PDA

View Full Version : LED Post Lamp

jshimmin
08-22-2008, 09:57 AM
I have a group that wants to pull out their existing gas lamps and replace them with LED's. I have not found an LED fixture that looks decent in an 8' post fixture. Most of the current fixtures are at the driveway and provide an esthetic look but no functionality. They want some light that is actually useable for the drive and sidewalk areas.

Anyone have a fixture idea that would work?

MarcSmith
08-22-2008, 10:14 AM
I had an unmetered gas lamp at my house, 18 bucks a month it only lasted 2 months... I replace the entire lamp and fixture assembly. with a nice brass 3 way and used candeablra CFLs. tied it into the circuit for the lamps at the front stoop with a photocell.

You'll have to run electric to the lamps. unless you go solar, then you'll end up have to do some custom work I'm sure...

Personally I'm not real fond of the LED light(color) I have not seen any that really do anything for me. either too soft or too harsh...I know I wasn't much help...Good luck....and a free bump

S&MLL
08-22-2008, 11:36 AM
You should be able to retrofit something into any standard fixture. Why the need for led?

jshimmin
08-22-2008, 01:52 PM
LED is perceived as going "Green" along with the 20k hour plus lifespan. I have an SC type retro-kit with frosted bulbs that looks close to a gas mantle from a distance that will work if an LED retro-kit cannot be found.