PDA

View Full Version : Best Push Spreader

villagegreenlandscape
08-22-2008, 01:57 PM
My old Lesco push spreader is showing its age and I'm thinking about buy a new spreader. I've heard the new Lesco ones aren't good anymore. Is there a better one out there somewhere?

tamadrummer
08-22-2008, 02:32 PM
I use a Prizelawn CBR III SS

It is an excellent spreader! Granted I did not buy it, it was given to me and I also do not do many fertilizations. I do my own and a couple of customers that don't demand me to use any pesticides with the fert.

I don't know what they cost but whatever it is, it is worth the money!

americanlawn
08-22-2008, 08:51 PM
Spyker 288 super. Bar none.

RigglePLC
08-22-2008, 10:58 PM
The Chinese-made Lesco spreaders look OK. Long adjustable handles. You need stainless steel for corrosion protection. You need a good system for pattern correction (like the Anderson's helical cone). One big hole is better than three small ones--maybe. Do you plan to roll onto a trailer? Or...lift onto a pickup? The weight is important if you need to lift it (make sure it is less than 35 pounds). Get the edger attachment, screen, and hopper cover, whatever you decide on. .

treemonkey
08-23-2008, 04:39 PM
You need a good system for pattern correction (like the Anderson's helical cone). One big hole is better than three small ones--maybe.

Seems like the "internet consensus" (for whatever that is worth) is that the Andersons excels in good spread pattern/adjustment.

Many complain about Lesco's spread pattern. My experience with the Lesco is that I can achieve a uniform spread pattern IF I do an actual calibration adjustment regime as outlined at this site:

http://www.members.aol.com/groundkprs/calibration.html

Even with this, I find my Lesco to be finicky and that from year to year, the output can change using the "same" product.....I wonder how much the product changes from season to season.

American...this leads us to your raving reviews of the Spyker 288. It is marketed as handling "bigger" products like mulch pellets if I recollect. It has only one hole. I see no adjustment for spread pattern (left/right).

So, how does it do with regular fertilizer granules vs. their other Spyker models?

Have you ever done a spread pattern test with collection pans? Seat of the pants (no stripes) is not good enough for me.

I want to believe in your assessment because I am tired of tweaking my Lesco all the time (last generation model, U.S. made).

Thanks.....this is a friendly challenge for you, American, to come up with some hard facts (or tell me how to), above anecdotal evidence.......PS, I respect you and your posts here.

Lbilawncare
08-23-2008, 04:47 PM
I have a Spyker thunderbird which is the 288 with a motor. I like the spread pattern and it is very durable. I haven't seen the non-motorized units in person, but I assume they are pretty much similar. Lesco spreaders are "the standard" of the industry, but who wants the standard, we all want something better and more durable.

tremor
08-23-2008, 05:28 PM
Anderson's SR2000.

villagegreenlandscape
08-27-2008, 06:44 PM
Do you plan to roll onto a trailer? Or...lift onto a pickup? The weight is important if you need to lift it (make sure it is less than 35 pounds). Get the edger attachment, screen, and hopper cover, whatever you decide on. .

It will be lifted onto a truck. Is there a reason I've never seen a stainless steel push spreader here in Texas?

RigglePLC
08-27-2008, 10:58 PM
Village,
Spreader is easier to lift if it has a handle on the side of the hopper. Spreaders should be stainless steel.
Maybe with your low humidity in Texas--maybe you don't have much rust. Does all your equipment look like new--even where the paint is chipped off. Do you ever bother to paint your snowplow or salt spreader? Wait--you don't have that stuff--do you?

Put a stainless steel eyebolt in place of one of the spreader handle bolts. Use it to attach a snap hook to keep spreader retained and upright in the truck bed. Use padlock when eating lunch.

ted putnam
08-27-2008, 11:29 PM
It will be lifted onto a truck. Is there a reason I've never seen a stainless steel push spreader here in Texas?

Is it because most applicators are Aggies and they aren't smart enough to use stainless?...Just a Razorback poking a little fun...

quiet
08-28-2008, 12:06 AM
Maybe with your low humidity in Texas--maybe you don't have much rust. Does all your equipment look like new--even where the paint is chipped off. Do you ever bother to paint your snowplow or salt spreader? Wait--you don't have that stuff--do you?

Where would that low humidity be? Ever been to Houston? (man, you better walk right). Houston is an outdoor steambath.

