q4plus working on crabgrass. What rate (oz per gallon) are you spraying at for spot treatment.

lilmarvin4064
09-09-2010, 02:04 PM
Momentum FX2 + Solitare is hard combination to beat. It will smoke just about anything. Crabgrass, nutsedge, kylinga, wild violet, buttonweed, you name it. I've even had varying sucess with nimblewill control with 2 apps. I think Q4 is an ok product. Quincept is pretty good for the price. I used to mix Drive and Dismiss as needed with the FX2 but since Solitare came out, it makes mixing a little easier.

IMO, Surge and T-Zone only have a 1/6th rate of sulfentrazone. Q4 only has a 1/3rd rate.

Toro 44
09-09-2010, 05:06 PM
lilmarvin4064,

Are you doing a blanket app or spot with your solution of solitaire and Momentum FX2? I'm guessing it's expensive to do a blanket app since Solitaire is like $4.00/1,000 by itself.

That sounds like a cool combo. If you don't mind me asking, how much of each do you use in your mix to get control without off target reactions?

lilmarvin4064
09-09-2010, 08:57 PM
That's usually for spot treatments, hard to kill weeds in a backpack.

If it's mostly broadleaves, then I mix a mid rate of FX2 + sticker + some octane.

hand can with the 2 mixed for the different weeds like crab, nutsedge, violets, buttonweed. half to low-rate FX2 + full-rate Solitare.

I do a lot of spotting with multiple mixes. It takes longer, but I use less chemical than most and can offer unparalleled weed control.

Bermuda control = .65oz of Ornamec (over-rate)+ .75oz of Turflon + sticker with moderate fescue discoloration. I haven't had good results with Acclaim + Turflon this year. That O+T combo also toasted some annual sedge, windmillgrass, goosegrass mix I sprayed it on.

docjones
09-09-2010, 09:18 PM
Momentum FX2 + Solitare is hard combination to beat. It will smoke just about anything. Crabgrass, nutsedge, kylinga, wild violet, buttonweed, you name it. I've even had varying sucess with nimblewill control with 2 apps. I think Q4 is an ok product. Quincept is pretty good for the price. I used to mix Drive and Dismiss as needed with the FX2 but since Solitare came out, it makes mixing a little easier.

IMO, Surge and T-Zone only have a 1/6th rate of sulfentrazone. Q4 only has a 1/3rd rate.

I'm a rookie so please don't take this wrong but why do you need to mix Solitare with anything when it can control and/or suppress all the things you list here without the need for Momentum FX2? Thanks.

lilmarvin4064
09-09-2010, 09:27 PM
There are a some limitations with Solitare. There are some broadleafs it won't kill by itself in 1 app. Momentum is cheaper than Solitare.

lilmarvin4064
09-09-2010, 09:38 PM
To be honest, I've never used Solitare by itself. If I have a yard that is 75% crab and nutsedge, I'll mix in a low-rate of FX2 to help with the 25% broadleafs there. But I have noticed MUCH better weed control (on ANYTHING) using the mix, rather than using either product alone.

docjones
09-10-2010, 12:52 AM
just wondered if you had tried solitare alone to see if you would get same result and not have to mix.....thanks for the info.....good stuff.

Toro 44
09-10-2010, 07:10 AM
Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to pick up some solitaire today.

I also have a lot of momentum Q. I'm thinking about spiking it with Dismiss. It would be a similar mixture.

I like the idea of spot spraying because you can use top shelf chemicals that you couldn't normally use for shear cost if you were blanketing the lawn. Problem is that I have a couple 2 acre properties infested with sedge = hours of spot spraying. But I net more when I spot spray.

Again, thanks for the info.

PR Fect
09-10-2010, 02:24 PM
For those with more time than money. We mix or own " Q-4". 2 oz Three-Way, 1 oz spreader sticker, .734 oz Quinclorac, 2 Gal water in back pack. About 1/3 cost of Q-4. Also works on blanket sprays in our big sprayers. Have had just as good or better control than the Q-4 we first tried.

lilmarvin4064
09-10-2010, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to pick up some solitaire today.

I also have a lot of momentum Q. I'm thinking about spiking it with Dismiss. It would be a similar mixture.

I like the idea of spot spraying because you can use top shelf chemicals that you couldn't normally use for shear cost if you were blanketing the lawn. Problem is that I have a couple 2 acre properties infested with sedge = hours of spot spraying. But I net more when I spot spray.

Again, thanks for the info.

That's more like Q4, but at least you could control the mount of sulfentrazone you're using. Momentum Q is like Quincept, and really nothing like the FX2. FX2 contains 2,4-D triclopyr and fluroxypyr. The Q is just 2,4-D, dicamba and quin'. There's something about the tric' and flurox' that just "works". I don't miss the dicamba one bit.

lilmarvin4064
09-10-2010, 02:44 PM
For those with more time than money. We mix or own " Q-4". 2 oz Three-Way, 1 oz spreader sticker, .734 oz Quinclorac, 2 Gal water in back pack. About 1/3 cost of Q-4. Also works on blanket sprays in our big sprayers. Have had just as good or better control than the Q-4 we first tried.

But you're missing the sulfentrazone (Dismiss). To make things easier, you could just use Momentum Q or Quincept. The only thing you have extra with your mix is MCPP

Toro 44
09-10-2010, 08:22 PM
Thanks for pointing out the difference between Momentum FX2 and Momentum Q.

jburg42
09-24-2012, 06:02 PM
anyone use drive xlr compared to q-4. Any thoughts?

overtona
10-01-2012, 10:33 AM
anyone use drive xlr compared to q-4. Any thoughts?
XLR is cheaper than Q4. I did a test between the two in a vacant lot next to my house on CG. Both worked well. Make sure that you use MSO with the XLR8 though. mSO worked better than my normal sticker.

Sharpedge3
09-03-2014, 01:07 PM
How are you guys charging for Q4 applications?
Posted via Mobile Device

Sharpedge3
09-03-2014, 10:55 PM
XLR is cheaper than Q4. I did a test between the two in a vacant lot next to my house on CG. Both worked well. Make sure that you use MSO with the XLR8 though. mSO worked better than my normal sticker.
Drive doesn't kill nutsedge but does good on crabgrass
Posted via Mobile Device