Maybe out in West Texas . . . but there's nuthin' west of Hwy 281 worth fussin' over.

quiet
08-28-2008, 12:13 AM
Is it because most applicators are Aggies and they aren't smart enough to use stainless?...Just a Razorback poking a little fun...

You nailed it ol' buddy!

BTW

An aggie bought an old pick-up and took it show his aggie buddy.

"Let's check it out and see if it all works. Try the turn signal"

So the other one gets behind the truck.

"Does the signal work?"

"Yeah, it does. Wait, no it don't. Oh! yeah it does. Wait, no it don't!"

ted putnam
08-28-2008, 12:33 AM
You nailed it ol' buddy!

BTW

An aggie bought an old pick-up and took it show his aggie buddy.

"Let's check it out and see if it all works. Try the turn signal"

So the other one gets behind the truck.

"Does the signal work?"

"Yeah, it does. Wait, no it don't. Oh! yeah it does. Wait, no it don't!"

That's a good one:laugh:

FdLLawnMan
08-28-2008, 02:28 AM
I am with American on this one. The Spyker Super 288 is great. It has a deflector to adjust the pattern left or right. It never plugs, is easy to calibrate, and is very consistent.

Marcos
08-28-2008, 03:21 AM
We used to run all Lescos.
But the newer Chinese ones are absolute garbage!!!

I bought four of them this winter, without knowing that there was any difference at all.
But differences in QUALITY became apparent...with the very first day of 'break out' spreading this spring!

So...after I returned the 3 spreaders that we didn't use, I decided to go on a Star Trek-style "ongoing mission" :laugh:, looking for used 'older style' stainless Lescos on e-bay, estate auctions, etc.
I even told my wife and sisters to keep their eyes peeled for them at yard/garage sales.

So far, so good!
I got one from e-bay for under $150 in excellent shape, and another at an auction for only $90. Both stainless, only one with a deflector, though.

fishmagnet
10-12-2008, 01:55 PM
We recently purchased a Spyker 48 on e-bay and have used it the past several weeks with excellent results.

It's a small hopper (55#) and all stainless construction with enclosed metal gears.

Spyker doesn't show it on their website line of offereings, not sure why.

Also heard Spyker was just recently purchased by some other landscape-related entity, anyone know who?

Rayholio
10-12-2008, 04:31 PM
I HAVE the sr2000, and before that I had the spyker 55lb model..

they BOTH have acceptable spread patterns.. They're both durable.. They both are accurate..

The SR2000 has the deflector.. which stops 80% of the fert from going to the right...
but since we STILL have to blow off sidewalks, it really doesn't make any difference..

The SR2000 is bigger, heavier.. harder to push, and I've sheered off every pin in the thing at least once, and a couple of them broke several times. We've started JB welding parts together in addition to the pin. The Mechanisim that opens and closes the fert door in the base of the hopper has somehow got bent, possibly by getting granular stuck in the track, and the bar that connects to the on-off switch is also always bent.. and impossible to straiten. This makes the door hair-triggered. Hit a bump, and the door comes full open while in route to the next job..

The mechanisim that operates the door on the sr2000 is BETTER than the spyker.. WHEN IT WORKS. With the spyker, I had to slam the lever forward to make sure I was getting the door all the way open.. the sr2000 opens full, every time.

The Spyker sheered off the drive wheel pin once. thats about it. It had smaller capicity, but it was MUCH easier to push, the kickstand didn't get in the way like the sr2000 on does, and I never had any trouble with the Door...

This is getting long... but bottom line, my next one will be a spyker. That's what everyone uses on their ride-ons and the single hole system has been proven. I like the way my old spyker worked a lot better than my new sr2000.. and the spyker is less expensive... bonus.

americanlawn
10-12-2008, 05:50 PM
All Spyker 288's have the [patented] "Accuway" adjustment for varying the spread patterns (for tiny particle size products). We bought 288's before ANY "ride-on companies" switched over to Spyker:laugh:. One could call this 'lucky', but I think not. We stride to be a 'step ahead' when it comes to new technology.....this is just one example.:weightlifter:

Yes, we tried the "placing pans" thing. No prob. Since switching to Spyker, we have NEVER had a service call for "streaked lawns".

Last year, we picked up several accounts cuz the previous LCO used a LESCO spreader....seems the impeller pin shelled out, and they killed strips of turf in many lawns.

With the Spyker, there are no pins to unexpectedly break. IMO there is no way to streak or kill turfgrass when using a Spyker. There is no way to "streak" with a 288 cuz the overlap is so great. (the more the overlap, the better/safer). Hope this helps. :usflag:

Seems like the "internet consensus" (for whatever that is worth) is that the Andersons excels in good spread pattern/adjustment.

Many complain about Lesco's spread pattern. My experience with the Lesco is that I can achieve a uniform spread pattern IF I do an actual calibration adjustment regime as outlined at this site:

http://www.members.aol.com/groundkprs/calibration.html

Even with this, I find my Lesco to be finicky and that from year to year, the output can change using the "same" product.....I wonder how much the product changes from season to season.

American...this leads us to your raving reviews of the Spyker 288. It is marketed as handling "bigger" products like mulch pellets if I recollect. It has only one hole. I see no adjustment for spread pattern (left/right).

So, how does it do with regular fertilizer granules vs. their other Spyker models?

Have you ever done a spread pattern test with collection pans? Seat of the pants (no stripes) is not good enough for me.

I want to believe in your assessment because I am tired of tweaking my Lesco all the time (last generation model, U.S. made).

Thanks.....this is a friendly challenge for you, American, to come up with some hard facts (or tell me how to), above anecdotal evidence.......PS, I respect you and your posts here.

lawn king
10-12-2008, 05:55 PM
I just keep rebuilding my 1st generation lescos, i really dislike the 2nd generation lescos.

americanlawn
10-12-2008, 06:08 PM
I hear ya buddy --- NONE of my guys/gals like the 2nd generation LESCO spreaders. I sold one (like new) for 75 bucks 2 weeks ago.

I just keep rebuilding my 1st generation lescos, i really dislike the 2nd generation lescos.

Whitey4
10-13-2008, 10:14 PM
Does Spyker use distributors, or do they sell direct?

ted putnam
10-13-2008, 11:12 PM

I get a catologue from a company called A.M Leonard. They sell some of them. I saw some of the 55# models the guys were talking about and a couple other Spyker specialty spreaders. They may sell direct too. I don't know.

Whitey4
10-13-2008, 11:24 PM
I was looking at the 46... suits my needs. I only treat about 25 properties now, and that hopefully will double by next year. Small properties, low volume, lots of beds and walkways... I want a side deflector, and 55 lbs is plenty capacity for me.

As you may know Ted, apps is about 30% of my billing income, ther rest is from maintemance, installs, designs and that stuff. I am not an apps only guy like most of you folks.

Any other low volume users have the 46? Because of my low volume, I can avoid the rust problems and other issues that most of you encounter... if it rains, the spreader stays unused and sheltered.

ted putnam
10-14-2008, 09:35 AM
I was looking at the 46... suits my needs. I only treat about 25 properties now, and that hopefully will double by next year. Small properties, low volume, lots of beds and walkways... I want a side deflector, and 55 lbs is plenty capacity for me.

As you may know Ted, apps is about 30% of my billing income, ther rest is from maintemance, installs, designs and that stuff. I am not an apps only guy like most of you folks.

Any other low volume users have the 46? Because of my low volume, I can avoid the rust problems and other issues that most of you encounter... if it rains, the spreader stays unused and sheltered.

Whitey, I looked in that A.M. Leonard catalogue and they have the Spyker 46 in there on sale for $159.95 and the barrier shield for $59.45. Says it controls apps to 3 feet wide. You may find a better price somewhere else. They carry lots of high quality hand tools also. I buy my marking flags and have bought my Kelway PH meters and various other items through them. Hope this helps.

DUSTYCEDAR
10-14-2008, 10:00 AM
I LIKE MY LESCO SS STEEL SPREADERS
i beat the crap out of them and they keep going

americanlawn
10-14-2008, 06:05 PM
Spyker prefers to use distributors, but they will sell parts direct. Also....call Spyker & they will tell you what distributors sell their spreaders for the best prices. I know we bought some from "Ray's" someplace out east.

fishmagnet
10-15-2008, 06:25 PM
There's a fella on e-bay who sells Spyker Spreaders, Agridealer is his handle.

I bought my all stainless 48 from him, no problems.

He can also source other models in Spykers line and his prices appear to be reasonable.

I called a local dealer here in DFW, and he quoted me $329 + tax for the all stainless 48.

Agridealer offers the 48 for $275, no tax, no shipping!

If you don't need the #100 capacity 288, the 48 is his little brother, and is built and performs similarly! :usflag:

lawn king
10-15-2008, 07:26 PM
We got 2 free lesco spreaders in a promotion last season because of our huge allectus order, i sold them as fast as i could!